Retro-character Development

Comics, animations and games aimed at twisted people like you!

Moderator: Alan Foreman

Retro-character Development

Postby Zander on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am

Today (12/10/2010)'s comic shows something I've always had a fascination with in story telling. In non-linear stories like SSDD, often we get glimpses of characters AFTER development happens to them, then get filled into why they are that way. Tessa's attitude now compared to when we first actually met her character, already pretty heavily involved with Sticks, is a prime example.

It is tricky to pull off well, first of all because of the difficulty already imposed on non-linear stories (checking continuity becomes more of a chore, making things fit together so when all things are said and done, it doesn't look like some one just got lazy and decided to cover their as with making shit up, then having to scramble to fit the new shit in with the old and hoping no one notices that it doesn't jive. When you have a linear story with all the events have clear cause and effect relationships, this is self correcting to a certain extent.

So far it's been pretty effective here. I'm curious now how Tessa went from being grossed out by android sex to being a regular participant.
Close the World-txeN eht nepO
Zander
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Retro-character Development

Postby Reuven on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Al's quite good with continuity, unlike some strip artists.

As far as Tessa and Sticks?
- Sticks looks like Julian.
- Sticks seems to have his brain capped at normal fur intelligence.
- Sticks is very, very good at what he does.
- Unlike most AI, Sticks isn't an ass to organics. At least, not right away.

I'd say those are some winning factors, as well as the time(s?) that he has/will put his life in danger for Tessa.

And about the cat-bot in the current strips, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be some varient of Nathan. I mean, the oracle is a varient of Chris, right?
Um, err.. yeah.
Reuven
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby deathbringer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 am

Probably BS prediction: Nathan is the cat robot, and an agent of the anarchists sent back in time, as will be revealed in the next strip whilst he sabotages Tessa's work.

Even more BS prediction: 'He' doesn't actually 'know' he is a robot and an anarchist agent!
deathbringer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby zarpaulus on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Reuven wrote:Al's quite good with continuity, unlike some strip artists.

As far as Tessa and Sticks?
- Sticks looks like Julian.
- Sticks seems to have his brain capped at normal fur intelligence.
- Sticks is very, very good at what he does.
- Unlike most AI, Sticks isn't an ass to organics. At least, not right away.

I'd say those are some winning factors, as well as the time(s?) that he has/will put his life in danger for Tessa.

And about the cat-bot in the current strips, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be some varient of Nathan. I mean, the oracle is a varient of Chris, right?

Forgot two points:
- Sticks apparently belonged to Julie Waterman.
- Tessa removed his blocks after winning him in a card game.

And what do you mean by "varient" I know that the Oracle is obsessed with Chris and took his name and appearance. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this "rockstar" droid was programmed by Nat.
zarpaulus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Skyrar on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 am

Todays strip makes me post this here.

I just love Tessa (newest-known-version). Very nice to see the characters evolving over time.
Skyrar
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Poisoned Minds