Question.

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Question.

Postby Wolfhead on Tue May 05, 2009 12:04 pm

You know, when I read Locus, I try to picture it as it would be in "real life graphics", which include trying to imagine how they would sound. In Spook's case, it is obvious(at least for me) that he has a rough, gruff voice. However I noticed that almost all of his words have a period separating them from the rest of the words in the sentence. I may be asking the obvious, but does that mean he speaks pausedly? If so, does that mean it's difficult for him to speak english?
Hell is other people.
Wolfhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Question.

Postby Adam Black on Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Those extra periods are due to the font I was using, actually. The period and the comma look very similar with that font. I didn't even notice it when I was putting together Issue One.

For Issue Two, I used a different font for the commas and apostrophes, which makes it a bit more readable. One of these days I really need to make a font out of the old hand-lettered Spook font I made for this comic back in the mid-90s.

As for Spook's voice: it's very low and gravelly, like he's been eating broken glass or something.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wolfhead on Tue May 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Oh! :-? I thought it was kinda cool to have him speak pausedly, but thanks!

Another question.

Issue 2 page seven. is that a pai'staeta skeleton with Hampstead?
Hell is other people.
Wolfhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 am

It is indeed! Although it's not called a pai'staeta.

See, one of the big problems I have with this comic is that I've had it in my head since the mid-90s, and things that are obvious to me aren't necessarily obvious to everyone reading. :lol:

I also had to cut out some dialogue in issue 3--dialogue which talked more about Karrak. I'll be putting that dialogue back into the story at some point in the future. But, for now, here's the gist of it all:

Karrak is an Ael. Ael exist both here, in the material world, and in what's known as the Aether, which is the stuff that exists between all dimensions and worlds. This makes them very hard to kill--unless you have a magic pistol like Spook's.

The word "pai'staeta" is actually a form of profanity in the Tongue of the Ancients. It doesn't translate exactly into English (or any human language) but it means (in general) "bastard" or "son of a bitch" or "motherfucker". It's not a nice thing to call someone at all.

On page 12 of issue 3, Spook and Locus' dialogue in the last panel introduces two new words: d'aaehaq and pai'staeta. You can read those roughly as "Dammit!" and "Son of a Bitch!"

On the next page, Locus calls Karrak a "pai'staeta snakey-boy", which can be interpreted as "motherfucking snakey-boy".

I'll be inserting this language into the dialogue more as the issues progress, which will hopefully make more sense of it all.

This, of course, brings the number of languages in which profanity is used up to three: English, Spanish, and the Tongue of the Ancients. :lol:

Final note: Dialogue isn't the only thing I cut out of issue three! I also cut out two monsters. Originally, Spook and Locus had to fight four nasty critters, but I figured that was two too many. I'll be saving the other two for the tale of how Spook and Locus' Dad stole that sword (hinted at on page 7 of issue 3), back when Locus was "bite-sized" (as Spook would say).
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wolfhead on Wed May 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Oh, cool. I love knowing races and classes of critters, specially demons and angels.
Also, I thought for a while that pa'istaeta was a curseword, but I had nothing else to call him. :okthen:
Hell is other people.
Wolfhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Thu May 07, 2009 12:07 am

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I rewrote the last fifteen pages of issue 3...shit, I don't know how many times. I stopped counting at six, I think.

Most of the early drafts had "Ael" mentioned and explained in them, but it all eventually got cut out when I realized I hadn't fully explained Chimera's involvement in the death of Locus' Dad.

Chimera, by the way, is the Vamphyr in the business suit--that's something else that got cut out.

Well, except for the big name placard on the lobby guards' desk. His name is shown there.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 am

Could you please post a pronunciation key for the Tongue of the Ancients? Like Wolfhead, I like to hear what I read.
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Adam Black on Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 am

Here's a guide to the words which have been used so far. I don't have a catch-all guide, though. :oops:

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of how this language sounds. It's a very basic, gutteral language. Not very pretty to listen to at all. However, Locus was raised by succubi, and they tend to soften it up a bit.

From Issue One:

Unaph'to Xel'Duum: oo-NOFF-toe zell-DOOM
Shen'to Bana'i: SHENN-toe bah-NYE
Zol'to Shen'to Bana'i: ZOLE-toe SHENN-toe bah-NYE
O'kot'tu: oh-COT-too
Lili'tu: lee-LEE-too

From Issue Two:

Zoda'tai Korin'i: ZOE-dah-tye koh-REE-nee
Ze'me moza shen'to gi: ZEH-meh MOE-zah SHENN-toe GEE ("G" as in "grape", not "gender")

From Issue Three:

D'aaehaq: die-HOCK
Pai'staeta: pie-STY-tah
Vamphyr: vom-PEER

From Issue Four: (so far)

Upaah zonega fiis'ta d'etharzi: oo-PAH zoe-NAY-gah FEESE-tah day-THAR-zee
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wolfhead on Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 am

Hmm, so the language sounds I imagined are close to the actual pronunciation . Portuguese is a bit lighter on the sounds, so it's easier for me to actually read this and understand the spelling. And also makes me understand all the spanish from the first issue, since portuguese and spanish are both latin languages. The demon language actually sounds somewhat close to some african dialects.
And by the way, "vamphyr" is really close to vampire in portuguese which is "vampiro".
Hell is other people.
Wolfhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Melvar on Wed May 13, 2009 4:13 am

I would have much preferred a rendering in IPA... but you probably can't do that anyway. Also: do the apostrophes have any effect on pronunciation or meaning, or are they only there for effect?
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Adam Black on Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 am

I would've preferred IPA too, to tell you the truth. I wasn't sure how to put some of those characters into a forum post, though. :lol:

So I did it this way. I tried to keep the pronunciation guide from being too English-centric, but I'm not sure how well I did in that department. Let me know if I created more questions than answers in my guide. :wink:

As for the apostrophes: they don't really indicate any inflection, although I've noticed that the syllable which preceeds an apostrophe is usually the one that gets stressed in pronunciation. They're usually there to indicate when a suffix has been added to a stem word. "Shen'to" is a good example: "shen" is "to eat" or "eater" and the suffix "'to" means "of".
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 am

/ˈʃɛntəʊ baˈnaɪ̯/
Perhaps? Simply copy and paste.
Also, for a "guttural language", I'd expect more velar and/or uvular consonants, and profusion of /ʔ/.
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Showoff. :wink:

Seriously, though: I will see what I can do with this cut & paste trick! It's typical that I would overlook something that simple. :lol:

As for gutteral: keep in mind that you've only heard succubi (and family members of said succubi) speak this language so far. The succubi tend to soften it a bit. Make it a bit...sexier, I suppose. There will be others in the comic who will be speaking it with much less finesse.

Thanks for the tips, though! I'm not very good at conlanging, to be honest. The Tongue of the Ancients is in the comic now more for color than anything else. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves as the issues progress and I handle it more intelligently.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Needs some attention, perhaps give the answer in the Rosetta Stone thread, though.
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Locus