God was Hitler? Bullshit.

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

God was Hitler? Bullshit.

Postby DesertEagle on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:34 pm

I was enjoying this comic for the longest time till this crappy revelation started to crop up.

I had nothing against the comic before but this is really a cheap shot here. Yes, I know the comic contains a lot nudity, violence, etc. but saying 'God was Hitler' is stupid. And I am not necessarily opposed to the notion 'God was evil' either but this is really a low blow and a cheap shot.

Now I do not care what the author believes in but throwing in these kinds of sentiments really makes the comic stupid for me. So I am suppose to accept that the Christian God is really a petty misanthrope leading everyone to kill and betray him? How is this suppose to make sense when the word of God preaches about good things? Yes, site hypocrisy and bring up 'the bible can be used as justification for anything' and all that jazz; but the stupidity here comes in when you say that Christianity is the root of all evil in the western world and God is behind it.

The author apparently expects us to buy this from the Devil, the prince of darkness, father of lies, of all people. This can only mean two things. Either the devil is lying or the comic just sucks. The devil is not a figure representing 'freedom'; he is the figure of evil whether he be from the bible, folklore, and most of human literature. Making him a good guy without explanation is just stupid. As is making God Hitler.

This would be like two people arguing over the benevolence of Hitler and the maltheist declaring 'Oh ya? Well God was really Hitler!'. Does this remind you of anything?

So I am going to leave this off with a bit of constructive criticism of the author: Stop being preachy or coming off as preachy. Nobody reads Locus for your (apparent) views on Christianity. We read it because of the action, horror, cleavage, and maybe for the story. Throwing in blunt anti-Christian themes is deterring this.
DesertEagle
Junior Keenspotter

Re: God was Hitler? Bullshit.

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 am

I need to start this off with some cut & paste action from the commentary under Monday's page:

"If you've read this page and come to the conclusion that I'm saying something about your race, your religion, or your country...well, you've come to the wrong conclusion."

DesertEagle wrote:How is this suppose to make sense when the word of God preaches about good things?

Panel 1 from today's page should answer that question, and, hopefully, raise another question: "Why?" Why would The Host do such a thing? I'll be answering that pretty soon.

DesertEagle wrote:The author apparently expects us to buy this from the Devil, the prince of darkness, father of lies, of all people.

Actually, I was hoping someone would come along and say this. Should Isaac believe anything that comes out of the Devil's mouth? He is the Devil, after all.

Then again, the Devil saved Spook and Locus in issue three. It does put us in a bit of a quandary, doesn't it?

DesertEagle wrote:...the stupidity here comes in when you say that Christianity is the root of all evil in the western world and God is behind it.

I don't recall ever saying that. Doesn't mean I didn't; it just means I don't remember doing it. Point that out for me, and I'll respond accordingly.

DesertEagle wrote:The devil is not a figure representing 'freedom'; he is the figure of evil whether he be from the bible, folklore, and most of human literature.

I'm not sure the first half of that is entirely true. I've read a fair amount of literature which paints the Devil as the first being to use free will (or an approximation of free will) to plot the course of his life.

Lord Byron's "Cain: A Mystery" is an excellent read on this subject. It also explores some interesting points in regards to Adam, Eve, and their family.

As for the "figure of evil" part, keep in mind that the victors write the history.

DesertEagle wrote:This would be like two people arguing over the benevolence of Hitler and the maltheist declaring 'Oh ya? Well God was really Hitler!'.

That wasn't my intention at all. I don't consider Hitler benevolent in any way.

DesertEagle wrote:So I am going to leave this off with a bit of constructive criticism of the author: Stop being preachy or coming off as preachy. Nobody reads Locus for your (apparent) views on Christianity. We read it because of the action, horror, cleavage, and maybe for the story. Throwing in blunt anti-Christian themes is deterring this.

