The Last Ditch Dungeon (COMPLETE)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Last Ditch Dungeon (Forum Game)

Postby EvilCoatrack on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 am

Amended my action. Everyone else: don't attack the owlbear. Help forcibly shield Hideous and pull him up to the BBK's room.

The only thing valuable on me right now is my Light Armor, which I can give away if I die.

I'd trust to Hideous fleeing successfully if LSN hadn't made the damn bear GRAB him :P

Also, it may be my destiny to be the last one into the BBK's room...Kinda hope it won't be posthumously though.
So I run some forum games:
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
Check out the Escape from Brassmoon, Complete at 171 turns!
Discover the Destiny of the Stonetear Clan, currently in progress.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:54 am

It turns out im going to be pretty busy today. I can't spare the time to deal with not dying.

EvilCoatRack will control Hideous Mole for the rest of the day. If he doesn't post actions, this is the default

Hideous Mole

I'll equip the shield, if it is offered, and heal myself, then try and get around the bugbear and up the ladder.
Last Ditch Dungeon: Teller Hideous Mole SWEET GLORIOUS VICTORY!
Escape from Brassmoon: Sarus, Foe of the Floating Maw ESCAPED! WOOT!
Crappy Art Cave of Doom: Mops Up : DIED AT THE HEIGHT OF MY GLORY! HOW NOBLE!

Loot!:Herr Henry von HeffleHocken, Hobgoblin Hero
WND: 4
ATK 9: 1 (Hero) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (pipe of Badassery)
DEF 2: 0 (Hero) + 1 (Leprechaun Lamp) + 1 (Accounts Ledger)
FAB 14: 0 (Hero) + 4(Leprechaun Lamp) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (Accounts Ledger) + 2 (pipe of badassery)
Gear: s1: Leprechaun Lamp(Creates Rainbows! Creates light! 30% chance for Moar Lewt!)
s2: Pipe of Badassery (Makes you a badass! Also makes you talk like Helen Keller!)
s3 Accounts Ledger (Giant friggin' blank book! Very pretty! Contains Blank Paper Pages of Potential!"
s5: Mighty Pen( 5% chance to break swords! +1 Def against swords! Creates caligraphic characters on command!"
MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TinSoldier on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Chases-Butterflies

*sighs* and goes back to see if he can help Hideous Mole get away from the owlbear. Either by direct assistance or by attacking if necessary.

"Go here, go there, do this, do that. Man, and they think I'M flighty."
Last edited by TinSoldier on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was expecting something unexpected.
TinSoldier
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby darkgrey on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Dakgrey

@Late the only way to shield Hideous is to draw the owlbears attack. The only way we have a chance to draw the owlbears attack is to attack him, and hope he attacks us back, so we need to attack. If he attacks me I am dead.

Having said that.

Darkgrey rushes down the ladder. He crouches down and rushes forward trying to slash the inside of both of the owlbears rear legs.

The femoral artery runs down the inside of humans thighs. This is one of the main arteries in the body, and if you cut it a person can very quickly bleed to death. Here's hopeing it works on owlbears to.

I have commited now we need everybody else.
Darkgrey
Stats
HP 6/6
Atk 2 skull staff (+1Atk ranged Atk 1-3 or heal undead1-3)
Def 1
Current equipment carried
1 torch
1 Troll Belt +1 HP at start of turn
1 skull (that has been imbued to be turned into a skeleton)
1 skull
1 rope
robes of undeath (undead ignore you)
Staff Atk+1 ranged atk 1-3 or heal undead1-3
MYSTIC LUTE When played, grants Atk +1 or Def +1 to all allies in the room (including self)
HEADBAND OF INTELLECT Wizard and Staff ranged attacks deal +2 damage.
Long Live Clan Fourem
darkgrey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby harmsc12 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Changing my action.

Eaten pokes his head down the ladder and throws his torch at the owlbear. Maybe fire can take its mind off of attacking the healer.

"Yeeha! Burn little birdy! BUUUURRRRNNNN!!!"
harmsc12
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:A couple of things:
Sir Frolicks got surrounded by 3 Skeletons but managed to flee them successfully... Examining those couple of updates might provide insight useful to this current predicament. Or not, I might be making up the combat rules as I go :wink:

.....oh, is it because I tried to use the move to exit the room? so if I used the move to get back up the the ledge above the ladder he wouldn't have blocked me?

So if I were to say "I move up the ladder, and heal myself", that would work?

Sorry Lonestar. You're going to have to make your hint a little more specific if you want us to twig to it... The only other difference is that frolics moved first, actioned second.

