A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 pm

(From the 6/18 comic) Poor, poor Sherry! Having that privacy's not all that it's cracked up to be, is it? :lol: Cheer up! You'll still be able to see them at work! :lol: :rootbeer: Yeah, yeah, I seem to be cold to Sherry's loneliness, but I'm not, really. I'm sure she'll eventually make the adjustment to being by herself again. She'd better make her relationship with Chuck count, because if she doesn't, well.... :nervous:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby biev on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:25 am

I love how Sherry still censors herself with a towel, even though she's alone in her living room.
(Writing this butt naked from my living room.)
User avatar
biev
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:05 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 am

Maybe she senses the thousands of Internet eyes on her.

I am pleased to know that people read my comic strip naked.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby biev on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm

I blame it on the weather, but hey, whatever works : )
User avatar
biev
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:05 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Magicwarlock90 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Oh, Sherry. You can (barely) live with Miriam, but you just can't live without her, huh? I wonder how our bar owner will handle her free time/loneliness?
Magicwarlock90
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:35 am

Wow, I go away for a few weeks and the forum explodes with activity. Guess I'd better come back and kill it again.

I’m not 100% certain, but I think this may have been the first time Sherry had a whole week to herself (aside from the very last panel on Friday). I like these introspective strips, I’d love to see more of them with characters other than Miriam (although I like her introspective strips too).

It will be interesting to see how this effects Sherry's relationship with Chuck; whether he'll move in right away, whether they’re good for the long haul, etc. I still think part of what's gotten her down is a an unresolved pining for Miriam, but I have the feeling we may never have that spelled out in such a way that removes all doubt. Because R.C. Monroe is an evil, evil man.

I’m still reading, even when I’m not forum-ing. When’s the next book coming out?
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Magicwarlock90 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 am

Y'know, you say John's dialogue is among the hardest to write, but I'd never know it by how you have him interact with the others. His straight-forward attitude goes perfectly with Miriam's talkative nature.
Magicwarlock90
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Because R.C. Monroe is an evil, evil man.


Now what did I do?

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:When’s the next book coming out?


Any day now. Keep checking here.

Magicwarlock90 wrote:Y'know, you say John's dialogue is among the hardest to write, but I'd never know it by how you have him interact with the others. His straight-forward attitude goes perfectly with Miriam's talkative nature.


Thank you. It's hard, but I'm usually pretty happy with it. It just takes more effort than the others.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

(From the 6/26 comic) Miriam is Miriam, but still, even I think she's going a tad too far in telling John how he should look. Can't wait to see how this little arrangement is going to work out... :wink:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am

Oh, she’s completely out of line telling him how he should look. She gets away with it because she’s Miriam.

John likes Miriam, in a completely non-sexual way—which she has difficulty relating to because it’s not the norm for her. There’s really nothing keeping him tied to her, yet he sticks around. At first (during the first couple years of the comic) it seemed it was because he was concerned for her safety or mental health or whatever but by now he’s seen “how she rolls”. There’s no explanation for him still wanting to be her roommate except—he likes her.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 am

(From the 7/2 comic) Okay, I wonder where this is going? I suspect Miriam's wearing her uniform like this in order to get a bigger tip. :evilgrin: It's been known that attractive waitresses who dress in a provocative way (think "Hooters") get bigger tips from their male customers.Will her boss (What was his name anyway?) ask her to dress down a tad, which Miriam will refuse to do, and he'll have to let her go? Truth be told, I'm surprised he'd even ask because to him, he might, er, get an eyeful of eye candy when he'd want it, unless he's a pious man who just might be married, and doesn't want to be tempted.

Addendum: I find it ironically interesting that John would give in to Miriam's advice on telling him to change his look, then right afterwards, Miriam is asked to change her look. Will she follow her own advice? :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 am

SAGG wrote:Addendum: I find it ironically interesting that John would give in to Miriam's advice on telling him to change his look, then right afterwards, Miriam is asked to change her look. Will she follow her own advice? :evilgrin:


I'm predicting the answer will be "no."
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:03 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
SAGG wrote:Addendum: I find it ironically interesting that John would give in to Miriam's advice on telling him to change his look, then right afterwards, Miriam is asked to change her look. Will she follow her own advice? :evilgrin:


I'm predicting the answer will be "no."


Sooo, she's gonna lose this job, you think? :-?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 am

I think she's going to talk her boss into letting her dress slutty because it's good for business. And because she's usually able to get men to let her do what she wants (if they're not named John).
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am

(From the 7/6 comic) Yep, she lost it, yet got another one. I think Miriam's old boss is gonna regret it... :)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 am

(From the 7/9 comic) When I said Miriam's old boss was going to regret it, I sure didn't know it was this. I figured he'd miss her bringing in the extra customers! :lol: What in the world is Rod doing? :-? Is he merely teasing the owner over suing them on Miriam's behalf because she no longer works there (and him not having any eye candy), or what? Does this have something to do with the way she dressed, which I can see (or not see, if you get my drift)? It's pretty clear to me that Miriam had nothing to do with this. Perhaps Rod's deciding to get some moolah for his law firm here, and wants to persuade Miriam to do the same?

