A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:25 pm

diddledop wrote:Friday, 10/12/12: I don't understand the last sentence.

What Carmen means is, her words are valid, and they will seem even more so if Ari doesn't visualize them as coming specifically from her (Carmen). I thought her pose and attire would help drive home the point, but perhaps that wasn't the case.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks. My brain was in a very low gear Friday evening. I appreciate your thinking for me. Sometimes I cannot even comprehend the obvious.

When I was a kid growing up, I always prided myself on "getting it" whenever it came to understanding things in a non-literal sense. I've pretty much given up on "getting it" at all times. I'm not a super-computer, a savant or a guru. I have my many perceptual limitations and I am humbled by them. Sometimes I really just appreciate others "getting it" for me.

Thank you.
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 am

SAGG wrote:No, to me, he's just not even trying right now, e.g. he's lazy.

I don't think "e.g." means what you think it means.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 am

furrykef wrote:
SAGG wrote:No, to me, he's just not even trying right now, e.g. he's lazy.

I don't think "e.g." means what you think it means.

You mean I should have written i.e.? Fine. I stand corrected. 8)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serge Stiles on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

John in swimsuit calendar-style? DEAR DIARY

Well, if that happens, anyway.

I am a fan of Ari's idea
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serge Stiles on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Not that I'm surprised he said no, but... aw. :(
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serge Stiles on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 am

Oh! Well, there's John in just shorts anyway. Didn't need a calendar, just no air conditioning! :)
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:25 am

I knew you were gonna be happy about that.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby diddledop on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:54 am

Just wanted to express my appreciation for Panel 2 of 11/2/12. I've always liked the M/S connection and it displays well in this somewhat intimate friends scene. Maybe others won't see that, but I seem to. Thank you.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 am

(From the 11/7 comic) Steven, if you want to get away from Miriam's annoying prattling, how about getting a J-O-B so you'll be out most of the time, and not hear her? :roll: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby furrykef on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:16 am

But that would require effort and initiative!
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 am

furrykef wrote:But that would require effort and initiative!

Yep, pretty much. And I think Steven's going to have to have his booty kicked somehow lesson-wise to do so. I just thought of something else: He ain't going to have any incentive to do it as long as he has Miriam and John there to pay the rent in his place and for the groceries. I mean, why should he? He can just lay up on them, since it's his place. If Steven turns down Sherry (or did he, please someone check me on this) to help her out, which is even more disgraceful to me, what's it going to take to get him to get back out there and work? Lazy rascal... :roll:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby biev on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:25 am

I'm REALLY uncomfortable with what Steven is doing right now.
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:33 pm

SAGG wrote:If Steven turns down Sherry (or did he, please someone check me on this) to help her out, which is even more disgraceful to me, what's it going to take to get him to get back out there and work?

To set the record straight… Steven asked Sherry for a job as a bartender awhile back… she said no. He also tried to interest Miriam in starting a cleaning service with him… so he's not completely devoid of initiative. If it seems like Steven’s been unemployed for years, remember there’s a difference between “strip time” and “our time”. In strip time, it’s been months, not years.

Steven did reluctantly agree to play a gig at Sherry’s. That'll be happening in the next few months (“our time”).

biev wrote:I'm REALLY uncomfortable with what Steven is doing right now.

The management does not necessarily endorse the words or deeds of the employees.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 am

rcmonroe wrote:
SAGG wrote:If Steven turns down Sherry (or did he, please someone check me on this) to help her out, which is even more disgraceful to me, what's it going to take to get him to get back out there and work?

To set the record straight… Steven asked Sherry for a job as a bartender awhile back… she said no. He also tried to interest Miriam in starting a cleaning service with him… so he's not completely devoid of initiative. If it seems like Steven’s been unemployed for years, remember there’s a difference between “strip time” and “our time”. In strip time, it’s been months, not years.

Steven did reluctantly agree to play a gig at Sherry’s. That'll be happening in the next few months (“our time”).

biev wrote:I'm REALLY uncomfortable with what Steven is doing right now.

