Building a Rosetta Stone

Monsters and nekkid ladies!

Moderator: Adam Black

Re: Building a Rosetta Stone

Postby Adam Black on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

The hint on that page is a visual one, actually. :wink: It's in panel 3.

As for the name of the language, it doesn't technically have a name--well, not yet, at least.

Back when this language first came about, it was more or less the only language--barring small localized differences. Assigning language names by nation is something we did here much, much later.

You are certainly keeping me on my toes with this, you know. Making me do a lot more work than I was actually planning to do. :lol:

Keep it up! I need someone to keep me honest on this. Especially seeing as how I'm terrible with conlang-related stuff.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Adam Black wrote:The hint on that page is a visual one, actually. :wink: It's in panel 3.

Something to do with the spider? Does it get eaten? Is it where the Nefilim comes from, or does he just show up from the other side?
As for the name of the language, it doesn't technically have a name--well, not yet, at least.

Back when this language first came about, it was more or less the only language--barring small localized differences. Assigning language names by nation is something we did here much, much later.

Does that mean there is not even a word for “language” or “speech” itself? That would do, really.
You are certainly keeping me on my toes with this, you know. Making me do a lot more work than I was actually planning to do. :lol:

Keep it up! I need someone to keep me honest on this. Especially seeing as how I'm terrible with conlang-related stuff.

[brazen]Thank you! I only know one really good piece of advice: construct the grammar and the phonology first. Only when those are done, construct the lexicon to comply with both, since the grammar dictates what words you need and the phonology dictates what phonemes may appear.
…of course, that only applies here to any future language construction you may do.[/brazen]
||,'\'/=|,'|ıı|-|;-/;|,'|-y,',V;\_¯ıı=|;-|-|,¯\','/¦||ıı=_¯|;/;(-=|!==ıı|.|
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Adam Black on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 pm

The Nefilim...oh, man. I'd love to tell you where he comes from, but I'll be ruining a big surprise. For now, though, let me just say that his origin isn't pleasant in the slightest. I'm referring both to his origin in particular, and the whole race in general. For now, though, remember that he's not quite the standard definition of "nephilim" that we're all used to. There's a reason why the ancient Greeks thought there was such a thing as a cyclops--they found an elephant's skull, and thought the trunk hole was an eye hole in the skull of a giant.

The Nefilim are misunderstood in much the same way. I'll go into it more later. Some of it I won't be getting around to for years--not until I tell the story of Xel'Duum herself, which isn't for quite a while.

As for the spider: keep an eye on spiders next issue! I gave away another hint about spiders during one of those times when Isaac was talking to the Devil.

Also:

The grammer of the TotA has already (more or less) been taken care of for me, because it's heavily based upon another language. I'll be hinting more about that sometime in issue seven, although I dropped some foundation hints in issue 4. The phonology--man, I really need to record it at some point. I really do.

My big problem with conlangs has to do with the gaps in my education. I moved around a lot (A LOT) growing up, and one of those moves really screwed up an important part of my education.

When I was in Grade 9, I was at a school where we were to be studying literature in English class for the first half of the year, and then, in the second half, we were supposed to study the eight parts of speech and all that. Well, I moved halfway through the year to another school which was doing the same thing, only in reverse. So I got a year of reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Alas, Babylon" and "1984", but never really did get taught the basics of the English language.

I've looked it over as an adult, but a lot of it doesn't make sense to me. So bear with me! Part of my strategy is to trickle the TotA to Locus readers a little at a time, to give you guys a feel for it--and to give me a feel for creating it as well. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Melvar on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Adam Black wrote:The Nefilim...oh, man. I'd love to tell you where he comes from, but I'll be ruining a big surprise.

I was just asking about how he appeared so suddenly. I had the idea he might have shapeshifted from the spider, but he might just have been standing beside the door.
Adam Black wrote:As for the spider: keep an eye on spiders next issue! I gave away another hint about spiders during one of those times when Isaac was talking to the Devil.