FAB 14: 0 (Hero) + 4(Leprechaun Lamp) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (Accounts Ledger) + 2 (pipe of badassery)
Gear: s1: Leprechaun Lamp(Creates Rainbows! Creates light! 30% chance for Moar Lewt!)
s2: Pipe of Badassery (Makes you a badass! Also makes you talk like Helen Keller!)
s3 Accounts Ledger (Giant friggin' blank book! Very pretty! Contains Blank Paper Pages of Potential!"
s5: Mighty Pen( 5% chance to break swords! +1 Def against swords! Creates caligraphic characters on command!"
MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby darkgrey on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Darkgrey

And so we wait to see what shall be.
Darkgrey
Stats
HP 6/6
Def 1
1 torch
1 skull
1 rope
MYSTIC LUTE When played, grants Atk +1 or Def +1 to all allies in the room (including self)
Long Live Clan Fourem
darkgrey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:36 pm

"Well I think that you have a nice looking shop here and that we could do good business in the SNEAK ATTACK!!!"

Wields and Limps attack the Kobolds! The Chief easily slays his target in one mighty blow, but Limps' remains barely alive.

The rest of the clan attacks the Owlbear in defense of their beloved Teller! Late, Darkgrey, Chases, and Eaten attack with a staggering total Atk of 10! And yet, the Owlbear looks only half-beaten. Truly this is a deadly foe. It strikes back, choosing Chases as its target this time, and deals 3 damage. Eaten's Torch goes out after being thrown.

Shakes A Spear returns, worried about his Teller, who is healing himself.

"Wow, are you okay, man? Looks like that Owlbear got you good."
"It's okay, the others covered my back. But there's something else."

"I'm having a vision."

"Are we sure this is really the entrance? You'd think they'd put up a sign or something..."
"Och, quit ye complainin', Godric."

YOU STAND AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE GREAT PRISON.

"See, this IS the dungeon we want. Those goblins are in here somewhere."

...AS YOU TAKE YOUR FIRST STEPS INTO THE DANK CORRIDORS, A MAGICAL BARRIER RISES BEHIND YOU. THE DUNGEON WILL TEST YOU; YOU MUST EITHER FIND THE EXIT, PERISH, OR BE TRAPPED... FOREVER.

"Dammit."
"Choo-choooo! All aboard!"
"Shut up Bob."

YES, SHUT UP BOB.

"Aw, man."

SPOILERS:And so it begins...
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby harmsc12 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 pm

lol@bob.
harmsc12
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby darkgrey on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Darkgrey

Stats
HP 3/5
Atk 3 (twin daggers)
Def 1

2 torches
Twin daggers

I jump up on the owlbears back and reach forward driving my twin daggers up into its forelegpits as hard as I can. Action amended see next post.

Okay goblins we need to hit it hard and fast. Specify aiming for vital spots. My stike should hurt it, and maybe prevent or lessen it's attack... Not that I am counting on that.
If we kill it thenit might not get a parting attack. If we do not kill it there are three of us who need to get up the laddaer that Eaten is currently on. Someone is going to get hammered and probably die.

@Shakes We need you down here to help finish it off.
Last edited by darkgrey on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkgrey
Stats
HP 6/6
Def 1
1 torch
1 skull
1 rope
Long Live Clan Fourem
darkgrey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby EvilCoatrack on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm

@Darkgrey:

Amend your action. Don't swing first. His ATK is 4 and would kill you in one blow (3/5 HP and 1 DEF).

My DEF is 2 and I still have 4/5 HP. I can take a hit for 2 damage and live.

Late To The Party:

Late screams at Flufflies, jabbing his torch upwards and into the creature's large eye.

"Somebody get up on the ledge and get that rope ready to pull us all up!"

Action amended, see below.
Last edited by EvilCoatrack on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby harmsc12 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Eaten gets up off the ladder.

"Uh, guys? We need to get up to that ledge fast!"
harmsc12
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby darkgrey on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Darkgrey :-|

Stats
HP 3/5
Atk 3 (twin daggers)
Def 1

2 torches
Twin daggers

@ Late I am quite aware I will die if he attacks me. :-| I was aware of this before I came down here. Part of the reason I described my attack the way I did was to try to keep myself out of harms way. The owlbear can not reach me on it's back. There is also no guaranteeing it will attack you. However I will amend my actions since it might give me a better chance of survival. Also Thank you for offering to take the hit.

After Late thrusts his torch into the owlbears eye I jump up on the owlbears back and reach forward driving my twin daggers up into its forelegpits as hard as I can

Now if we could just get someone to give him shots to the throat, or up and behind his ribcage that would be great.
Darkgrey
Stats
HP 6/6
Def 1
1 torch
1 skull
1 rope
Long Live Clan Fourem
darkgrey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TinSoldier on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Chases-Butterflies

HP: 2/5
Atk: 3 (Longsword +2)
Def: 1

"Ouch! Ooch! Eeee! Aaaah! Don't touch me there! Ouch! I'm too PRETTY to DIE!!!"

