Something In The Way She Moves (3/12/12)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Something In The Way She Moves (3/12/12)

Postby SAGG on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 am

Woo-hoo! At last, a whole new storyline, though who can really tell the difference? :lol: Seriously, Miriam should ditch Steven the bum, and yes, that's what I think he's become(ing). This just justifies it. If there's ever a free spirit in this comic, it's Miriam. She needs an anchor, and the only one I can see doing that is John, who's apparently not interested in her (not that I can blame him).
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Something In The Way She Moves (3/12/12)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:30 pm

SAGG wrote:Woo-hoo! At last, a whole new storyline, though who can really tell the difference? :lol: Seriously, Miriam should ditch Steven the bum, and yes, that's what I think he's become(ing). This just justifies it. If there's ever a free spirit in this comic, it's Miriam. She needs an anchor, and the only one I can see doing that is John, who's apparently not interested in her (not that I can blame him).

John, schmon. ARI! She'd be a MUCH better match for Mir. She has a much better job than John and besides, she's HOT and INTO sex, unlike John. Miriam with someone who doesn't want to have sex? Preposterous!

Oh, I know RC is going to do whatever he's going to do, and I know it'll be entertaining either way. Today's strip was slightly more risque than usual, and I'm certainly not complaining about that. I'm a little surprised Mir is taking the idea of someone not being that into her this lightly. Unless she just happens to feel the same way. Still, it's Miriam. She should want him to want her, even if she doesn't want him, right?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
SAGG wrote:Woo-hoo! At last, a whole new storyline, though who can really tell the difference? :lol: Seriously, Miriam should ditch Steven the bum, and yes, that's what I think he's become(ing). This just justifies it. If there's ever a free spirit in this comic, it's Miriam. She needs an anchor, and the only one I can see doing that is John, who's apparently not interested in her (not that I can blame him).

John, schmon. ARI! She'd be a MUCH better match for Mir. She has a much better job than John and besides, she's HOT and INTO sex, unlike John. Miriam with someone who doesn't want to have sex? Preposterous!

Oh, I know RC is going to do whatever he's going to do, and I know it'll be entertaining either way. Today's strip was slightly more risque than usual, and I'm certainly not complaining about that. I'm a little surprised Mir is taking the idea of someone not being that into her this lightly. Unless she just happens to feel the same way. Still, it's Miriam. She should want him to want her, even if she doesn't want him, right?

Wait, who wants what, huh? :-? :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 am

SAGG wrote:
LadyGrinningSoul wrote:

Wait, who wants what, huh? :-? :lol:

Oh, please. You understood every word.

Looks like as of today's strip (3/14) Miriam may have figured out her (and John's) living arrangements for the time being. Not that it's not a COMPLETELY INSANE idea, but, hey, it's Miriam. Maybe Steven will be the voice of reason here. Somehow I'm doubting it.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 pm

"Breakin' hearts and fakin' names?" Ouch! Didn't realize Steven was a country artist!

When Miriam started talking about moving out (what was that, a year or two ago?), I have to admit it never crossed my mind that it would be Steven she'd be moving in with. Now this is looking like yet another situation where she's made up her mind to change something (in this case, a sexual to a non-sexual relationship) that's going to be harder for her to change than she thinks it will be. Her body language suggests that she still thinks of Steven sexually.

I like how a pillow magically appears in the last panel so she can sit on it. If only her resolve could be so easy to conjure!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:39 am

Um, no, LGS, actually I really didn't understand every word. Is this female logic at work? :-? I'm a guy, in case you didn't know. :) And lest we forget, John, other than Sherry, is the main voice of reason in this comic. Steven couldn't possibly approach either of them. Even Clayton has him beaten by a huge margin. 8)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 am

SAGG wrote:Um, no, LGS, actually I really didn't understand every word. Is this female logic at work? :-? I'm a guy, in case you didn't know. :) And lest we forget, John, other than Sherry, is the main voice of reason in this comic. Steven couldn't possibly approach either of them. Even Clayton has him beaten by a huge margin. 8)

