Requests? Suggestions? Post 'em here!

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Requests? Suggestions? Post 'em here!

Postby Adam Black on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 am

First off: thanks to everyone who's made a Paypal donation thus far. You guys are awesome.

Many of these donations also had messages attached, and these messages were often requests (for t-shirts and such) as well as suggestions for future storylines. I love that kind of thing! So I figured I'd make a sticky topic for you guys to give me any requests or suggestions you might have.

(Note that you don't have to donate anything in order to make a request!)

See, back when I was working on the Kiss comic, one of the stipulations in the contract was that I needed to listen to the readers and act on any good suggestions for future storylines and such. And let me tell you: it was a blast. I loved it. It's so nice to get instant feedback from readers--it's the main reason why I like making webcomics in the first place.

So!

If you're sitting around reading Locus one day and think to yourself, "Man, it would be cool if I couid see more stories with Spook in them" (or something along those lines), then feel free to let me know by replying to this thread.

I can tell stories about anyone and everyone you've read about in Locus so far: Locus, Spook...even Masque and Loco! Here's what I have planned so far:

Issues 1-3: Locus and Spook get revenge for her Dad's murder.
Issues 4-6: Turn the clock back about 20 years and tell the story of Locus' Dad.
Issues 7-9: Turn the clock back about a hundred-odd years and tell the story of how Spook met his wife.
Issues 10-12: ?

I'm also taking suggestions for merchandise. Right now, I have a couple of t-shirt designs, a collectible card series, and a coffeetable book in the works--which I hope to work harder on, now that my bad tooth has been pulled. (That thing was slowing me down so bad...you have no idea!)

For merchandising, here's the list so far:

1. The largest collectible card series ever! These cards will be 11"x17", and will feature a full-color illustration of the main characters of the series: Locus, Spook, Silk, Eden, Templeton (Locus' Dad), Masque and Loco. I'll be adding other characters as they're introduced in the story. Hampstead, for instance, as well as two new characters which we'll be seeing around issue 4. (We'll be seeing a lot more of Hampstead around that time, too!)

2. The aforementioned coffeetable book. I'm playing those cards close to my chest for the time being. I think you guys will love this book when it's done, but it's going to require a LOT of artwork.

3. T-shirts: I'm going to be working on one this weekend, just for the ladies. It's going to be black with nothing on the front (although it might say "locus.keenspot.com" or something--I'm not sure yet) and a life-sized version of Locus' wing tattoo on the back. I'm also working on Spook t-shirts, but can't decide whether to put him in or out of his disguise. Help me out with that one, when you get a minute.

4. Collected trade paperbacks: I'll be collecting them in three-issue bunches (see above), with new artwork inside and a surprise for the cover! You'll love it, I promise.

That's all I have planned so far. If you have any ideas or opinions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for reading and participating in all this! I don't know about you guys, but I've never had so much fun in my entire life. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Requests? Suggestions? Post 'em here!

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33 pm

The T shirt would be bad ass, and t-shirt with Spook on the front, with both his masks on, but carrying one of each of the Greek masks in his hands would be cool to.

And if you are taking requests for stories, I have some.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Hit me!

Let me know what kinds of stories you're interested in reading. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Well, one of my ideas, was your take on the Joan of Arc story, so much you could do with that.

and the other is maybe a bit from Spook journal, if he has one.

I also have a few comic script I wrote, but I think they are to close to Anime to fit in with Locus.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Spook doesn't have a journal per se, but he has an excellent memory. I'll be telling lots of Spook stories in the future, but there's some ground work I need to lay down first. I'll be doing a lot of that in issues 4-6, when I tell the story of Locus' Dad. There are a lot of things about the world Locus lives in that I'm just barely touching upon in the first three issues, and I have to make those more concrete first.

There's going to be much more about Spook, Hampstead, Xel'Duum, the Devil...lots and lots of stuff.

The Joan of Arc idea is interesting...I'll have to look into that story some more and get back to you on that.