Hmmm...when I think about it, Miriam could have some sort of case here legally on the freedom to dress for her job, which could create all kinds of trouble, not just for Miriam's old boss, but Miriam herself because her new boss might not want to be associated with a "trouble-maker" or a "rabble-rouser" who's now working for him during the legal process. I can see Sherry not caring one wit, but Miriam might have to work for her only in town when word spreads around. Rod, you've just made a mistake, I think.... :evilgrin: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah, not at all where I thought this would be going either... Friday's strip had "resolution" written all over it. If she loses her job but then gets it back again right away, does that mean I was right after all?
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 am

(From the 7/17 comic) Just you watch: This conversation will take a Miriam turn, which is gonna be bad for this couple... :evilgrin: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Serge Stiles on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Whew, finally I got back in here! Ever since my computer messed up, I couldn't remember my password and e-mail and etc etc, all nonsense aside...

I keep reading and I finally decided I had to finally get down to being able to log back in here because - JOHN SHAVED! HALLELUJAH! :lol: Thanks, Miriam! It was getting out of hand, haha. And now that he looks how he is now, I imagine her funny thoughts about him should happen more frequently! (If that's possible for Miriam.) Haha!
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Image
User avatar
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Not to mention the fact that she’s sleeping in the same bed with him, practically naked. I would think that might produce those funny thoughts more often as well.

Miriam has so little control over her desires in general, it’s a little hard to believe she has control over her John-obsession. But since John believes her, so do I. I think if John ever said, “what the hell, let’s do it,” she’d be naked in a half-heartbeat, but I guess that since she knows that isn’t going to happen, she’s cool with things as they are.

John has to feel pretty confident she won’t be trying to seduce him to agree to sleep in the same bed with her. I’ve always gotten the impression he enjoys Miriam’s touchy-feeliness as long as it doesn’t get sexual. Even celibates need human contact.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby furrykef on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Miriam has so little control over her desires in general, it’s a little hard to believe she has control over her John-obsession. But since John believes her, so do I. I think if John ever said, “what the hell, let’s do it,” she’d be naked in a half-heartbeat, but I guess that since she knows that isn’t going to happen, she’s cool with things as they are.

But surely she also realizes John would likely be the most boring person in the world to go to bed with, at least unless he has some passion, and John doesn't seem to have any passion for anything except food. And even that was downplayed after his first few appearances. Her romantic/sexual interest in him probably stems mostly from intrigue, since in a sense she can't really comprehend the concept of asexuality -- but I think if John responded more to her, she wouldn't find him interesting. So I think the moment John said "yes" (not that it'd happen) would be the moment Miriam said "never mind".
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:00 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby SAGG on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Since RC says John isn't gay, the boy's GOT to be impotent. :lol: I couldn't take it being in bed with Miriam like that! :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 am

furrykef wrote:But surely she also realizes John would likely be the most boring person in the world to go to bed with, at least unless he has some passion, and John doesn't seem to have any passion for anything except food. And even that was downplayed after his first few appearances. Her romantic/sexual interest in him probably stems mostly from intrigue, since in a sense she can't really comprehend the concept of asexuality -- but I think if John responded more to her, she wouldn't find him interesting. So I think the moment John said "yes" (not that it'd happen) would be the moment Miriam said "never mind".


I could see Miriam believing she could turn anyone into an animal in bed. And while she might eventually lose interest, she’d “test the waters” several times before calling it a day.

SAGG wrote:Since RC says John isn't gay, the boy's GOT to be impotent. :lol: I couldn't take it being in bed with Miriam like that! :lol:


Maybe she’s just not his type. Yeah, I know, Miriam’s everybody’s type.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Serge Stiles on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm sure the B&W has something to do with it, but John and Steven look almost like twins! Haha. Same shirt (probably different colours), jeans, same messy hair. Of course I didn't really notice this right away, because even though they have a lot of similarities right now, RC has an impressive way to make each of his characters still look unique but with such simple lines, as if two real people who were unrelated got the same haircut and put on the same outfit, their faces still would look different enough to know they were not related. :)
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Image
User avatar
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: A Roomate With A View (Wk of 6/17/12)

Postby Serge Stiles on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:18 am

Steven's final comment left me with quite the visual LOL
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Image
User avatar
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 pm

 
Next

Return to Out There

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest