RIP Caramon

Finally, a comic that shows what cats are really like.

Moderators: Takhisis, jameslgrant

Re: RIP Caramon

Postby *~Kitty~* on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:10 pm

First time posting in this particular forum, but I had to give condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our animal family members are never with us long enough and while the time you had with Caramon was too short (and apparently a little violent ;) ) you have the wonderful gift and talent of helping him live on through Snooch. My sister and I will keep you in our thoughts and I hope that in your time of grief you will be able to find the happy memories and look back with a warm heart.

RIP Caramon, none shall sail the carpet ship like you did.
*~Kitty~*
Keenspot Despot

Postby wodandieus on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:35 am

You could say 'twelve years is a good run for a cat'. Especially one that was loved and cared for.
But it's not enough. Mortality sucks.

I'm not a regular here. But have read the comic with anticipation for the next since its inception. I just wanted to offer my condolences.

Rest in Peace Caramon.
wodandieus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Boojie on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:29 am

It's weird, being a complete stranger, yet feeling as though a dear and near family member has passed away - my own 12-year-old-fat-and-not-too-bright cat died of renal failure less than a year ago, and reading about it was so very familiar.
So sorry the death of Caramon, and sincere condolences to those who loved him and served him (gooshyfood). May the way he so wonderfully inspired the character of snooch truly immortalize him as he rightly deserves.
Boojie
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Boojie on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:32 am

It's weird, being a complete stranger, yet feeling as though a dear and near family member has passed away - my own 12-year-old-fat-and-not-too-bright cat died of renal failure less than a year ago, and reading about it was so very familiar.
So sorry the death of Caramon, and sincere condolences to those who loved him and served him (gooshyfood). May the way he so wonderfully inspired the character of snooch truly immortalize him as he rightly deserves.
Boojie
Junior Keenspotter

Postby squeeble on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:34 am

My little Russian Blue, Vasili Catsev Thunderpaw Bryson, who is currently at the vet with an unknown digestive problem, wishes me to say a few words to Caramon on his behalf.

Farewell my comrade, my most distant of brothers,
your kind all salute you, and remember you well.
Our owners' amusement licked us warm like our mothers,
and your stories are told, for their children to tell.

The place you have snuck to, we all one day follow,
though our families love us, as your family, you.
So now none show surprise at your family's sorrow,
for what they've lost, we've all lost, a proud Russian Blue.

- William Bryson
squeeble
Junior Keenspotter

Postby grizzler on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:47 am

So sad. My condolences. I've followed the adventures of E & S almost from the very beginning and the memorial on the comic's page brought back some memories...

I lost my favorite cat - a little black devil called Gompie, who had a Russian Blue as a grandfather - years ago, less than a month before her twentieth birthday. She too died of kidney failure. We never saw it coming until a couple of days before the end. She didn't seem to be in any pain before that (no way to be sure of course - don't you just hate that...?). Surprisingly lively and enterprising at her old age, would always come to greet me when I came home from work. Still miss her. I know what you're going through...
grizzler
Junior Keenspotter

Postby fuzzybeard2016 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:11 am

wodandieus wrote: Mortality sucks.

Immortality on this plane would suck even worse. Imagine being caught in you own personal version of "Groundhog Day"; but never being able to escape it. *shiver*

wodandieus wrote:Rest in Peace Caramon.

Amen, and pass the catnip! :okthen:
"Sometimes you have the fun, sometimes the fun has you."

-Schlock Mercenary
fuzzybeard2016
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Podling on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:19 am

Like so many PPs, I've registered just to tell you how sorry I am to hear of Caramon's death; I've been reading Two Lumps for quite a while now, and really really enjoy the comic. No matter how many cats one has had, I don't think losing one ever gets any easier . . . I dread the day when one of my current two goes into her final illness, as much for the sake of the cat left behind as for my husband's and my own grief. I hope Raistlin is doing all right, though I'd bet he's a bit confused and upset.

I am very glad to hear that Snooch will stay in the comic--though you can't really cuddle or pet a drawing, sorrow can be softened by love and memories.
Servant to the Feline Overlords Buttercup and Zwei Harlequin (aka "Beastie")
Podling
Junior Keenspotter

Postby novawolf7 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 am

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time. Please know that Caramon is happy and healthy and will be waiting for you on the Bridge. My feline masters agree he will be greatly missed. Thank you for taking such good care of him and giving him such a great life.

-Nova
novawolf7
Junior Keenspotter

Postby FAC33 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Another first-timer here.