As for anime, I'm not much of an anime fan, I'm afraid. I grew up on older, weirder stuff--which will find its way into future issues of this comic. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby track13d on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:44 am

Since the devil will be in the series, any chance of seeing an Angel or 3? Maybe show your rendition of a an angel, a guardian angel, and an archangel! Also how is the pin-up idea coming along? A book with nude characters by the "Master" of monstersandnekkidladies will/would be so awesome! I vote for the shirt with Spook w/o mask, but with it/them on ground by him, and my wife wants the Locus wing shirt!
track13d
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Angels in this series come in three flavors: angel, cherub and seraph. Angels have two wings, cherubs have four, seraphim have six. There are only four seraphim in the series; the Devil is one of them.

My angels are anatomically correct--in the sense that their rib cages and upper bodies are shaped differently than normal, in order to accomodate the wings. Of course, I don't do the same for the succubi, but that's because they're entirely different animals. The angels also have facial features not common to most angel art. The angels in this series are more...alien-looking.

I have some angel sketches sitting around the studio, but nothing worth putting up for public consumption just yet. I'm still ironing out some details. I'll post some on my blog (and link from the Sketches thread) once I get some angel art worth looking at.

In general: these angels aren't going to be quite what everyone is used to. There's a reason the Devil was cast out of the Heavenly Host, but it's not quite the reason we've been told. There's also a reason why we have so many religions today, and that's also not quite the reason we think it is. I'm not rewriting everything from scratch here, I'm just filling in some interesting blanks. All should become clear (or at least start to become clear) with issues 4-6.

The pin-ups...I haven't started on those yet. That infected tooth which got pulled last week put a serious crimp in my productivity. I was barely keeping up with Locus, and letting everything else slide. I've spent the last week scrambling to get all my other art commitments taken care of, and finally got them all done as of an hour ago. So I'll be getting back to work on the pin-ups very soon.

As for the book...funny you should mention that! That's also something I'm working on. I think you guys will dig it, but I can't say anything about it just yet. I'm going to keep that one a secret for now, because I really think it's a very good idea, and don't want to feel rushed in finishing it before someone else jumps on that idea.

I'm still figuring out what I want to do with Spook shirts--he has a sense of humor that I want to convey on the shirts, and I'm still refining that. As for the Locus Wings shirt--I'll be making one up this weekend and having it shipped to me so I can see if they'll turn out right or not. Which means my wife gets the first Locus Wings shirt. :lol:

I'll definitely let you guys know when the shirt is available, though! I'll post all Locus merch links to the "Online Comics Store" announcement thread.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby pagesculptor on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 am

Totally want t-shirts! I want tight fitting ones that make fat mom's cringe and their husbands drool. I want one with your logo and one with Spook's face spread across my chest. I would wear that one to ballet class.

DJ Richie Rich
pagesculptor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DocMerlin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 am

:rootbeer:
Virtual beer, that would be awesome.
You should add a link so I can download a cold beer.

I was going to suggest more info on locus's Dads backstory,And I see that it will be the topic of the next few issues.
So, that's cool.
Everything else seems to be moving at a good pace, well thought out.
I dig spooks hidden head holster.

That Necromancer guy from the other issue was a creep, I'm glad he got what was coming to him.
DocMerlin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:16 am

I'm working on two shirts right now, and one of them is indeed a Spook shirt. :D

Also: Thanks, Doc!
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hambone on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 am

Suggestion? Request?

Just sayin'
Hambone
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 am

He's on his way, man!

For everyone else: it's only another two issues or so until you get to meet Spook's best friend in the whole world. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby harper128 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:39 am

Met him? Heh, roomed with him. Don't forget, that's a big, big world you're playing with, how about some outside stories? Maybe ones other than the ones I've heard before? Just sayin' is all.
harper128
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:45 pm

I will do what I can!

Er...after I figure out who you are and what Spook stories you've already heard. :lol:

Send me a PM, man!
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hambone on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 am

Adam...

