Today's strips...

Dicks, dames, superheroes, and mad scientists - life is good!

Moderator: John T

Today's strips...

Postby Arantor on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:03 am

Any chance we can see the full check from today's FF&HH strip? Just 'cause I'm nosy, really...

Also, not that I'm speaking from my own personal opinion, but I am assured that gynecologists in the UK don't work quite like Dr Smith is... standard operating procedure here is only to remove the clothes that get in the way, not all of them. As presumably Mary Elizabeth's been to a doctor like this before, Dr Smith getting her naked is also presumably standard practice? (Nosy and picky!! One could even suggest I pick my nose from that...)

Also also, in today's Sporkman, does the scientist dude have a name other than "Scientist"? When I upload today's update, he's listed as Scientist for now as I don't think I've seen him in the archive.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Today's strips...

Postby John T on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:23 am

The thing I found out most while researching gynecology (yes, I actually researched it , sadly) is that the lady loses all her clothes except her socks. Because socks are of DEADLY IMPORTANCE.

And the scientist in today's Sporkman is Dr. Wily. DUH. ;)
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 am

I like the fact that the comic was researched; for a comic more aimed at realism (as opposed to existing in a world incorporating comic physics laws!), it does show.

As I said, I can only go on what my partner assured me, but I guess UK practice may be slightly different? I don't know. Either way, I'm just zis guy, you know? (Congratulations to the probably 2 people out there who get the joke)

Personally I thought getting naked was part of the deal, but hey, I wouldn't know myself. Though I can attest that socks are mystical things. Well, mine are, anyway.

As for Dr. Wily, I'd never seen Mega Man before - partly because my parents never let me grow up with any kind of console - so I didn't recognise him. Wikipedia did of course give me all the details, so now I get the joke properly! Needless to say, WordOwl has been updated with the correct name...

Keep up the comic goodness!

(I swear I should come up with a proper catchphrase that befits comics one of these days. Something that's a cross between "...by the power of Grayskull!" and "Thundercats, ho!" and not lame either.)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14 am

Oh, wow, I'm so sorry - Mega Man was an essential part of my childhood. MM2 and MM3 on the NES were seminal moments of my youth. Actually, when I first created Sporkman in junior high, he was designed as a Mega Man-style robot master (the tiny drawing on today's strip is more or less accurate to that design).
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mister Munshun on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:48 am

Not that I have any business poking my nose in this, but...

I played the first NES Mega Man just recently, to see what it was all about. That's pretty much it, game-wise. However, I DID end up watching the Mega Man cartoon a few times as a kid, and really enjoyed it.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:50 am

The first NES game, while fun, is pretty weak in comparison to the golden cattle that are MM2 and MM3. They get the most praise (and rightfully so).
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Return to Flat Feet & High Heels