The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:21 pm

SPOILERS:Oh look it's another one of these. Lots of people wanted to be in my first game but couldn't so I came up with something new.

It is a dark day for Clan Fourem. Nine members of this proud Goblin clan have been captured during an attack on their village by Humans, and they have been brought back to the Human city to serve as entertainment. They are to fight and die in a great Arena for the amusement of the masses. Their fate seems sealed.

But Clan Fourem Goblins are not known for their cowardice! They do not merely intend to fight bravely and die honourable deaths, nor to simply survive the vicious life of combat ahead.

They intend to escape.

The Rules

Each Goblin begins play with the following stats:

Hp 5
Atk 1
Def 1
App -5

Hp: Hit Points. How much damage a Goblin can take. A Goblin (or other creature) reduced to 0 Hp is Disabled and can take no actions, but may live to fight again.
Atk: Attack. How much damage a Goblin deals in combat. Weapons increase your Atk.
Def: Defense. How much damage a Goblin can ignore each turn. Armour increases your Def.
App: Appeal. This is no dungeon crawl, it’s an Arena! Working the Crowd will be key to success. Your App score will change as the game progresses, and will greatly affect the course of the game.

During the day you will be made to fight in a single round of combat in the Arena. Generally, combat only ends when one side is defeated, either the Goblins or their opponents, but special rules may sometimes come into play. Combat is fought in turns. Each night I’ll post an update and you will have a chance to take your actions. This is one turn. There are several basic action types you can take during combat.

Move: You move to an adjacent space. The Arena is divided into five spaces. Goblins who remain at the far Left are furthest from harm, but the Crowd doesn’t react well to cowardice. Conversely, Goblins who head to the far Right are closest to danger, which the Crowd enjoys. However, staying at the far ends causes the larger part of the Crowd to ignore you, so your actions will have little effect on the Crowd Guage. Goblins who stay in the Middle are in full view of the entire Crowd, and their actions affect the Crowd Gauge very strongly, for better or worse. The Middle Left and Middle Right are sort of neutral zones, neither cowardly nor brave, neither hidden nor open. If you attempt to move while an enemy is in the space you start in, that enemy can still attack you!

Attack: Deal damage to an enemy in your space. Of course, they get to hit back. But you’ll have to fight if you want to survive.

Charge: Attack an enemy in an adjacent space while also moving into that space. The downside is that you suffer a -2 penalty to Def during the turn that you do so.

Flaunt: Put that App stat to work! Flaunting lets you nudge the Crowd Gauge, but the reaction you get is dependent not only on your App, but also on your recent and past actions. If you hid in the corner today, the crowd will remember it tomorrow!

Coup De Grace: Finish off a Disabled enemy, ensuring he will never come back to fight you again. This is like a combination attack and flaunt. Be careful when you finish an enemy who has a higher App than you, since the Crowd will react negatively. But finishing enemies whose App is close to yours (or better yet, much lower) will garner favour. Plus you’re pretty sure your opponents will have no qualms in finishing YOU…

You Can Also: Give away, receive, pick up, or drop one item per turn in addition to your action. Equipping items that you possess does not count as your action.

Although these are broad action types, the way you DESCRIBE your character undertaking them matters. The crowd might react more favourably, or you might even get bonuses to Atk or Def.

Once the combat round is over, assuming you survive, your App will most likely go up or down depending on your performance and the final state of the Crowd Gauge. You might be able to pick up some new items from your fallen enemies. These Trophy items often affect your App while used or worn. But be warned: if your App gets REALLY high, the Crowd is going to demand that the Arena Champions defend their titles…

After combat you will be sent back to your cells and stripped of (most of) your items. You will have five turns to work on your escape, but these turns represent a longer span of time than combat turns. All Goblins will also recover 1 Hp, including those who are Disabled. Goblins who spend all five turns doing nothing but resting will regain an additional 1 Hp. Disabled Goblins can ONLY rest, and do not gain an additional Hp. Make good use of your time, as there’ll be another combat in the morning.

Finally, let’s talk about this Crowd Gauge business. The Crowd Gauge will always start at the average of the Goblins’ App scores, but will fluctuate based on your actions. The Crowd likes bravery, victory in combat, and seeing low-App characters getting trounced. The Crowd hates cowardice, failure, and high-App characters getting beaten. Note that the Crowd Gauge represents how the Crowd feels about Clan Fourem, not about the entire combat; if it shows as negative, that means they’re rooting for your opponents, who will benefit from your loss. If you Flaunt while the Crowd Gauge is positive, new items might get tossed into the far Left and Right spaces of the Arena. Ending the combat with a positive Crowd Gauge is a good way to raise your App. If the Crowd Gauge reaches maximum or minimum, something special might happen…

Anyone can sign up to play*. All you need to do is tell me your character name and choose a colour (preferably a basic one). Note that updates will be posted EVERY NIGHT with few exceptions, so please don’t sign up if you can’t commit to one post a day! If you must miss one or two nights you can warn us and task someone else with taking your actions, but if you suddenly become unavailable, it would be better to give your position away permanently.