Two words: "stinky feet"

Remember him now?
Hambone
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 pm

:lol:

You guys are fucking up my suggestions thread SO BAD.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby harper128 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 am

Not nice, Hammy. Accurate, but not nice.:D Got that taken care of though.

Ok, on to actual suggestions:

Stories:

Spook Origins. Some of your readers, those that know you, know about Spook, but for those who don't, it will probably make an interesting read. Especially if it's the same origin that I've been told.

Secondary characters. Unless I miss my guess, guys like Loco and even the necromancer have a much larger and more interesting story than what we got to see in the comic so far. Lay it out for us. Tell us what the necrocreep was like before and how he worked his way to being what he is (was) in the strip.

And what about Loco and his pack? What were they like before the got involved with Hampstead and what happened to them after Loco got himself roasted?

It might also be interesting to see some characters that live in your world that have an impact on Spook and Company, yet they never even know about one another. Perhaps someone else who has an impact on Hampstead? Someone else connected to something they do or have but at an earlier, or later, time?

Oh, and while I do want to hear about Spook's one bullet oath, you should hang on to that story for now. Make us wait for it. :D

On to swag:

First things first:

You should give Spook a catch-phrase. The best one I've seen so far is "You saying I'm not good looking?" from Issue 3, page 6, panel 4, in that font. You just have to work it into each comic set that he's in at least once, which shouldn't be that hard.

Logos:
1.) Locus's wings with wording encircling them. Perhaps something like Adam Black's Locus across the top and the website around the bottom.
2.) Spook's mug encircled with the words "Unc'a Spooks Storytime Tales" and the web address around the bottom.

On to the products, the first one would be best if Spook hadn't been unmasked yet, but oh well.:)

First suggestion: Spook Unmasked. Front and back, black t-shirt with white image of spook wearing only one of his masks, the one on his face, and a big censored bar down below, on the front. Of course, the back of the t-shirt features the back of Spook, sans the censored bar. Don't know how apropriate the shirt would be, but then, isn't that a bit of what Locus is all about?

Second suggestion: Locus Wing pocket logo on the front, Spook peeing out from behind his mask (ie' about 1/3 of his face covered by the mask with his hand lifiting it off) with the words "You saying I'm not good looking?" in the Spooktalk font as the back.

Decals, you can put both logo suggestions onto round decals, 3-4 inch ones.

You might also consider a coffee mug with "before" and "after" my first cup pictures on them. Which one is before and which one is after is up to you.

Anyway, that's it for the moment. Don't get me started on replicas of the pistol.:)
harper128
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 am

There are a number of things in that post that I need to address:

Spook Origins. Some of your readers, those that know you, know about Spook, but for those who don't, it will probably make an interesting read. Especially if it's the same origin that I've been told.

There are a lot of people who remember Spook from as far back as 1991, and for all of those people, I should make this clear: what I told you way back then and what you'll be seeing in the comic won't necessarily be the same thing at all. Spook has changed as a character since those crazy old days, which means you'll be just as surprised and entertained as the people who have never heard of him before. :D

I have a story planned right after the story that starts in May, and it is indeed a Spook story. Not an origin story, per se, but it shows how he met his wife, his relationship with Hampstead (those two go way back), and stuff like that. You guys will dig it--it'll be a return to the original concept of Spook as a supernatural gunslinger, which is what he started out as. You can get a sneak-peek at Gunslinger Spook on page 28 of the print version of Issue Three (which isn't available yet).

Secondary characters. Unless I miss my guess, guys like Loco and even the necromancer have a much larger and more interesting story than what we got to see in the comic so far. Lay it out for us. Tell us what the necrocreep was like before and how he worked his way to being what he is (was) in the strip.

And what about Loco and his pack? What were they like before the got involved with Hampstead and what happened to them after Loco got himself roasted?

I have story ideas for Loco and the Necromancer, actually. Masque, too. Her story is pretty tragic. Those will all be told at some point in the future--after I clear some things up about the main characters. I think you guys will like the Loco and Masque stories.

