New book vol. 9

Finally, a comic that shows what cats are really like.

Moderators: Takhisis, jameslgrant

New book vol. 9

Postby youngl on Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 am

Yayyyyyyy--just placed my order for Hooray--I'm Evil!
youngl
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: New book vol. 9

Postby Lumpi on Thu May 16, 2013 4:24 am

Got my copy yesterday. Printed in Germany by amazon themselves. I was wondering how they could ship this so fast after the american release date. Normally it takes up to 2-3 weeks.
The cat content is awesome as usual. And now i know what "17% bigger" means. Books in a larger format are nice, no doubt. But am i wrong with my impression that this additional space is just filled with white space? In addition to this, #9 looks a little bit out of place on the shelf with the other 8 volumes. The format of this #9 is a little bit sub-optimal.
Anyway, love your lumps. Keep up drawing :)
Lumpi
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ladysephiroth on Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 am

Gotta agree with Lumpi here ... I love the content but it just doesn't look like it belongs in the set anymore... and it doesn't even fit on the shelf with the rest of then!!! (I keep my books organized partly by size.)

I'll love it and keep it but can we maybe go back to the other size for book 10, (and maybe even reprint this one in the smaller size for us OCD types??)
ladysephiroth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jameslgrant on Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Sadly/happily, the times, they are a changin'.

Our previous publisher made the books in a custom size that is not available on Createspace. He also went through a printer that, if you compare the interior art side by side with the older issues, was a more coarse resolution. Book 9 is still greyscale halftoned, but the DPI is a much, much finer resolution.

Stonegarden will be shuttering their doors this fall, so we are moving all prior 8 books to the larger format on Createspace. I do apologize that this means the books will be a different size than before - but, it should be noted, many comics collections suffer from this when they change print companies. You sometimes end up with collections that have a different size for each book. Examples sitting in our bookshelf right now: Foxtrot, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Bloom County. Just how it goes sometimes. However, I CAN state that once we have all the books on Createspace, they will not shift size again from 8.5 x 11", for the forseeable future.

If you're really OCD about it, as some people are, you can buy all 8 books in the larger format. Then pack away the original printings as collectors' items! Or Ebay them.

Cheers!
J
jameslgrant
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lumpi on Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 am

Hello James,
jameslgrant wrote:Sadly/happily, the times, they are a changin'.
Our previous publisher made the books in a custom size that is not available on Createspace. [...] but, it should be noted, many comics collections suffer from this when they change print companies. You sometimes end up with collections that have a different size for each book. Examples sitting in our bookshelf right now: Foxtrot, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Bloom County. Just how it goes sometimes. However, I CAN state that once we have all the books on Createspace, they will not shift size again from 8.5 x 11", for the forseeable future.
thanks for the explanation. I didnt know that Stonegarden used a non-common format. Comics here in Germany have different sizes anyway.
jameslgrant wrote:If you're really OCD about it, as some people are, you can buy all 8 books in the larger format. Then pack away the original printings as collectors' items! Or Ebay them.
I just looked that up in the urban dictionary and ran a quick diagnostic: i'm quite happy that i neither have an 'occasional cunt disorder' nor this widely spread obsessive thing with a bunch of alarming phobias :D

Bests,
Thomas
Lumpi
Junior Keenspotter

Postby youngl on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 am

Will the new publisher make color printing a financially feasible option?
youngl
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Two Lumps