The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Postby brontan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm

You know i feel like we failed a spot check... oh well
Trips on rocks
Loving the way Clan fourem works out its problems, Trips walks into the center square while shouting obsenities about the thieves mothers.
Trips on Rocks Survived till round 73
Hp 0/5
attack:0 (Dead)
defence:0 (Dead)
app: 0 (Dead)
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby notimportant on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Or a Sense Motive.
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby TanaNari on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah, I know, we're probably going to find out something ugly very soon. But if we hold back and do nothing, we'll lose period. At least *this* way we get it done early and know to avoid it later when the threat is much greater.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BurnsBees on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:52 pm

SPOILERS:What does the red in the bar mean?
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby brontan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm

its the crowd gauge, right now we are in the negative 5, because the crowd guage is based off our average app.
Hp 0/5
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ArdentSilver on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I've been having power outages all night :(. Said power outage already ate my first post. :(

Raises Eyebrows

Raises Eyebrows finds himself being pushed along with the charging goblin bodies into the center of the arena. "Hey, hey -- Keeper of Doors! Do you remember that story the Teller used to tell, the one about that magic hero? Captain Arm Ica? I have a shield. Didn't he have a shield?" Raises Eyebrows idly toys with the buckler. "I think his was red though. Red and blue. Hey, hey, Lives by the Sword -- wouldn't this shield be cool if it had a spike right about here?"

**Move to center of arena**
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cragspyder on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 am

I don't recall "Captain Arm Ica's" shield having a spike...

Though I guess it could be thrown, its not a Buckler of Returning though!
Cragspyder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ratha on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:26 pm

"Ahhhh, yes." says Doors, taking a brief pause from shouting obscenities at the thieves. "I remember the Teller telling us about Captain Arm Ica. I liked them, but I kept being elsewhere whenever the Teller was telling those stories."

Doors looks around. "I don't see anything we can use to make the buckler look like that. Maybe we can think of something later though. For all that people are killing each other, this is a show, so colourful weaponry would probably be favourable."
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby notimportant on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Not Important envies Eyebrows ability to imagine himself as a great hero from the Stories, just because he found a round piece of wood.

"Captain Arm Ica was defeated by an ancient dragon, so mighty that the mere mention of its name could suck you out of existence. You wouldn't want to be like him."
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby ArdentSilver on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:05 pm

notimportant wrote:Not Important envies Eyebrows ability to imagine himself as a great hero from the Stories, just because he found a round piece of wood.

"Captain Arm Ica was defeated by an ancient dragon, so mighty that the mere mention of its name could suck you out of existence. You wouldn't want to be like him."

"Are you kidding?" Raises Eyebrows... arches the hair above his eyes. "I mean, yeah, dying would suck, but everyone would remember my name! They'd be all like, 'Hey, do you remember 'Raises Eyebrows'? He got eaten by a dragon. What a way to go, but damn if he didn't look fine doing it. I think he was striking a pose when the dragon finally tore him to pieces. Man, if he was still here today, I'd give him lots of important stuff, on account of him looking so cool and being so memorable"

Raises Eyebrows continues to ramble, but quieter, to himself.

*Fixed typo.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

The Goblins advance as one. The Criminals... less so.

"You guys are such asses."

"Ho ho! Looks like the goblins understand the advantage of numbers better than the condemned! But the real question is, can they fight?"

The Crowd hushes briefly in anticipation of first blood...

SPOILERS:Hmm, I might have to come up with some size/spacing rules. That giant mass of goblins is a little silly looking. Also I think a Charge mechanic is definitely in order here. Oh well, live and learn. You think I got everything right in Last Ditch Dungeon the first time around? Pffft no.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ratha on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

"This is it!" thinks Keeper of Doors. "And they come in lesser numbers! PERFECT!"

Keeper of Doors lets off a loud battle cry. Yell the loudest, and hopefully they'll look at you first, before other, less well armoured people. He jumps to attack the first crook, trying to avoid the knife, and deliver a hard kick.

"FOR CLAN... FOUREEEEEEEM!!!"
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby notimportant on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Not Important
Not Important waits until the first knife human notices Doors charging him, and runs in from an angle, trying to stay unnoticed. He then leaps onto the first knife human's back, and pulls their blue headband down over their eyes. He then tries to cling to the human's back, while keeping its eyes covered and possibly getting a few bites and scratches in as well.

Summary: Attack the first human, in an underhanded fashion.
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby TanaNari on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Nine to two? Sweet. Same spread I gave before, but the two that were targetting the third and fourth criminal, hit the second knifer. Everyone else- dogpile the first guy. Ok, I'll need someone else to join me in a leg attack. I got the right, someone (anyone without a weapon or armor) take the left. Let's trip this guy and kill him in the most horrifying way we can.

Aims darts quickly at the second knifer, the one he was staring down, then at the last possible moment slams into the first knifer's leg- aiming to take out one of his feet and (if possible) break the kneecap in the process to take his body down to a more desirable level for the rest of the team.
Last edited by TanaNari on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ArdentSilver on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Raises Eyebrows

"aha!" Shouts Raises Eyebrows. "Distracted, I see!" The goblin leans forward, buckler leading, attempting to cram as much of his head and torso behind his pitiful shield as he can. "Have at thy, kneecaps! Aroaaaaa!"

