Requests? Suggestions? Post 'em here!

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Re: Requests? Suggestions? Post 'em here!

Postby Adam Black on Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Trade paperback versions will definitely be done! I'll be collecting the first three issues in that format, and will be including extra bonus material (above and beyond the bonus pages in the individual issues). There will also be a surprise. I'm still working on that, though, but it's coming soon. Waiting on a friend of mine.

Other story arcs will be collected in trade paperback form as well, including the new storyline which started with Issue Four.

I've been a little behind on the wallpapers, unfortunately. Some dental problems and other stupid things have been getting in the way lately. :-? I hope to get started on them again soon--including a few that are entirely Spook-related.

Also: Spook says he loves you, too. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Sat May 16, 2009 5:01 am

Adam Black wrote:There's something else about the Locus RPG that's really going to set it apart from what everyone's used to, but I'm playing those cards very close to my chest right now. I think you guys will dig it.

What Boobs?

Hmmmm, well, can I suggest something for it?

In Exalted, there is a system called stunting, where by if you describe something really really well you get a bonus on your dice rolls and stuff. I was thinking that could work in Locus. I mean Spook jumped throught a wall and blocked a table, and later on, he shot a guy in the head with out aiming. That is stunt worth stuff.
I think that would work well in Locus RPG.

And what about skills and spells? You having skill trees? Those are always fun and quite easy.
And what about custom items? I want to make my own custom magic book called theopenandclosedbook.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Sat May 16, 2009 8:30 am

theopenandclosedbook wrote:I mean Spook jumped throught a wall and blocked a table, and later on, he shot a guy in the head with out aiming.

Spook got hit so hard by a table that he cracked the wall he got smashed into. Is that what you're referring to?

As for the gun: It's a magic gun. He shoots it without aiming all the time. See the last couple of pages of Issue One. :wink:

theopenandclosedbook wrote:And what about skills and spells? You having skill trees? Those are always fun and quite easy.
And what about custom items? I want to make my own custom magic book called theopenandclosedbook.

You know, I've been running games on and off since about 1983, and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone describe skill trees as "fun and easy". I seem to recall a lot more bitching and moaning about the requisite paperwork involved in some RPGs. :lol:

As for custom items: there will be lots of room for that sort of thing. The sky's the limit when you're a Necromancer--there will be some guidelines for creating everything from magic guns to vampire girlfriends. You know, because everyone wants a vampire girlfriend. :D

In the end, here's what I'm shooting for:

I'm going to create a rules system concise enough to describe how I feel the world should work, and this will be based upon what I'm showing you in the comic. Granted, I haven't shown you much more than an action movie with monsters in it so far, but that's all going to change starting with Issue Four. By this time next year, you guys will have a much better grasp of Locus' world and how it works.

But I'm going to keep the rules system simple, because I think bookkeeping is the biggest buzzkill of any RPG. For example: there are five attributes for characters in this game, but only one of them really matters; the other four are there simply to help in various calculations.

Wrapped around this rules system will be some text where I describe Locus' world in detail, and why it is the way it is. And, wrapped around all that will be artwork--both from the comic and some custom stuff drawn up just for the game.

Hopefully, people will play the game just as it's written, because it'll feel like the comic that way. However, if you wanna throw some other rules at it, the rules system should be simple enough to make the translation simple.

In the end, though, I'll be making the game the same way I make the comic: I'm pretty much just doing it for me. If someone else likes it, great! If not, well, okay. :wink:

I just woke up, so I might not be making a whole hell of a lot of sense right now.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 am

Depends of the skill tree. I'm thinking Diablo II style skill trees.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Sat May 16, 2009 9:25 am

I should point out that I didn't like those at all. So, no. Probably not. :lol:

One of the key elements in RPGs is character advancement, and the usual way of showing that advancement is by giving characters more impressive stats, more skills...that sort of thing.

This game isn't going to do it that way, although there will indeed be a definite measure of character advancement.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cederfern on Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

Adam Black wrote:
I can tell stories about anyone and everyone you've read about in Locus so far: Locus, Spook...even Masque and Loco! Here's what I have planned so far:

Issues 1-3: Locus and Spook get revenge for her Dad's murder.
Issues 4-6: Turn the clock back about 20 years and tell the story of Locus' Dad.
Issues 7-9: Turn the clock back about a hundred-odd years and tell the story of how Spook met his wife.
Issues 10-12: ?

