A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Ostracee on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I guess it stood out to me because Miriam's line in the first panel seems weirdly casual, like she's honestly expecting them to be horizontal soon, not the jokey way they usually flirt (like at the end).
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:26 am

diddledop wrote:Thank you for the clarifications. I honestly don't know what the censorship ratings are technically called.

As for the flirtation level between M & A, hmmmm - this latest strip just sorta stood out - as if you're notching it up a level.

Also: (Just for fun) I want to post something here which I think somewhat thought-provoking as regards the romantic pairing of two females in a comic strip.
Given: You can couple any male/female combo without any problems (pretty much).
Not a Given: But depict two same gendered people together in such a relationship and - Bingo – the focus goes to the sameness. If we really lived in an egalitarian world, would this still be so?
Example: Take the long-running newspaper-popular comic strip, Hi and Lois. What if Lois left Hi for her next door neighbor, Irma? Hi and Lois is meant to be exclusively “funny.” It’s not an “issue” strip. It’s done for laughs. Could it still be that if it suddenly became: “Irma and Lois?”

If I'm notching it up a little, it's only by tiny degrees. These jokey-flirty situations have been going on since the strip's first year.

Out There isn't any more of an "issue" strip than Hi and Lois, really. I don't try to be controversial. I think the fact that my main character smokes and drinks to excess is (or should be) far more controversial than the suggestion that she is sexually attracted to her girlfriends.

Ostacee wrote:I guess it stood out to me because Miriam's line in the first panel seems weirdly casual, like she's honestly expecting them to be horizontal soon, not the jokey way they usually flirt (like at the end).

I didn't intend that. The line in the first panel seemed casual because it was casual.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Just when I was getting my hopes up - darn!
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 am

diddledop wrote:Example: Take the long-running newspaper-popular comic strip, Hi and Lois. What if Lois left Hi for her next door neighbor, Irma? Hi and Lois is meant to be exclusively “funny.” It’s not an “issue” strip. It’s done for laughs. Could it still be that if it suddenly became: “Irma and Lois?”

To me it wouldn't matter. To the American public (not to mention the public of many other countries), though, it'd be a big, big difference.

rcmonroe wrote:I think the fact that my main character smokes and drinks to excess is (or should be) far more controversial than the suggestion that she is sexually attracted to her girlfriends.

There was a memorable Out-at-Home strip (a webcomic I highly recommend, BTW) where Penny, the main character's sidekick, took up smoking. In the same strip she was also seen going to a cockfighting ring. Everyone in the strip's comments section complained about her smoking. Nobody complained about her going to a cockfighting ring. (This is especially strange as she's old enough to smoke, but I don't remember anyone complaining about her underage drinking.)
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:23 am

(From the 11/23 strip) Say Stevie, I noticed you're getting a little too much touchy-feel with Sherry there, aren't you? AHH, I miss the Saturday strips! :( I foresee several scenarios:

1 Chuck will walk in, see it, and do something (I'll leave it to you guy's imaginations)

2 James will walk in, see it, and do something (Ditto for above)

3 John will walk in, see it, and do something (Ditto from here on out)

4 Clayton will walk in, see it, and do something (while wanting a free drink or two for his trouble afterwards, of course)

5 Ari will walk in, see it, and do something

6 Miriam will walk in, see it, and do something, which will probably be worst than everyone (yes, including Chuck)

7 Any guy customer we're not familiar with (or Rod) will walk in and do something

8 Sherry will DEFINITELY do something, like cold-clocking the boy.

This is what happens when someone doesn't want to work. It keeps them occupied with something else... :roll: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby diddledop on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 am

6 Miriam will walk in, see it, and do something, which will probably be worst than everyone (yes, including Chuck)

Here's what won't happen: Miriam will walk in and rescue her by making out with her in front of Stevie to forcefully demonstrate the fact that Sherry is off limits because she's hers. Kind of similar to the Ally McBeal episode in which Ally made out with Georgia in order to dissuade an unwanted suitor who'd then assume she was a lesbian and, therefore, off limits to his romantic intentions. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZgBk0UB24 :o
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 am

(From the 11/26 comic) Well, so much for my prediction(s). :oops: Now it appears Ari could have her wish come true... :o

Addendum: Hey! Did Ari just drop her (expensive?) bottle of wine in response to Sherry's asking about the jacuzzi?! :o
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 pm

SAGG wrote:This is what happens when someone doesn't want to work. It keeps them occupied with something else... :roll: :rootbeer:

I'm not sure what's given you the impression that Steven doesn't want to work. He approached Sherry for a job at one point and also attempted to interest Miriam in going into business with him. Clearly, he's not at the I'll-take-anything point yet, because if he was he'd have probably settled into something—but there's a difference between being selective and not wanting to work at all.

SAGG wrote:Hey! Did Ari just drop her (expensive?) bottle of wine in response to Sherry's asking about the jacuzzi?! :o

Yes.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Out There is generally unpredictable. So if you think the dropped bottle will lead to X, well, it'll probably lead to Y. Or the story Arc may simply disappear (next scene, please).

Next strip possibilities may be (or not at all):

1. Clean up time for the spilled wine.
2. Sherry offers to pay for broken bottle or offers to buy a new bottle. :nervous:
3. They proceed to the Jacuzzi (who cares about the various bottle eventualities?). :evilgrin:
4. They engage in Jacuzzi-inspired dialogue with some hint of something that could possibly inspire some sort of Jacuzzi-related activity. :lol:
5. Something happens to disrupt the proceedings: a phone call, a door at the knock, an unexpected visitor. :gonk:
6. Here's my bet: There'll be a third party on the scene. (Well, this now can't happen because I bet on it happening.)
7. Et cetera. :sleep:
8. God, I really haven't a clue. :roll:
9. Another cliffhanger. :shifty:
10. Resolution and denouement. :D
11. GASP!! :( :wink:
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 am

I really love this little arc between Ari and Sherry. They're so adorable.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby diddledop on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Panel 4 - 11/28/2012 - #1948.

11. GASP!!

GASP!! :o
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 am

Oh wow. Figures Chuck would spring this on Sherry just as Ari's feelings for her are starting to come to a head. I doubt Ari's gonna take this well.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Out There