Better and Better

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Better and Better

Postby Braidboy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:49 am

Hey, Adam.

Just thought I'd say the comic just keeps getting better and better! Looks and writing both! And it was good looking (and reading) to begin with. Absolutely fantastic (P.s. not only did I not see the howard were wolf thing coming... the hockey mask spook blind sided me as well-Bravo!).
Braidboy
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Better and Better

Postby Adam Black on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks, man! I'm diggin' the hell out of Raven's Dojo as well. It's the funniest goddamned thing I've ever read.

Did Spook in a hockey mask really throw everyone for a loop? I was sure it was gonna be obvious.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Indeed it did. To be perfectly honest, I thought Howard was Spook, disguised in some fashion, right up to the point where things got all hairy. Which shows how good you are at misdirecting, or how bad I am at predicting plots, or both.

It also put to rest my idea that Howard/Spook was watching Isaac for some reason. Although it could well be Howard was doing so, that doesn;t seem likely, now.

One further bit of foolishness I had decided: that Sammeal wanted Isaac to find Spook.
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 am

Well, let me say right off the bat that I'm not a very good writer. The main reason I write comics is so I can write, and only worry about writing dialogue. I'm no good with descriptive text, I've found. It's much easier for me to draw what's going on than try to describe it without cliches. :lol:

But I'm still working some things out. Kurt Vonnegut once wrote eight rules for writing, and the last one says:

Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

I absolutely, positively disagree with this 100%. If a reader knows how it's going to end, why bother reading to the end? I get the feeling that this is a problem with my train of thought, however, and not Vonnegut's. But it just makes no sense to me.

I try to leave little clues, but mostly in the art, rather than the writing. When Spook was wearing his hockey mask, I left his arms bare to show his skin and muscle tone. I should've done a full shot to show him barefoot, since Spook doesn't wear shoes. Ah, hindsight. :lol:

I'm still working it all out, though, and hope you guys stick with me as I teach myself all this stuff. If something I do in a story drives you nuts, let me know! Feedback is what makes me a better storyteller.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 am

I agree with your disagreement. Such forecasting is great for essays, lousy for drama. (To be mean, I have to say that what I've read of Vonnegut's stuff seem more akin to essays, or perhaps diatribes. Drama, it ain't.) So when I say you are good at misdirecting, that's a compliment (just in case that wasn't clear).

That being said, if you wanted us to spot Spook, yes, bare feet would have been helpful. But I think it works better as is. There's no reason I can see why knowing the Jason wannabee is Spook would improve the story, and every reason to think that suspense, especially in what's essentially a flash-back, is a good thing in a horror tale. Also, I kind of doubt Isaac, whose P.O.V. this is despite the fact he's not retelling it, would have noticed the feet. His attention, like ours, would have been fixed on the mask, which, like me, anyway, put him in mind of the Nephalim.

I'm not clear on this, though; if Spook can't be seen, why bother with the mask? Or does he have to concentrate to mask his thoughts?
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 am

Spook does indeed have to concentrate to mask his thoughts, but at this point in his life, he's pretty good at it.

The main reason he continues to disguise himself is that his little invisibility trick only works on living eyeballs. Cameras of any sort will still see him. As such, he tends to cover up when he's out and about, just in case there might cameras pointed in his direction for some reason.

And, for the most part, his disguises are based upon the time period. Issue four steps back to before Locus was born, and she's about 20 or so when we meet her in issue one. Which means issue four starts sometime in the late 1980s--back when Friday the 13th and Freddy Kreuger movies were big hits. Keeping that in mind, it's no wonder that Isaac freaked out when he woke up in Howard's apartment and saw some god-awful, blood-covered amalgamation of Jason and Freddy (I'm referring to this page).

This, of course, doesn't explain his "happy/sad masks with rockstar wig" disguise which we saw him in originally, but some things about Spook simply cannot be explained. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:06 am

Adam Black wrote:The main reason he continues to disguise himself is that his little invisibility trick only works on living eyeballs.

Does it actually depend on the eyeballs, on the thought behind them, on the brain that contains said thoughts, on the life that sustains said brain, on the spirit that supports the thoughts or on the soul that binds all these? Anything that depends on the eyeballs is vulnerable to other kinds of eye, what depends on the thought is vulnerable to other ways of thinking, what depends on the brain is vulnerable to ghosts, apparitions, phantoms, wraiths and spirits of all kinds, as well as Aİ, what depends on the life is vulnerable to the undead, what depends on the spirit is vulnerable to the zealous, I suppose, and what depends on the soul is vulnerable to the soulless.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Adam Black on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:31 am

It kinda-sorta works like this:

Everyone has six senses, not five. The sixth sense is that we can hear each other's thoughts. Now, we can't hear them well enough to be able to make out individual words or ideas--it's more like a background hum that we pretty much tune out but still notice on a subconscious level. When you get that creepy feeling that someone is standing right behind you--and they are, even though you didn't hear them--that's your sixth sense at work.

This sixth sense ties with our sense of sight the same way taste and smell tie together. When you plug your nose, onions taste like apples because your sense of taste on its own is fairly dull. The sense of smell is really what carries the ball.

Similarly, our sense of sight is based heavily upon our ability to notice each other's thoughts. And we broadcast our thoughts to one another all the time. We can't help it; it's just how everyone's wired. Our thoughts aren't confined to the inside of our skulls.

When you can mask your thoughts, however, you turn off the broadcasting. When you can do that, you're invisible to the sixth sense, and thereby "invisible" to sight. You're not really invisible, but you do end up bypassing sight altogether, much in the same way that the nuances of that onion pass on by your tastebuds when you plug your nose.

And that's basically how it works.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Sixth Sense

Postby Melvar on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

[mixing_fact_and_fiction]
I hypothesize that as an Aspie, I lack the sixth sense described entirely. I have difficulty feeling moods and remembering people; I seem to remember that in less high-functioning individuals, this strongly impairs recognition of other humans as sentient beings in the first place. I cannot sense people behind me, but make up for that with enhanced hearing. Conversely, I have a tendency to accidentally sneak up on people if their back happens to be turned, as though my own broadcasting was weaker or in an unreadable format.
This appears to indicate that the veil missing from the Unveiled Eyes might be the sixth sense itself, if other illusions work similarly. (Edit: That can’t be right. A blind man can see living beings with the Unveiled Eyes.) At the least, my condition might allow me to see Spook. On the other hand, this might be a load of bull. It just ties in nicely with that other hypothesis that the same condition makes me unreadable to telepaths.
[/mixing_fact_and_fiction]
Oh, and the sense normally numbered as sixth is the sense of balance aka equilibrioception.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Return to Locus