Donate to Locus and win free comics!

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Donate to Locus and win free comics!

Postby Adam Black on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

I finally figured out a fun way to pay you guys back for all the generous donations! Here's my hare-brained scheme:

Donating $2 or more automatically puts you in the running to win an autographed copy of a Locus comic!

It's a raffle of sorts. I put your name in the hat (which isn't a hat at all, but a text file on my laptop) and, at the end of every issue (online), I draw a name out of the hat (did I mention it's really a text file?) and that person wins a hardcopy of the previous issue.

That's the basic idea, but it's actually just a little more complicated:

1. Stacking the odds

For every $2 you donate, you get your name on one line in the text file. So, if you donate $10, your name is on five lines. This obviously increases your chance to win, because I run a random number generator to determine which line in the text file holds the winner.

2. Backtracking

The winner gets the issue before the one which is online when he or she donated. So, if you donated while issue 5 is online, you win a copy of issue 4. This is so you don't have to wait too long to get your free comic. As we all know, it takes about a month for Indyplanet to make the comic once I submit it, and I don't submit it until it's already online in its entirety. Here's a handy chart:

Donate during July and August 2009 (when issue 5 is online), and win a copy of issue 4.
Donate during September and October 2009 (when issue 6 is online), and win a copy of issue 5.
Donate during November and December 2009 (when issue 7 is online), and win a copy of issue 6.

And so on and so forth.

Now, if the winner decides he or she wants a different issue, that's cool, too. Just let me know!

3. The Grandfather Clause

I came up with this idea on July 5, 2009, so the contest officially starts on that day. But what about those of you who have donated before then? I've got you covered!

I've already run the program for everyone who donated up through July 4, and the winner of that contest will be getting an autographed copy of the first Collected Trade Paperback, which will have issues 1 through 3, as well as a bunch of bonus pages.

Once I get that thing put together and ready to go, I will be mailing a signed copy to the winner. I will send you an email and let you know who you are.

4. Notoriety

If you so choose, I will be editing this post every other month to announce the winners as they are picked. I will also indicate how much they donated, so you can see how much they cheated to win that round. :lol:

If you wish to remain anonymous, that's fine, too.

In Conclusion

And that's it, really. It sounds like fun to me, so I'm runnin' with it. See, I like to give stuff away, but my wife and all my friends tell me that's a bad idea. So I decided to be sneaky about it, and call it a "contest" instead. And the Missus fell for it! :wink:

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post them below!
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Donate to Locus and win free comics!

Postby Adam Black on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 pm

As usual, I'm running a little behind here. I just now drew the winning name out of the hat for a free copy of Issue Four.

And that name is: Phillip DeJournett. Congratulations, Phillip!

The winner of the first trade paperback, by the way, was Peter Glimsdal, who still hasn't returned my email. Which is okay, since the trade paperback still isn't ready yet (argh!). Sorry for the wait. :(
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Locus