I6:P21

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

I6:P21

Postby Kreox on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:19 am

Am I the only one shocked, that the publisher had nothing against showing God as Ultimate evil from some points of human history, but was not able to let it get published when It (assuming God has no sex in our way of understanding this word) was shown as a mere baby? :shifty:
Proud Locultist!
Kreox
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: I6:P21

Postby Morach on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 am

Not really,it happens sometimes when a particular topic shown in a comic is considered more trouble than it's worth by the publisher(I remember the comic Hellblazer having similar trouble). Same thing can happen when the publisher finds a topic particularly offensive. On a side note,I don't think Meittron is being portrayed as the ultimate evil(hampsted more like) but more like an entity that was pushed one too many times and decided to push back.
Morach
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Braidboy on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 am

Also standards are very personal. I remember Gary Larsen did a strip of ants taking a baby back to their anthill, which his editor rejected. But when he changed it to an old man the editor was fine.

That's why censorship's so silly. Wolverine can't smoke because he might influence kids... but he can chop heads off and murder like nuts.

Ah well. Viva webcomics and independence. The freedom is nothing if not refreshing.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 am

I should point out that the previous publisher was a very nice guy. I liked him a lot. Probably more than he liked me. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kreox on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:29 am

I meant the ultimate evil in connection with inquisition and WW2, both being ones of the greatest mistakes in the history (as any other unreasoned manslaughter [having any violence done between the "members" of one species considered to be unreasoned] if you want to hear my opinion).

You know... I would consider "God as a mastermind behind the monstrous killing during WW2" to be more offensive than "God shown as a baby"...

The same goes for example for allready mentioned "violence" against "drugs and sex". It is bad to show drugs or naked bodies, but it is absolutely free to show extreme violence... Where the fuck are we living?!

Since when is bad to show even a nipple but is ok to watch killing rampage and bloody streams on tv?!

I would rather have sex with my girl than go out to beat the shit out of some asshole... Maybe I am the only one...
Proud Locultist!
Kreox
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am

Ratings and censorship are ridiculous. In concept, I suppose ratings serve a purpose, but in execution, they're ridiculous, especially in the US. The film rating system here is utterly retarded. A film showing a man having sex with his girlfriend is rated X, but a film showing the same man murdering his girlfriend is PG-13. I've never been able to think that way, and don't even try anymore.

As for the publisher, the big thing we disagreed on was his business concept. This was back when everyone and their brother were making independent comics, and he told me that he wanted all the comics he published to be all-ages.

No one at that time read independent comics because they were all-ages. In fact, the whole reason to buy an independent comic was because it didn't conform to the idiotic Comics Code Authority. When people wanted to read all-ages comics, they turned to the big publishers. I was unable to convince him of this, and the publishing company folded a year or so later.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Locus