Reader's Clan Story Thread

Moderator: Thunt

Reader's Clan Story Thread

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Here's the Who's Who (compiled by our own Worst Case) so everyone knows the characters and their creators!

The Readers of the Scrolls, by Thunt
Over 700 warriors and spellcasters are protecting this clan, gathering in the warcamp near the mysterious "Temple of Reflected Gear". Most of this clan’s history remains a secret, one thing is obvious though:
The names of the clan members are still determined by the fortuneteller during the traditional naming-ceremony.

White With One (Believes in Mad Prophets), by Jokes
White’s name is the product of a misunderstanding between his father and a very tired and thirsty fortuneteller during the naming-ceremony. He doesn’t think his real name (Believes in Mad Prophets) is very fitting anyway. The only prophet who’s words he is believing in, is Talks No Sense and that one isn’t mad at all! White is planning to become the first paladin of the new god, Alestyr.

Bad News, by Valas-Azuviir
One of the female warriors of the clan. Her mood is always lousy and her temper explosive. Additionally she loves fighting. All in all: better not anger this goblin.
Since she lives in the warcamp, News seems to have passed the spellcaster-test, it’s still a riddle how though and nobody dared to ask her.
News has a brother named Pounces from Shadows.

Pounces from Shadows, by Valas-Azuviir
As his name indicates, Pounces likes hiding in dark corners and surprise-attacks. He is one of the warcamp’s archers and spies.
The only thing he fears seems to be his sister, Bad News.

Dresses Like a Boy, by Lanzlo
Dresses is one of the clan’s few female temple guards. Much to her dismay she hasn't had many opportunities to fully unfold her fighting skills in the past, since her job is usually rather uneventful and boring. She is currently sharing a hut with Worst Case, this might change soon though, since Dresses seems seriously in love with the village storyteller, Slings Words, and there are already bets made if those two will be marrying in the near future.

Talks No Sense, by Says-Nonsence
Talks believes that reality is only a product of the minds of several individuals. This wouldn’t be much of a problem if he wasn’t thinking that he was one of those individuals. For example, he is sure that he can "think away" a tree blocking his path. Several crashes with trees in the past have done nothing to change his point of view. Lately, he has come to the conclusion that he is destined to found a new religion for Alestyr, the god of hope. He was fortunate to find a goblin-sized priestly robe in the backpack of a dead adventurer and is wearing this skyblue, soft piece of cloth that makes you think of bathing, all the time. For some reasons he has problems finding followers…

Falls in a Pit, by Urudezu
If you need a basement for your house, a hole for a trap, or a grave to be dug, Falls is your goblin for the job. Unfortunately he is always falling into the pits he has been digging, as well as in any other which might be waiting on his path. Since he is used to it by now, he rarely gets injured by falling, and there are few holes he can’t escape from.

Dances with Lamas, by Commits Puns
Dances likes a good challenge, be it a fight or a trap. The more dangerous the task the more he likes it. He would be a great fighter, if he wasn’t so terribly reckless.

Goes Up in Flames, by Iron Eagle SiR
Flames enjoys fire a little too much. His body is covered with several burn scars, and no day passes when he isn’t setting something "accidentally" ablaze, including himself. Some sources have reported, that he doesn’t even need a tinderbox to start a fire but only has to snap his fingers, this might be just a rumor though. His twin sister, A No Brainer, keeps an eye on him and his arsenal of oil flasks. Additionally she has a bucket of water ready for emergencies at any time.

A No Brainer, by Iron Eagle SiR
Brain was to be named during the same ceremony as her twin brother, when their father stumbled and dropped them both. While Stumbles, at the worst possible, moment was able to catch his daughter before she hit the ground, his son had to be picked out of a coal fire afterward. The teller spoke: "That was a no brainer and this one goes up in flames." And two more younglings were named.
Brain likes reading in the library and has a little crush on Falls in a Pit

Wooden Leg, by stonehydra
Wooden’s left leg was crushed under a falling tree some years ago. His pegleg looks poorly made but has a hidden compartment, where he likes to store various medicines. He is one of the clan’s spellcasters and shares a hut with Slings Words and Talks No Sense.

Wanders Off, by Zathyr
This goblin is like the wind, here, there, and off again. He gets easily distracted from his duties and tends to aimlessly wander through the woods. Until now he has always found his way back to the warcamp, though.

Slings Words, by Slings Words
"Once upon a time there was a young female called Eyes like a Deer, who …"
All the children of the village know and love the fairytales Slings is writing. Not being a fighter, he shares a spellcasters hut with Talks Nonesense and Wooden Leg. He likes watching the busy warcamp from a treetop and getting inspirations for new stories. He has been writing countless poems, for his love Dresses like a guy, too. Until now he hasn’t dared to show her a single one of them, though.

Java (Jittery), by Java
Once captain of the guards and instructor of new recruits, this goblin now is one of the clan’s elders. Since most of the younglings learned fighting directly from him he is still highly respected. In his youth he was known as Jittery until he discovered a drink that managed to calm his nerves: coffee. He is using an old human sized helmet for brewing the Readers’ favorite drink and still sometimes leads small raiding parties to the secret location where the rare coffee beans are growing.

Grows a Good Turnip, by flintban
Grows is one of the farmers, supplying the warcamp with fresh food. Even though he isn’t one of the warriors he knows how to fight if necessary. After all he usually has to make the dangerous trips with his turnip cart between the farmlands, the warcamp and the village all by himself.

Shakes a Spear, by Knucklekraken
Shakes sees himself as a bard, since he just loves the sound a spear makes when it’s cutting through the air, so he is practicing constantly. He has sort of a private feud with Bad News, even though he is trying to be nice to her – maybe that's the problem.

Tries Too Hard, by Tries-Too-Hard
This goblin just wants to help. He just can’t stand idly by while others are struggling under a heavy burden of tasks. The problem is, that he tries to help as many goblins as possible at the same time and leaving something to him is the best way to see a job being screwed up completely.

Scarlet Hood, by Felight
Hood spends most of his time mining for rare crystals in a cave near the warcamp, thus it is hardly surprising that the pickaxe is his weapon of choice.

Worst Case, by Worst Case
If something can go wrong it will go wrong, in the worst possible way and at the worst possible moment. Case sees the future in terms of accidents waiting to happen, and does her best to make them happen to attacking adventurers and not to her fellow clan members. In other words, she spends her time developing worst-case-plans, keeping watch over the food supplies and constructing traps for the warcamp defenses.
She is Jo’s daughter and visits him from time to time.

Dreams of Horrors, by Dreams Of Horrors
Ever since he can remember this goblin’s dreams have been haunted by terrible nightmares.
His solution to the problem is as easy as it is doomed to fail: he tries not sleeping at all. So he is usually found drinking countless cups of coffee until he passes out from exhaustion. When he sleeps he sleeps for a long time and he is very hard to wake.

Jo (Jinxes Others), by Jinxes others
Jo is sort of an outcast, living alone in a hut to the south of the warcamp. Aside from his daughter, Worst Case, he has rarely any visitors.
This elders full name is Jinxes Others, and bad luck follows him like the plague, only close family members being mostly immune to the effects of his presence. Basically the dice are nobody’s friends while he is around. He is trying to keep the effects down with lucky charms and amulets - with mixed success. Even food preparation is a challenging adventure when he is around and one of his other names is "Defiler of Coffee". This is the main reason why he and Java don’t get along.

Practice Dummy, by Fulongamer
Practice Dummy is a rather younger goblin, but very large for his age group. There are rumors of Orc or even Hobgoblin in his bloodline but no one speaks of that out loud. Too big and too slow to hunt with, and too gentle-hearted to be any good as a guard, he was noted for his ability to take an unbelievable beating, but not hold a grudge, nor even seem to feel the blows.

Climbs Trees, by petersohn
Another one of the clans archers, as the name says, he likes climbing. For this purpose he always carries a grappling hook with him tthat can be shot with the bow.
Last edited by SlingsWords on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

Readers Clan Story Thread: Here
Readers Clan Fancomic: Risks and Side Effects
Readers Clan Fancomic 2: Heimspiel
SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Java - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Java…the backstory…

What was it I drank last night? What kind of…bean…? No..it wasn’t coffee….coffee never did this before..

What? Who is this goblin? Tempts Faith? ..Oh.. Tempts Fate. The clan..we have lost our memories?

The whole clan is here..dang..who are all of these goblins? Did I forget them to? Did I ever even know them all?

Yes..now I remember..

I am Jittery..no..wait..JAVA.They call me JAVA now. No one has called me Jittery in a long time, at least ten seasons.

My last clan blood brother was, “Tips a Cow”. He died during a raid at least ten seasons ago. It has to be at least ten seasons….