The goblin bravely bolts towards the bandit *not* being menaced by Keeper of Doors. Heedless of any more meaningful combat tactics, he runs straight for the thief's knees. "The bigger they are, the harder they fall--the bigger they are, the harder they fall -- the bigger they are THE HARDER THEY FALL. Aroaaaaaa!"
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby brontan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Trips on Rocks
"Yes! Trip him! The irony!" Trip said falling into a fit of maniacal laughing as he jumps onto the second thug's face trying to stab out his eyes.
Hp 0/5
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RandomMerc on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Get Away:

I attempt to leap off one of my fellow goblin's heads (if they allow me), spear one of the crooks in the eye, tear it out of his head and with whatever momentum is left bounce off his face and leap at the other crook to attack (jump kick or spear in the heart).
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm

A thought enters Not Important's mind: Maybe it would have been more sporting of us to let two goblins face off against the two humans? Since he is doing his best to cling to an enemy at the time, the thought passes unnoticed through the mind, and back to where it came from.
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Betrays A Friend

Is the other thief looking back to his unarmored partners? Hmmh, I wonder what they really are up to, or are they up to anything at all.... Well, it still should not make too much of a difference in the end, we still need to attack..

Betrays looks a little warily on the humans and wonders why they would spread up like this, but he would nevertheless has to attack with the rest of the group and does not let himself wonder about trivial matters more than he already has. He charges to the second knifer hoping that the knifer would concentrade on him and not to the other goblins, who then might have a better angle to attack the human. Just before the human Betrays jumps in to the air charging in to the humans torso with all his strength hoping to strike the human down to the ground with his weight. at the same time he lands on the human he will also punch him in to the stomach, hoping this would make him fall more easily.
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby TanaNari on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:40 pm

I thought of something, LSN... instead of doing a side scroll, do a "top view". So there could be a "chessboard" grid for us to play with. Or if you're feeling fancy, a hex grid.

This will let you place items in various squares, and make movement tactics both valid and valuable in the scheme of the fight. Basically like a standard tabletop game.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AdjectiveNoun on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm

EatsAnAdventurer

The nigh-constant stream of semi-relevant rambling from Eats is cut off suddenly in startlement as Get Away tries to climb on her. She reacts quickly and gives him a boost, letting him launch off her shoulders for the criminal's face. After a moment's reeling, she piles into the heap of goblins on the first knifer, pummelling, kicking, and somehow ending up chewing at his ankles.

"Uuurhhll! Uhihoksh!" (Translation: Ewww! Dirty socks!)

Arena Slaves
EatsAnAdventurer
HP 1/5
ATK 1
DEF 1
APP 7
AdjectiveNoun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LoneStarNorth on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:08 pm

TanaNari wrote:I thought of something, LSN... make the game ten times as complicated but still update every night.

Basically like a standard tabletop game.

:smug:
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby TanaNari on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't know HOW complicated updating is. But would a grid from above really be that bad? I'd imagine it'd be simpler, really. We'd just have to have numbers on the grids so each of us could declare which spot we move to.

And I could lend you any gridded format you could ask for- I got a nice spreadsheet program I use to do it all the time.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby michael7050 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I like the current system, personally, however, maybe an overhead screenshot just to show positions, before the current slot.

I personally really like the current set out, and I don't feel there's anything wrong with it.....yet.

(except for the mass of goblins, which does look kinda bad.)

Maybe only grant a charge move at the beginning of each battle, and even then, only 3/5 charges available to the group as a whole, to stagger them out a little.

Just my tuppence worth.
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby LoneStarNorth on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Updating the thread takes somewhere in the vicinity of a half hour, and there are two threads. Sometimes they take longer if I decide to be fancy and draw an action panel (hasn't come up here yet, but plenty in Last Ditch).

The real pain would be redrawing the arena and all the characters and items from a top-down perspective. Furthermore, is it going to be five spaces long? Then the same clutter problem is going to come up. Is it going to be bigger, like nine by nine? One character per space? Is everyone going to need a Move stat? And I'd have to keep track of who is in what square, you'd have to keep track as players in between updates so as not to get in each others' way. And there are other baddies, items, and rules that haven't come into play yet which would need to be rewritten. Like Last Ditch Dungeon, you guys are going to have to play the game to learn why everything is the way it is.

The design goal for these games is to achieve a certain feel (dungeon crawl, arena combat) while keeping the mechanics as simple as possible so people won't be frightened off, and so I can update quickly. I believe the current rules (with the addition of a Charge, just to correct the issue of pacing) accomplish this. In retrospect I should have just staggered the goblins differently, in three rows instead of two. Once I start drawing everyone in action poses things will clear up a bit. And I suspect this kind of mass charge won't happen all the time anyway.

So: I like the set-up as is and will keep it that way. But I might run a different style in another game. Or any of you could run it! Game mastering isn't as scary as it looks.

Game masters, on the other hand...
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games