Ask me something

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Ask me something

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:46 pm

A heck of a lot better, I hope.

Miriam would look more like a Miriam that people would recognize, the perspective (esp. in the second panel) wouldn't look as wonky, and there would be at least minimalist backgrounds so that it didn't look as if the car were flying through the void.

That was painful.

I was still learning how to draw then. Actually, I'm still learning how to draw now but the differences between my drawing today and drawing 1-2 years ago are subtle; in the early years there might be radical differences from strip to strip and even from panel to panel.

Thanks for sticking with me. I'll figure this out yet.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Hmmm. You know, it just occurred to me that I never finished my fan fiction piece, "The Case of the Mystery Wedding," from Wednesday, June 13th, 2007, at 3:50 p.m. I wonder if I should revisit this piece or should I simply leave the piece in peace? I'm really not sure if I can find peace if I never finish the piece. I mean a book with half a chapter - is it really a book at all? Might we consider that which was left unsaid to fill the blank pages of a book and therefore proclaim it to be finished? The fact that this piece exists at all is seriously a possible threat to my ultimate peace of mind. What I am asking is this: Is that piece complete as is or is it a piece of a piece if a further piece is not added to the pie? If you think it would be of some consequence and merit, perhaps I will add to the piece or simply create another piece. This will therefore become a book of pieces or a piece of a book. This being so, I am not sure anyone will ever consider the book to be anything but a book of mere shards or fragments of a book. Perhaps scholars will mistake it for ancient papyrus in the process. Truthfully, I feel I am being called to finish and/or add to the piece. If there is no comment to this piece, I will depart in peace while a piece of my mindful engagement will perhaps remain on this forum. Eureka! Yes, I think I will perhaps finish the piece!!
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm not a fan fiction fan myself, but that's me. Is there a question in there that you would like me to answer? Or were they all rhetorical?
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 am

Yes, there was a question in there. When are you going to restore your User Avatar? Or do you not intend to do so?
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:24 am

Did I have one before? I don't remember. If so, what did it look like?
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, you did. I think it was a pic of Miriam. I believe it was the pic that used to advertise the site.

BTW: I know this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but would you mind terribly much if I wrote a sequel to "The Case of the Mystery Wedding?"
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Creating characters—easy.
Writing a story—hard.

My question to fan fiction writers is, if you have the creativity and the dedication to write a whole story, why don't you just make up your own characters too? You're skipping the easiest part (it's the funnest part too) and going straight to the drudgery. Makes no sense to me.

Would I mind if you wrote something using my characters? It wouldn't ruin my day. I'm not one to get bent out of shape over something like that. But since you asked my opinion, if you're going to spend the time it takes to craft a story, I think you'd be better served by putting in just a little bit of extra effort to come up with your own original characters. In the end, I predict you'll find the end result more satisfying.

But, do what you want. I have no enforceable authority here.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I thank you kindly for the words of experienced-based wisdom doubtlessly derived from multiple sets of brainy bracketed pen and ink patterns. In considering a Wedding Mystery sequel, I couldn't help but consider characters who do not reside within the Outer Universe of There :oops: but who seemingly simply appeared as if out of No Where. If I were to develop this more fully, the OT personae may perhaps cease to appear whilst the Non-OT inhabitants commence to appear. In fact, I think I've entered into another Universe - the NOnOT sHpere :gonk: . The Queerest Yet which I'd previously not imagined or noted.

My capped head is in a bulging knot and I am fully gratitudinous!! Thank you.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby diddledop on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:05 am

Okay, I finished the story. It's out of my system.

And, incidentally, I've been reweighing my evaluation of the numerous functions, forms and purposes of Fan Fiction. It would be egregious to ask for the use of images and perhaps, it is also so to ask for manipulations of character content, maybe even substance via some other story line. Fan Fiction could both steal and destroy the intellectual property and terrain of the original author.

I think fan fiction is really all about relationships. I want to see Miriam hook up with a zombified fat half-asleep Poker Player who possesses no awareness of her. Fan fiction is the only route to there.

Otherwise, I go in peace. I now understand and have reversed my course. I can never know me unless I conjure "me" in my hoarse and hoary confabulations. To my beloved Hollyhock, I grow old without you and write like this because the gap you filled is emptied. Continents shift sometimes; dead memories appear alive sometimes. Sometimes I sleep; sometimes I purport to dream.

All these words - they are just me dreaming.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Magicwarlock90 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey, longtime reader here, but first time to the forum. Quick question: How did the character of James come to be, and how much planning went in to him?
Magicwarlock90
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 am

Not much thought went into him initially. I needed a roommate for Chuck, some kind of "foil" for him, and there was James. Before long I found I didn't much like James because he wasn't very well-rounded (not to mention the fact that he wasn’t particularly likable); I thought about dropping him but I realized all I really needed to do was put some more effort into making him more complex and interesting. I think I’ve succeeded somewhat; at least I like him now.