I swear that “Dances with Llamas” snotling has to be his brood..same reckless daring ..same coloring.

Too bad he’s not like his sire. ”Tips a Cow” always brought me cream after he raided the farmlands.

Hmmm…So many are gone. At least they are remembered in the scrolls.

How old am I? I remember more now..

Dang..That Tempts fellow has them all riled up..What is he saying? The temple.

Why raid the temple..its just junk. It just fades away all of it, swords, armor, everything? Not worth a single goblin life.

Tempts has them wanting to raid this lost temple..hmmm..but to use stuff to protect against humans. The humans want to raid us? For junk they cannot even keep? I thought orcs were stupid.

I need to think…better brew a ….Hey, where is my helmet pot? Who stole my helmet? How am I gonna brew coffee without my helmet? Some snotling has stolen my coffee pot…

Jittery was born long ago. He was a typical goblin youth and at the time of his naming, the ‘Teller gave him the name, “Jittery”. Because, he was..Jittery. He jumped at every sound. Perhaps it was because of his large ears, but Jittery has excellent hearing.

Unfortunately, the slightest sound always startled him. He was not much for hunting because as the hunters closed in on their prey, some slight sound would startle him…and he would jump..scaring off the prey.

Unfortunately, he was not much use on raiding for the same reasons…

Jittery was soon given the tasks most males did not like…. guard duty. Really boring and long hours…But Jittery was also one of the best guards. Soon, Jittery was seldom seen amongst the clan, as he was often sleeping when the clan was awake but was always alert when the clan was sleeping.

Jittery liked being a clan guard. His excellent hearing helped prevent several raids when Jittery was able to alert the other warriors who easily drove off the now surprised raiders, who had been expecting easy prey.

Jittery earned his most prized possession one night when raiders came upon the camp. Although the raiders were few in numbers, most of the clans warriors had left to go raiding, leaving only Jittery and few other males to watch over the village.

Jittery was at his post, near the big rock when a sound startled him. Jittery jumped, of course, causing the raider who had just climbed up on the rock to fall off and into the spiked pit trap next to jittery. As the wounded raiders screams rent the air, two of the other raiders leaped over the rock to help their comrade, joining him as they impaled themselves in the pit. The other raiders, who had planned to rush into the village now heard the death cries of three of their own and fled. Jittery claimed as his share the great helm of the raider leader, as it made an excellent pot to boil coffee.

Jittery after a short while was made head of the “watchers”, or clan guards. Jittery took to brewing coffee to stay alert on these long shifts. Although some of the warriors drank it, often they complained it made them, “jittery”.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Slings Words - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Slings Words sat.

From the tree branch high above, he could see the other members of the Readers of the Scrolls tribe busily went about their work. Knowing full well he should be helping them, he just couldn’t bring himself to do so. The day was too beautiful and, once again, his imagination was running away with itself.

He rolled onto his back…letting his arms lazily hang off the branch on either side of him. He stared upward through the intertwined leaves and branches at the bright gleams of sunlight streaming through the small
openings in the canopy above. He had already finished most of his
chores and typically he helped many of the others with theirs if he got
the chance to. Today…today, however, he had felt a strange bout of inspiration.

He reached into his hip pack and pulled out his parchment and quill.
Laying the parchment on his chest, he chewed on the already worn feather of his writing utensil. Eyes glazing over, lost within the chasms of his mind, he thought and formed his next story. Several minutes passed as he did his best to choose a proper beginning for his next tale and finally it struck him like a warhammer.

The quill left his mouth and the point went straight for the parchment.

Every yea-

“Slings!”

Slings sighed and rolled off the branch into a dangle. Down below, an olive green goblin peered up at him.

“Yes, Dances?”

“What’re you doing up there?”

“Well…I was about to write something. We are known for that,” Slings gave a slight apologetic smile.

Dances grinned up at him. Dances had been Slings friend for many years, despite their slight age difference. Slings enjoyed how Dances was much more energetic than he was. Many would say Dances was more fun, and Slings would tend to agree, but Slings had always considered sitting around thinking about the world to be more enjoyable than playing around. Than again, Slings found many things enjoyable that others didn’t.

Slings climbed down with some dexterity and landed on the ground before Dances.

“Yes, we do write. But you’re not writing the same things we write, Slings.”

Slings nodded, blushing slightly, and put his parchment and quill away.

They began to walk back through the village, the hustle and bustle engulfing them as they went.

“I know you like to write about adventures and warriors, but that’s not what our life is about. We’re goblins. We’re meant to stay put and fight off those damn humans who try and kill us for experience. It’s what we do.”

He looked at Slings. Slings didn’t reply, but rather was looking off at some unseen point, again lost in thought.

“There have never been any famous goblin writers, Slings. The children really like your stories and the rest of us think they’re great, but you can’t always keep getting lost in your own imagination.”

Again, Slings didn’t reply.

“Don’t you think you’re skill would be best suited for recording everything around us? Like the rest of us do?”

Slings stopped. Dances stopped with him.

“Don’t you ever wonder what else is out there?” Slings said.

He reached his hand forward, his gray skin patched by the filtered sunlight from above. His gaze held fast to it.

“Don’t you imagine what sort of wonders this hand could touch? There may be mountains of treasure, untold dangers, fearless warriors, goblins out there who wanted more than this sort of existence, fighting for something greater than what we have. Why can’t I be the one to tell those stories? I don’t understand why we have to stay put and record only what we see when all we see is the same thing day after day. Wouldn’t it be more interesting to find other goblins…see what they’re doing? Experience what they experience? Who knows? Maybe there are brave goblin fighters out there who deserve to have their story told. Maybe they have no one to tell that story. Maybe I’m that person.”

He flexed his hand open and then clenched it tightly. After what seemed like an eternity, Slings seemed to return to reality and turned to Dances, smiling apologetically again.

“Sorry.”

They continued to walk.

After an awkwardly silent pause, Dances looked at Slings.

“I never get tired of hearing you say that, Slings. Maybe you’re right. Maybe someday?”

“Maybe someday…” Slings mused.

They continued until they reached a campfire where many of the goblin children were anxiously waiting.

“Hey kids…I found him for you!” Dances announced as they got close.

The children cheered loudly as they crowded around Slings. Slings smiled kindly as he greeted each of them.

He moved toward the fire and sat down, the children crowding around him as closely as they could.

“Which story would you like to hear about today?”

The air was suddenly abuzz with dozens of suggestions, all stories that he had told countless times before, yet never got tired of retelling. He listened to each of them and finally settled on one that he hadn’t told in a while.

“All right…I’ll tell the one about Fights for Love’s greatest adventure to save his beloved from the evil human wizard that kidnapped her.”

Dances stood a few feet away, smiling as he watched his friend do what he did best. He had only known Slings to be relatively sociable when he was telling a story. Despite how seemingly quiet Slings typically was, Dances enjoyed his company. He shook his head and turned to leave as Slings began.

“Now, Fights had been traveling for what seemed like weeks through the Forest of Inescapable Peril. He knew that his only chance for saving Eyes Like a Deer was to find the legendary weapon the teller had told him about…”
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

White With One - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Goes-Silently waited in line with many of the other goblin fathers and mothers outside the Fortune Tellers hut. He had been in line all day. His legs, which usually bore him easily and quickly, began to tire. He was also quite sick of cradling his son in his arms. Goes was thankful the child wasn't as big as most other goblin kids, otherwise he doubted he could hold onto him for this long. He tried to overcome his boredom by listening to the conversations of the other goblins.

In front of him, the conversation was mostly about the naming ceremony about to take place, some were putting bets on the outcome.

"My sons already talking can you believe it? Gonna be a great storyteller one day." One goblin said proudly.

"Well, my boy's talking too, can't make out most of it half the time, but he certainly goes a mile-a-minute."

The two men quickly break down into a squabble over who's son is the better talker.

Behind him, the talk was mostly about how long the line was.

"Over seven-hundred born this spring, no wonder it's long."

"Not surprising, we haven't had any adventurers come to wipe us out in years. Gotta wonder what effect this will have on the eco-system." Goes recognized the voice of his cousin, Peace-with-Green, and would have turned around to greet him had there not been 20 goblins between the two. He never liked raising his voice.

Goes finally came to the front of the line. His heart started beating harder in his chest. This was his first naming ceremony, he'd never even been in the tellers hut. He didn't know the procedure... The babe tossed slightly in it's sleep.

Lost in thought, he barely noticed the goblin in front of him come out of the Tellers Hut. Goes let out a silent curse as the goblin almost bowled him over.

"I heard that!" The goblin was hardly upset, instead wearing a proud grin on his face.

Puzzled, Goes sidestepped past the goblin and entered the hut. Inside, the teller sat slouched in his chair weary of the days namings.

"Hmm," the teller muttered under his breath, "after that last one, I certainly could do with a cuppa." He sat up in his chair and pointed at Goes. "You, white with one, go!"

Goes was taken aback. "Uh, Ok," he stammered and backed out of the hut.

"Woah, that was quick, how'd you go?" Peace-with-Green asked as Goes walked down the line back to his hut.

Goes still had a puzzled expression on his face. "Huh?"

"The name, what did the teller give you?"

"Oh, White-With-One. My boys name is White-With-One."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

White With One - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:47 pm

"Dammit, Cheats, where did you pull that from?" White-with-one was on his feet, furious.

The yellow goblin looked up at him and flashed him a smile. "Beginners luck?"

"My arse! You've been playing for months, don't pull that 'I don't even know how to play' crap."

"Look, you lost, see, Full House beats a Flush." Cheats At Poker pointed to his hand, 8s over 5s, then at Whites, an ace high flush, to stress the point. "Now hand them over."

"Grrr," White reached a hand to his belt, "Java's going to kill me..." He pulled a pouch from his belt and considered just running. If he'd known no-one was going to remember this tomorrow, he would have.

White dropped the bag into Cheats waiting hands. His shoulders seemed to drop even further.

"Do you even like them?" he asked?

"I like winning them from you." He flashed another smile. "Another hand?"

"Nah, I have guard duty soon, better go and grab my spear." The other goblins faces lit up. "You know the rule, 'What happens at the poker table stays at the poker table.' Don't you dare tell him!" For a small goblin, he held a commanding presence.

White left the tent angry. He never lost with flushes... He headed for his hut. It was close to the middle of the night, not many people around. The poker guys had the common sense to have their den at the far end of the camp, so as not to wake the whole camp with shouts of "Booyah! In your face!"

He crept quietly into his hut, so as to not wake the other occupants. His father and brother would be asleep by now. He always kept his spear and shield next to his bed when he wasn't on guard duty, he hated carrying them around. Equipped, he went to leave the tent, but lingered for a few minutes, studying the sleeping forms in the twilight. Something compelled him to stay. Probably just the thought of what Java will do, he thought.

A voice from behind him almost made him scream. "Believes," it whispered.

He didn't need to turn around to know who it was: only one person called him that.

"Shh, dad, you'll wake everyone up."

"Bah, you can talk, clamoring your way through here. I could hear you from the gates." Goes Silently sighed, "but you always were more like your mother than me, Believes."

Whites face drooped. He hated it when his dad talked about her. He hated it even more when he called him that. He'd grown up as White-with-one, and kept the name even after his father discovered his real name at the naming ceremony of his half-brother, when Goes put two and two together and realized what had happened. His dad called him Believes because saying 'White' reminded him too much of his first wife, whose skin had been as pale as Whites own.

"Well, I had better get on duty, I can't keep Java waiting. Oh, by the way," he added as he went out the door, "have you seen his helmet?"

"Can't say I have son." His father gave a little wave goodbye then was lost in the darkness.

White was running late, luckily his post was not too far from hut, so he broke into a jog.

"There you are at last," Java muttered as White finally came on duty. He was studying which logs to put on his campfire to make the perfect temperature. "You would have startled me, had I not heard you coming from your tent. Haven't had my brew yet. I hear your dad doesn't know where my helmet is? Hmm, little sneak usually knows where things disappear to..."

White blanched. "Put your ears to use out there," He pointed to the woodlands outside their camp, "not in here."

Java smiled. "But nothing interesting ever happens out there. Hey speaking of coffee, did you bring those beans?"

"Uh, funny story..."

White awoke the next morning, his head pounding. The fire next to him had burnt out, there was no sign of any other goblins. He stood up, suddenly realizing he couldn't remember who he was. He began panicking, he couldn't remember anything! He was about to head into the camp when a voice came from behind him.

"Hey there! Any chance this is the Readers Clan?" The dark green goblin looked at White a second before recoiling a little. "Woah! What happened to your eye? It's all swollen."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Talks No Sense - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Meet Talks-no-sense. He's the green one in the corner there. No, that one. The one that's talking to himself. See him? good. Don't try to listen to what he's saying. Teller seems to have got it quite right.

He seems a bit short, but he's small-sized. Just like other goblins. He's quite young, and if the warcamp wasn't in a clearing he would bump into trees alot. It's not that he sees badly, or that he doesn't pay attention. It's just that he's thinking so much that he believes the world only to exist in the mind of severall beings. And he believes he's one of them apparently. SO logically the tree wouldn't exist if he didn't want it to exist.

Reality proves him very wrong, yes that explains the black eye. Preaches he found the ultimate anti-adventurer weapon to. Bunch of non...wait where did you? No! don't ask him about it! I don't have my earplugs with me!

---------------

The fact this young goblin didn't get a name like 'buggeroff' or 'leavemealone' is something short of a miracle. Seeing as he has the uncanny and feared ability to talk for 10 minutes strait before taking a deep breath and continueing on another line of thought. Despite having no ability to hide himself whatsoever this goblin managed to survive. And seems blessed by the gods at times to.

For example: He once went out gathering food when he stumbled onto a group of adventurers. Which decided they were so hungry they'd eat the fruit first before killing the tied up Talks. Only after a minute did they realize Talks not only incapable of hunting, but also of foodgathering as he had flawlesly gathered poisonous fruit while being in a forest where there isn't a poisoned plant in 10 miles.

He still complains on having to crawl home while being tied up to...
Last edited by SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Dresses Like a Boy - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm

The little goblin ran inside, covered in mud and screaming, "You can't catch me! You can't catch me!" The little one would have kept running, if it wasn't for the older goblin in the room.

"Dresses! How many times have I told you not to track mud inside the house!"

The little goblin stops short, casting her eyes to the ground. "Sorry, Papa."

"And what happened to that dress you wore this morning? That looks so much better on you than the pants you have now."

"But I don't like dresses, Papa!" the little girl whined. "I know, the Teller said my name was Dresses, because I like them, but she's wrong! I can't move right wearing a dress! I like wearing my brother's clothes!"

Built Like A Mountain sighed and sat down. "Come here, girl." Obediently, the little girl crawled into her father's lap. "I haven't been totally honest with you. The Teller did name you dresses, true... but not because you would like to wear dresses. No, your full name is Dresses Like A Boy. I thought... I thought that I would turn you into my little princess."

Built and Dresses sat there, silent for a moment, before Dresses buries her face into her father's chest.

"I'll always be your little princess, Papa." She withdraws to look him in the face. "I'll just be wearing trousers."

Built laughs deeply, holding his little girl to him.

Damn, this is boring.

Dresses took another sip of the dark drink that Java provided for her. She leaned on her spear and looked out into the darkness.

If I didn't know Java better, I'd say that he's purposely keeping me out of the fighting. Still, this drink that he makes isn't half bad...

Out of the corner of her eye, she notices movement. She carefully sets her cup down, before the spear flashes around, pointing right at White With One. She sighs, and relaxes.

"White, what are you doing?"

"Um, it's your father. He... he got hit. He's OK for now, but..."

The look in White's face was all that she needed to know. "Give me a moment to go see him. and take over my spot."

Moments later, Dresses enters the healer's hut. "Can you give us a moment alone? I need to see my father."

The healer nods. Within moments, it's just the two of them.

"Dresses?" She sits down, holding her father's hand.

"I'm here, Papa."

Built looks up, eyes focusing on his daughter. "Thank you for coming. I..." This starts a coughing fit, which Dresses tries to ease.

"Relax Papa. Your Princess is still here."

Built smiles, and tumbles into his final sleep. Dresses stands, smoothing out the folds of the dress she put on to see her father, and steps to the doorway.

"Built like a Mountain is dead. Let's make funeral arrangements."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Wanders Off - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Wait, something's coming back...

I remember ...

Trees. Oh great. Can't hardly remember anything, and I remember freakin' trees. Great. Look at this, we're in a forest! There's trees everywhere! How can I not remember trees?

Hmm, well I think these trees were ... specific. Yes... over that way. West. I remember west. Sun sets over there, but further off than I've ever been. At least, so far. Shouldn't get too far from the clan. I can't imagine where they'd be without me. Certainly not in any land of sunsets crashing down on their heads, but even so, gotta keep an eye on them. I'll get back to that, soon as I'm back there.

Huh. Those bushes I just passed through. I've done that before. Actually, how did I do that? Those are pretty thick, and there's not a mark on - ah, yes, in, slide left, duck under the brambles, small climb to the gap mid-way, and slide right and out. Ha! Another memory. Good sign. Definitely a good sign!

