On Visiting England

Comics, animations and games aimed at twisted people like you!

Moderator: Alan Foreman

On Visiting England

Postby Zander on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:23 am

I seem to remember a rather lengthy thread that spawned up when Al was making prepartions on his first visit stateside. Now, I'm not the author of this comic or anything, but I would like some advice for visiting England. Actually my favorite ones are stupid tourist tricks. So anyone going to bite? This forum has been kinda quiet...
Close the World-txeN eht nepO
Zander
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lilly on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:58 am

Actually, I'd be very interested in some advice for Americans visiting the UK, I'm going to be in England in a little less than two months for an extended period of time, and would like to, despite my accent, blend in a bit. Anyone got some advice?
Namaste
Lilly
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alan Foreman on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:47 pm

Say you're Canadian.
"Any sufficiently long-lived webcomic eventually starts giving its characters storylines and plots, slowly weeding out the jokes in favour of "character building", which basically means three panels of intentionally unfunny shit" - Encyclopedia Dramatica

-Al

Image Image Image Image
Alan Foreman
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lilly on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:50 pm

I was contemlating walking around speakign the little russian I know for a week jsut to confuse people.
Namaste
Lilly
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zander on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:38 am

Alan Foreman wrote:Say you're Canadian.

I was already planning on this one. Toronto is a fairly safe place to say you're from too as they really have no discernable accent or major differences in culture or geography then the states.
Close the World-txeN eht nepO
Zander
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alan Foreman on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:35 am

Also, buy a good coat. It's meant to be an evil winter this year and lately I tend to belive them! Brrr!
"Any sufficiently long-lived webcomic eventually starts giving its characters storylines and plots, slowly weeding out the jokes in favour of "character building", which basically means three panels of intentionally unfunny shit" - Encyclopedia Dramatica

-Al

Image Image Image Image
Alan Foreman
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lilly on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:04 pm

thanks for the tip! I think mine'll work, it's gotten me through a new england winter before.
Namaste
Lilly
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tom Radigan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:47 pm

Lilly wrote:I was contemlating walking around speakign the little russian I know for a week jsut to confuse people.

Don't try that in Eastern Europe or in most of the former Soviet republics. Russians are very unpopular in those parts, for obvious reasons. :shifty:
Tom Radigan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Secoh on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:46 am

Warm beer is actually good. Try as many as you can. I settled on London Pride. (it tasted ok and wasn't too exxy). Stonehenge is a total waste of time and six quid. Get to the London Eye early because every day there was 11tybillion people trying to get onto it. Minicabs are teh devil. Snakebites at Walkabout are teh devil. Getting groped by cute chicks in Walkabout is good (much better than the munters back here). Don't bother trying to bludge a beer of Al because he won't. Remember to look the other way when crossing the road; for the first time you will be on the correct side of the road! Pedestrian crossings operate in the same way that a leg of dead sheep operates in a fox trap.
If it aint broke,
Make it go faster!
Secoh
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby deathbringer on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:05 pm

Buy Viz
deathbringer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Bruce Bergman on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:50 am

Secoh wrote:Pedestrian crossings operate in the same way that a leg of dead sheep operates in a fox trap.

Oh! So that's why they paint the crosswalks as a giant zig-zag (like the cover of "Abbey Road") - that's to signify the trap jaws... :o

Looking both ways is a good habit to get into anyway. :shifty: Some drivers don't worry about little things like the rules covering which side you are supposed to drive on.

--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce Bergman
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby deathbringer on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:32 pm

And Cyclists, especially the breath-mask wearing lycra-clad "I'm saving the planet so get the fuck out of my way" ones dont let little things like red lights, one way streets or the fact that people are solid and cannot be passed through bother them either. And Cambridge has an abundance of them

"That Cycle bridge near the station, most cycle bridges in normal cities look like they cost
deathbringer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Poisoned Minds