It's always a goal to make each character unique, human, and interesting... it's harder to do with the ones I don't use as often. James was one character who suffered a bit from underexposure during the first year or so of the strip.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Magicwarlock90 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:19 am

Ah, I see. I think you've done quite the job in making the characters unique and realistic, honestly. James was one of the characters who eventually grew on me after a little more exposure and depth, so I enjoy knowing a bit about how he came to be.

I also have another question: Are some character simply difficult to write for? I'm not the most eloquent guy around, so finding the right thing for these characters to say and think sounds like quite a task.
Magicwarlock90
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 am

John has been by far the most difficult to write, probably because he’s the least realistic, in my view—I mean, nobody’s that good. It’s always a challenge to keep him from sounding self-righteous. If he didn’t have that wry sense of humor and the ability to turn a phrase, he’d be insufferable. Chuck is a bit of a challenge as well, for the same reason—he’s a little too “good”, and it’s tough to make him sound real.

The rest of the characters are easy to write because they’re all at least as flawed and worthless as their Author.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Hey! :)

I forgot to ask my friend who went to Comic-Con to stop by and get me a book and signature from you! :( She probably passed by and didn't know how awesome of a something she was just passing by!

How far ahead in your schedule do you know of being in a place where it's not creepy to show up and ask you for an autograph and get a book? Haha. I'm not really up on all the cons and get togethers and such, but if there's ever one in the Northwest... :)

Also, how far ahead in the lives of your characters do you know? Like, do you know and giggle evilly about things we want to know now and won't tell us until years ahead? Haha.
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Hey, welcome back.

I only go to local (Southern California) cons. I’d have to be making a lot more money than I am now to consider going to any con that requires me to hop on a plane. Anyone know where I can get about 15,000 more regular readers?

I know some things that are going to happen years ahead of time... but sometimes I change my mind. I’ll have plans to do this or that with a certain character, and then I’ll do something else with some other character, and it changes what I want to do with the other character. So some of this is meticulously planned out months or even years in advance, and some of it is completely subject to whim. Right now I’m working (writing) about 10-12 weeks ahead of schedule, and while I have some things planned for the distant future that I haven’t written yet, I have no idea what’s going to happen, say, 13 weeks from now. It might change everything.

I don’t giggle evilly but I do find it interesting when people speculate and are wildly off—I also find it interesting when they guess exactly what’s going to happen. The former happens more than the latter, but the latter happens often enough that I find myself looking around every corner for spies. They’ve got to be around here someplace.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

That makes sense, because that's what I would do is only go to things that are local, haha. I have been frequently in Southern California... My boyfriend is stationed down there at Camp Pendleton, but never at the right time when there's something going on. He'll also only be there for a few more months (Hooray!) so I doubt I'll be around for anything else around there when it actually happens, shucks. Just going to be there once more in a few months to help him move up here.

Nah, no spies! ...Just don't swat any of my nano techno- I mean, flies. :)
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serge Stiles on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 am

Do you live anywhere near Camp Pendleton? :)
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

It's about 80 miles away. Right around halfway between where I live and San Diego.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

Oh! Cool. :) I have become familiar with that area the past year because my significant other is a Marine, haha. So I like it when I actually am familiar with an area where someone awesome lives when they tell me where! (That someone awesome being you!)

Now for your exact coordinates.

Haha, kidding.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Serge Stiles wrote:Now for your exact coordinates.

Haha, kidding.

Aww. I thought I was about to set the World Record for Most Boring Person Ever Stalked.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:09 pm

rcmonroe wrote:
Serge Stiles wrote:Now for your exact coordinates.

Haha, kidding.

Aww. I thought I was about to set the World Record for Most Boring Person Ever Stalked.

Hmm, this could be good. I could become the first person to make the book I Stalked The Most Boring Person Ever, complete with photos of you doing exciting things such as... making coffee and/or tea, drawing something we can't even see, checking the fridge, reading, washing the dishes, petting a cat, getting the paper and getting the mail...
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bredrin on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Have you been drawing Ari differently lately? It seems like it.
bredrin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am

Not intentionally. What looks different about her?
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:29 am

Are you a fan of Hergé's work? :)
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

Serge Stiles wrote:Are you a fan of Hergé's work? :)

I like his art, but for some reason I've never actually read a Tintin story. That's a huge piece of comics history that I've overlooked. Probably the most famous comics feature that I "know of" but have never really "experienced." Asterix and Obelix would be a contender for that as well. I probably never saw either of those two comics in English during my formative years, that's really the only excuse I can come up with.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Out There