And it's just a bit further. To the trees. Although do I really need to go there now? I mean I already got another memory back. Wait! That log! Ha, and the sign! I remember making that, too. "Not ready yet." Oh, but it looks like it's ready now. Good thing too. I'm starved! Roll and scoop, roll and scoop, that's the way we catch the food. Ha, wow, now that's an old memory. Back when they were teaching the younglings to gather pulp beetles. Wow.

Wait, did I always have this sack with me? Ah well, better get these back to the clan. I swear I don't know what they'd- hey wait, milkweed. Was someone saying they wanted milkweed for something? Or was it something else? Gah, well I guess I can't remember everything at once. Can't hurt to grab some. Ooh, and is -

"Hey! Hey there you are! Come on, Wanders Off. Tempts wants everyone back at the camp. Some big plan he wants to discuss."

"Oh yeah sure. I was on my way back."

"Good, hurry up!"

"Oh, there were some trees I wanted to check out..."

"Wanders! Come on, this is important!"

"Oh right, fine.

"Pulp beetle?"

"Hm, don't mind if I do."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Worst Case - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 pm

What could possibly have happened? I could neither remember who I was, nor where I was, nor what the reason was for me to wake up in a dark place with a real bad headache. I'm clutching a scroll in my hand, I unfold it and try to read it, but it's too dark.
I'm smelling something: There is drying blood on my clothing. From a wound? No, it more seems as if I was sitting in it ... Oh Yuck! A completely squished rat!!! Directly beside me! Aching head or not I'm jumping to my feet and taking some steps back. Disgusting!
I almost feel compassion with the rat though, as the trap which killed it is almost a piece of art, wire, gears, springs, screws... that's what I calling 'overkill' somebody wanted to get rid of that rodent really, really badly it seems. Well, rats carry the plague, devour large amounts of the harvest and don't hesitate to gnaw off a sleepers nose when they are still hungry afterwards.
As it seems I'm in some storehouse for foodsupplies it shouldn't be a big surprise that there are rats or traps.
So many supplies, looks like enough for a small army... I'm deciding to be very cautious when I'm leaving this place.
I'm opening the door slightly, sun is shining, early morning, more small huts, lot's of people looking around and at each other or at some scrolls in in confusion.
Oh yes the scroll:

" To do:

- Ask .... how many humans are gathering in neighbor village

- Check fortification plans! x

- Trap my hut! x

- Check foodsupplies! x

- Show fortification plans to ... ! o

- Convince ... to use badly locked treasure chest plan this time! o

- Set usual traps around village! o

- Convince ... to put most important scrolls into clay jars and bury them somewhere in case clan is whiped out! o

- Convince ... that it is important to translate most important scrolls into dwarven and elven language and carve it all together in a large stoneplate in case all goblinkind is whiped out! o

- Find a way to save scrolls in case whole planet is whiped out! o "

It was the last thre things on the list which kept me wondering, which sort of goblin I actually was...
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Talks No Sense - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Nonsence yawned. It had been a long day. In fact, the fact that this day was eternal and there wasn't ever a night here didn't help. Time and meaning didn't have any say here. Which was nice because the parties lasted longer without them. Or shorter maybe, you couldn't really tell.

He slowly rose and rubbed his head as he tried to remember all the stuff he drunk a bit ago. 'A bit ago', probably the only way to get the meaning of past across here. He yawned again and looked around. Being a god wasn't as much fun as people said it was. Sure, you have the celetiall virgins but people had no idea how grumpy they were. And how terribly boring it was the listen about fashion for severall eternities.

"Hey Says! We got a game startin'!" The young god looked up at this figure which was for some reason, wearing a pink tutu. "Hey Random, what's with the dress-thing?". "Lost a bet. You comin' or not? We're startin' game with high bets.". Says frowned and a smile spread across his face. "High bets ey? Some more believe is never enough." Both grinned at eachother, but neither knew why. That stuff just happens.

Says looked at the game table. Which displayed an accurate carving of a small world. A large forest was divided in squares. "It's goblins and humans. Winner gets all." The broadsmiled god smiled broadly at the two newcomers. Who both dropped severall bronze tokens at the side of the board. The god nodded and continue to smile painfully. "Get your heroes out..." Says noted the large number of humans, and the cup of coffee Random got stuck with. Hesitating for a moment he reached into his pockets, and pulled out the figure of a dressed up goblin. "Lets play..."

-------------------------------

Talks poked the dead human. He thought about a lot of things now. Like where the brick came from that crushed his skulls. Many of the things he thought of contained large bricks now. But one trail of thought pushed itself forward and battled to be heard. Slowly rizing Talks looked at the sky. The thought cheered in victory. "The sky seems a bit different tone of blue today..."And stopped cheering. The thought looked around in shame a bit before fading in the huge mess. Talks looked around. He could almost hear the rattling of dice, but was rudelly interrupted by the large bear behind him.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Slings Words - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Another late night.

Slings was sitting at a table, starlight and moonlight cascading down from above. He preferred writing to their light more than a lamp…he found it helped the creative process most times.

His quill gracefully danced along the parchment, line after line of another great adventure, brewed from the deep recesses of his imagination-riddled mind. He knew the children were looking forward to this one. He had promised to have it finished by tomorrow, but the way he was feeling…he wasn’t sure if that promise was going to be kept.

He let off a long, loud yawn.

His quill stopped writing. Placing it down as a warrior would his favorite sword, Slings rubbed his eyes shook his head to chase the fatigue away.

“Looks like you could use some coffee,” a voice called from behind.

Turning, Slings had to blink a few times as the lamplight blinded him momentarily. Finally having his vision adjust, he could see an older goblin standing there, lamp in one hand, pot of coffee in the other.

“Java,” Slings answered with a friendly smirk.

Java made his way to the opposite end of the table and sat down, placing both pot an lamp on the table as well.

“Now, I have an excuse for being up so late, snotling. What causes you to be stay out so late?”

Slings sat there in silence for a moment, blushing at the elder’s words. After a moment, he took the parchment and quill from the table and held them up for Java to see.

“Ah…I see. Up to your writing again, eh?”

Java pulled out of his hip pouch two metal mugs. One was clearly used more than the other and Slings assumed it was Java’s usual cup. The other was slightly worn, obviously from being shared with other goblins. Slings, again, assumed this cup was for a coffee-drinking partner.

The older goblin poured the coffee and slid Slings one. Slings looked at it with a look of consternation.

“What’s the matter? Never had a cup of coffee before?”

Slings looked at his elder, then back at the cup, blushed and shook his head.

“Well that’s a shame. You young goblins don’t know the beauty that lies within a good cup of coffee.”

Java took a sip.

“So this story you’re writing…what’s it about?”

Slings hesitated for a moment, then finally picked up the parchment and read what he had to Java. Java sat there, face not betraying any feelings that he might’ve had through the duration of Slings’ oratory. When it was completed, Java leaned back in his seat and took another sip of his coffee.

“You have a creative mind, I’ll give you that.”

Slings smiled at Java’s kind words.

“However…may I make a suggestion or two?”

Slings’ smile faded. He expected the elder to give him some lecture on how he shouldn’t waste time that he could use to sleep to write foolish stories or how his mind wasn’t where it should be. He braced himself for it.

“I think the hero…er…Laughs at Danger was it? I think he’d do well to have a not so reckless outlook on life. He should enjoy going into battle but he lacks a necessary motivation to do so. No one wants to hear a story about a hero that fights just to fight. All good heroes have a reason for fighting.”

Slings sat there in awed silence. He had never known Java to have any knowledge about such things. He certainly didn’t count on such great advice.

“Ah…you didn’t think I knew about such things. I tell you what, Slings Words, I’ve been around for many seasons and I know a great many things. You snotlings…always thinking you’re the experts on everything…”

Slings looked down, embarrassed at his actions. After a moment, he looked up at the elder, who seemed to still be fuming slightly.

“Would you…help me change it?” Slings asked, holding up the parchment and quill.

Java gazed at him levelly. He slowly reached out and took the quill. With a smirk, he slid his chair next to Slings and pushed Slings cup of coffee to him.

“Drink up, boy. You’ll need it.”

Slings gave his elder a delighted smile and took his first drink of coffee. Both goblins began pouring over the text, changing, rewriting, laughing, bonding.

And the night went on.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Shakes A Spear - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm

This green guy seems to know what he's talking about.

I certainly hope my name, should I ever remember it, is something cool like that. I know some people have remembered similar names now, while some others have remembered a different sort of name. I want a name that means something.