That wasn't very constructive, as criticism goes. It was more along the lines of a kneejerk backlash because you thought I said something about your religion that I didn't. In fact, your entire post is colored by this anger:

"crappy revelation", "cheap shot", "stupid", "a low blow and a cheap shot", "throwing in these kinds of sentiments really makes the comic stupid for me", "the stupidity here", "the comic just sucks", "just stupid".

You're obviously angry, and you shouldn't be. I grew up reading the Bible. Read it cover to cover three times by the time I was 20. I moved on to the Apocryphal books after that--the Gospel of Judas (not that Judas!), the Gospel of Thomas, blah blah blah.

After that, I dug around in the mythologies surrounding Osiris, Dionysus, Krishna (a little--I still haven't come close to finishing the Vedas), and other, similar figures. Read the Divine Comedy and similar literature.

My favorite part of all this was noticing the gaps. There are some interesting stories that are started in the Old Testament, but never finished. For example: there was one tribe of men whom God had commanded to watch over a certain area of land, which had been previously inhabited by a race of giants or something.

(I just woke up and can't find my notes on this, so I'm gonna ad lib the shit out of this)

This group of people (I wanna say their name started with an "A", but that might be wrong) are only referred to twice in the Old Testament. The first time we hear of them, God is telling them, "go be stewards of this region over here. Oh, and by the way, some really terrible giant motherfuckers used to live there."

Two or three chapters go by, and we don't hear anything about them. Then another chapter starts up, and all the tribes are coming together for one reason or another. This tribe shows up, and the rest of the tribes are scared shitless by them.

Now these are the Old Testament tribes of Jews, at a time when they were tearing ass all over the holy land like a giant biker gang. Toppling the walls of cities and reducing entire civilizations to smoldering ash. These guys are complete badasses--and they're scared to death when this group shows up.

Why?

The Old Testament never says. And I love that. The Bible is full of half-finished stories like that, and every one of them gets my brain a-whirlin'.

So don't let it bug you that Meittron reincarnated as Hitler. I'm just playing a big game of "What if?" here.

As for my personal beliefs--everything I say in this comic will have to do with humanity, not necessarily religion. Religious debate bores the hell out of me--it leads nowhere. If you would've caught me in my 20s, we could've had a lively debate, but I just don't care for that sort of thing anymore.

I am, however, fascinated by the human condition. Why do we kill each other? Why do we sell our children into slavery? Why did the Old Testament tribes find it okay to bash babies' heads against rocks? Wasn't burning the city to the ground enough?

Why do we do these things to each other? Rainbow hinted at it in issue four; I'll be going into it more as the story progresses.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hambone on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 am

Wow. Just... wow.

What is really amusing is that your post was expected and quoted before you ever joined the the board and wrote it. Nevertheless, you exceeded my own expectations spectacularly!

Damn, we should have had a pool going in the forums....

On to my response:

Take your blinders off for a just a moment and consider the source of these "revelations".

DesertEagle wrote:So I am suppose to accept that the Christian God is really a petty misanthrope leading everyone to kill and betray him?

Are you? I think that is one of the questions that the author has led you to ask yourself.

DesertEagle wrote:How is this suppose to make sense when the word of God preaches about good things?

..exactly. Interesting, isn't it?
Additionally, is that all that the word of God "preaches" about? (show your work)

DesertEagle wrote:[...]but the stupidity here comes in when you say that Christianity is the root of all evil in the western world and God is behind it.

Adam never said this... This is indeed the picture that Sammael, the Father of Lies, is painting for us.
You might as well exclaim "[...]but the stupidity here comes in when you say that the apple contains knowledge that God didn't want Adam to have" See what I did there?

DesertEagle wrote:I was enjoying this comic for the longest time till this crappy revelation started to crop up.

DesertEagle wrote:Either the devil is lying or the comic just sucks.

So, you were enjoying the comic until you disagreed with Sammael? Doesn't that implicitly... never mind.

DesertEagle wrote:So I am going to leave this off with a bit of constructive criticism of the author [...]

No, you are not. You are going to "leave this off" by summing up all of your whining and bitching; there was nothing constructive, critical, or even well thought out in your post.

