Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 am

If my subconscious can come up with better stuff than my regular brain, then yeah.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:28 am

(From the 12/29 comic) Shouldn't Ari be saying, "I guess I don't care."? Just nitpicking... 8)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby DannyBoy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 am

It does look like a word was dropped out.

Nice that Ari is not making any bones about creating a double standard. She is going to feel free to ogle on appealing females! :roll:
DannyBoy
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 pm

SAGG wrote:(From the 12/29 comic) Shouldn't Ari be saying, "I guess I don't care."? Just nitpicking... 8)


My subconscious wrote that line. Grammar's not its long suit.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:45 am

(From the 12/30 comic) Whoa! That is ONE hot scene between Ari and James at the end! :o And is she straddling him? :o I do believe she is! :o RC, you've been really pushing that envelope lately, haven't you...? :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 am

SAGG wrote:(From the 12/30 comic) Whoa! That is ONE hot scene between Ari and James at the end! :o And is she straddling him? :o I do believe she is! :o RC, you've been really pushing that envelope lately, haven't you...? :evilgrin:


I suppose. They are wearing clothes.

(Hey, that rhymes.)
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:39 pm

rcmonroe wrote:I suppose. They are wearing clothes.


*I'll* be the judge of that.

On further review, while it's abundantly clear that Ari (alas) is still wearing her dress in Panel #4, I see no clear evidence that James is wearing *anything*.

I'm going with "not wearing anything" for James.

You're welcome.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:49 am

LadyGrinningSoul, it just occurred to me why Rod's struck out with Ari, whereas James did not: "What does this mere, lowly bartender have over me, the head of a hotshot law firm?" Good question... 8)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:27 am

SAGG wrote:LadyGrinningSoul, it just occurred to me why Rod's struck out with Ari, whereas James did not: "What does this mere, lowly bartender have over me, the head of a hotshot law firm?" Good question... 8)


I think you may have something there, SAGG.

Or rather, James may have something there.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Or maybe it's because Rod is overbearing and condescending and a skirt-chaser, and James (to Ari at least) seems more devoted, selfless, and stable.

James would not have had time to get undressed between the third and fourth panels.

Oh, right… unless you think he could have.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:29 am

1/2/12:

Hey! Wally and Rebecca! Long time no see!

Not sure I like Bec's new hairstyle. I'll give it some time.

Raise your hand if you're cool enough to know where Wally's parents FIRST appeared...
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:13 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Raise your hand if you're cool enough to know where Wally's parents FIRST appeared...


So you were the one who bought it.
Image
User avatar
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am
Location: Out There

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 am

rcmonroe wrote:
LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Raise your hand if you're cool enough to know where Wally's parents FIRST appeared...


So you were the one who bought it.


Aww. Well, then the rest of the world doesn't know what it's missing.

1/4 strip:

Ha! Poor Rebecca, all these years she was jealous of Miriam when Martha was the one she really needed to worry about! I'm dying to see how this one turns out. Not ready to make a prediction, though.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:52 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
rcmonroe wrote:
LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Raise your hand if you're cool enough to know where Wally's parents FIRST appeared...


So you were the one who bought it.


Aww. Well, then the rest of the world doesn't know what it's missing.

1/4 strip:

Ha! Poor Rebecca, all these years she was jealous of Miriam when Martha was the one she really needed to worry about! I'm dying to see how this one turns out. Not ready to make a prediction, though.


Surely Rebecca should know her husband's really been over Miriam's mom. :roll: Is Rebecca really that jealous and possessive? Granted, the man's a rich athlete, but she know that going into the marriage...
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:26 am

SAGG wrote:Is Rebecca really that jealous and possessive? Granted, the man's a rich athlete, but she know that going into the marriage...


He did cheat on her, though, remember? Sure, it was a long time ago, but it's understandable if the wound hasn't completely healed.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
SAGG wrote:Is Rebecca really that jealous and possessive? Granted, the man's a rich athlete, but she know that going into the marriage...


He did cheat on her, though, remember? Sure, it was a long time ago, but it's understandable if the wound hasn't completely healed.


True, but Rebecca shouldn't be threatened by Miriam's mother. Miriam? Yes, understandable. But not Miriam's mom. In fact, she probably never knew of his crush, and even if she did, was too kind to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings--and maybe because she was too preoccupied with worrying about other boys who had the hots for her, too... :D
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 am

SAGG wrote:
LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
SAGG wrote:Is Rebecca really that jealous and possessive? Granted, the man's a rich athlete, but she know that going into the marriage...


He did cheat on her, though, remember? Sure, it was a long time ago, but it's understandable if the wound hasn't completely healed.


True, but Rebecca shouldn't be threatened by Miriam's mother. Miriam? Yes, understandable. But not Miriam's mom. In fact, she probably never knew of his crush, and even if she did, was too kind to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings--and maybe because she was too preoccupied with worrying about other boys who had the hots for her, too... :D


Jealousy, like all other emotions, doesn't have to be logical. But at least now (1/6), we know what her deal is. She gets off on having rivals, just so she can emerge the victor. I guess we kind of already knew that, from when she allowed her very real rival, Miriam, to stay in her home.

By the way, I like her hair now. The way it frames her face during her attempt to look sheepish in today's Panel 3 sold me.

Rebecca's not quite at a Ari or Miriam level, but she's still hot.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby biev on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 am

Just wanted to point out: Rebecca would sould totally nuts, but considering that Wally used to cheat on her all the time... you reap what you sow.
User avatar
biev
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:05 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 am

biev wrote:Just wanted to point out: Rebecca would sould totally nuts, but considering that Wally used to cheat on her all the time... you reap what you sow.


Agreed… except the cheating happened so long ago, and since Wally's been "good" ever since (as far as we know, anyway), I think at this point Rebecca actually does trust him. When she acts suspicious it’s just that— an act, a little game she plays. There's probably a tiny shred of doubt somewhere in the back of her mind—she wouldn't be human if there wasn't—but basically she believes he's faithful to her. The game is in making him prove it.

I better be right about this. I'll feel like a damn fool when RC reveals he's been cheating all along. With Martha.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 am

Here we go again with the ad trolls. :roll: RC, it's all yours...
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am

(From the 1/10 comic) It's clear to me that Martha is one of those people who somehow causes trouble in a comedic way without even knowing it (I think!). Recall when she was with her daughter, Sherry, Chuck, et al. Miriam and Rebecca had basically made peace over Wally a while back, and these little revelations only serve to reopen any wounds that were long supposed to be healed. Why does Martha do that, I wonder...? :-?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:36 am

Because she's DRUNK, remember? Alcohol's good for making you say whatever's on your mind, not so good for making you to think about whether or not you SHOULD say it.

Cute newsbox today! Been a long time since we've seen crewcut John.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Because she's DRUNK, remember? Alcohol's good for making you say whatever's on your mind, not so good for making you to think about whether or not you SHOULD say it.


She didn't seem drunk at the time, did she? Also, she doesn't seem drunk here... :-?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:00 am

Check Monday's strip. She says she's drunk.
User avatar
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Check Monday's strip. She says she's drunk.


I could say she's being flippant. Recall Rebecca's comment that she's a single woman living by herself. Quite frankly, even for Martha, her being drunk while coming home would be an incredibly stupid thing to do because it could open her up to being vulnerable to assault by stalkers. Now I could see her drinking after coming home, after she's locked her door. Notice that she's fixing a drink. Why come home drunk, then drink some more? Could you even fix the drink then? :-?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 am

 
PreviousNext

Return to Out There

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests