New Art

Dicks, dames, superheroes, and mad scientists - life is good!

Moderator: John T

New Art

Postby Thaklaar on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 pm

The thin lines certainly don't look bad. It was shocking in that it doesn't look like Troutman's Art as I'm used to seeing it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It might just be the particular backgrounds today, but it mostly looked shockingly bright to me. The chunkier line art gave it a bit darker, more noirish of a feel IMO.
Thaklaar
Junior Keenspotter

Re: New Art

Postby Arantor on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:10 am

Yeah, it does look visibly brighter, but maybe it is just the colours. It did have a different feel to it; for some reason I was just having a feeling of Mallrats/Chasing Amy while reading the strip, but I have no idea why.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am

Thanks for the feedback! I certainly hope you DO get used to it, 'cause I like it a lot more. And without all the ink, things brightened up considerably, yes. However, I consider that an improvement, as brighter comics are more pleasing and likely to catch the eye. Plus, the thinner lines don't look nearly as messy and allow for a lot more detail. I think if I took a poll of folks and set the first comic of this week and today's comic right next to each other on a page, they'd choose today's comic based solely on the art.

That said, I could understand where you're coming from with the "darker = noir" thing. Though I'd argue that my comic, while having detectives in it, was never very noirish to begin with. ;)

EDIT: There was a typo in my code for the commentary on today's comic that cut out a paragraph of my useless prattle. If you care a lot, I just fixed it.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mister Munshun on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 am

I like the new lines, although I never really had any problems with the old look.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mister Munshun on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:28 am

I must say, the past week's worth of strips, including this Monday's, the art has looked FANTASTIC. Amanda has especially looked good, and the closeup of Felicity on Friday's strip was damn realistic.

Nice job all around.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Thanks! Like any webcomic web, it steadily improves with time. At its core, my art is largely realistic, in a comic booky way. I see my characters as real people that I'm more or less just caricaturing. I know precisely what they look like as human beings (I just frequently fail to convey that information or stay consistent in the comic itself).
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Return to Flat Feet & High Heels