If it's safe to do so then I'll run for the ladder and the rope. If running will leave me or other goblins open to attack by the owlbear then I'll have to stand and fight.
I was expecting something unexpected.
TinSoldier
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Christ. This is terrible. Friggin owlbear ruining everything. Argh!

Ok. If all 4 adventurers come down the ladder and we're still in this room, they're going to attack the next turn, and because we're short we can't get into the bugbear kingdom before they can get to us and start murdering. We'll take heavy losses, and we can't hit back, because if we stand and fight, we'll all die messily.

If all 4 adventurers hit the X room we're ok.

If the adventurers split up, they might attack that turn and still deal a lot of damage, but even if they don't they're gonna know where we went, and we won't be in any kind of shape to help the bugbears... and we'll be stuck in the kobold room for a long while. This is not terrible, but its certainly bad.

I have no idea what odds to assign to their movement next turn. If they stay together and just pick a door, its 33%. But if I were a smart adventurer I would send the rouge out one way and the rest of the party in another way. thats 66% odds we'll be located

There is one thing we can do to prevent this, and thats forget the owlbear and get into the throne room right now. But if we do that, the owlbear will hit one of us as we withdraw, and with hitpoint totals as they are, its 75% likely someone will die.

If we fight, we can predict reasonably well who will take the hits (whoever posts first), and I can therefore keep them alive, but... adventurers...

so we're in a bad spot, guys. I think a total retreat is the right call, given what losses we'll suffer if we get caught by the adventurers. But it sucks to have to likely consign one of you to death, when you all dropped everything to bail me out.

@ suggestions
Using the rope to get everybody out of the owlbear pit quickly isn't possible. There isn't anything to secure the rope on. We'd have to haul everyone in the pit out with pure goblinpower. We can't spare the goblins on pull duty and leave enough to kill the owlbear. it might work if we designate someone to take hits, get everyone up to the ledge this turn, pull him up, and then get to the hole.

@Lonestar
Darkgrey ended up on the far side of the owlbear? So the owlbear could block his movement like it did me?
Last edited by MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 pm

ok, here's a plan of action that isn't terrible, and probably gets everyone out alive. For the moment, at least

I throw the Shield to Chases or darkgrey (thats not an action, right?), heal somebody(myself or eaten) and move onto the ledge.
Chases or darkgrey now have 3 Def. This is enough to survive the owlbear, but not so much that the owlbear will ignore him and attack someone else. They attack and keep the owlbears' attention.
Eaten and Shakes coordinate and get somebody with rope up to the ledge, they then feed the rope down the owlbear pit
Everybody but the designated punching bag gets up the ladder and onto the ledge, via rope, other goblins heads, whatever.

Next turn, everybody who isn't on the ledge grabs onto the rope, and everyone else pulls them up, double time. Then we get the hell out of Dodge.

Not sure if darkgrey is on the other side of the owlbear because the art demanded it, or because of a real reason. but if he can't reach the rope it'll have to be chases.

Hideous Mole

I'm going to toss the shield to whoever wants to be a hero (this has priority if I can't do both), heal myself (I guess) if I have enough time, and then either get up to the ledge, or help the rope carrier up the ledge.
Last edited by MadBoat on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby EvilCoatrack on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:49 pm

You know, I wonder if we can just all abandon the owlbear right now without taking a hit - we don't have to kill it and we can't really control Aggro.

Darkgrey, what say we both amend our actions and get up to that ledge? There's not enough damage available here to kill Flufflies, and we need to be behind that group of hobgoblins ASAP.

Sir Frolicks (may he forever wage war upon human gods at Maglubiyet's side) proved that you can escape a hit by running away, immediately, even when surrounded by skeletons. He also ran from the Mimic and made it free without a hit. I think we have to take the risk here and put everything into a team effort to use all of our actions to move everyone up onto the ledge and then move into the next room, walking all the way down near the kobold tunnel.

Also: The adventurers, if they follow our rules, won't be able to make any called shots on their turn - they would have just explored a new room and unless their original action was "go into the next room and just start swinging" they're unlikely to hurt us this turn.
Last edited by EvilCoatrack on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby arles on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Wields
I take the kobold's head and present it to the BBK. I tell him we kept our part of the deal, an claim our three chests. Then I go behind the throne and open the 1st chest.

If you can Limp, finish that other kobold off and in the next turn come to claim the other chest. With some luck, the next turn you and I will open the two remaining chests and recieve the rest of the clan here, to prepair for our defense against the adventurers.