Long Live Clan Fourem!

Goblin Roster:
1. Not Important, dark purple (notimportant)
2. Betrays A Friend, orange (Kide)
3. Eats An Adventurer, blue (AdjectiveNoun)
4. Trips On Rocks, brown (brontan)
5. Keeper Of Doors, dark blue (Ratha)
6. Raises Eyebrows, slate grey (ArdentSilver)
7. Aims At Genitals, green (TanaNari)
8. Get Away I Want To Be Alone, black (RandomMerc)
9. Lives By The Sword, red (Cragspyder)

*If you are already participating in a game run by me, you cannot join until five hours after this initial post is made. Any claim made before this time will not count. Let’s give everyone else a chance to play, arright?
Last edited by LoneStarNorth on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Re: The Arena Slaves (Forum Game)

Postby notimportant on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Not Important, a timid goblin who stays in the background most of the time. Went through an existential crisis in his youngling years, due to the naming ceremony vision which revealed that all his efforts in life would mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Has however come to terms with his fate to never excel at anything he does, and is somewhat content with not having to be responsible for anything important.

Colour: Dark purple (#400080)
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Yea, I want to join in! Signed in just for this. =)

I am Betrays-A-Friend,
I am Orange goblin.
A goblin who others don't trust too much even though I have never betrayed anyone as of yet...
Though it might be because I never have had such a good friend among our clan, which is kind of sad.... :roll:

Edit: Changed the color to orange as there is already many darker colored goblins.
Last edited by Kide on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby AdjectiveNoun on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

EatsAnAdventurer, blue, is a somewhat insane goblin who has always wondered what the Teller was on at her naming ceremony.
Last edited by AdjectiveNoun on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arena Slaves
EatsAnAdventurer
HP 1/5
ATK 1
DEF 1
APP 7
AdjectiveNoun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby brontan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Trips on rocks, I will be brown due to me tripping over rocks all my life so im covered in a fine layer of dirt
Last edited by brontan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trips on Rocks Survived till round 73
Hp 0/5
attack:0 (Dead)
defence:0 (Dead)
app: 0 (Dead)
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ratha on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I signed up for the forum just for this. I used to be registered back in the snotling days, but you know how it is. Anyways, this was the incentive I needed.

I'd like to play Keeper of Doors, a dark blue goblin, if that's alright.

Also, *ahem*, squee! :)
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ArdentSilver on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I too would like to join this.

DarkSlateGray -- 2F4F4F

You can call me Raises Eyebrows!
Last edited by ArdentSilver on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TanaNari on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm taking green- the name will be "Aims at Genitals".
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby notimportant on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Lots of new posters. Welcome to the message board! (Or if you're one of Lonestar's previous players dodging the 6 hour limit, good on you, you sneaky devil. :wink: )
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby ArdentSilver on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks!

Nope. I'm new. Been reading since the escape from Brassmoon, never joined the forums till now though.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby brontan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:39 pm

same here until i read that lonestar was making a new game
Hp 0/5
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kide on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Yes new one, reading goblins from the time when they were entering the dungeon to find fumbels. Lately reading the comments here on the new updates when I also had though of registering here, but as I really liked the forum game by LomeStarNorth, could not help, but to want to join in. Though never really played any of these kind of games, socompletly new to this, but hopefully I can be of help in this dangerous arena battle. =)
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."

Betrays A Friend

Hides in leaves
Equipment:
Thief's cloak
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Anyway, GetawayIwanttobealone, a goblin named when the teller was in a pessimisstic (spelling?) and depressed mood.

He is a black goblin, because it reflects the blackness in the teller's heart.

He likes to stay away from the fighting, preferably attacking at range with magic or a longbow, or shouting out helpful orders

SPOILERS:Waited for this for a long time. If I can't use black I will use dark green.
Last edited by RandomMerc on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cragspyder on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I will be 'Lives by the Sword', who ironically has never owned a sword.

Your games seem like great fun, LoneStarNorth. Longtime lurker, and I have been eagerly waiting for your triumphant escape from the Gauntlet in DungeonRun II :)
Cragspyder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby brontan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Wow, nine guys in 20 minutes this should be fun!
Hp 0/5
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

1.Not Important
2.Betrays a friend
3.EatsanAdventurer
4.KeeperofDoors
5.RaisesEyebrows
6.TripsonRocks
7.AimsatGenitals
8.GetawayIwanttobealone
9.LivesbytheSword

Woot, 9 people already!
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Csorutg on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm dead in the other forum , not sure if I'm supposed to wait the 5 hrs. But I'm in.

Call me Frolicks
Csorutg
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:51 pm

The Crowd boos and hisses as you are led through the Arena gates by a guard. He shoves you out into the open air, and you can see the thousands of humans gathered to watch you get killed. An announcer's voice booms over the Crowd's roar; must be magic or something.

"The next match will have no winner; only losers! Behold as the low face the low! Goblins savages versus the dregs of our own society! Will these criminals at least honour their human heritage one last time before they face the gallows? Or will these beastly subhumanoids save us the trouble of an execution? We shall see, citizens, we shall see!"