Amongst my five felines are a pair of catgirls, Eleanor and Victoria, that I always thought might have suited the boys well. Eleanor, who was probably Caramon's type, is here on the desk being the captain of the wireless modem ship (although she does that without vodka). They, and I, send our condolences. I have never seen a strip get quite so into how I imagine the feline mind must work as Two Lumps. I can't quite look at my stuffed Snooch the same way any more, though.
FAC33
Junior Keenspotter

Postby pienapp1e on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:00 pm

while realizing it in no way diminishes the pain, my condolences to all of you. empathy and sympathy when impotent is lousy, and losing a friend is the worst. i cried a long time reading this, although i'm glad he died peacefully and the center of attention. Here's hoping he is drinking all the alcohol he's ever spilt, licking all the birds, and getting all the bellyrubbings. and ty for all the laughs and insights.
pienapp1e
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ThePoet444 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Sail on great Captain, sail on.

Registered just to send my condolences. I'll be having a few shots of vodka in caramon's honor.

I've loved "Two lumps" for a good couple of years now, and I'm very glad it will continue. Snooch is indeed the perfect way for Caramon to live forever. We honor your love and dedication to your "children" and your strip. Please keep the faith!
ThePoet444
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Zycomancer on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm

It saddens me to hear of the passing of the household overlord. My sincerest condolenses, it's always hard to lose a long welcomed and warmly loved pet. While tears pass for your loss now, your cat has inspired a comic that has brought me hours of laughter and no life could be greater then the one that inspires, and brings joy to the world.

Hugs.
Sincerly
Zoey Manaveil
Zycomancer
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CatofUlthar on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:00 am

A cat dying is always so sad for the family he lived in. This cat had an enormous extended family through his beloved internets. My sincere condolences to the three of you. Have a sweet journey to your afterlife, beloved Captain of the Carpet Ship.
CatofUlthar
Junior Keenspotter

Postby texasred on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 am

Mel, J

We will see you at Anime-Fest. Sara wants to give hugs. We will, of course, be wearing our "too much coffee" shirts.

Thank you so much for keeping Caramon immortal through Snooch. But believe me when I say we'd understand a hiatus for a while.

Our sincerest condolences.

John, and Sara.
texasred
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Revin on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Having lost a cat to old age, and another to Kidney Failure, I know it isn't easy. My thought are with you, "Mom", and Raistlin during this difficult time, and may Caramon live on in our hearts and minds.

RIP.
Revin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TEnglish319 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 pm

My condolences. I lost my cat Paisley in 2004. I think about her a lot. I am thankful for the love and companionship we had for 10 years. Cherish the memories.
TEnglish319
Junior Keenspotter

Postby LadyRose88 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Caramon's passing. I recently had to see my sister's cat put down who's been with us for 11 years. *hugs for all* i hope you all are coping well.
LadyRose88
Junior Keenspotter

Postby mkf0020 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. His antics amused me during many a long work day and reminded me of my own fat cat waiting impatiently at home. Thank you for sharing him with us.
mkf0020
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Anaki on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:48 pm

My cat of 17 years, Pumpkin, is currently wrapped in a towel in my father's arms, meowing her last night away. It is sad to watch any family member go, no matter how many legs they have (or how much they like you lol). My heart goes out to you, Mel, and most especially to Raistlin.
Anaki
Junior Keenspotter

Postby peachytaru on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:02 pm

*hugs tight* Been following your strip for awhile now.... Quite saddened to hear about Caramon ;_;
Wish the remaining 3 of you a long time together, still to come...
peachytaru
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Willowren on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:49 pm

I registered after hearing about Caramon. I have been reading Two Lumps for several months now, and it has always brought a smile to my face. I'm so sorry to hear about Snooch's counterpart. I lost my little Jasmine On July 22nd.

This was my little baby girl. She was never a large kitty, nine pounds was her largest and she was just six years old. I took Jasmine to the vet the Tuesday of that terrible week because she would no longer eat and I was seeing her wasting away. She had been vomiting for a few months, but cats just seem to do that a lot and by the look of her vomit, It just seemed she was eating too fast. You know something is seriously wrong when the vetranarian starts feeling around on your kitty's tummy and saying: "Uh oh, uh oh, what's this?" One thing I have to say about my vet is that though he's an excellent doctor and takes very good care of the animals, his bedside manner sucks. He gave me two other options before I put the third together. Exploratory surgery was the only move to make, because whatever mass had lodged itself would have to come out anyway.

The next day just before noon I got the worst news I could have thought of. Jasmine's digestive system had been attacked by acute and agressive pancreatic cancer. The vet said that her digestive tract was unrecognizable, and my now seven and a half pound cat was more tumor than kitty. From her pancreas to her bladder was mass after mass, and the reason she wasn't eating anymore was because there was a tumor in her stomach the size of the vet's fist, which is pretty darn big. So I did the only thing I could do and gave him the go ahead to put my sweet little Jasmine down. I had to return to work and was a mess the entire day, just wanting to go home and give my baby a proper burial. My dad had, under duress from me, gone to the vet and picked up her remains and put her in the truck where I could get to her. I skipped college class that night and put her to rest. I know just how much it hurts to catch something fatal far too late, though by as agressive as her cancer seems to have been, there was nothing I could have done for her. I thankfully caught it just when she was starting to slow down from it.