That would be where he refers to Eden as “a Banaʼi”, this being a singular article on a plural word (“spiders”), which we weren’t sure of at the time. Could Eden be one with the spider or something…?
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: A huge data wave - isn't that where we all are? I mean, we're all surfing, right?

Postby Adam Black on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, the Nefilim was guarding the door--most likely to keep Isaac inside.

As for the Bana'i--he thinks Isaac is talking about one, because he said "demon girl". When Sammael hears "demon girl" he thinks of Bana'i, not succubi.

Now, as to why the word Bana'i means "spiders" but can also refer to a single person...we'll get to see that in issue 6! Arachnophobes everywhere will love me forever. :D
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Max320 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 am

Adam Black wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, the Nefilim was guarding the door--most likely to keep Isaac inside.

As for the Bana'i--he thinks Isaac is talking about one, because he said "demon girl". When Sammael hears "demon girl" he thinks of Bana'i, not succubi.

Now, as to why the word Bana'i means "spiders" but can also refer to a single person...we'll get to see that in issue 6! Arachnophobes everywhere will love me forever. :D

I smell a tasty arachnid surprise :D
Max320
Junior Keenspotter

A many

Postby Melvar on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Adam Black wrote:As for the Bana'i--he thinks Isaac is talking about one, because he said "demon girl". When Sammael hears "demon girl" he thinks of Bana'i, not succubi.

I am now reminded of Ygramul, the many. In case you don’t know of her, she is a large mass of tiny creatures, probably arthropods, with a hive mind, which as a whole take different shapes – one of her favorites was a spider’s. Of course, this trope has been repeated endlessly, but I think Ygramul was the first instance I myself encountered.
Melvar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:56 pm

I had to look that one up; I'd never heard of such a thing before. The Bana'i sounds very, very similar.

I guess there really is nothing new under the sun. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:30 am

Poor Meittron, Metatron, Enoch, or whatever you want to call him. First Pullman picks on him, making him into a usurper, and now you make him into a despairing god. He's just a scribe, as I recall. Well, the scribe, but still. Like all such, he occasionally signs things for the boss to save the big guy some trouble, and now things have gotten wildly out of control.

As dear old Unca Spook would say, "Indigeni, I swear."

Are any of the original archangels going to show up, too? Maybe Micheal, who deserves some good press after that asshat film. Having John Travolta play you is insulting enough without that script. With it, feathers are surely ruffled.
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:02 am

I'm well aware of Metratron/Enoch, actually. I'm also interested in Dee and Kelley's attempts to rediscover Enoch's knowledge from the angels who visited them in a crystal ball back in the late 1500s at Dee's house at Mortlake. I've used quite a bit of material from that time period--and I don't think anyone's really noticed it yet. If they did, there would be far fewer questions regarding the Tongue of the Ancients on the forums. :wink:

Be careful with mythology, especially Judeo-Christian mythology. Because the victors write the history, and what are religious texts but the history of a deity or set of deities? Every single religion has texts centered around the historical facts of the exploits and experiences of their gods. It's all just history.

For that matter, why don't my American History books tell the story of 3 million Filipinos massacred by US-employed mercenaries in the early 1900s? Why do all these history books sum up our early involvement with the Philippines as "we showed up and educated them in our civilized ways, and now the Philippines ROCK!"

Because the victors write the history books.

I could've (and probably should've) introduced the concepts on today's page with a little more elegance, but I've got a story to tell, and it's the story of Isaac and Eden, not necessarily Adam and Eve. Not yet, anyway. But I needed to lay down a little back story for what Isaac is going to do for the rest of this issue.

When you combine today's page with something Spook said about Hampstead in issue Three, and something Rainbow said in Issue Four, the line you make connecting these three dots points to something that I hope will be interesting.

As for the authenticity of the myths and religions I'll be touching upon in this comic, there are two questions I hope people will be asking at some point:

1. If what's written in these texts isn't true, why were they written that way? And, most importantly:

2. If what's written in these texts isn't true, then what really happened?
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Adam Black on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:15 am

I should also point out that this particular story concept is where this comic got derailed the first time.

