The sound of spook's midnight snack

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

The sound of spook's midnight snack

Postby Morach on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 pm

I think the sound he would be making in the last panel would be a mixture of crunch and pop, the legs on the spiders would account for the crunch while the abdomen would make the pop sound. I'm not sure what sound munching on the cephalothorax would make.
Morach
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The sound of spook's midnight snack

Postby Braidboy on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 am

Crunch pop and maybe a "splip" "splort" kinda noise. Cause man... Spiders be juicy!
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Traveler on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 am

I imagine it's rather like Rorschach eating beans.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:53 am

Comics are a great medium, in that I can leave certain things out and you, the reader, will fill them in in your mind.

I originally was going to put some sound effects in those panels, but ultimately decided against it. I figured whatever you heard in your head was much cooler than anything I could add. :D

I actually put in a lot more sound effects now than I used to in the 90s, when I first got started. The original version of this comic had no sound effects at all. No gunshots, no engines...nothing.

Now, the only sound effects I use are to make a point. Sometimes it's to distinguish between handgun calibers. Other times it's to emphasize raw horsepower. And there are times when it just works for the panel in question. Still other times, it helps to emphasize an uncomfortable silence.

I probably give all this way too much thought. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Braidboy on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am

Naw! You're not thinking too much about it. That's the mark of a great comic author! You can let folks fill in the blanks when you choose or step in and tell them how something sounded. Sometimes the fact that you choose to include a sound effect can be a powerful story telling device. Let's never forget the fact that when Spiderman tried to save gwen stacy the snap sound effect was added in the panel where his webbing catches her ankle! Thus sealing the deal that his webline, not the fall, was responsible for death.

I handle them in the same fashion. Someone sees a gun firing they know what it sounds like. I don't necessarily have to have "bang bang' over it. But someone fires an ultra powerful death cannon and that definitely gets a large "BOOOOM". Just cause that shit demands the emphasis!

Plus... in comedy sometimes it's funny to have sound effects unnecessarily.
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Melvar on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:59 am

Braidboy wrote:Plus... in comedy sometimes it's funny to have sound effects unnecessarily.

Unsound effects, too.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Return to Locus