I didn't stick around to watch the goblins who remember themselves go down into the temple. I could be doing that. I could be really useful. Problem is, Tempts said that, since we don't know who the defenders usually are or how they defend the place, we should just surround ourselves with a wall of weapons held by whoever doesn't have something better to do.

That's why I'm in the weapons hut right now, alone. I was the first one to get here, and I don't know what to grab. There are axes hanging by straps from the walls, swords laid out on tables, and daggers everywhere. Nothing seems the right thing to grab... Hey, there's a rack of spears over in the corner there. I'll grab a couple of those.

This feels right. I heft one of them and toss it at a practice dummy, scoring a hit across its cheek. Hmm, I appear to be passable at this. I grab another and jab the dummy twice in the belly, then spin around and whack it across the head.

WHOOSH. Hey, I remember that sound, I think. And if I do this... *whoosh, whoosh* Yeah, that makes that sound...

This is me, isn't it? I do this.

Hey.

I remember my name.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Worst Case - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 am

"G' evning Slings."
Slings Words had just entered the storage hut to fetch another blank scroll, and was surprised to find Worst Case counting the supplies on the shelves.

"Good evening Case, please tell me You are just worried about the next winter, or why are you checking the supplies? There isn't trouble brewing right?"

"Wish I could answer that with a 'Yes!'.
It is as the vision said, lots of armed humans are gathering in the next village, our scouts just came in with the news, that there is a mage preparing something complicated.
Since there isn't much in this area but us and this old temple... well it's not that difficult to sort it out. Better we get ready in time."

"Can I help somehow?" Slings Words asked, now really worried.

"Well You could inform the guards to be on their toes tonight, speaking of: Why is Java in that a lousy mood today?"

"Oh, that's because somebody stole his helmet, you know, the one he was brewing his coffee in."

"An old helmet? Metal? Blackened from the outside, smelling of coffee from the inside? Human sized?" Worst Case asked.

"Yes! That's it! have You seen it?"

"What?... Errr... No!!! Haven't seen it ever!" Worst Case stated, while pushing a complicated looking new rattrap a little further behind the shelves with her boot.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Dresses Like a Boy - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:07 am

Java sits in his hut, a mug of dark liquid beside him, pouring over a scroll of the warcamp layout.

"Hmmm... perhaps if I put Slings here... no, that would leave this area open..."

The curtain over the door is thrown open (unfortunately without the dramatic BANG! of a door) and in storms a slight goblin.

"JAVA!"

Dresses Like A Guy strides over to the table, slamming her hands down on it.

"I'm tired of being given 'softball' duties. Every night, you have me guarding the entrance to the temple. While I know it's important, it's dull. Nothing ever happens! I'm one of the more competent fighters in the clan, and I feel that I'm being wasted!"

"I agree."

"I've had it up to here and... wait, what?"

Java takes another sip of his coffee. "I agree with you, Dresses. When you first joined, I wasn't sure of your abilities. Then, when Built Like A Mountain died, I didn't want to push you, because of your loss." He picks up a pen, and scribbles a note on the layout before him.

"The humans are up to something. I want you on the front line, in case they try an assault. Go get some armor from Case, and report to the front post."

Dresses steps back, somewhat stunned. She nods, and turns to go.

"One more thing, Dresses. If you can find my helmet..."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Slings Words - Story 3

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:08 am

Darkness.

It’s quiet here…peaceful

Noise. No…noises.

Slings slowly awoke. The darkness of his dream world gave way to the light of the midday sun. Slings’ eyes opened cautiously, letting the haze of unconsciousness drift away at its own pace. When all was clear again, he sat up and looked around.

“Where am I?”

Around him ran several other goblins through a village Slings wasn’t familiar with. As a matter of fact, Slings wasn’t familiar with a lot of things. Specifically, who he was or what was going on.

“Umm…” Slings nervously called to the nearest goblin passing him, “Could you…tell me…what’s going…”

The goblin just rushed by him, not paying him a even a secondary glance. Slings frowned. Rising to his feet, he began working through the hordes of panicking goblins. Chaos seemed to reign supreme in this place, and Slings felt it was probably safer if he found who was in charge.

In the distance, he could see a large gathering of goblins around someone or something.

Must be important…

As he made his way over, he took a good look at the goblins around him. Off to the side was a male goblin-

Wait…no…

He looked closer. In actuality that male goblin was a female dressed like a male. Slings raised an eyebrow. He decided not to think at it and continued to look around. Another goblin seemed to be cowering behind the trunk of a tree. Another male seemed terribly sleep deprived, or at least had the appearance of not having a good night’s sleep in a while. One seemed to be cradling a guava in his arms and scurrying about seemingly lost. Yet another seemed to be a female with a sour look on her face and bandages adorning her hands.

Slings would’ve continued observing his fellow goblins if it wasn’t for a particularly nasty tree root reaching out and snagging his foot.

Brushing himself off, he made his way to the group and carefully made his way through the crowd, making sure not to bump anyone in fear of triggering anger or panic in some paranoid goblin. Finally reaching the inner circle, Slings could see a lone figure standing amidst the confused masses. Unlike everyone else, this particular goblin seemed confident and in control of everything around him.

“Everyone calm down! You there!” the head goblin pointed at another nearby goblin, “Go get everyone to come over here!”

Slings watched as the head goblin started issuing orders to those around him to bring order to the chaos.

Slings leaned to the goblin nearest him and whispered.

“Who is that? What’s going on?”

The goblin shushed him as everyone else quickly gathered around the green goblin at the center.

“Ok…listen up! I’m going to explain this quickly so we can get ready! I’m Tempts Fate. I’m not actually a member of this goblin village or warcamp. What apparently happened was that some nearby humans cast a spell to make all of you forget who you are so that they may come in and kill you all without resistance. Why are they doing this? Because this warcamp happens to be guarding a magical temple that can duplicate any magical item for a brief period of time. We need to organize quickly so that we can fight them off when they come! Apparently, my presence has caused some of you to start remembering who you are. I hope this actually spreads to everyone because otherwise, we might have problems. Our first course of action is to go into that temple to obtain weapons and armor. I cannot go in with you because otherwise the effects of my presence may wear off.”

Tempts pointed at a nearby, elderly looking goblin.

“You. You look to be the oldest I’ve seen so far. You’ll help me organize. Have you remembered your name?”

The older goblin stepped forward, a look of seriousness about him.

“Java.”

“Ok, Java you’ll help me organize everyone for this.”

Slings gazed at the older goblin and something twitched in the back of his head. He looked down at the pouch at his hip and reached in. He pulled out a parchment and quill. Eyes staring intently, almost as if the parchment were his most prized possession, Slings began to read what was on it.

“A long time ago…there lived a young female goblin named Eyes like a Deer. Eyes had a propensity for getting herself kidnapped on consistent basis, but this wasn’t a problem. It wasn’t a problem because there lived a goblin who loved her dearly…his name was Fights for Love-“

At those words, something opened in Slings mind. A bright revealing light had illuminated what was, a moment earlier, dark and lost.

“I’m…Slings Words…”

Slings stood there in stunned silence.

“I’m Slings Words!”

Everyone in the crowd turned and looked at him. Slings blushed heavily and started to slink back toward the outskirts of the gathering.

“Stop!”

Tempts Fate held his hand up and moved toward Slings.

“You remember who you are?”

Slings nodded nervously.

“What do you do? Fight? Strategize? Are you the Chief or the Teller?”

Slings looked at the ground for a moment. He remembered he wasn’t much of a talker…or much of a fighter. He realized Tempts was still looking at him. All he could do was raise the parchment and quill before Tempts and blush a much deeper shade.

“I….write…”

Tempts stared at Slings long and hard.

“Slings is actually a skilled storyteller and writer,” a voice from behind them called, “If anything he could record the events here for posterity in case we don’t make it.”

The elder goblin, Java had stepped forward.

“And he may not be one of the best fighters we have but he’s really smart. He might’ve been one of the spellcasters.”

Tempts turned back to Slings and stared at him. Finally, a smile seemed to spread on his face.

“You’ll do fine, Slings. Just be careful.”

Tempts returned to the center and started organizing everyone. Slings stood there, not listening to what Java and Tempts were saying but instead was lost in his imagination.

Tempts Fate…

He pulled a fresh piece of parchment and started to quickly scribble.

Tempts Fate looked down upon the village he happened upon and saw the goblins in trouble…
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Talks No Sense - Story 3

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:09 am

Talks-no-sense rubbed his eyes. He couldn't recall why he was here standing in the middle of this clearing. Or there was a carcass of a large bear on front of him that apparently had choked while trying to eat a pair of human corpses.

