See? Felicity. Told ya so.

Dicks, dames, superheroes, and mad scientists - life is good!

Moderator: John T

See? Felicity. Told ya so.

Postby John T on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:00 pm

There. Felicity showed up. Happy now?

I should've mentioned this on the front page, and I'm too lazy to edit it now, but Felicity's appearance in the last panel is an homage to the first ever Felicity fanart I received, shortly after I'd created the character back in January 2003. It's by Meaghan Quinn, one of my bestest friends who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I've attached it to this post for your edification.

This art pretty much defined how I'd draw Felicity for the rest of forever and solidified the "default" Felicity outfit. Clearly, I'm a sucker for nostalgia.
Attachments
00010dh9.jpg
00010dh9.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Re: See? Felicity. Told ya so.

Postby Mister Munshun on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Oh GOD yes!! An already great comic just improved 500%. Please keep this up.

Also, is that the bestest outfit ever? I'm thinking yes.

It's a shame about your old stuff. The solo Felicity comic was one of my all time favorites, and I'd REALLY love to read it, and all the others, again.

Oh well... The new stuff top notch.
Mike: "How come you're so evil?" Pearl: "I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
Mister Munshun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arantor on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 am

Well, the domain secretagentgirl.org would need to be renewed, or it'd have to move somewhere else. Is it likely to make a return, even an on-hiatus one?

I also find it interesting how she has hardly changed in appearance from her appearance in Sporkman to here, but I guess that's the joy of the even earlier fanart. It holds up great!
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:04 am

In every comic, I introduce her in the same outfit for the sake of nostalgia, hence her look remaining static at points. She's the only character (besides Sporkman, I guess) that has a "default" outfit sometimes.

The Felicity archives could possibly come back sometime, but I actually find some of it embarassing, more so that other strips. It was just a little TOO over-the-top sometimes. Also, it makes no sense now in current continuity. But it was fun, and Meaghan drew part of it, which is awesome. I'll perhaps archive it someday, when I'm less self-conscious.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 pm

Unfortunately I didn't see Felicity before, but having seen Sporkman and Flat Feet & High Heels, there is a part of me that almost wants to boldly ask what could be 'over the top.'

At the end of the day, you have to do what you're comfortable with, and no-one can ask more than that of you.

I have to say though, that having seem some of the other comics out there (and even one particular comic covered on WordOwl...) that the webcomic world has its fair share of 'over the top', so being honest I think there's still a place for 'over the top' comics to join.

A few weeks ago I went on a comic-hunting expedition, and my final list was 229 different webcomics I know about. And that's not going through the list on Oh No Robot. But what I found was that there aren't many comics that are actually 'over the top'. Put it this way, I only found 1 comic out of that list that I wouldn't be comfortable adding on WordOwl - I'm not easily offended but this was really over the top.

I should point out that one of the comics available through WordOwl has received hate mail in the past, and another I want to add rates itself as 16+, so perhaps my definitions are a little generous...

BTW, glad to see the RSS feed is up.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby John T on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Well, over-the-top has its place. I wouldn't consider Sporkman UNDER the top. But it's goofy like that on purpose with an art style to match. Felicity just pushed it too far (IMO) for what I wanted to do. It really actually just had me pushing the lesbian aspect too hard to the point at which it was just embarassing. I was... young.

But it's mostly not online just because it doesn't jive with current continuity. I suppose if I tweaked some word bubbles here and there, I could actually put it back up. But it's low priority.

EDIT: Also, my art on it sucked.
John S. Troutman
John T
Keenspot Despot

Return to Flat Feet & High Heels