It's Miriam logic. She always wants everyone to want her, regardless of whether or not she wants them. Anyone who reads this strip regularly must be aware of that. That's all I was referring to when I said you understood every word. The whole question of who she would be compatible with is a totally separate issue, and far less something I'm willing to state unequivocally. To be totally honest, I don't think anyone we've seen so far is a good match for her, because I don't think she's the settling down type, at least not in this stage of her development. I'm only pushing for her and Ari because they're the two hottest females in the trip, and well… two hot females getting together is something that appeals to me. But realistically (realistically? this is a comic strip!), Miriam's not ready for Ari or for anyone else.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby richdale7 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:10 pm

ImageShe has a much better job than John and besides
richdale7
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 pm

richdale7 wrote:ImageShe has a much better job than John and besides

If you ever want to finish that thought, we're all ears.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 pm

rcmonroe wrote:
richdale7 wrote:ImageShe has a much better job than John and besides

If you ever want to finish that thought, we're all ears.

:lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I don't care what anybody says, when Ari looks at Miriam, she sees a red-haired version of Carmen.

And that's why she likes her so much.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:I don't care what anybody says, when Ari looks at Miriam, she sees a red-haired version of Carmen.

And that's why she likes her so much.

Meh. :) Anyhoo, from the 3/23 comic, I can't help but wonder a little that Ari's opinion of Clayton (probably not that high in the first place, but at least not that low, either, since they were drinking buddies) has gone down after their little encounter. She looked ticked off. Or it could be just a guy thing with the boys talking amongst themselves about how the girl one of them knows REALLY looks like (and is in bed). A guy thing, that is, and Ari chalks it up to Boys Just Being Boys.
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 pm

SAGG wrote:I can't help but wonder a little that Ari's opinion of Clayton (probably not that high in the first place, but at least not that low, either, since they were drinking buddies) has gone down after their little encounter. She looked ticked off.

I think Ari knows Clayton pretty well. From their interactions you get the feeling they've spent a lot of time at the bar together. She's also been to his home at least once that we know of (even slept in his bed!), so I don't think anything he says or does at this point is going to be much of a revelation.

She was ticked off, but I doubt that she's changed her opinion of him. She likes him—that doesn't mean she has to like everything about him.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm

3/26 and 3/27 strips:

Looks like Miriam/Steven/John is going to happen unless RC throws us a curve (which he definitely could do.)

I'm mostly intrigued by Sherry's reactions here. Her expressions and body language clearly indicate she hates the idea of Miriam and Steven living together; the question is why.

Is she jealous of Miriam because she (Sherry) still has feelings for Steven?
Is she jealous of Steven because she still has feelings for Miriam?
Is it that she just wants Miriam to stay?
Is it all of the above?

While I agree with her that Miriam and Steven living together is a terrible idea, I love it in terms of it being a new avenue for the plot to travel down. I'm glad RC doesn't lock his characters into the same roles in perpetuity.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Wait--Miriam and John would move into Steven's place? :o I thought they would have their own place, and Steven would move in with them. It must be great to be unemployed and have your rent (and presumably groceries) paid for by the people moving in with you. :lol: Steven's got it made...
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

SAGG wrote:Wait--Miriam and John would move into Steven's place? :o I thought they would have their own place, and Steven would move in with them. It must be great to be unemployed and have your rent (and presumably groceries) paid for by the people moving in with you. :lol: Steven's got it made...

Not to mention the additional "benefits" he will probably collect having Miriam as a roommate...

Sherry's working hard to stop this. That'll probably just make Miriam more determined to do it.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby diddledop on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 am

The strip this morning, Friday, March 30th, 2012, is brilliant. It is stunning with the impact of asking/resolving "the" (imo) central long standing question/mystery of Out There. Will it ever be answered/resolved?

