The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Postby notimportant on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Not Important
Not Important freaks out when the guards talk about what happens to prisoners who try to smuggle weapons into the cells. He thanks his inconspiciousness they didn't catch him. Maybe being unimportant can actually be helpful! he thinks to himself.
Once in the cell, he searches the walls for any bricks or stones that look like they could be dug out with the help of his dagger. He supposes the beds will be searched periodically, and keeping the dagger in his mouth does not seem very appealing (he needs to eat his runny mush). If he finds a suitable piece of wall, preferably in a blind area from the posted guard (if any), he goes to work on quietly removing the stone/brick by scraping the mortar around it with the hilt, or dull side of the blade. If he manages to loosen a stone, he will attempt to dig a hole behind it large enough to put the dagger in. He is very careful not to make too much noise, and tries to look out for patrolling guards as well.
Should he not find the walls diggable, he will instead inspect the beds for good stashing places. If the walls are diggable, but the work is slow (would take more than five turns), then he does as much digging as he can before going to inspect the beds.

Not Important does not take any extra mush, and gestures his opinion that it should be reserved for the Disabled goblins. That, or he gestures there's an imminent Rhino attack incoming from the south, you can't be sure.

Summary: Dig a hole, hide dagger. This may take several turns.
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Question: Do we get the 1 point of healing now, or as the 5 turns end?
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby TanaNari on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Ok, dibs on the extra ration. I need a bit of a heal if I'm going to hope to be useful next battle. Since presumably that'll put me at not incapacitated- thus (hopefully) letting me have 3hp at the end if I don't actually take any actions.

Am I right on that guess, LSN?
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ratha on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Keeper sure as hell votes that the extra rations go to Lives and Aims. They'll be almost no use at 1hp tomorrow. 2hp would benefit them greatly.

Meanwhile:

Keeper eats his ration (not an extra, just the one that's his) and then heads over to the cell door. He examines the lock, hinges, bars, and mounting. He has something of a thing for doors, and might notice if this one has any flaws. Is the lock a simple pattern, unlockable by a makeshift tension wrench (like, say, a dagger) combined with a twisted pin? Are the hinges secured at both ends? Are the bars solid the whole way through, or are they loosly connected to their parts of the door? Are the hinges buried deep in the mounting, or could they be pried loose?

He is the Keeper of DOORS after all.
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ArdentSilver on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Raises Eyebrows

Raises Eyebrows attempts to do two things; First, he tries to climb the door. Clearly, there's nowhere special to climb *to*, but at least it'll put him eye level with any guards outside. "Hey! Hey! I have a question!" calls Eyebrows to the retreating guard. "Those hanging cages! What are they for, yeah? Are they good cages or do I not want to be in them? Are those the "we beat you within an inch of your life and you don't get to fight today reward" cages?"

"Also, do you guards watch the arena fights?"

Raises Eyebrows is okay with not eating his ration (he doesn't need the healing after all; besides, he ate a bit of human shin earlier, and he's still kinda full) -- conceivably, that might allow Aims For the Genitals to regain an additional, additional hp?

PS. The crowd favor bar ended up with 4 green bars, and we wound up with 2 extra rations. Possibly related?
Last edited by ArdentSilver on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Everyone gets their daily healing at the end of these 5 turns, before battle. It represents the bare minimum of sleep you need to function, the same way as you all had the bare minimum food. It's just too risky not to take these bare minimums when you have to fight the next day, so you don't get an option.

The extra rations and extra resting go beyond that. Since you ate BEFORE these five turns, whoever eats the extras gains their 1 hp NOW. The extra resting only benefits after the full 5 turns.

And TaraNari: You're at 0 Hp right now, so the extra ration puts you at 1 and lets you act, and if your only actions are resting and talking, then yes, you will start the next round at 3 Hp.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby brontan on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Trips on Rocks
Trips inspects the room. Seeing the door as the only escape route he walks up to it and begins to fidget with the lock.
Trips on Rocks Survived till round 73
Hp 0/5
attack:0 (Dead)
defence:0 (Dead)
app: 0 (Dead)
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cragspyder on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Lives by the Sword

"I would certainly appreciate the extra rations, though, I believe I will need someone to feed it to me."

Since I don't think I can actually take the action to eat with 0 hp, anyways.

I am sure folks are eager to to explore the room, and I think I will need the extra HP tomorrow, so Lives by the Sword will be resting (unless of course, a chance to escape materializes.
Cragspyder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AdjectiveNoun on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 am

EatsAnAdventurer

Eats climbs to the highest bunk in the corner and goes all floppy.

"Pheeew, I am tired! I think I'm gonna stay up here and take a nap..."

