Today's Sporkman...

Dicks, dames, superheroes, and mad scientists - life is good!

Moderator: John T

Today's Sporkman...

Postby Arantor on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:42 am

Daft as it sounds, today's Sporkman has actually been one of the most intricate to implement in WordOwl, to get it to make sense when transcribed.

Still, the result was worth it, and I've been able to preserve the IM-ness of it, without breaking the underlying system (too much). If anyone's curious how the search engine will display this one: http://www.wordowl.com/doadvsearch.php? ... on&page=17
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Today's Sporkman...

Postby John T on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am

Wow, those panels ACTUALLY look like Google Talk windows. Impressive, sir. Most impressive.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks! (And I've never used Google Talk, so any similarity is actually more coincidental rather than intentional. It figures though that they'd use something like that as it's clean to implement and not heavy on HTML)

This is one of the many things I love about doing WordOwl; every so often there is a strip I can recreate very well in WordOwl that resembles the original nicely.

That was the original point of the 4-panel layout, but it definitely works better with some strips rather than others, but this one is where it worked just right.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mister Munshun on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 am

Would you believe I was listening to the moon music RIGHT BEFORE I checked Sporkman?
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Mister Munshun wrote:Would you believe I was listening to the moon music RIGHT BEFORE I checked Sporkman?

Hells yeah, boy-ee! God, I love that tune.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I missed out; I never had a NES, I had a Spectrum and then an Amiga 500, but some seriously kick-ass tunes on that. I still play some of them via the magic of XMPlay and a nice plugin.

When I think of music and Sporkman, I'm always remembering Rocket Man by Elton John, for the 'first' strip (2004 archive)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm

I had (and still have, actually) pretty much every console from the NES up, with few exceptions. I actually spent my early years rocking an Atari 5200 before scoring the NES. In any event, the soundtrack of Sporkman in my mind is totally 8-Bit. I dream of a pixelized 8-Bit sidescroller with Sporkman in it.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:13 am

I'm sure such a game could be written, and probably arranged to make it look 8-bit.

And today's strip... I'm just about to transcribe it. I did say I liked a challenge, I suppose... :) but yes I can transcribe a strip with little or no text in it. *invokes the mighty ritual Dez-Krypt'shun.*
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:31 am

And today's one is in COLOUR!

Just when I think I have a handle on things, you mix it up a little - well played, sir!!!
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Flat Feet & High Heels