I pray to Maglubiyet that those chests will have something usefull for us =(

The rest of you: DON'T DIE.
DO
NOT
DIE
///I'm a Graphic Designer and I like forum games///
///DeviantART///

Image Image
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageDungeon Keeper - Chief | The Awesomesword Wanes | Map
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageCrimson Fire | Destiny of the Stonetear Clan | Map
HP: 5/5 | ATK: 4 (+3 Longsword) | DEF: 4 (+1 Leather Armor, +1 Ironclad stompers) | Inventory: Leather Bag. Skull. Goblin Journal.
arles
Keenspot Despot

Postby necrule on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Limps

Wonders how the Kobold is still alive from that attack and decides to push the dagger deeper into its skull and gives it a twist for good measure. Limps then follows his Chief back to the Bugbear King with whatever proof of deed this dungeon allows him.

I sure hope you guys escape that owlbear alright, we are already one man down.
Lowkey: Good point, but now I just want to see Klik fight Hitler.
necrule
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby harmsc12 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 pm

MadBoat wrote:ok, here's a plan of action that isn't terrible, and probably gets everyone out alive. For the moment, at least

I throw the Shield to Chases or darkgrey (thats not an action, right?), heal somebody(myself or eaten) and move onto the ledge.
Chases or darkgrey now have 3 Def. This is enough to survive the owlbear, but not so much that the owlbear will ignore him and attack someone else. They attack and keep the owlbears' attention.
Eaten and Shakes coordinate and get somebody with rope up to the ledge, they then feed the rope down the owlbear pit
Everybody but the designated punching bag gets up the ladder and onto the ledge, via rope, other goblins heads, whatever.

Next turn, everybody who isn't on the ledge grabs onto the rope, and everyone else pulls them up, double time. Then we get the hell out of Dodge.

Not sure if darkgrey is on the other side of the owlbear because the art demanded it, or because of a real reason. but if he can't reach the rope it'll have to be chases.

Hideous Mole

I'm going to toss the shield to whoever wants to be a hero (this has priority if I can't do both), heal myself (I guess) if I have enough time, and then either get up to the ledge, or help the rope carrier up the ledge.

Eaten follows this plan.
harmsc12
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby michael7050 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:33 pm

That......is the best adventuring party i've seen in a while.

(judging by names alone)

GO BOB!
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby Zathyr on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:26 pm

I am sorely tempted to steal the name Frothgar Alehammer for a dwarf of my own one day..
Wanders Off in The Awesomesword Wanes
HP 2?/5 | ATK 4 (base 1 + Greatsword +3) | DEF 4 (base 2 + Armour Torso +2)
Tactics: Attention Whore (+1 ATK and DEF when fighting alone)
(Cursed) Mask Of Screaming
Zathyr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Paladin_kris on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:12 am

Zathyr wrote:I am sorely tempted to steal the name Frothgar Alehammer for a dwarf of my own one day..

As am I. It's kinda weird to see PC's being NPC's
Paladin_kris
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby knucklekraken on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 am

What's this about not having the manpower to kill it? Let's off this mattress!

Shakes-A-Spear

Shakes boosts Eaten onto the ledge if he can do so and still attack the owlbear. The attack takes priority. He heads down the stairs and waits for the creature to open its disgusting beak in a roar or attempt to bite someone and, when it does, he stabs it in the back of the throat.

"Eat this you moldering pile of bedding! Your mother was...

DEEEELICIOUS!"

With an evil smile, Shakes twists his spear and yanks it back out.

Stats:
HP 6/6
Atk 4
Def 2

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby EvilCoatrack on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Shakes, I don't think we can do it. We hit it for 10 last time and it's only about half dead. I didn't damage it with my torch alone before, so it's DEF is at least 2. We're only swinging 9 at it right now. If it's still standing after this, one of us could be dead.

We may be able to all abandon the owlbear and all be up into the BBK's room THIS TURN if we do a coordinated team effort using the rope to get everyone up that ledge. Adventurers can be in this room as early as next turn, and we don't want to still have goblins here.

@ Shakes and Darkgrey: I'm fleeing, not attacking. Strongly suggest you guys follow suit.

This is largely because if we do attack, he WILL get a parting shot off, even if we kill him. If we don't attack, he may not hit anyone (see: Sir Frolicks vs. the Skeletons and Sir Frolicks vs. the Mimic).

Late To The Party:

Late lets out an exasperated sigh as he kicks his legs into gear, fleeing the owlbear and helping with the coordinated effort to get all of the goblins up onto the ledge to the BBK's room. Once there, he moves into BBK's room and moves down near the kobold tunnel entrance.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games