Here is what constructive criticism looks like: Engage in a little critical thinking and strap your knee to your chair to stop all that jerking, DesertEagle. People love to claim that they are a "critical thinker", but critical thinking requires that we constantly challenge our own ideas and "truths"; did you, even for a moment, ask yourself "Why does this upset me? Is there something more going on here?"

But hey, way to quote Godwin's law big guy! Unfortunately it isn't applicable in this context, but good show anyway!

-Hambone
Hambone
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 am

Hambone wrote:ask yourself "Why does this upset me? Is there something more going on here?"

Nailed it. :rootbeer:

That's Hambone, ladies and gentlemen! My best friend and creator of Moondoggie. Everyone should have a friend like Hambone. :D

As for Godwin's Law--I have yet to see someone bring that up in a conversation where it's actually warranted. Godwin's Law is kind of like that, though. It seems to lend itself to misuse.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby OmnipotentEntity on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:57 am

I've always believed that Godwin's Law only applies if everyone in the discussion is ignorant of Godwin's Law.
OmnipotentEntity
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27 am

I'm not going to argue with an obvious Omnipotent Entity. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DesertEagle on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Okay, I finished reading both of your rebuttals I have to admit I was having knee-jerk reaction.

It is not so much that I'm offended as a religious person (truth be told most times I am rather secular) that I am upset with a few recent comics but the sudden direction of where the comic is going did jar me. Also when it comes to fantasy; I don't believe in taking mythology and making whatever you want of it without research - but here it seems you have done the research and are basically trying to more or less stay true to the source so I cannot fault you for that. I was also initially left with the impression that you were simply making Christianity the subject of ridicule or shame because it urks you and I cannot enjoy something with those sentiments (which is a reason I have stopped reading a lot of other webcomics) but as you say you're simply doing it for the sake of the story which is fine.

I would go on to say that the only problem was the jarring change in mythological explanations but now that I think about it any way you would present this would have to come off as jarring. So with that I apologize with my initial sentiments of this thread and say keep up the good work and I'll still keep Locus as one of my frequently checked webcomics.
Last edited by DesertEagle on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertEagle
Junior Keenspotter

Postby BigJimLauver on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I seriously wanted to register cause of this topic to say:

Holy Shit, it's Hambone.
BigJimLauver
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:05 pm

DesertEagle wrote:It is not so much that I'm offended as a religious person (truth be told most times I am rather secular) that I am upset with a few recent comics but the sudden direction of where the comic is going did jar me.

That was a bit jarring, wasn't it? There were probably a dozen ways I could've introduced that better. However, "Unveiled' is already six issues long, which is a whole year of updates. In order to keep it from being any longer, I had to cut some corners.

DesertEagle wrote:but here it seems you have done the research and are basically trying to more or less stay true to the source

Doing my best! :D The problem nowadays with keeping close to the source material (this source material in particular) is that fewer people seem to have actually read up on it all. I'm no religious scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like no one's studying this stuff anymore. It's kinda weird.

DesertEagle wrote: I was also left with the impression that you were simply making Christianity the subject of ridicule or shame because it urks you and I cannot enjoy something with those sentiments (which is a reason I have stopped reading a lot of other webcomics) but as you say you're simply doing it for the sake of the story which is fine.

I'm not going to single out anyone's religion, nation or ethnicity in this series. I will, however, be saying a lot of things (many of them unpleasant) regarding the human race in general. Because we're a fucking mess, man. Jesus.

DesertEagle wrote:I would go on to say that the only problem was the jarring change in mythological explanations but now that I think about it any way you would present this would have to come off as jarring.

I'm going to try and keep that to a minimum, but we are looking at a whole new world through Isaac's eyes, and many of these things are going to slap him across the face, because I like to abuse my characters. Hell, I murdered Spook and Locus by the end of issue two! My wife said, "Your fans are going to hate you now! What are you thinking?" :lol:

Keep an eye on Isaac throughout this series--oftentimes, he'll be the one asking the questions the readers are wondering about.

