Old comics via the IA

Dicks, dames, superheroes, and mad scientists - life is good!

Moderator: John T

Old comics via the IA

Postby Arantor on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 am

Hey,
Just responding to the challenge of today's Sporkman commentary.

I found the links easily enough but it seems the IA didn't catch much of the pictures therein. Shame really. I'd liked to have seen more of the earlier stuff.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Old comics via the IA

Postby John T on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:01 am

Mwa ha ha! VICTORY TO ME!

Actually, the two strips referenced (me and Meaghan's "Vigilante Ho" and her own "Eat the Roses" are really worth seeing. ETR is actually still online, but VH had the domain expire and I could never get in touch with Meaghan to renew it. Too bad too, as VH was turning out to be probably the best (if not most well reviewed thing) I've ever done.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 am

Wouldn't say it was victory, more a draw perhaps... ;) I can't help not having a portable time machine handy.

Though if I did, just imagine what havoc I could wreak with it...
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mister Munshun on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 am

God I loved Vigilante Ho. And screw anyone who gave it bad reviews. That comic rocked.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:39 am

I am strongly thinking about setting up some kind of historical archive - like the IA - but strictly for comics. (And of course... WordOwl would be able to use the archived version to, kinda like Google's Cached Pages)

Is this worth doing, do you think?

An "Internet Comic Archive"?
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 am

Munshun: I worded that wrong. VH was actually my BEST reviewed comic ever. Some might even call it "critically acclaimed."

Now, as for an "internet comic archive," you'd probably run into a lot of copyright problems. Most webcartoonists are very protective of their work, and if they took something offline, they probably had a reason for it.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mister Munshun on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:54 am

John T wrote:Munshun: I worded that wrong. VH was actually my BEST reviewed comic ever. Some might even call it "critically acclaimed."

That makes me feel better. It's a shame VH petered out.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:11 am

I think FF&HH will be due for some critical acclaim before long. I've pimped it a bit this week, but I really must get round to posting articles elsewhere on the intarwebs to pimp the comic.

Re copyright, I'd take the same view as I did with WordOwl, and obtain permission. In many cases that'd be necessary as I'd personally want to archive not only the strips, but also the site to go with it as far as was reasonable/practical.

But as we've talked about before, they may well have had good reason to remove it. There are hundreds of reasons; I know there is tons of stuff I used to have up in various places, however I removed it because I didn't have the time and energy to maintain it or write anything new. But if the situation arose whereby I could get it online again I might think about it, but right now it's not doable.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am

Mister Munshun wrote:
John T wrote:Munshun: I worded that wrong. VH was actually my BEST reviewed comic ever. Some might even call it "critically acclaimed."

That makes me feel better. It's a shame VH petered out.

A SERIOUS shame. Meaghan kicks ass and my writing was shockingly okay. It was also a nice change of pace to write for. SIGH.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mister Munshun on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 pm

I can't remember any of the character's names, but the redhead Scottish chick from VH? Yeah. She was awesome.
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lolsworth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 am

Vigilante, Ho! always ruled, but it was when I figured out the pun in the title that really cemented it.
Lolsworth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby John T on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:18 pm

That title was almost an accident too. I know Megs came up with it, but it was completely random. Originally, the title was some lame shit like "The Legend of the Typhoon Kid" or something, and T. Campbell (our editor at GraphicSmash) was like, "That title sucks. Think of something else." So Megs whipped up the punnery over an IM conversation that night.

(sigh) I miss that comic.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Return to Flat Feet & High Heels