Page 1 of 2

Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:11 pm
by SuedodeuS
So, Isaac's in love with Eden, even if he doesn't quite realize it yet. She is currently in the Realms of the Dead, where the living apparently cannot enter (at least, not without the help of a powerful necromancer). There she's going to give birth to Locus, for whatever dastardly scheme Hamstead has concocted for resurrecting Xel'Duum. Right?

One little hitch in his plan. Isaac is badass. Brass balls and all that. Oh, and apparently Sammael has taken a liking to Isaac, in no small part out of respect for his father. His father who had a rather interesting habit of being perpetually unable to stay dead. Anybody see where I'm going with this?

Simply put, Isaac dies. He lets Spook or Silk or Moondoggie off him, probably in some sort of ritual that either makes him metaphysically a badass in the realm of the dead (so the nephilim doesn't half-kill him by looking at him funny again), or maybe even something that lets them tag along. He gets in, grabs Eden, and flips death the bird.

I'm not conceited enough to ask Adam how close (or, rather, how far in left field) I am. Just thought I'd join and share this little theory of mine. Great work Mr. Black!

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 am
by Adam Black
A very interesting theory, and awesome first post. :D

All will become clear, starting on Monday. For what it's worth: your theory's half-right. The half where it isn't right is where some very strange things are going to happen--see the issue six cover for what I mean. :wink:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 am
by SuedodeuS
Well, if Isaac is indeed going to pull an Orpheus, I suspect by the way things have gone so far the Maenads won't be trying to kill him... but they will try to jump him, if you know what I mean.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 am
by Adam Black
Hopefully, Hampstead has run out of girl monsters to send after Isaac.

I'm just worried that the Nefilim (ahem) swings both ways.... :D

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:57 pm
by SuedodeuS
Yeah, that's what I want to think about just before I turn in for the night.
*shudder*

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:40 am
by Kreox
Adam Black wrote:Hampstead has run out of girl monsters to send after Isaac.


You just ruined whole story for me! :evil:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:31 am
by Adam Black
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did say "hopefully"....

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:22 am
by SuedodeuS
So, the deal with Sammael didn't quite work out. Of course, although old Sammy can't directly take Isaac &c to the temple, I suspect he has enough knowledge to guide them on how to get there themselves (I'm still voting for the "flip death the bird" route).

As an aside, anyone else notice that nifty scar? I wonder if Sammael uses a typical angelic sword, or if his is special. It's no Unaph'to Xel'Duum, of course, but "Unaph'to Lucifer" (no idea how to say light-bringer in Ancient... or even if he tends to be particularly wrathful while using it) might have some hidden surprises.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm
by tensix
Well, if nothing else, it's special in that he apparently wields it left-handedly. For some reason, this makes me disproportionately happy.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:23 am
by Adam Black
All angels are left-handed, Fallen or otherwise. Just so you know. :wink:

As for Sammael's sword--we'll see it at some point, but I'm not sure when, exactly. It is indeed special, but it doesn't have a name.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:27 pm
by OmnipotentEntity
This post plus

Adam Black wrote:All angels are left-handed, Fallen or otherwise. Just so you know. :wink:

As for Sammael's sword--we'll see it at some point, but I'm not sure when, exactly. It is indeed special, but it doesn't have a name.


Plus this post

Adam Black wrote:That is indeed a different sword. As Karrak told the Vamphyr, only angels use those swords anymore, which means Silk has a little secret.


Multiplied by the comic means that Silk isn't somehow an Angel in disguise, I wonder what the secret is... hmm...

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 am
by tensix
OmnipotentEntity wrote:This post plus

Adam Black wrote:All angels are left-handed, Fallen or otherwise. Just so you know. :wink:

As for Sammael's sword--we'll see it at some point, but I'm not sure when, exactly. It is indeed special, but it doesn't have a name.


Plus this post

Adam Black wrote:That is indeed a different sword. As Karrak told the Vamphyr, only angels use those swords anymore, which means Silk has a little secret.


Multiplied by the comic means that Silk isn't somehow an Angel in disguise, I wonder what the secret is... hmm...


Hm. Looking back, this gets even curiouser. Silk, we've established, has an angel sword but is right-handed and obviously not an angel anyway, at least not completely; a conundrum in itself. Eden, however, could possibly be left handed, though that may or may not be significant. We do see both her palms once, and it doesn't look like there's a sword in there.

Now, I may be wrong about both of those assertions. On the second page I linked, she doesn't seem to favour either hand. And here, it looks suspiciously as though she's holding the needle in her right hand, not her left. There's also never really a completely unobstructed shot of her left palm that I found; the best one I could find still had that needle in the way. It looks compelling enough, but... I'm not going to be surprised if I'm wrong either.

Thinking further on it, I'm not actually sure whether the implications would be stranger if Eden did or didn't have one of those swords. Either way, something bizarre has happened; bizarre even on the scale of a world where spiders turn into naked ladies intent on crossbreeding with humans, and invisible guys ride around on badass motorcycles then eat those spiders.

(As a slightly related aside, I completely missed seeing the scar on Sammael's hand wayyyyyyy back here until just now. I wonder what all else I've not seen. Go go rereading the entire archive later!)

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 am
by Adam Black
That's not the first time I've shown Sammael's scar, to be honest. You'd have to go back to issue four to see that, although it's not very obvious because I'm a terrible artist. :lol:

Eden is, technically, right-handed, as shown by the fact that she wears her watch on her left wrist. She is fairly ambidextrous, though, as are all Succubi. Locus tends to show some ambidexterity but ultimately favors her right hand.