Then a slight touch of revelation hit him. He looked up to the world with a new purpose. Trying a challenging stance he looked up to the sky and screamed: "I like pudding!". He blinked. That hadn't been what be intended to say, and it gave him the feeling that somewhere a whole table of people were cracked up by him now.

he couldn't divine the origin of this feeling, or why he brought up the subject of pudding and his affection with it. Neither could he divine the purpose he felt. But he didn't care. He had to pick up the priestly trousers and start a religion. If only he knew what kind of religion, or which god. Or where to get priestly trousers.

*severall moments later*

Talks-no-sense admired himself in the pool's reflection. It deemed a little strange to him that one of the humans had been carrying a goblin-sized priest robe. But one could not deny it's silky softness that makes you think of bathing.

Picking up a nearby stick to be his priestly stick, he yelled in pain. The stick had made a large gash in his hand. He looked at it. It had been a very pointy stick, but Talks wild actions had broken it. But his mind wasn't on the gash. He could only think of the devastating capabilities it once possessed. Sorrowfull he moved towards the warcamp to preach whatever word he could think of as a priest.

*A lot of time later, due to not knowing WHERE the warcamp is*

He remembered alot now, he had heard Tempts talking. He looked towards the small chest that Tempts had used. Talks looked to where tempts was now, he was standing with an old and grumpy looking goblin that somehow reminded Talks of a blackened helmet and him stealing it all the time.

He stalked towards the chest and stepped on it, stumbled and fell, got up and managed to stand steadily on the chest now. Looking around he saw he got the attention of severall goblins. Coughing to announce he was about to say something and wondering why he did that in the first place he began:

"Fellow Goblins! Hear my word! Hear it and spread it amongst the goboldian.., goboldese...gobli... Aah hell! Just listen to me! I'm sure you'll all be going to pray to Maglubiyet! But when has he answered these prayers? Okay I don't remember that either. OKAY he could've always done it but that's not the point! Just...witness the power of our new god, which name I don't know yet!."

He pointed towards a random goblin in the crowd. His mind raced as he searched for what to say. He decided some blessing of the god was in order. He cleared his throath. "In name of my god! You hereby are a...ducky!" The goblin blinked a few times. Then smiled and said 'Quack' before moving away from the puzzled crowd to see Java.

"Ummm... maybe it takes longer to affect the body?"

Makes-Animals-Noises smiled, after all this bugger and bother he finally remembered his name...
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Pounces From the Shadows - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 am

Ergh.. My aching head...

What happened?? Where in the bloody Nine Hells am I?
What are the Nine Hells anyway?? And for that matter, who in the chacking blit am I?? What's a chacking blit??

And why won't my head stop pounding?

The noise of a gathering throng disrupts the mental monologue.

Ok, a growing crowd.. That has got to be bad news..

*An image of a tall heavily muscled green female flashes before his mind eye. Whoever she is, she doesn't look like the friendly type*

Now who the grat is that?

He sighs wearily..

Might as well see what that crowd is about, maybe it'll provide me with some answers

The dark skinned goblin moves towards the crowd, moving from shadow to shadow, almost as if he's at home in them.

He listens to the goblin called Tempts Fate as he spins his tale..

So, that's why my head hurts.. Still doesn't explain who I am, or who the female was? Although, with my luck, and considering how things are going, I'm probably married to that one.. Hmm.. No, doesn't feel right.. So it's not marriage, but I am connected to her somehow. That much I can feel.. Family member maybe? Feels about right..

All I do know is, that it's probably safer to be in that temple than around her. Something tells me that the current events are definitely not going to put her in a good mood. If anything can for that matter.

He watches on as another goblin gets on a chest and starts to talk about something..

Ok, that makes no sense what so ever. Could just be this throbbing headache though.. Better to stay in the shadows for a while, at least until it subsides a bit and I can think a little more clearly or until that female shows up in which case it's just wiser to make like a tree and leave.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Java - Story 2

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am

Java sighed. It was another one of those long guard shifts, when the village was quite. No wind was blowing and nothing was moving about in the forest.

It was easy on guard shifts like this, but also boring. Java knew from long experience, so often in the past, easy, boring shifts had led to dead goblins.

Java turned to the two young snotling’s peering out over the big rock next to him. “Dresses, Keep your watch. I am going to check on the other positions”. “Yes Java,” said the youngest warrior. “Dresses like a Guy”, who was a season older and a whole lot bolder asked, “Are you going to make coffee?”

Java sighed again…”No, probably not. We are running a bit low on beans. I need to ration them a bit until I make the next trip.”

The two young goblins both jumped up at once, “We can help you go get more beans. Can we? Can we go?”

Java sighed for the 3rd time in less than a minute. “We’ll see. It’s dangerous. I will need to ask chief.”

Java already knew what “Chief” would say if he asked to take some warriors to gather the prized coffee beans. “Take them. Take all of them. Take any of them.”

Chief was always looking for ways to get his younger warriors seasoned, and a trip to get coffee beans, although dangerous was always successful, if the warriors were careful.

Although it might not be as dangerous as raiding the farmlands, young warriors had perished while on the trip to the far mountains to gather coffee beans, young warriors that had trusted Java to teach them how to survive. Young warriors who had died because Java had let them down.

The last trip had been like so many Java had taken over the years past. Java had selected a few of the more promising young warriors, as well as a few veterans that Java trusted to follow his lead if trouble presented itself.

Many times a raid into the farmlands had ended in disaster because some hot-blooded warrior had attacked before the rest were ready, or done something to tip off their enemies that the “Readers Raiders” were on the prowl. Java was always careful to select for his coffee trips a mix of veterans and pair them up with a young warrior who needed to season a bit.

Usually, this pairing of experience and youth worked, but not always. A very promising young warrior, “All Arms and Legs”, who had been a watcher for the last season under Java’s tutelage had perished when an ogre had ambushed the party as they made their way along the frigid brook up the mountainside to were the most desired beans grew.

The far mountains were the coffee beans grew was home to many giant lairs, ogre clans and even several other goblin tribes. In order for a trip to gather beans to be successful, it had to be carefully planned. Java was always careful. Java always made sure that his small party reached the lake that was downstream several nights before the nights of no moon.

The goblins would follow the shallow brook upstream, moving only at night and hiding by day. If Java had timed the three-day trip up the mountain correctly, the small party would arrive on a night when only starlight was visible, and the moon was hiding. Then as fast as possible, the goblins would fill their sacks with the prized beans from the many plants growing along the star brook and in the waning hours of night hurry back down the mountain and hide in a cave until the next night when they would continue back down until reaching the lake.

The trip home from the lake could be dangerous as well, but Java had found several good hiding places for each night’s encampment, so his main worry was always the actual gathering along the star brook. The party had to be small, so as to be unnoticed, but because of this, the twelve or so goblins all had to gather beans, leaving no one to watch. This was always the most dangerous part of the entire trip, and no matter what Java had tried to think of, if a life was lost, it was at this point.

Last time, an ogre had grabbed the young warrior, “All Arms and Legs” as he moved upstream, gathering the beans. His partner, the grizzled veteran, “Bent Skull” had only time to throw one spear before the ogre was away, leaving only the dropped sack, half-filled with beans dropped by “All arms and Legs” as the only sign of the entire encounter.

Java had ordered the survivors to gather their half-filed sacks, and fled downstream. This aborted trip was why the village was now running low on coffee beans, making another trip necessary soon.

In his youth, when he was known as the snotling “Jittery”, Java had often heard the whispered cruel taunts from the other warriors, some who saw him as a coward. His tendency to startle easily had led Java to prefer working alone, where his actions would not endanger others. In his youth Java had often made long journeys by himself, which had led to many discoveries of hiding places, safe and unknown even to other goblins. Java had often made use of hiding as a way to survive, rather than fighting. The scrolls that held the names of brave dead goblins already filled several huts.

Java had also learned long ago that a warriors worth should not be counted by who was the first to charge the enemy, but rather by those who learned enough to make their was home again, after they had met and defeated the enemy. For this reason, Java always took it personal when a warrior was lost on his coffee raids. Java knew he needed to make another trip soon, but the last trip still haunted his dreams.

On the last trip, even after six days, the loss of the warrior “All arms and Legs” still bothered Java. As the survivors had returned to the village, the fact that the alert Watchers Java had trained and left behind had immediately challenged the return party for the proper password had not lifted Java’s black mood. As the goblin villagers rushed to gather the beans and start the ceremony that always arose upon the return of coffee beans to the village, Java had slipped away.