My Jasmine was a rescue kitten from my local animal control where my middle brother worked. The day after I adopted her, he told me that all of her brothers and sisters had been put to sleep because their time was up. I literally snatched her from the jaws. She was a good cat and though she took numerous excursions outside much to my distress and worry, as she was declawed in the front, I loved the little brat. I'll always remember how she used to answer me when I called her and the time she met me halfway at the door step and flopped onto her back as if to say "You know you can't be mad at me, I'm too cute". Or the little dog flea medicine incident that probably took a few lives right there. My mother put dog flea medicine on my cat thinking it was a kind that could be used on both. Long story short, It resulted in my cat almost dying.

She was seizing in front of the Bathroom when I called the vet, read off an ingredient and he said. "Yep, that kills cats." WONDERFUL bedside manner, I tell you. So when I asked him if there was anything I could do about it, he told me to give her a bath and to keep her calm. ". . . since WHEN does bath and calm cat mix?!" By the time I was done with the bath, Jasmine was not only twitching, but making strange noises, and I was hysterical.I put her in the dog cage so she wouldn't try to jump around and this is how stoned she was...she was staring at the bars, eyes dilated, slowly pawing at them as if she could see them, but wasn't sure they were really there. So I called up my vet again, and before long I was driving down to the clinic still in my nightgown at 11: 30 at night with a convulsing cat in the passenger's side seat. The vet met me, taped her paws together, put a tube down her stomach and put charcoal in it to absorb the toxins. He kept her until about six the next day. Surprisingly, and my gratitude goes to my vet, the bill was only $55.00 after an emergency visit like that. When the assistant handed her back to me that day, she climbed into my arms and snuggled me close. I really knew my baby loved me. Some cats don't really show affection, but she would come up and rub her whiskers against my cheek and give me little nose pushes. She was always really good for the vet too. She would fuss at me all the way there in the car, but never offered to get under my feet or distract me, and when we arrived at the vet that last time, she put her soft little rabbit fur paws on the dashboard, looked at the building, looked at me, and climbed into my lap to go in. She allowed the vet to tape her front paws once again, and tie her back leg down under the table and shave it, all without complaint. The only complaint she gave was when he was drawing the blood for the lukemia test, and all she did was fuss a bit, no fight. I gave her a little kiss on the top of her head before she disappeared into the cage and the assistant assured me she would be all right, but I think that the vet knew better already. That was the last time I saw her. When I got her back she was in a black plastic bag, and it would have been unwise to look. There was a little poem that the vet sent me after Jasmine's passing, and I thought I would share it now:

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

~~~~

I'm so sorry about Caramon, and I know that he left a great big, chunky void in your life when he passed. I wish I had been able to have been with my little Jazzy when the time came and I'm glad that you could be there for the obviously loved and missed Caramon. My best wishes are with you.

The way I chose to keep my Jasmine's memory alive was laying her to rest at the side of the barn where she liked to skulk about when she managed to escape the house and I put a stone tablet with a poem called the Reunion heart on it. I also wanted to adopt a kitten and save it like I did Jasmine, but still living with my parents, my mother said no more cats. I do now have Kayley, an austrailian sheperd lab mix , or that's what the vet thinks she is. She was rescued from the side of a road, dumped just at weaning age along with two siblings. Some people are such lazy cowards.

Sorry for rambling so much, it's still a pretty raw wound for me too. I'd like to close this overly long post with saying that if anyone here wants to adopt a cat, your local Animal control is the best place to go. They always have far too many due to the lack of birth control of strays, and you really are saving a life. They will love you for it forever..in their imperious little ways.
Willowren
Junior Keenspotter

Postby majnen on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Just wanted to add my voice of condolences.

I've been reading since some time shortly after the beginning, and having just recently lost an 18 year old cat myself, I know full well the sadness. :(
majnen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby majnen on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Just wanted to add my voice of condolences.

I've been reading since some time shortly after the beginning, and having just recently lost an 18 year old cat myself, I know full well the sadness. :(
majnen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DenverRed on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 pm

He will be missed by so many of us. Having lost a dear old friend myself last October, I wish I had magic words of condolence for you. I don't, beyond the fact that your strips undeniably grants the old man a special kind of immortality. We should all be so lucky!
Take care. You and yours are in my prayers.
DenverRed
Junior Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Two Lumps