DesertEagle wrote:So with that I apologize with my initial sentiments of this thread and say keep up the good work and I'll still keep Locus as one of my frequently checked webcomics.

No worries, man! We're all friends here. :D

It wasn't my intention to upset you or anyone, but I will in the future be exploring subject matter that others either ignore completely, or get utterly flippant and insulting about--like those other comics you mentioned earlier.

It's my opinion that there are better ways to explore this stuff other than those two methods. And that's what I'll be doing. Hang around! I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. :D

Also:

BigJimLauver wrote:Holy Shit, it's Hambone.

Hell yeah, it is! He lurks here a lot.

He's in issue three, you know. I snuck the two of us into the lobby scene. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigJimLauver on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:38 am

Adam Black wrote:Hell yeah, it is! He lurks here a lot.

He's in issue three, you know. I snuck the two of us into the lobby scene. :D

Being gawking security guards and the -only people in the lobby- isn't really sneaking.
BigJimLauver
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 am

For us it is. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:59 am

Adam Black wrote: I'm no religious scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like no one's studying this stuff anymore. It's kinda weird.
[/quote]
I've noticed that myself. When I was in my twenties, I got my first look at how freaking convoluted biblical texts are, and how piece-meal the whole thing is. The books of the Bible have been edited over and over again, and yet I grew up in a church (the one you mentioned in another thread, Adam) that swore that the Bible was the incarnate word of God, blazing straight from his will through the writer's arm. What makes this a real scream was that many, many people at the time in that church used and quoted from that green psuedoleather-bound "Living Bible", Kenneth N. Taylor's paraphrase of the Bible that has 'paraphrase' written in big letters on the cover. And they quoted from it like it was source material.

Nowadays, it's even sadder. All too many Christians (too many whom I know of) don't really bother to even read the Bible (they are more likely to read 'at' it, if you understand me), much less think about how it came to be. Instead, they listen to preachers and religious pundits and carp their opinions. And many of these folks, no offense to Catholics, are supposed to be Protestants—every person his own clergy and all that. The truth is, I suspect that very few people want to do this sort of 'heavy lifting.' It's much easier to let someone they respect, for whatever reason, do it for them.
Last edited by raoullefere on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:20 am

I have a number of bibles in my collection, but not the Living Bible. I really need to pick that up at some point.

One of my favorite bibles is the New World Translation made by the Jehovah's Witnesses, simply because it's cross-referenced like a motherfucker. There's this whole middle column on every page that is constantly relating one verse to another. It's amazing. It's a little like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, actually. You follow the page numbers and sometimes you have no idea where you'll end up! It's fun.

And they're easy to acquire, too! The next time a JW knocks on your door, ask them for a bible. On the rare occasion they don't give it to you for free, you'll spend no more than five or six bucks. It's worth it, too. Even if you don't agree with the translation, the cross-referencing is spot-on.

My son and I were talking about these things this morning, and I had to explain to him why some people believe the things they do. It's because of what they're told the bible says, rather than what it actually says. The Rapture, for example, or the War in Heaven.

Neither of these things are at all written in the bible the way people think they are. It's amazing how much of the modern Christian religion comes from the fiction of Dante and Milton, the musings of Dark Ages monks, and the inventions of certain early American traveling preachers, rather than from the text of the bible itself.

For the record: everything I do in this comic regarding Judeo-Christianity is going to come straight from (and solely from) the Old and New Testaments. I'll be using the KJV and NIV translations mostly, as they seem to be the most-accepted versions. I may use as inspiration a couple things from the apocryphal books, but I'm gonna try like hell to keep that to a minimum. (it tickles my funny bone that the Bible was written by God, but edited by a committee) :wink:

As such, there will be no seven, nine or eleven hierarchies of angels, nor will there be seven heavens or nine hells. "How art thou fallen, O Lucifer, son of the morning" will be interpreted as it was written (and in reference to whom it was actually written about), rather than what it's come to mean over the last few centuries.

That sort of thing.