10-12 could and maybe should be an introduction to more meaningful reasons for the birth and continued life of Locus. and probably Spook, if the deals with the devil havent been disclosed by then.

and for a fun party event, there's always a "canon cross over" with an alternate or parallel universe (*hint hint*) :wink:

i say canon,. because the story i am woring on, while a group effort, much like an RP, is actually canon to the story itself. i am not fond of non-canon "story content", since it is essentially inconsequential to the actual story, and therefore does not really exist within the frame of the story itself.
Cederfern
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am

Cederfern wrote:10-12 could and maybe should be an introduction to more meaningful reasons for the birth and continued life of Locus. and probably Spook, if the deals with the devil havent been disclosed by then.

Good idea! I haven't really figured out her childhood yet, other than:

1. She was home-schooled, and
2. Uncle Spook did a lot of babysitting.

Which gives me a couple of ideas, but nothing I've put down on paper yet. Her Dad had an interesting life during her early years, and those stories will be featured as prominently as Locus' childhood itself. I can't say anymore without giving away the ending to the current "Unveiled" storyline, which has just barely begun.

In fact, "Unveiled" might end up running six issues instead of three. I'm still getting all that figured out, so I can't say for certain. It's pointing in that direction, though.

Cederfern wrote:i say canon,. because the story i am woring on, while a group effort, much like an RP, is actually canon to the story itself. i am not fond of non-canon "story content", since it is essentially inconsequential to the actual story, and therefore does not really exist within the frame of the story itself.

I'm definitely gonna check that out when I get a little more time. Right now, I'm trying to work ahead to the point where I can take a week off. Because I need a week off. :wink:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cederfern on Wed May 27, 2009 12:33 pm

yeah, im going to stop harping aon about it now :P

Spook is awesome, i cant wait to read and see what sort of uncle/babysitter he was! LOL
Cederfern
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DocMerlin on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:33 am

I suggest you ...
Keep kicking ass with the tale of Locus, man!
Just read about 5-6 pages, I dig the story.
DocMerlin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks, bro!

I'm diggin' the recent CWN storyline, as well. Freaky-awesome. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Godortslutgas on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:56 am

When the story is over I would really like to see a hardcover "complete locus" made, I would also like to see a simple T-shirt with just the locus logo on the front, and although very very unlikely, I would also really like to see a pair of official goggles (the kind that locus' dad wears) made
Godortslutgas
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am

A hardcover edition of every single Locus comic ever? I kinda like that idea, actually. Right now, I'm collecting them in 3-issue trade paperbacks. The first one should be finished up soon, but it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated, due to the recent onslaught of (thankfully) much-needed bill-paying OPA*.

I had a couple t-shirts designed and ready to go, but Ka-Blam shut down their t-shirt offerings recently. Apparently, their t-shirt-making machine went tits-up and they're still getting it fixed. I may end up putting some designs over on zazzle.com, though, including the Locus logo (the flame on the back of her jacket) and that weird symbol that's on the grip of Spook's pistol (and many, many other places).

As for the goggles...there's a story behind those!

When I was...what? 14? 15? There was this girl in my school who had this great pair of goggles. They were round lenses with side-skirt things, and an elastic strap to keep them on your head. She let me borrow them one day, and I absolutely fell in love with them. Unfortunately, she wouldn't sell them to me and I never did find a pair of my own. That was back in the mid-80s, and I've never seen a pair even remotely like them since.

I'd kill to have a pair, though. If anyone here knows of a company or website where you can design your own sunglasses, I would definitely talk to them and see if they'd make a line of these or something.

(*OPA=Other People's Art :wink: )
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Godortslutgas on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 am

A quick google search gave me this place. it might be worthwhile to look into

http://customsunglassesetc.com/
Godortslutgas
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:51 am

Right on! Thanks! :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:42 am

Hey, how is that Locus game coming along?
I've got bored with playing Exalted, and Munchkin so something new would be awesome.
It is either that or a Judge Dredd game.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:39 am

Coming along very slowly, I'm afraid. :-?

I've been swamped the last couple of months with private commissions and other things. I'll be getting back into it this month, though.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Locus