Java made his way to the small hut he shared with the old goblin woman, “Thunder”. In her youth, only the bravest and biggest warriors had dared to call her by the name given her by the ‘Teller, “Thunder Thighs”. It was said her reaction to this given name had helped train many of the warriors of her youth in hand-to-hand combat and personal first aid. Although Thunder was not his woman, she was his companion, a friend from his time as a snotling. Although they did not share a bed or any of that other nonsense their age, they did share the memories of youth and so many friends amongst the “Scrolls of the Dead”

As Java entered the hut, he saw his battered blackened helmet set upon a small fire. The fragrant smell of his most prized beans, from his hidden stash greeted him. Java put away his few possessions without saying a word to “Thunder” who was busy peeling turnips. Java settled down on his favorite resting place.

“Thunder”, laid down the small knife, took Java favorite battered cup down from its hook and dipped into the helmet. Carefully carrying the steaming coffee filled cup, she set it beside java and returned to her turnips.

“Thunder” always knew Java’s moods. She finished peeling the turnips in silence, waiting for Java to speak first. So Java sat slowly sipping the coffee, savoring it, awaiting the rush he still felt after all of these years as the warm liquid began to take the edge off his frayed nerves.

Unlike most other goblins, Java had found out long ago that the coffee had the opposite effect upon him as it did most other goblins. As the warmth spread from his stomach to the rest of him, Java was no longer jittery. Coffee always calmed him, keeping him from being easily startled. He always found it ironic; that the others claimed that coffee made them “Jittery”.

Java rose slowly. He knew that the Chief would be waiting upon him for a report. Java slowly took the empty cup, rinsed it and hung it upon the hook. He shuffled to his chest, pulled out his best clothes and dressed. “Thunder” had already started a pot of water to boil, so Java knew he needed to meet with Chief soon if he wanted to have warm turnips for his meal. Grabbing a cup, Java dipped it into the helmet, so he could take chief a cup of the best.

Stopping in the doorway of the hut with the steaming cup of coffee in his hand, Java finally spoke, “I lost one”. Turning to look at Java, Thunder slowly nodded her head. She had known. She always knew. “Who?” she quietly asked.

Java winched, looked back into the hut and said, “This Star Brooks coffee is getting really expensive. It cost us “All Arm and a Leg.”
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Slings Words - Story 4

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am

Ah treetop…

Morning had come and Slings lied on his normal tree branch. He sighed happily and stretched his arms upward toward the sky, letting his muscles stretch.

He rolled off the branch and grabbed hold before plummeting, letting his body dangle there for a moment. Suddenly, he saw his quill and various parchments fall from his bag. In a rash and impulsive move, Slings let go and fell, somehow catching his lost effects midair moments before hitting the ground with a heavy thud.

“Ow…”

“Slings! Are you all right?” a familiar voice called.

“….not sure,” Slings replied, face still plowed into the dirt from the fall.

Before he knew it, he was being lifted to his feet. Still dizzy from the impact, Slings was suddenly aware of a pair of hands dusting his clothes off. The hands moved to his shoulders and shook him a bit.

“C’mon Slings…snap out of it!” the voice continued.

Slings’ dizziness left him, now being shaken somewhat more violently than he would’ve liked. He put his hands up to cease the shaking, regaining his footing as best he could. After a few moments, his balance was regained and his vision started to clear.

Before him stood Dresses Like a Guy. Dresses, one of the few female goblins in the warcamp, was aptly named. Today, she seemed to favor a slightly baggy shirt and a dirtied pair of pants. It wasn’t clear if her pants were previously dirty or if she had decided to get an early start today, but Slings mind was occupied with other things currently.

At this moment, for some reason, he couldn’t stop staring into her eyes.

“Oh man! Slings! You should’ve seen yourself fall from that branch! I didn’t even know you were up there until I saw you falling!”

Slings, predictably, blushed heavily.

“Thanks…”

“No problem. I was just worried that you had hurt yourself or something and I’d have to take your guarding shift!” Dresses laughed.

Slings continued to stare into her eyes for a few more moments before suddenly realizing his parchments and quill were on the ground. He knelt to retrieve them, expecting Dresses to leave him to his things. Suddenly, he realized Dresses was helping pick up his lost articles.

“So what have you been working on, Slings?”

Every parchment she picked up, she examined, quickly scanning over the contents of each. Slings, realization dawning on him, quickly started rummaging through the scattered parchments, looking for a particular one.

“What’s this one?” Dresses asked.

Slings’ eyes went wide.

“No! That one’s not-“ he said, reaching for the paper Dresses had.

“Oh c’mon…let me read,” Dresses teased, holding the paper away from Slings’ desperately reaching hands.

Slings grabbed for it, stumbled, hit the ground again.

“’The Tale of Dresses Like a Guy’…you never told me you wrote a story about me!”

Slings hopped to his feet, frantic.

“Don’t read it! It’s not done! I need to rewrite it! Some plot points aren’t complete! Too many typos!”

It was too late however. Dresses eyes had already begun dancing down the page, reading line after line. Slings covered his face, trying to prepare himself for the inevitable blow. He waited…and waited…and waited. No blow ever came.

He peaked out from between his eyes to find Dresses still scanning the parchment, completely serious look on her face. Slings bit his lip.

“Look…I didn’t mean…er…what it’s supposed to…ummm”

“I love it!” Dresses shouted, suddenly wrapping her arms around Slings in a big hug.

Slings stood there in complete shock.

“It’s sweet how you had my character follow in her father’s footsteps as a great warrior. When’s it gonna be done?”

All Slings could do was shrug, utterly speechless at her less-than-negative reaction.

“Well I hope you’ll let me read the rest. I’d better go…late for guard duty. Bye, Slings!”

Slings watched as she ran off. He smiled one of the goofiest smiles his face had ever produced, not taking his eyes off her until she was out of site. He stood there for a few moments, lost in thought.

“Slings! Stop daydreaming and get over here! We could use your help!” Dances with Llamas called from across the warcamp.

He snapped out of his daze, smile still adorning his face. Kneeling to pick up his things, all he could do was think. Think about Dresses.

Maybe someday…
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Bad News - Story 1

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 am

The midday sun filters through the forest canopy, while the local bird life sing their songs.
A herde of deer nibble at some of the shrubbery, taking care not to go out into the open forest clearing nearby.

A forest clearing, which lacks the peaceful look of the rest of the forest. Sunlight glints off of a broken greatsword, lying in the grass. Flies buzz around two unmoving bodies.. A wild boar and a green-skinned female goblin lie together in a pool of blood

One of the flies lands on the female goblin and moves from her forehead to her nose and quickly flies off as she makes a swatting motion with her left hand, which is clad in a spiked gauntlet.. She groans in pain as her eyes open and shut again to block out the fierceness of the sunlight.

As she tries to roll to her left side, she finds that her right hand is lodged within the throat of the boar. Grunting she jerks her arm free, and the right gauntlet pops off..

“Chak, that thing is pretty stuck.”

She takes off the other gauntlet and lets it drop into the grass..

“And why the flak do I have a headache.. That thing didn't hit me in the head after all..”

She winces for a moment as her hands explore the gash in her side.

“Ok, that's going to leave a scar”, and she grins at the thought.

A grin that quickly fades, when she sees the broken sword lying in the grass.

“Aaaargh... It took ages to have that blade made, and now thanks to that stupid hog, it's broken..”

She glares at the boar in resentment.. It simply stares back at her with dull lifeless eyes.

Cussing under her breath, she stomps towards a cluster of bushes at the edge of the clearing, and retrieves a backpack.. Getting out a waterskin she cleans the gash in her side and then dresses it with some bandages. She then takes a sip of water from the skin, as she ponders her next move..

“Guess I should've worn my armour and taken my throwing axe along as well.. Stupid blit was a little tougher than I anticipated. Oh well.. Least we'll have some meat for the stew tonight, one more night of just boiled turnips and who knows what would've happened.”

Grabbing the backpack, she quickly retrieves and stores the broken pieces of her blade within it. With some luck the blacksmith of the warcamp will be able to fix it. She then retrieves and puts on her left gauntlet and using its spikes, she manages to cut free the one still lodged in the boar's throat.

Putting that one on as well, she grabs the beast and drags it back to the camp..

“Halt.. Who goes there and what's the password..” a voice shouts out as she gets close..

“Oh, quit you're yapping, it's me.... Uh.. Wait a minute.. Who am I anyway??”
Her eyes blink rapidly in confusion, as she suddenly realizes that she has no clue as to who she is..

Letting go of the boar, she dives to the side as a spear whistles past her...

“I might not know who I am, ya chakking blit.. But you just made the biggest mistake of your life throwing that spear at me.. Messing with me is asking for bad news.. Wait a moment..”

As she tumbles to her right, narrowly avoiding another spear..
“That's my name.. Bad News..”

With a fierce grin she manages to dodge yet another spear and charges the sentry..