This is all my fault. I'm ambidextrous, but favor my right hand. I write/draw what I know. :D

Silk's secret isn't a huge secret, but it's an important one in that it will show us where Locus learned fighting and swordplay. All the acrobatics she did in issue one is a result of Silk's training. But where did Silk learn all this? That's the secret. I'll be telling that story later--probably quite a bit later...around issue 10 or 11 or so.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 am
by SuedodeuS
Adam Black wrote:Silk's secret isn't a huge secret, but it's an important one in that it will show us where Locus learned fighting and swordplay. All the acrobatics she did in issue one is a result of Silk's training. But where did Silk learn all this? That's the secret. I'll be telling that story later--probably quite a bit later...around issue 10 or 11 or so.


I could've sworn Karrak mentioned that she was trained in the ways of some group or another, but looking through the archives I can only find him mentioning that she was trained from childhood by the "Ca'cubi," which I figure is the name for the race consisting of succubi and incubi. That's probably where she gets her habit of fighting half-naked from. Sounds like Silk probably learned from angels or their fallen equivalent at some point, and incorporated the half-naked bit from traditional succubus fighting styles (as this allowed her to make use of her other two weapons).

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:37 am
by Adam Black
That's pretty much it, actually.

Ca'Cubi is what Incubi and Succubi are called as a whole. It's probably where "cacodemon" came from. Probably. :wink:

As for Locus: her succubus half abhors shirts, because every fiber in her being tells her that shirts get in the way of wings. Even though she doesn't have wings, the instinct is still there.

It's why she wears those boots, too. They're very over the top, but that's as close as she'll come to walking around on hooves instead of feet. I suppose her hairdo kinda-sorta makes up for the fact that she doesn't have horns. Or she just might be kind of weird. :lol:

With Silk, though...it's not a big, earth-shattering surprise or anything. I'm worried now that all this build-up is just going to make everyone disappointed once I reveal what it's all about. Let's just say for now that she learned from the best. :wink:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 am
by Kreox
Adam Black wrote:With Silk, though...it's not a big, earth-shattering surprise or anything. I'm worried now that all this build-up is just going to make everyone disappointed once I reveal what it's all about. Let's just say for now that she learned from the best. :wink:


I smell some hardcore private action with Spook... :evilgrin:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 am
by Adam Black
I've got a plot outline for a spinoff comic called "Silk and Honey", which is a Wild West tale on how Silk and Spook met. I still haven't written an actual script yet--been too busy lately.

But I think you guys will dig the hell out of it. I grew up on monster movies and spaghetti westerns, and Silk and Honey is equal amounts of both.

As for Silk's secret, I hinted at it in her Character Bio over on the new site--the one Locus is moving over to at the end of October. :wink:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 pm
by BigJimLauver
I have a strong inkling that Isaac is going to get a bit more badass this Friday. He's seen a real angel. A real demon of an angel, if you will, and there's warm colours.

I think that Isaac's eyes are about to burst into flame in one horrific accident, like the cover.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:59 am
by Adam Black
I hope you're right! Well, about the badass thing, anyway.

Keep in mind that Isaac's been out of his coma all of what? 12 hours now? Can't be much more than that, really.

I think he's been doing pretty well, all things considered. But there's so much more in store for him!

The Realms of the Dead? The Temple of the Life-Drinker? It's too much for one man!!!

Who writes this shit? :wink:

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 am
by tensix
BigJimLauver wrote:I think that Isaac's eyes are about to burst into flame in one horrific accident, like the cover.


I'm guessing the eye-burneys are going to happen when Isaac finally does find Meittron. I recall there are some pretty specific Biblical restrictions about humans looking at God (ie: Never do it ever for any reason.), though it's been a bit too long since last I read it to remember the exact language used, or where the devil it's even mentioned. Same reason you bow your head in prayer; the idea is that if you look up, God'll be there and you'll see him in all his majesty, and that'd be immensely bad for you. I can certainly imagine one's eyes bursting into flames as a plausible consequence.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:08 am
by SuedodeuS
tensix wrote:
BigJimLauver wrote:I think that Isaac's eyes are about to burst into flame in one horrific accident, like the cover.


I'm guessing the eye-burneys are going to happen when Isaac finally does find Meittron. I recall there are some pretty specific Biblical restrictions about humans looking at God (ie: Never do it ever for any reason.), though it's been a bit too long since last I read it to remember the exact language used, or where the devil it's even mentioned. Same reason you bow your head in prayer; the idea is that if you look up, God'll be there and you'll see him in all his majesty, and that'd be immensely bad for you. I can certainly imagine one's eyes bursting into flames as a plausible consequence.


I think those might have been later concepts (or in some of the Jewish texts not included in the Old Testament), rather than in the Bible itself, but I could be mistaken. Even so, if we're going with Meittron being somewhat deceptive (Sammael: "The host have spent aeons coaching you in religious dogma and mindless ritual... it keeps you under control and ignorant of the truth."), the concept of looking at God resulting in Bad Things may just be a defense to prevent people from looking at Meittron... and for others to disbelieve those who claim to have done so. Judging by Sammael's warning and Isaac's response, Meittron's appearance isn't majestic... it's horrifying.

EDIT: Of course, I'd say there are some serious eye-burning action in the future. At first I was thinking the cover might be symbolic but those scars must have come from somewhere.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 pm
by Adam Black
There is nothing symbolic about the cover. Just so you guys know. :D

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:44 pm
by Hambone
Isaac, don't look at it. Shut your eyes, Isaac. Don't look at it, no matter what happens!

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 pm
by Adam Black
What did I tell you about shouting at comic books and movie screens, dammit?

THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Re: Just how badass is Isaac?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:25 pm
by Primitive Screwhead
Hambone wrote:Isaac, don't look at it. Shut your eyes, Isaac. Don't look at it, no matter what happens!


Too late...

Image