Like I said earlier (here or in another thread--I don't recall): I'm going to be digging around in those odd little holes in the bible's narrative, just to see what comes up. It's just a big game of "What If". :)

In fact, most everything and everyone in the Locus Mythos (or whatever you want to call it--"Locus Mythos" sounds goofy to me) came from me reading the bible cover to cover three times over the course of six years, and taking notes as to what it actually says as opposed to what people tell each other it says. So, if anyone reading this is upset by the last half of issue 6, now's the time to jump ship! :wink:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Credicthus on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 am

Howdy!

I enjoy studying the bible, so this thread grabbed my interest, especially the bit about Adam using it for his source material.
I got interested in the tribe you mentioned, and all I could find with a quick search was about Manasseh inhabiting a land of giants. The giant themselves were sometimes known as Anakims, but they weren't a part of Israel.

"And the rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og, gave I unto the half tribe of Manasseh; all the region of Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants."
(Deuteronomy 3:13)

The only tribe I know of that started with an A was Asher, but I don't find anything regarding them and giants, or any remarks of their prowess in battle.

And now I'm just being ornery, but Sammael as a name isn't found in the bible, at least the Bible in terms of the 66 books in the modern KJV, nor is it in the original Hebrew manuscripts, at least as my limited ability with Hebrew allowed me to look.

Oh yeah, you can also find good cross-referenced bibles in other verses besides the JW's New World Translation. I had a good KJV version, and I know a newer version, the English Standard Version, has bible's available with a good cross reference in them.

Now I'm not trying to argue, and you could prolly guess I 'd disagree with your own personal beliefs, but I really do enjoy discussing the Bible, so that's why I posted, and I'll try and quote and reference to show where I'm getting my thoughts.

Cheers!
Credicthus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 am

Credicthus wrote:Howdy!

I enjoy studying the bible, so this thread grabbed my interest, especially the bit about Adam using it for his source material.
I got interested in the tribe you mentioned, and all I could find with a quick search was about Manasseh inhabiting a land of giants. The giant themselves were sometimes known as Anakims, but they weren't a part of Israel.

"And the rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og, gave I unto the half tribe of Manasseh; all the region of Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants."
(Deuteronomy 3:13)

That might be it, actually. It's been awhile. I really need to find my notes, but that won't be for another week or three yet. I clean my studio before each new issue begins, because it's usually a complete mess by the time I'm done with the previous issue. :lol:

Hopefully my notes will magically turn up then!

Credicthus wrote:And now I'm just being ornery, but Sammael as a name isn't found in the bible, at least the Bible in terms of the 66 books in the modern KJV, nor is it in the original Hebrew manuscripts, at least as my limited ability with Hebrew allowed me to look.

True, but I'm not using the same devil which appears in the Bible--and I probably should.

If I did, though, he'd be such a 2-dimensional cardboard cutout that he wouldn't be interesting at all.

Not to mention all the verses which are commonly believed as describing (or otherwise applied) to the Devil...which actually aren't. It's a fuzzy subject, really.

Sammael is a weird blend of old pagan nemeses, the common Christian beliefs regarding the Devil, and a little bit of Iblis from the Koran thrown in there just for fun--as Monday's page shows.

So yeah, I'm already breaking my own rules here. :lol:

Credicthus wrote:Oh yeah, you can also find good cross-referenced bibles in other verses besides the JW's New World Translation. I had a good KJV version, and I know a newer version, the English Standard Version, has bible's available with a good cross reference in them.

I will definitely have to look those up at some point! Thanks, man.

Credicthus wrote:Now I'm not trying to argue, and you could prolly guess I 'd disagree with your own personal beliefs, but I really do enjoy discussing the Bible, so that's why I posted, and I'll try and quote and reference to show where I'm getting my thoughts.

Cheers!