She then proceeds to give the lie to her words by chattering on. Though from the amount of sense she's making, she might have fallen asleep after all, but nobody's told her mouth.

"I don't like being kicked around by humans all day! Plus, they're bigger than us, which means people climb on me, and I think I have toe-gunk in my ear... I wonder whose this is? I hope it's not mine, I don't remember hitting the floor that hard... but would I remember it? Did I get a concussion today? Can somebody tell me? Did I miss anything?"

She can't think of anything more helpful to do than just staying where she is and giving her battered limbs some rest.

"Hey, guys, what's that grey thing by the door? I'd get up and look, but I'm too lazy..."
Arena Slaves
EatsAnAdventurer
HP 1/5
ATK 1
DEF 1
APP 7
AdjectiveNoun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ratha on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Cragspyder wrote:Lives by the Sword

"I would certainly appreciate the extra rations, though, I believe I will need someone to feed it to me."

Since I don't think I can actually take the action to eat with 0 hp, anyways.

I am sure folks are eager to to explore the room, and I think I will need the extra HP tomorrow, so Lives by the Sword will be resting (unless of course, a chance to escape materializes.

Actually, that's a good question. Lonestar, can they eat the extra rations themselves and still get the extra hp from resting? If not, I'm going to change my first item to feeding one of the wounded goblins.
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors

One Hand
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Disabled people can't do anything here (unless they eat the extra mush, which they CAN call dibs on despite being Disabled).

I figured this explained it but here it is anyway:

Disabled people can eat their own mush without needing to be fed. This is a Disabled status that mimics Goblins, not D&D. If you guys can complain about the stabilization rules (which we also don't have here), then you can eat runny mush. It's not that much harder. Eating it also doesn't count as your entire action if you want to do other things, but I believe both the mush-eaters are resting tonight anyway.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ratha on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Understood. My original action shall stand. Thanks.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors

One Hand
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby notimportant on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do in here. The first round of tentative exploring might reveal something we can do, but I doubt we'll escape before the next battle. Those with less than 4 HP might as well rest, unless you have something you really want to try.
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

This first time will also give us some information if there is any guard chages in here, and when do the cleaners usually come here and so on, so I do not think we should try to do anything dangereous just yet, we will certanly learn more after this first time not being in battle. At least I hope so.
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby LoneStarNorth on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:21 pm

In the top cell, Keeper Of Doors inspects his namesake. The door is constructed of strong steel bars which are spaced too close together for a Goblin to fit through, unless that Goblin were unusually spry or had no head. The lock appears sturdy, but due to its large size it could potentially be picked. The only trick is finding something equally sturdy to pick it with.

Raises Eyebrows climbs the door and shouts at the Guard, but he has already left. It appears this area is not guarded or patrolled at this late hour. Unless you count that Owlbear over in the far corner; he seems a little ornery about all the noise.

Get Away puts his shoulder to the door and hurts himself. Ow.

Aims eats the extra mush and then tries to get some sleep.

In the lower cell, the story is about the same. Trips tries to work the lock but has no success with his bare hands. Betrays checks out the walls, but they are sturdy stone. It'd take you years to dig through them! There are no windows or grates either. These cells are really quite secure.

Since the walls can't be scraped apart, Not Important looks for somewhere else to stash the Dagger during the day. These mattresses look like they haven't been moved (or washed) in ages, so you could probably hide your Dagger in them safely so long as you don't raise suspicion amongst the Guards.

Lives By The Sword is having a little trouble getting to sleep because of Eaten's constant stream of questions and observations.

As the answer to one of those questions: the grey thing by the door is a bucket. It is used to hold food and feces, but they wash it in between. You hope. Having emptied them of food some time ago, you've all been using them for their secondary purpose, and they're each about half full.

Gross.

Turns left until next Battle: 4

SPOILERS:Don't worry, Lives' rest isn't being disrupted in terms of game mechanics :wink:
Last edited by LoneStarNorth on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby TanaNari on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Right. So my actions are eat and heal, so as to gain as much restoration of health as possible. Beyond that, I'll simply monitor others' ideas and make suggestions. Since talking and listening are free and don't count.

Examining the locks are a good plan. I wouldn't try to chat with the guards to avoid calling attention. We're doing a LOT of activity, we don't want to be noticed. They'll be expecting us to try and get away as much as possible today. We shouldn't try it until we're under less observation. Given the damage we've suffered- escape now would be insane, so even if the dagger CAN pick the lock, we should probably stay put. They seem to reward combat performance, hopefully we'll be able to find more stuff of use.

Having been beaten pretty badly, Aims rests up in order to prepare for what promises to be an even worse fight tomorrow. After all, they didn't go easy on us the first day, we shouldn't be expecting any favors in the future. He observes the others, seeing what plans they're offering seem most promising in the future and eating his mush. While hardly appetizing, it is somewhat better than nothing. And there's every reason to believe that causing trouble, especially so soon, might result in starvation as a penalty. It's what he'd do, were positions reversed. It's what he will do, given the chance. See how long it takes these humans to resort to cannibalism. They're bloodthirsty enough already, he doubted it'd take long.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RandomMerc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Oww....

Get Away rubs his sore shoulder and looks at the door, before calling out to Not Important, who probably wasn't important enough to fix this, but he could try, "Not Important, is there any way you can pick the lock with your dagger???" He then proceeds to think about the next fight, for already 2 goblins had been disabled in the first fight against lowly criminals, then what would happen if they fought giants, or sorcerers? This was not a good prospect. He turns to see if he can do anything to help the others.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby ArdentSilver on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Raises Eyebrows

"Hey Aims -- I know you're resting, but look from that bed. You see those hanging cages?" Eyebrows wiggles his namesakes around in the manner of someone who thinks they've stumbled upon something extraordinarily brilliant. "They're hanging." Realizing that that statement does not quite account for his presumed brilliance, he elaborates. "They're hanging close to the keys, right?" He grins. "Well, if the cages aren't supported, d'ya suppose it'd be possible to swing the cages to get nearer to the keys?" The goblin pauses to consider the rest of the scenario. "It might take all three cages swinging together in concert -- we could grab on to the adjacent cages and then pendulum-ize the whole set at once!"

Eyebrows hops down and flops into a pile on a cot he summarily claims as "his". He peers over at the adjacent Aims, then looks over to Keeper of Doors and Get Away. "Also -- I wonder if the Arena guards are allowed to bet on the fights. Maybe we can get one of them to... look the other way if we help him win gold betting on us."

Edit: And LSN -- what's the tall, vertical, light-grey rectangle in the nearness of the Owlbear?
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby notimportant on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Not Important
Not Important cuts a small hole in the underside of the mattress in the bottom bed to the right. He then makes sure the dagger can be fit inside the mattress without looking suspicious. He informs his clanmates about the hiding place (so noone impales themselves accidentally), retrieves the dagger and moves over to the door.
"Trips, do you think the lock is pickable with this dagger? If you want to try it, I'll keep a lookout for guards. Just be careful not to break the blade, or scratch the lock too much. If you manage to open it, we should probably lock it again and stay in the cell until we know more about the guards' routines."
He offers the dagger to Trips if he wants to try his hand at lockpicking, and keeps watch for any movement outside the cell. If Trips doesn't want to, he'll offer any other cellmate the same thing. (He is reluctant to try it himself, since picking the lock seems pretty important, and as such, he knows he would be unsuccessful.)
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:25 pm

"That's a good idea, Get Away, thanks!" Not Important is happy one of the other goblins thought of the same thing; had it been only himself who thought of the plan, it would have proved useless.
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cragspyder on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Lives by the Sword

Lives by the Sword puts a pillow over his head...assuming we were provided pillows.
Cragspyder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ratha on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Keeper next examines the beds, buckets, and anything else in the room for spare parts. Do the beds have redundant nails that could be confiscated? Do the buckets have pins, or something else that could be removed? Something that wouldn't be missed? If the bucket were marked, and we waited for them to take it away, then come back, would we have the same one?

Keeper doesn't actually remove anything. He's just taking stock of the materials at hand. A bucket handle? A loose wire? Something that wouldn't be missed.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors

One Hand
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby quindraco on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:53 am

SPOILERS:I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to touch or even get near a goblin covered in feces, including guards or opponents. Alternatively, I wonder how the crowd would react to you guys shaming an opponent with a shit shower.
quindraco
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby notimportant on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:42 am

quindraco wrote:
SPOILERS:I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to touch or even get near a goblin covered in feces, including guards or opponents. Alternatively, I wonder how the crowd would react to you guys shaming an opponent with a shit shower.

SPOILERS:That tactic would be pretty crappy. *no tomatoes in here, yay!*
But if/when we need to leave the cells, a bucket of feces is a viable range weapon.

Eyebrows, I think that is an elevator, controlled by that lever up there.
Arena slave:

Goblin hero:

Hats:
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am

Betrays A Friend

Betrays will look if the blankets they have are sturdy enogh to make a rope of, if they would need a rope later on trying to escape. Or if they could be usefull in any other way. I really hope there is a way to escape from here soon...

Sorry about a short update now, don't have too much time to be here now.

edited.
Last edited by Kide on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games