Gawd, Man! Stupendous - A Masterful Achievement which I have been honored to witness! Thank you for today's Coup d'œil, a true sliver of light in a shadowy fog of mind and emotion as well as a glimmer and glimpse of hope that the right ending will also be the perfect ending. Yes, I dare say it would indeed.
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 pm

diddledop wrote:The strip this morning, Friday, March 30th, 2012, is brilliant. It is stunning with the impact of asking/resolving "the" (imo) central long standing question/mystery of Out There. Will it ever be answered/resolved?

Gawd, Man! Stupendous - A Masterful Achievement which I have been honored to witness! Thank you for today's Coup d'œil, a true sliver of light in a shadowy fog of mind and emotion as well as a glimmer and glimpse of hope that the right ending will also be the perfect ending. Yes, I dare say it would indeed.

My initial reaction to today's strip was, FINALLY, a CLEAR indication that Sherry is not only attracted to Miriam, but that she also harbors thoughts of them being together long-term! Wow! Quite a revelation (even considering it's been hinted at for years).

But now the more I look at it, the less convinced I am. Oh, I have no doubt that RC is intentionally leading us down that path, but this strip in no way proves anything.

"Who would you rather live with the rest of your life, Chuck, or me?" Miriam asks this casually, rhetorically, and probably without intent to provoke any deep thinking about the subject. Sherry, who is not one to rush into anything without first thinking deeply about it, momentarily sees the options as the only ones available—which means if Miriam moves out, boom, Sherry and Chuck are as good as married. A scary though for her—even if it's what she ultimately desires.

You can read this strip either way. Maybe Sherry doesn't want Miriam to leave because it signifies the end of her youth, her bachelorette-hood, her freedom… or maybe she doesn't want her to leave because she wants her. I agree with you, diddledop, in that this was masterfully done. I just think that—despite what I initially thought—we don't have any more answers today than we did yesterday.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ostracee on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:03 pm

...really? I think both of you have the shipping goggles spot-welded to your face...
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Ostracee wrote:...really? I think both of you have the shipping goggles spot-welded to your face...

Not me. I've been trying to ship Mir/Ari. But RC has not been cooperating.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby furrykef on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 pm

For the record I took it as Sherry having interest in Miriam too, but I also realized that this seemed too out of left field. I guess we'll find out what it means soon enough.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ostracee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I figured it was just typical thirty-ish "OH MY GOD THIS IS REALLY MY WHOLE LIFE."
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 am

furrykef wrote:For the record I took it as Sherry having interest in Miriam too, but I also realized that this seemed too out of left field. I guess we'll find out what it means soon enough.

Why is it always "out of left field"? Based on what I've read from many posts by conservatives on political boards lately, I could make a case for saying right field. :roll:

Interesting strip, Friday's was. I read it as a pivotal moment of change in OT's history. Miriam's moving out with John, and for the first time since before Miriam arrived back in her life (the beginning of the strip, of course), Sherry has her place back to herself--this time with Chuck, of course. I find it interesting that Chuck lived in the same city as Sherry did, yet they probably never would have met without Miriam. Talk about irony... :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:49 am

furrykef wrote:For the record I took it as Sherry having interest in Miriam too, but I also realized that this seemed too out of left field. I guess we'll find out what it means soon enough.

What's out of left field about it? The other characters in the strip suspect it—why shouldn't the readers?

Ostracee wrote:I figured it was just typical thirty-ish "OH MY GOD THIS IS REALLY MY WHOLE LIFE."

It very well could be that, too. The rampant speculation by the other characters could be a red herring— but it's an awfully pervasive one.

SAGG wrote:Why is it always "out of left field"? Based on what I've read from many posts by conservatives on political boards lately, I could make a case for saying right field.

And a strong case, at that.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby diddledop on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:40 pm

I am full of ship. Yes.

I'm a notorious shipper.

I am a bigger shipper than perhaps was Aristotle Onassis.

However, I'm no Kennedy - that's for sure.
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Out There