Owning a gun...

Comics, animations and games aimed at twisted people like you!

Moderator: Alan Foreman

Owning a gun...

Postby Cyberpawz on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm glad you said about wanting, and needing to own a gun... unthankfully the laws of the US for "Gun Control" are too strict as they are now, and in the same breath not strict enough.

Any Joe, Dick, and Harry can go out and buy a gun, the problem is that it is not mandatory to take classes to obtain a license to carry a gun in public.

2nd Amendment allows anyone of US citizenship to own a gun, I think the fact though with what happened in Virginia is a fluke, it proves in some cases that some laws should be beefed up... but at the same time, I think that it should of been easier for people there to get guns as well, for if some other person had a gun to begin with, 32 people including a teacher that survived the holocaust may not of died the way they did.

Although what amazes me that no one rushed the idiot when he was reloading, it takes a minimum of two to five seconds to switch cartridges and put a round into the chamber... you are telling me no one couldn't of rushed him? Not to mention that on average he was out-manned 20 to 1 on average... and the clips in the gun could only hold 9 shots a piece, 13 to 14 at most... and the average victim had 3 shots minimum in them...

Meh that's for another post I guess.
Collaboratio maximi momenti est, quia eis alterum scopum praebet.

Translated: Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at.
Cyberpawz
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Owning a gun...

Postby MythicFox on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:49 am

Cyberpawz wrote:Although what amazes me that no one rushed the idiot when he was reloading, it takes a minimum of two to five seconds to switch cartridges and put a round into the chamber... you are telling me no one couldn't of rushed him? Not to mention that on average he was out-manned 20 to 1 on average... and the clips in the gun could only hold 9 shots a piece, 13 to 14 at most... and the average victim had 3 shots minimum in them...

Meh that's for another post I guess.

Keith Olbermann has already covered this better than I could.
"I consider myself a road man for the lords of karma."
--Hunter S. Thompson
MythicFox
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Reuven on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:25 am

I don't own a handgun, but every time I see something like this, I begin to think I should get a permit to carry.

I'd happily settle for a non-lethal device if I could use it to knock out a psyco or a few psycos at a distance.
Um, err.. yeah.
Reuven
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby seadog_driftwood on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:44 am

Reuven wrote:I don't own a handgun, but every time I see something like this, I begin to think I should get a permit to carry.

I'd happily settle for a non-lethal device if I could use it to knock out a psyco or a few psycos at a distance.

*makes certain to wear a bullet-proof vest whenever visiting the U.S. in the future*
Guns are just too easy a weapon to use. Now when you get to blades, darts and lances, THERE's something that makes fighting an actual challenge. You use a gun, bang bang, you've won or you're dead. You use a knife or sword, it takes some actual skill and getting up close to the enemy. There's an actual element that makes you see your quarry before you kill.

Course, I could never stand that. I just think that guns are for people too lazy to actually do the gritty work.

Personally, I think that it's MORE THAN ENOUGH that under the United States constitution anybody's allowed to own a gun. That's plenty opportunity for nutjobs to get the materials to go postal like at Virginia. And HAVING a gun often increases the chances that it will be used - it's a form of power, and there's a huge risk that power will be abused. Best not to contribute to potential violence. The king of England isn't going to come over and dance a polka on your tulips, 'cause he's DEAD.
One third human*, one third squirrel**, one third ermine***, all confused.
*(sadly)
**("woolly flying squirrel", Eupetaurus cinereus. It lives in the mountains of Kashmir)
***(Mustela erminea, a weasel with a black-tipped tail - looks like a small albino ferret, but with black eyes, for those who've not seen a picture of a weasel)
seadog_driftwood
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shivan Bird on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm an American and support the availability of guns. While yesterday's catch-22 strip was cute, there are legitimate reasons to want a gun. A mugger isn't going to bother an old lady if she's packing heat. A burglar may think twice about entering a house if someone inside might have a shotgun. I don't own a gun or anticipate ever needing one, but I can imagine situations in which it could be conducive to my safety.
Shivan Bird
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Reuven on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Shivan Bird wrote:I'm an American and support the availability of guns. While yesterday's catch-22 strip was cute, there are legitimate reasons to want a gun. A mugger isn't going to bother an old lady if she's packing heat. A burglar may think twice about entering a house if someone inside might have a shotgun. I don't own a gun or anticipate ever needing one, but I can imagine situations in which it could be conducive to my safety.

It's a rather intresting problem we face as americans. If we have to defend ourselves in a mugging, burglary, manical feind killing all in his path -- we are dealing with a gun. Pointed at us. Only thing you can do is to have a gun to use on him.
Um, err.. yeah.
Reuven
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tom Radigan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Actually, the best recourse if you're in a dangerous situation is to try and run away. If that fails, then you fight. FYI, guns aren't as easy to use or as accurate as people think, especially with untrained thugs. Bang, bang, your target isn't necessarily even hit, let alone dead, especially in a messy situation.

And not anybody in the US can own a gun. Convicted felons cannot own them, and supposedly we're legally able to keep them out of the hands of insane people-though whatever laws existed obviously didn't work in this case. Of course there's the question of why the lunatic was allowed out in the streets to begin with.

And forget the bulletproof vest. Watch out for drunken drivers instead, as you have far more to worry about from them.
Tom Radigan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Poisoned Minds