Waaay back in the mid-90s when I did this comic the first time, the concepts on today's page are what caused my publisher and me to part ways.

So it's entirely possible that I'll be losing a shit-ton of readers by the time Issue Seven starts up. :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Losing readers? After Dan Brown (love him or hate him), maybe not, or at least not as many.

As for myself, as a veteran of Neil Gaiman's Sandman (the first year or so), Phillip Pullman (whose work I really don't like all that much), Karl E.Wagner (Kane), Gregory Widen (The Prophecy), Joss Whedon, and others, I'm interested in your take on these matters. I was, however, surprised to see old Metatron's name come up. He's not everyone's favorite Angel.
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 pm

I read the DaVinci Code, but didn't like it very much. Lots of potential there, but he dumbed it down for a wider audience. Which is smart, from a money-making point of view. I keep telling my wife that I should write some "everything you know about good and evil is true, except for one Big Twist, but it all resolves the way it should in the end and everyone lives happily ever after" novel, just to pay the bills. :wink:

I like Sandman, but stopped reading it when Preacher came around. I was going to go back to it, but found that the Lucifer spinoff was more entertaining.

I dig the hell out of the first two Prophecy flicks, because they turn a lot of "facts" on their ear. Didn't like the third one as much. The fourth one was fun--if it's the one with the Devil eating Twinkies and going toe-to-toe with Doug Bradley. I got a kick out of that.

Joss Whedon...I wasn't aware that he was doing anything with angels. The only stuff of his that I've followed is Firefly/Serenity. If it's Buffy you're talking about, I've never seen it. Didn't even like the movie all that much. I like my vampires more Deacon-Frost-from-Blade than Hip-Kids-from-Lost-Boys. That's Bela Lugosi's fault. I caught Dracula as a kid, and that set the tone for me.

As for Meittron--he's not Metatron, but that's probably where the name (and the myth) stem from. There's going to be a lot of that in this story. The rest of this issue will touch upon it, but it won't get going full-bore until later.

Monday's page is where I'm going to lose all my readers. :lol: If not then, then by the end of Issue Six for sure.
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raoullefere on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I know in most cases the film is better than the TV series, but in this case the movie is schlock. Whedon wrote the script, and then someone else took it over and did the usual Hollywood stupidities. The series and the spin-off, Angel, are much better than the unfortunate film. Whedon doesn't exactly have angels, but in the Angel spin-off we learn the world was once ruled by Demons with a capital D—the Ancient Old Ones. Angel himself struggles again some cosmic dudes 'left over' from that time who have since ascended and started a law firm, and is supposedly guided by the 'Powers that Be," which at least seem angelic. There's a definite mythology in place in the Buffyverse, one that gets fairly heavy at times.

Whedon's vampires are both cool kids and aren't, at least not to the Twilight/Vampire Diaries extent. If nothing else, the 'curse' part of things is more evident. There are more 'traditional' vampires, too—we get to see them in season seven (Apparently the 'modern' vampires are weaker, more diluted versions). I admit Buffy's comedy, but with a definite dark sense of humor. How many high school dramas have an episode where some of the students (none of them vampires, btw) eat their principal? If nothing else, you ought to try to see Hush (Season 4, episode 10). The 'Gentlemen' are a bit Spooklike.

I agree with you about the Prophecy, at least the first film. A ton of potential there—I love some of the visuals—but it never seemed to quite 'be all it could be,' if you know what I mean.

I could talk your ear off (so to speak) about what I think Dan Brown is 'up to' in the DaVinci code. Dumbing down is definitely part of it, but I'm not sure it's just for money. I suspect the point of getting a wider audience was just that—having a wider audience.

In any case, I await Monday with bated breath. Oh, and my bets are on Seth being the reincarnate, since he supposedly had the 'secrets' that became the Kabbalah. But we shall see (I hope, anyway).
raoullefere
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam Black on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 am

Damn, man, you nailed that Seth thing right away. Get outta my head! :lol:
Adam Black
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Locus