Also, I'll be telling a lot of stories about Hampstead--which doesn't mean much to anyone right now, of course. But in future issues, you guys will see how central he is to everything that's going on.

It might also be interesting to see some characters that live in your world that have an impact on Spook and Company, yet they never even know about one another. Perhaps someone else who has an impact on Hampstead? Someone else connected to something they do or have but at an earlier, or later, time?

I've been kicking around that same idea for awhile now, actually. It's something I'll definitely be doing, but not for another three years or so. The current webcomic schedule for Locus is six issues a year, and I've got at least five years planned out so far.

Oh, and while I do want to hear about Spook's one bullet oath, you should hang on to that story for now. Make us wait for it.

That will be explained in the Spook Gunslinger story mentioned earlier. I just rearranged the comic schedule, and that story should be featured somewhere around issue ten.

You should give Spook a catch-phrase. The best one I've seen so far is "You saying I'm not good looking?" from Issue 3, page 6, panel 4, in that font. You just have to work it into each comic set that he's in at least once, which shouldn't be that hard.

Spook has two catch-phrases, actually, although he's only used each of them once so far. :wink:

And they're not catch-phrases for their own sake. I hate that shit. They exist as an indication of his mindset. Keep in mind that Spook isn't (nor was he ever) human. His point of view is very different from ours, and he'll be repeating cetain things to help drive that point home.

We're just prey for Spook, and you can hear it in his dialogue. He refers to baby Locus as "bite-sized", for example. Keep your eyes open for further utterances from Spook in that regard.

As for shirts: I have two planned so far. One for men; one for women. The women's shirt has begun production, and a sample is on its way to my house. I like to get a look at these things before offering them to the general public. Once it gets here, I'll let you guys know.

The men's shirt has Spook on it. I haven't drawn that one up yet, but it's in the works. The design across the shoulders on the back is gonna be awesome.

Stickers and coffee mugs...I really haven't given those much thought, to be honest. If someone else wants to see a mug with Spook or Locus on it, let me know. I do have posters and gigantic (11"x17") collectible cards in the works, though!

Thanks for all the suggestions, dude! I appreciate it.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby harper128 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:44 am

No problem. Mugs might still be a bit out there unless you use one of those services that makes them as they are ordered, don't remember the name of it. They also do mouse pads and other things.

Stickers though, some people don't think anything about putting a batch of them all over. My brother always plastered his motocross bike with the ones he thought were cool, and he would think Spook is cool. They're also relatively cheap to get printed, especially if it's only two tone, and cheaper to sell. It's easier to drop a couple of bucks on a sticker or two than 20-40 dollars on one nice print. Not only that, the sticker will get toted out and about (more likely to anyway) than a print or those jumbo sized trading cards you have planned, which gets the comic's name out to the public more.

On that note, you might also consider some buttons for sale. They just clip on and they won't get un-stickied like the stickers will. Fully embroidered patches would be great, but pretty expensive to get made.

If you go for buttons, you might look into actually making some Buttonmen out of some of the characters. That would require getting the rights to make them though if you want to offer them for sale. Or you could make some Punch Cards with some full color Spook and Co. artwork. Both of these game systems are copyright Cheapass Games. While I personally like Buttonmen (there is a bit of strategy involved in playing it), Punch Cards doesn't require anything but the cards, so it's easier to play and might be more attractive to a casual buyer, plus it will have some kickass art. I could go on with this (see the Brawl decks if you check out Cheapass's site), but I'll stop there for now.:)
harper128
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 am

I may have a way of making buttons in the near future. I did a logo for a Canadian friend's radio program, and in return, she's offered to make me some buttons. I may take her up on that at some point, but not until I have a good idea what I want these buttons to look like.

I also have an idea for a role-playing game, but I'm not going to go into that just yet. Once it's ready, I'll be hitting the forums here for playtesters. But it won't be for awhile.

The main problem with merchandising is that I'm a one-man band. I just don't have enough hours in the day. That's all going to change soon, I hope. Some close friends and family members have expressed an interest in helping me out, and I'm taking them up on the offer.

At some point in the (very near) future, I just might have a family-run business centered around Locus. Which will be cool, I think. Especially since these people have offered to take on the business and promotional ends of this thing, which leaves me more time to create the comic and all the other content.

Slowly but steadily, this thing is growing. So you guys be sure to stay tuned!
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wolfhead on Wed May 06, 2009 7:08 pm

I've got a sugestion:

Add another "first - previous - next - latest" bar on the top of the page, just above the comic page itself. It makes navigation through the pages a lot easier. And if I may be a bit more annoying, it would be great if you added an archive.

Anyway, just a sugestion.
Hell is other people.
Wolfhead
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri May 08, 2009 8:00 am

Both are very good ideas! I will see what I can do.

I'm not very good at tweaking the default page. :oops:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Tue May 12, 2009 11:41 am

Hey, about the Roleplaying game, any ideas on the system, cause I know a few.
If you want a chance for really detailed story, with out having to worry how many candles you have ect, may i suggest the story teller system?
Maybe you could nick "Stunting" from Exalted, to fit inh with Locus and Spooks bouncing off the walls.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Adam Black on Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Re-reading, I've realized that this post is almost a rant. You have been warned. :lol:

I've tinkered with systems for this game since 1996 or so, and I've gone through a lot of them.

None of them felt right at all. I kept having to shoehorn the comic's ideas into the rules systems, and it was a complete pain in the ass. The closest I ever got to putting together a perfect Locus RPG was by using The Window. Unfortunately, no one likes that system but me. :(

I picked through about forty generic systems, but they all felt so...generic. So I shelved the whole RPG idea for years.

A month or two ago, I had an epiphany of sorts. See, back in my day (the Old Man says), every game had a different rules system, and the rules system were written to call the players' attention to what the game designers felt were the most important parts of the world the game took place in. Attributes, skills, die rolls...they were all custom-written to emphasize certain things which made the gameplay that much better and more unique. When you switched from D&D to Car Wars (for example), you could feel the difference when you went from one world to the next. And I miss that.

Nowadays, everyone's throwing d20 or White Wolf or GURPS or Fudge rules at different worlds, and everything loses its individual charm. It just feels like the same game over and over again, just in a different world or time period or something. What's worse: it just becomes a tweaked version of something you've already played to death. And that kind of thing really waters Locus' world down to the point where it just isn't any goddamned fun.

As an example: I've created Spook in at least eight different RPGs over the past 20 years or so (including those mentioned above), and he's never quite what he is in the comic, although he came very close a couple of times. I'm not talking about stats or powers or skills--it's just that he didn't feel quite like Spook. The GURPS version of Spook was the worst. He was so bland and vanilla...ugh. I'm not a GURPS fan by any stretch of the imagination.

So!

This game is going to have a custom rules system. All of it--built up from scratch, emphasizing and prioritizing the things I feel need to be emphasized and prioritized--most of these important things I haven't introduced yet, but will be in the next couple of issues. Granted, most people are just gonna gut the rules out of it and slap in their favorite generic/universal/catch-all system, and that's their choice. But if you play by the rules in the book, it's going to actually feel like the comic.

With that said, I'm barely into the writing aspect--I have a couple of ideas jotted down for metrics and dice mechanics and all that crap. Once that's out of the way (and playtested to double-check my grasp of probability and statistics), it'll all be downhill from there.

Hopefully, my good friends Ed and Joe will be assisting with this, as well as some old gaming buddies--some of which have gone on to become RPG professionals, like Colin Chapman, who's a hell of a good guy.

There's something else about the Locus RPG that's really going to set it apart from what everyone's used to, but I'm playing those cards very close to my chest right now. I think you guys will dig it.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sinstress on Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I would really like to get the whole set in hard copy, like a graphic novel rather than comic books, 4 or 5 comics per book ..... Also I want to see wallpapers!!! I love spook ;)
sinstress
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to Locus