One of the Arena Guards throws you some basic equipment. "If you don't make this fight good, we'll make you regret it tonight."

He throws you:
- Dagger
- Trident
- Buckler
- Leather Armour
- Gladiator's Mask

Better hurry up and grab the stuff, as two of those Criminals appear to already be armed!

SPOILERS:First person to claim a piece of gear gets it, but note that you can only claim one piece each.

Instead of black, I made Get Away a very dark grey. This is so he stands out a little bit from the NPCs. Here's a very short update to get you started. Please do me a favour and mark posts which contain actions for your character by posting your character name at the top and/or using your character colour. This will reduce the amount of time it takes me to put together an update. Also feel free to ask questions if anything in the first post isn't clear.

Also, sorry Csorutg! But you might still get to play in my other game again, so all is not lost.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Get Away:

Get away grabs the Trident (Assuming it gives me some range on my attacks, if not, he'll grab the buckler). He then heads into the next square behind someone else to be able to attack with the trident from range (or advance in front if he grabs the buckler).

EDIT: On second thought, I'll just take the trident anyway... I need some offensive power, as the NPCs don't look like they have much defense.

SPOILERS:Is that too confusing? Also, what font color is grey?
Last edited by RandomMerc on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a signature.

RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ratha on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Keeper of Doors takes the leather armour and quickly dons it. "Alright! I'm ready to kick them hard! I think! If I'm lucky! And they don't stab me first!"

Edit: He then heads to the next square to stand in front of Get Away. "I'll take the blows, you dish 'em out, eh?"
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby brontan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Trips on rocks
Quickly grabs the dagger, then moves to next square over ready to attack any enemy that gets to close
Hp 0/5
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kide on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Betrays a friend

Betrays a friend looks around him and a little afraid into the arena audience. He can hear how the crowd thirst for blood... He then looks around on the ground what the gurds thew for them and picks up the Gladiator's mask. He thinks to himself "I should be able to strike some fear in to the hearts of those humans with this that we soon must fight against...." He then looks at the humans and steps one step forward looking through the mask striking fear to his enemies as much as he can growling under the mask at the same time. He hopes that some other goblins will follow him/ or if others have already moved forward he will follow them.

Betrays A Friend

Hides in leaves
Equipment:
Thief's cloak
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Postby ArdentSilver on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Raises Eyebrows

Raises Eyebrows leans in and deftly snatches the buckler. He holds it up, close under his nose. Sniffs it. Taps it. Seemingly satisfied, he works his hand into the grip and faces the other goblins.

He then drops into a fighting stance, darting forward to stand with Trips, Keeper, and Betrays.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cragspyder on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Lives by the Sword

Thoroughly disappointed that no sword was provided by his evil captors, Lives by the Sword straps on the remaining piece of equipment, the buckler, and advances to middle-left. A little lost as to what kind of fancy flourish he could pull off with an oversized dinner plate attached to his arm, he hopes the crowd will notice he was the first Goblin to step forward.

BAM! Beaten to the buckler, AND stepping forward first. I type too much.

Ahem.

Lives by the Sword

Thoroughly disappointed that no sword was provided by his evil captors, Lives by the Sword attempts to strap on the remaining piece of equipment, the buckler, but miserably fails. He then advances to middle-left. A little lost as to what kind of fancy flourish he can pull off with no weapons, he simply settles for what he assumes is a martial-arts stance, attempting to support the other goblins.

Boldinized are my official actions, the rest is just fluff. Will that help?

What size is the trident? If we are small humanoids, and the trident is a reach weapon, then it's probably too big for one of us... but not for two!

So, let me know if you need help with the trident, Getaway. Your name suggests you would prefer to handle it alone, and I don't want to 'steal' your weapon as you clearly beat me to it. Besides, its not a sword!

Lonestar, we only get ONE action, right? So no moving a square, then attacking?

Oh, and I offically declare my class as Warrior, thereby getting my first level feat, an improved attack bonus, etc....

Yeah, i didn't think that would work.
Last edited by Cragspyder on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cragspyder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TanaNari on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Aww, damnit. Strategy: There are four of them, poorly armed. Nine of us. Three to each armed fighter, two to the first unarmed target. And one wearing armor to take the least armed enemy. We're best off ending this fast. Of course, if any of them choose to hold back, we should of course go for the front line first.

AIMS: "These humans are much taller than us, I'm going to get *under* one of them. Heh. Heh. Heh."

Missing out on equipment, I decide to move forward, but behind a better armed ally. I don't want to be in front front without something to fight back with. I'll simply wait for a moment of vulnerability.

I also take the opportunity to scout a little visually and see what we have for an arena- are there good cover locations? Rocks I could chuck at the enemy? Dead bits of former gladiators for a makeshift weapon? Anything that doesn't look like "big empty pit", pretty much.

Also, because I want to test it anyway, I taunt them. "Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of Elderberries!"

I had to. I simply had to.
TanaNari
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Goblins Games