That sort of thing is always welcome here, man. No worries.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GahTor on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 pm

K' I'm a pretty hardcore Christian and have been following Locus with rapt enjoyment (it being in my top 5 webcomics). That said I have a couple of observations.
1. This is a graphic story (not really a comic). It is what it is, a work fiction (a pretty good one) and the author makes no pretentions that it is anything else. Now, if Adam gets up on a soap box and proclaims that Locus is gospel and the way it is, that would be something different. And I'd laugh myself silly.
2. As has already been pointed out and what every Christian knows, the devil/Satan/Mephistopholes/the Fallen One ect. is the father of lies. Papa Isaac being raised as a good catholic knows this too, note the sideways glance in the last panel of the last page.
3. I don't think Adam is doing anything evil or subversive here. If you are the sort to BELIEVE this type story or think it has any basis in reality, then I feel sorry for you and think you need to seek the help of a good shrink. In any case God will judge. Hey I'm gonna be there on J-Day and hope to sit in on the verdict of many of history's villians. Don't quite think Adam makes the grade. And on THAT note...
4. Hitler was a piker at 6-8 mil. Uncle Joe Stalin did about 40 million of his own people and Mao around 70 million. Matter of fact China is still racking up the count but it's kinda hard to get any kind of accurate numbers out that part of the world now. Ghengis Khan, Atilla, Pol Pot, the Ills of N.Korea, Alexander, Idi Amin Dada and the list goes on .... :grumble:
GahTor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 am

GahTor wrote:K' I'm a pretty hardcore Christian and have been following Locus with rapt enjoyment (it being in my top 5 webcomics). That said I have a couple of observations.

Top five? Thanks!

GahTor wrote:1. This is a graphic story (not really a comic). It is what it is, a work fiction (a pretty good one) and the author makes no pretentions that it is anything else. Now, if Adam gets up on a soap box and proclaims that Locus is gospel and the way it is, that would be something different. And I'd laugh myself silly.

If that ever happens, you guys feel free to lock me up in the nearest rubber room.

GahTor wrote:2. As has already been pointed out and what every Christian knows, the devil/Satan/Mephistopholes/the Fallen One ect. is the father of lies. Papa Isaac being raised as a good catholic knows this too, note the sideways glance in the last panel of the last page.

He definitely has his doubts! Those two will end up developing a very odd and unsettling relationship. The Devil was, after all, working with Isaac even after he died--as Issue Two suggests.

GahTor wrote:3. I don't think Adam is doing anything evil or subversive here. If you are the sort to BELIEVE this type story or think it has any basis in reality, then I feel sorry for you and think you need to seek the help of a good shrink. In any case God will judge. Hey I'm gonna be there on J-Day and hope to sit in on the verdict of many of history's villians. Don't quite think Adam makes the grade. And on THAT note...

There are a lot of places I don't make the grade. Writing and drawing, for example. :lol:

As such, you're right. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here. I just thought it would be an interesting world for Isaac and Locus to live in. I like my horror unsettling and uncomfortable (which is why The Changeling is one of my favorite horror films), and what could be more unsettling and uncomfortable than finding out God isn't who you thought he was?

The last couple pages might also indicate that I read too much Lovecraft. :wink:

GahTor wrote:4. Hitler was a piker at 6-8 mil. Uncle Joe Stalin did about 40 million of his own people and Mao around 70 million. Matter of fact China is still racking up the count but it's kinda hard to get any kind of accurate numbers out that part of the world now. Ghengis Khan, Atilla, Pol Pot, the Ills of N.Korea, Alexander, Idi Amin Dada and the list goes on .... :grumble:

True. I did pick some pretty low-hanging fruit here. :wink:

Unrelated: An old friend of mine from college had a mother-in-law (she's deceased now) who claimed to have played Dungeons & Dragons with Idi Amin at one point. It's a VERY LONG story (as such a story would be), involving the time she spent with her husband and kids while he was gallivanting around the world as an Air Force contractor.

She was full of wild stories...

...but was able to back each and every one of them up with facts, as well as first-hand testimony from her husband and two kids. It was surreal.