“It's hurting time now, ya gratting blit, I'm going to ram one of these gauntlets so far up your backside, that I'll be able to remove your tonsils, as I rip it out again...”
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Talks No Sense - Story 4

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 am

Says-Nonsence watched the game. It was the silence before the storm, and while not actually started it was already very tensed. The forgetting spell had knocked most goblins into useless. If it hadn't been for a lucky roll of another god the game would've been quite short. Games like these made him wonder, if they trully could affect the things happening down there. Was the clan always supposed to get addicted to coffee or did Random create that destiny for them. Says tapped his fingers on the table, gods weren't supposed to think like this.

------------------

Talks looked at the towel he had been using as a priest robe, and looked around his quarter. He could only remember flashes of who he was. And he felt as his old life would never be fully restored to him. He looked around again and tripped over a scroll. Cursing he picked it up and threw it over to the other side of the hut. He shared what he guessed was the spellcaster hut with some other goblins. One of them called Slings words, which always had felt strange to Talks because he was the one throwing scrolls about if they strayed into his area of the hut.

He smiled, atleast he could remember that. He tried cleaning up his hay bed, found severalls quills and scrolls. Threw them onto Sling's bed. Then stepped back to oversee his work. Despite his best efforts it didn't seem tidyer. Something made him look under the hay bed. As he gazed at the emptiness under it he felt as if something was quite wrong, and somehow all he could remember about this nagging feeling was the loud voice of an elderly goblin, blackened steel and the smell of coffee.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Dresses Like a Boy - Story 3

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:15 am

Ow... what happened?

The female goblin sat up, looking around in a daze. Over to one side, there was a crowd gathering around a dark green goblin. Tempts Fate? Never heard of him. Then again, I can't remember who I am...

She stands up, brushing herself off. Odd... am I supposed to be wearing pants? Hmmm, somehow this seems right. Her hand brushed against something in her pocket. When she pulled it out, she realized it was a scroll.

Interesting. This goblin, 'Dresses Like A Guy,' seems like an avid warrior. The author seems to admire her very much. I wonder who wrote it.

She wandered over towards the growing crowd, not really paying attention to the goblin in the towel standing on the chest.

"Come on, Readers. Everyone who can remember your name, you need to head into the Temple and arm yourselves! I'd go with you, but somehow, my presence is keeping the spell at bay."

The temple! That sounds familiar. Very dangerous.

Then it hit her. She took another look at the scroll in her hands before stepping forward, scroll held in front of her.

"I remember my name."
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Dresses Like a Boy - Story 4

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 am

"You wanted to see me, Java?"

The elder goblin sighed, and motioned his guest inside. He seemed to do a lot of sighing nowadays. Ah, the price of being an elder. "Sit down, Dresses. We need to talk."

"I told you, it was an accident! Invades-Your-Space got a bit too close, I felt the grope, and the next thing I know..."

"Not that, Dresses." Great, this was going to be harder than he thought. He grabbed himself another cup of the rich liquid from the helmet on the fire, fetching one for Dresses as well. "As you've probably heard, I've got something of a reputation with the females in this tribe."

Dresses nods, sipping her coffee. "Mainly White-With-One. He says that every time he brings a girl in for coffee, he leaves, and she doesn't."

Java shrugs helplessly. "Can I help it if these things happen? Thing is, I now have a reputation of being a 'lady's goblin,' in spite of the fact that I'm not."

Dresses frowns. "Does that mean that you're going to.... eeewww! Java, you've known me since I was a snotling! Heck, you've even changed my diaper on several occasions! You're like an uncle to me! I can't think of me and you..."

"Neither can I. That's why I need you to help me think of a way to get rid of this reputation."

Dresses bites her lower lip in thought, and absently spoons some mudhoney into their coffee. "Well, if you've settled with one goblin, that might ease that reputation. However, I know that you and thunder don't see each other that way, and I can't think of anyone else." She sits back, sipping her coffee. "Then again, there is... no, that wouldn't work."

Java leans forward, "No, tell me. What is it?"

"You could 'bat for the other team.'"

Seeing the blank stare that she got, Dresses tries again. "Um, become a 'sausage eater?' Become a bit 'light in the loafers?'" She sighs. "Pretend that you're gay."

Rambunctious laughing could be heard from outside the hut, followed by a loud Ouch, and Dresses saying, "Oh my god! Java! I'm so sorry! Let me see your eye!"
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Slings Words - Story 5

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:17 am

“HUMAN ATTACK!”

The call went out like an alarm through the warcamp. Slings had been doing his shift guarding the poorly-locked-treasure-chest, characteristically not focusing on the job he was supposed to be doing. Mind elsewhere, he almost didn’t hear the other goblins yelling and shouting.

Snapping back to reality, he could see all the others scrambling. Many were running to fortify the camp’s perimeter while others were handing out spears and swords. Amidst it all, he could see Java and “Chief” were coordinating the other goblins’ efforts.

Slings became suddenly aware of how dangerous of a position he was in. He never really understood why the others had assigned him to guard the chest, considering how he was one of the weaker warriors in the camp. He could never really swing a sword around as effectively as the others, or chuck a spear as accurately.

“JAVA!” Slings cried.

Java, despite being in the midst of the huge turmoil, turned to look at Slings.

“What should I do?!” Slings asked desperately, seemingly anxious to be given instructions.

Java gave him a motion to stay put with the chest and turned back to help the chief organize.

Slings stood there, looking left and right, watching the others rush about in their tumultuous hurry to be prepared for the imminent attack. By the weapons, he could see Dresses Like a Guy taking a sword, twirling it about as expertly as any of the veteran warriors. Slings couldn’t help but stare stupidly at her. She looked so beautiful, in a valkyric sort of way, wielding the weapon.

A scream emanated from the far end of camp, turning Slings attention from the object of his feelings. He could see Cheats at Poker running from his hut, serious look plastered on his face, spear clenched tightly in his hand. He obviously was headed for wherever that shriek came from.

Even Talks-No-Sense had ceased his normal babbling and seemed committed to protecting the Teller at all costs; circling the object of his protection like a lion did a freshly killed meal.

Slings looked back at the chest, and then back to everyone else. Sweat began to form on his brow. All he could do was what he did best…pull out a scroll and record what was happening, hopefully pulling some sort of inspiration from this ordeal…if he survived.

Before he could even go for his quill, he saw them. The humans had breached the eastern perimeter and were swarming into their camp, like vicious bloodthirsty cockroaches.

In moments the goblins in the camp had engaged the humans. A massive battle had erupted on all ends of the eastern half of the camp.. Dresses, Cheats, Dances with Llamas, all of his friends were dancing around a human or two each.

“How are you, Slings?”

Slings jumped at the sound of someone behind him. He whipped around to find Wanders Off standing there, spear in hand, lost look on his face.

“Wanders! What are you doing over here??”

“Not sure…just kinda found my way here.”

Another scream.

Slings turned just in time to see another of his friends, Walks Sideways, take a mace to the leg, crumpling him to the ground.

Slings’ teeth clenched.

He grabbed Wanders’ spear and took Wanders by the shoulders, staring him directly in the eyes.

“Wanders…I know its hard…but stay RIGHT HERE and make sure no humans get near this chest.”

Without another word or an answer from Wanders, Slings turned and bolted toward the human that had just incapacitated Walks. His pupils grew, first time he had felt this happen, and a growl rumbled low within him.

He charged.

He raised his spear high. A glowing faintly started to surround his weapon.

All he knew was the human and saving Walks.

With a mighty roar, magic pouring from him, Slings drove home
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Worst Case - Story 3

Postby SlingsWords on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:18 am

"Stupid, boring temple guard duty! Why did we have to place our warcamp here of all places?" Dresses complained when sitting down next to a campfire for an early breakfast.
The question was meant rhethorically but the other female goblin sitting by the fire, busy with roasting a sliece of bread answered at once:

"Because our clan is so large. We can't survive by just hunting and fishing. We had to start farming. But large fields can't be hidden very well so since we wanted the location of the village to remain a secret we had to search for a place suitable for fields and our warcamp. Not to mention, that most young men are at the warcamp most of the time and can help with the harvest.
So this was the best place we found and since the temple was in the same area it was smarter to lokate our warcamp at it's entrance.
Else the level one adventurers would have had a great opportunity to stack up on high mighty magic items before paying us a visit, so it all makes sense don't You agree, Dresses? ...Dresses? Are You listening?"

But Dresses, tired from the long watch and the boring lecture was already fast asleep. Worst Case sighed and pulled the blanket of her shoulder, carefully covering Dresses with it.
She sighed again, when she noticed that her toast had just caught fire...
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SlingsWords
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins