The Magical Spook Thread!

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

The Magical Spook Thread!

Postby Adam Black on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

I put four bonus pages in the print version of issue two, showing some old Spook art--including the infamous "Disney Spook"--but there were a lot of pictures I couldn't show you because I would be violating copyrights by printing them. So, I figured I'd make a thread instead. I may end up doing this for other characters, too. We'll see.

Like I said in the comic, I first drew Spook sometime around 1985 or '86, but he'd been on my mind much longer than that. I've been drawing him since I was a kid, but it wasn't until the mid-80s that I was consciously drawing him as a specific character. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but me. :wink:

I pulled a little from everywhere when I started drawing Spook, but he's largely the combination of two images I saw as a kid, and mashed together in my imagination. If I had to whittle him down to the bare minimum of influences, it would be these two pictures:

When I was 8 years old, my Dad was still in the Army, and we lived in a dorm room (or something--I don't recall exactly) which was joined to an adjacent room by a door which could be locked on both sides. An Army wife and her daughter lived in the adjacent "apartment", and the daughter was a big fan of old horror comics, mainly old EC reprints. When she was done reading them, her mother would pass them under the door for my brother and I to read, and my life changed forever. :lol:

One of these magazines was Eerie #61, originally published in November, 1974. The Ken Kelley cover really grabbed me, probably because I watched a lot of Western movies at the time:

61-1.jpg
61-1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

The second image is a movie, actually. One of my favorite vampire movies is the old silent film, Nosferatu, starring Max Schreck as the vampire. I first watched that when I was about 9 or 10 years old, and those creepy hands and bat ears stuck with me ever since:

max.jpg
max.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 2058 times

If you combine those two pictures in your mind, you can see how Spook was born. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The Magical Spook Thread!

Postby Primitive Screwhead on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Adam Black wrote:If you combine those two pictures in your mind

I did that but I got this instead :

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Primitive Screwhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Good band, but I never could get into the way that guy sang his songs. His voice was just...wrong.

The Wright brothers ended up forming Last Rites, which is a much cooler band.

Also: you're a fuckin' smartass. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Primitive Screwhead on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Adam Black wrote:Also: you're a fuckin' smartass. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, yes I am.

Primitive Screwhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Locus