Gods Wings

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Gods Wings

Postby GahTor on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Now That is a great depiction of what looks to be a Babylonean God. Yahweh? I dunno. Where you going with this Adam? Now from what I understand the Seraphim had six wings but God/YHVH/Yahweh? Guess he could have as many as he wants and there are references to some Angels having 600+ wings (seems a bit of overkill). Hurf, I always thought that may have been a bit of allegory in that the wings may have represented powers or domains or hosts (heh platoons, divisions, armies). And yah, the Old Testament always scared the crap outta me as kid, still does in many ways, although Jesus layed that all to rest. Interesting that the OT God pretty much is on par with the Prophet Mohammed's Allah, which is in no way surprising. Also "Lord God of Hosts" is pretty well definative...not. :P
Great work Adam.
GahTor
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Gods Wings

Postby Adam Black on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 am

GahTor wrote:Now That is a great depiction of what looks to be a Babylonean God. Yahweh? I dunno. Where you going with this Adam? Now from what I understand the Seraphim had six wings but God/YHVH/Yahweh? Guess he could have as many as he wants and there are references to some Angels having 600+ wings (seems a bit of overkill). Hurf, I always thought that may have been a bit of allegory in that the wings may have represented powers or domains or hosts (heh platoons, divisions, armies).

I'll go into it more in the comic, but not for awhile. Still too much Isaac-related story to tell here. But, in the interim, remember:

1. Seraphim have six wings. There are five seraphim: Meittron, Sammael, and Sammael's three brothers.

(note that one of these three brothers--Goeldroth--is never spoken of, so technically he has only two brothers: Miichel and Gabriel)

(and I may change the spelling on Miichel and Gabriel at some point--I really don't know yet)

Each of these brothers (Sammael, Miichel and Gabriel) leads one-third of the Host. They, in turn, are commanded by Meittron, their father. Seraphim are like generals in the army, led by the commander-in-chief, Meittron.

When Sammael fell, he took his third with him. I'd go into it more, but it's an actual storyline that I'll be drawing up in the future, so I don't want to talk about it too much in a forum post--not when I can show instead of tell.

2. Cherubim have four wings. There are a number of cherubim, and they serve under the seraphim. Pazuzu is a good example. He is Sammael's chief cherubim. Cherubim are like captains in the army.

3. The rest of the angels have two wings. There are no principalities, powers, thrones, hashmallim, authorities, dominions, dominations, or any of that. Anyone with two wings is just an angel. They're just soldiers in the army, really.

There was a time when angels were only classified into two or three groups. In fact, only two or three angels are explicitly named in the Bible. Then, sometime around the Middle Ages, monks and priests got really bored and decided to start splitting them up into all sorts of weird groupings. It was kind of like fanfic written by priests or something.

St. Ambrose divided them up into nine groups. St. Jerome only had seven classifications. In the Mishne Torah, there are 10 groups. In Clementine Liturgy of the Mass, there are 11. And on and on and on.

I decided to ignore them all and go with the original ideas instead. So: Seraphim, Cherubim, Angels. And that's it.

GahTor wrote:Also "Lord God of Hosts" is pretty well definative...not. :P
Great work Adam.

The Host is the group of angels described above.

Well, except for Sammael and his group. They're The Fallen.

So you have two groups of angels: The Host and The Fallen.

There was a sweeping fad (some time after the Catholic Church was formed) to make all angel-related stuff as complicated and overwhelming as possible. I suppose they wanted to make it seem like something beyond human comprehension. They started throwing around names and huge numbers (for the time period, anyway) and then they started making up angels and assigning them to cardinal points on the compass, planets, stars, and even hours of the day. It's all just very silly when you actually sit down and look at it.

I'm sure this impressed the hell out of the average uneducated Dark Ages peasant...but for the purposes of storytelling, it's just a needless pain in the ass. So I'm going back to the original ideas as closely as I can. :wink:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 pm

The amount of thought you put into your stuff makes me feel dumb. Ok... dumber.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 am

It helps that I've been working on and thinking about this story for 15 or 20 years now. You have no idea how many times it's changed. Oh, man.

I just stripped away all the centuries of superfluous crap which was added on to the original material. There's all this stuff that we, in the modern day, take for granted as being part of the original material...and it isn't.

There are so many ideas about God and the Devil that most people think come straight from the Bible, and they don't. It's fiction, plain and simple. Epic poetry, mainly, but also fictitious treatises and musings in the form of short stories. They were the "you-can-buy-it-at-the-airport-bookstore paperback novels" of their time. In the four hundred years (or so) since their original publication, they've gone from fiction to fact...for no other reason than people like what these stories say.

Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy, for example. Or the legend of Faust (whether by Marlowe or Goethe...or the earlier Faust legends these authors cribbed from). Or even all that Middle Ages priest fan-fiction I mentioned earlier.

What's really interesting is that the same types of people (and sometimes even the same people!) who added all this fiction to Christianity also authored a great deal of material on succubi. And it was painfully obvious that these guys really wanted nothing more than to get laid. :lol:

All this comic does is strip away the "obvious" bullshit. :wink:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Don't forget your Uncle Milty! John Milton, that is. I know of people who are sure parts of Paridise Lost are actually in the Bible.

Dear old John Bunyan made some rather permanent 'add-on's,' too.
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Locus