Oh, the stories this woman told. The moon lander, Mohammed Ali, the time she died...they were incredible. I'm not saying they were true, but they sure were well thought-out and fun to listen to.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GahTor on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:21 pm

There are a lot of places I don't make the grade. Writing and drawing, for example.

Just cruisin' through, saw your reply and noted that I may have been misconstrued as to what I had posted. When I said you don't quite make the grade I meant as far as being a really EVIL person bent on mass murder and the subversion of mankind, per the examples I listed, and thereby bound for hell.
On the writing and drawing comment, feh' don't sell yourself short, there's a reason you're in my top 5. On the other hand, keep on striving for perfection (you won't get there but the ride is fun and rewarding) and don't become complacent. You've got a real talent, continue to develop it. I will say that the old 'devil was Hitler' has been sooo overdone time and again. Your "God was Hitler" was a fresh take and I don't recall ever seeing it before though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had come up with the idea. In any case I thought it was an original concept which doubtless shocked some of my Christian brethren silly. I, however, have it on high authority, and my own personal belief, that God has an great sense of humor. Among my favorite works of religious art are those of Jesus laughing.
"The one whose throne is in heaven sits laughing." psalms 2:4 :lol:
GahTor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 am

I understood what you meant. I just never pass up an opportunity for some self-deprecating humor. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DesertEagle on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Some things I have thought up about on this take on God in the comic.

The Bible says Jesus crucified himself on the cross to repent for the sins of man; but in your comic Jesus was a reincarnation of God (as opposed to his son and the second person) and, as you say in your notes, got royally pissed at humanity. So can we conclude the Bible and/or the New Testament did not play out as it was written? This does actually make sense since the Bible is said to have been written under the influence of God and if he has a very dark agenda than he would use the Bible to device.

Also considering Hitler was another incarnation of God; why as Hitler did he cause the Holocaust? Certain Holocaust victims would make sense but killing off the Jews does not since they were following his religion albeit an outdated one. I can think of a number of reasons for this but I am interested in your take on it.
DesertEagle
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Welcome back, dude! I was hoping you'd stop by again.

I fucked up on page 17, I think. I put more emphasis on the Jews than I actually meant to. God's Chosen People are actually the golden-colored people he created and put in the Garden of Eden. Once they were cast out, they started interbreeding with the people who were already here.

(I'll be going into that once issue 7 gets rolling)

It started with Cain, who (you'll remember from the Old Testament) left his family and took a wife. That wife was one of the humans who were already on Earth when Adam and Eve were created, and Cain's child by that wife was the first half-breed human. Half created by Meittron, and half created by...well, Rainbow hints at it waaay back in issue four, but issue seven is where I explain some of that.

By the time of Moses, most of Meittron's Chosen are Jews, but there are still a bunch of Chosen who are Egyptian, Assyrian...they're spreading out by that time, and they spread out more, through intermarriage. Because, to human eyes, you can't really tell who's Chosen and who isn't just by looking at them. It's all on the inside, not the outside.

By the time of Jesus, Meittron's Chosen are Romans, Jews, Ethiopians...they're pretty much everywhere. The establishment of the Roman Empire helps their migration quite a bit. The Jews didn't crucify Jesus, after all. It was the Romans.

They spread out even more once Catholicism and Islam start spreading. By the 20th century, you honestly can't tell the difference between Meittron's Chosen and everyday schmucks anymore. It's entirely possible that we're all carrying a bit of that blood to one extent or another.

Certain things like the Inquisition and the Holocaust look to our human eyes as if they were created to persecute Jews, but those who know that there are two (not one) creation stories for Mankind (Indigeni) knew right away that something else was going on.

I'm pretty much giving you a synopsis of issue seven here, and I probably shouldn't do that. But I've never been a very good writer. :lol:

As for the Crucifixion and the Bible...

Jesus was just Meittron reincarnating again, trying to lead people to a better way of life. No one wanted to hear that message, so they nailed him up. That's what really made him angry.

As for the Bible...it's divinely inspired, but not by God. I'll be going into that in the future. Hint: It's a couple of characters I haven't introduced yet.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Locus