The management does not necessarily endorse the words or deeds of the employees.

Okay, got you. Thanks, RC. Steven, my sincerest apologies. :oops: :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:59 pm

No apologies are necessary.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 am

(From the 11/12 comic) Ari, you're a lawyer. You can hire a maid. Miriam, when do you have any free time to be a maid for Ari between your two jobs? RC, I'm curious: Do you have a "schedule" for Miriam, or do we just assume her time is REALLY flexible?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 pm

SAGG wrote:(From the 11/12 comic) Ari, you're a lawyer. You can hire a maid. Miriam, when do you have any free time to be a maid for Ari between your two jobs? RC, I'm curious: Do you have a "schedule" for Miriam, or do we just assume her time is REALLY flexible?

If she cleans in the morning and works her shifts at the three (not two) bars during afternoons and evenings, her time wouldn't have to be all that flexible.

Ari can definitely afford to hire a maid. Miriam doesn't really need the money that badly. There's more to this arrangement than mere practicality.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Okay, that's it. I'm REALLY embarrassed that I keep forgetting what's going on in OT, since I read it everyday. :oops: :grumble: Just forget about me... :nervous:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:34 pm

SAGG wrote:Okay, that's it. I'm REALLY embarrassed that I keep forgetting what's going on in OT, since I read it everyday. :oops: :grumble: Just forget about me... :nervous:

Sounds like the stuff you're forgetting is the minor stuff. At least you're not one of the people who think I have a character named "Shelly."
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow! Mir and Ari look like they're in position to make out (Panel 4 of 11/12/2012). But, of course, they won't. I can't imagine you ever drawing a scene like that.

But truthfully, I wish it were Mir and Sher in that position. However, I thank you, RC, for the suggestibility of the possibility.

Remember, this is 2012 and December 21st draws ever near. I think the Mayan Gods may reconsider if you bring Mir and Sher together before then. Thank you, anyway.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby diddledop on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 am

Question: What is the Nielsen rating for Strip #1940 of 11/16/2012? I mean, is it safe for Saturday morning viewing?
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 am

diddledop wrote:Question: What is the Nielsen rating for Strip #1940 of 11/16/2012? I mean, is it safe for Saturday morning viewing?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I wonder if anything earth-shattering will happen in #2000, which I think will be on Friday, January 11th, 2013? :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:38 pm

SAGG wrote:
diddledop wrote:Question: What is the Nielsen rating for Strip #1940 of 11/16/2012? I mean, is it safe for Saturday morning viewing?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I wonder if anything earth-shattering will happen in #2000, which I think will be on Friday, January 11th, 2013? :evilgrin:

I confess befuddlement at these comments. First of all, a "Nielson rating" determines how many people are watching a show, not what its content is. Second of all, what is so out of the ordinary about this particular strip? Have Miriam and Araceli not been flirting (with varying degrees of seriousness) almost since they met?

I've always considered Out There to be an adult strip, but a very tame adult strip. Has anything happened in Out There that would be considered controversial if it had happened in a movie, or a TV show, or 95% of other webcomics?
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 am

Thank you for the clarifications. I honestly don't know what the censorship ratings are technically called.

As for the flirtation level between M & A, hmmmm - this latest strip just sorta stood out - as if you're notching it up a level.

Also: (Just for fun) I want to post something here which I think somewhat thought-provoking as regards the romantic pairing of two females in a comic strip.
Given: You can couple any male/female combo without any problems (pretty much).
Not a Given: But depict two same gendered people together in such a relationship and - Bingo – the focus goes to the sameness. If we really lived in an egalitarian world, would this still be so?
Example: Take the long-running newspaper-popular comic strip, Hi and Lois. What if Lois left Hi for her next door neighbor, Irma? Hi and Lois is meant to be exclusively “funny.” It’s not an “issue” strip. It’s done for laughs. Could it still be that if it suddenly became: “Irma and Lois?”
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Out There