Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby Ostracee on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

I assumed that, too, although I expect that it will be studiously avoided, even though if Portstown is anything like Boston, there's a general unspoken assumption that Republicans can be easily identified by fangs, red eyes, and three-piece suits with lapel flagpins.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 am

12/6 strip:

Now I can't wait for the next strip! (A common occurrence for me when reading Out There.) While I'm still inclined to believe Sherry's leanings are to the left, I'm with Ostracee, I also suspect that RC will go to great lengths to avoid labeling her. Kinda like his "no, they're not having sex—unless you think they're having sex; in which case they are!" I'm always impressed with his resolve to show what he wants to show, not show what he doesn't want to show, and still manage to make it work on multiple levels. I now see that this arc isn't about the specifics of Sherry's politics; it's about how she forms her political viewpoints. I love John's last line, what a great slogan for moderation over extremism. I can't want to see Sherry's reaction!

I said that already, didn't I? I'm usually only this impatient when I'm waiting to see if two characters are going to end up in bed (or "not end up in bed", as RC would have us believe)!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:24 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:12/6 strip:

Now I can't wait for the next strip! (A common occurrence for me when reading Out There.) While I'm still inclined to believe Sherry's leanings are to the left, I'm with Ostracee, I also suspect that RC will go to great lengths to avoid labeling her. Kinda like his "no, they're not having sex—unless you think they're having sex; in which case they are!" I'm always impressed with his resolve to show what he wants to show, not show what he doesn't want to show, and still manage to make it work on multiple levels. I now see that this arc isn't about the specifics of Sherry's politics; it's about how she forms her political viewpoints. I love John's last line, what a great slogan for moderation over extremism. I can't want to see Sherry's reaction!

I said that already, didn't I? I'm usually only this impatient when I'm waiting to see if two characters are going to end up in bed (or "not end up in bed", as RC would have us believe)!

Wow. Was it just me, or did John seem to flare up a little when Sherry asked for his opinion on politics? :o It sure seemed like it! :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 pm

SAGG wrote:Wow. Was it just me, or did John seem to flare up a little when Sherry asked for his opinion on politics? :o It sure seemed like it! :evilgrin:

Definitely. For John, that was an outburst.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby furrykef on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:36 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:I love John's last line, what a great slogan for moderation over extremism.

But what if the 'extreme' viewpoint is right and the 'moderate' viewpoint is wrong? One mustn't assume that just because there are two sides, the truth is always somewhere in the middle. (Such a belief is called the "golden mean fallacy".) Compare, for instance, the infamous Three-Fifths Compromise in the US Constitution. Wanting to count a slave as a person was an 'extremist' position a couple hundred years ago. Somehow I don't think that's true in the developed world today. ;)

I think on the whole I'm on Sherry's side of this debate so far (although I'm sure RC is deliberately hiding which side she's attacking, she's virtually echoing my opinion on the Republican Party), but of course John's right that sometimes it seems the two parties take opposing sides just so they can have something to squabble over, which is something I'm certainly not happy about.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Of course, I know which team Sherry roots for, and of course, I ain't sayin'. And her views are supposed to echo yours exactly (and yours, and yours, you, over in the corner there, yours too), no matter which cap you like to wear to the game. Which is pretty much the point of the arc.

I finally found something for John to be passionate about! He's passionate about not getting too passionate over ideologies.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:28 am

12/12 & 12/13 strips:

I like how honest Miriam and Steven are with each other. Theirs is strictly a friends-with-bennies relationship, and they both know it; there's no "uh oh, I wonder if he/she wants something more out of this?" going on. I imagine Miriam has done this a lot in the past (that Carlos guy from the bonus story in Draft Picks definitely strikes me as an example); it's probably the type of relationship she feels most comfortable in (given the difficulty she has in committing herself to one person). But she never feels completely comfortable, because she's Miriam. And because friends-with-bennies almost never last for very long. It'll be interesting to see how long RC keeps this one going. I'm kind of enjoying it, even knowing it's almost certainly going to be short-lived.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ostracee on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm

I can't believe it took me this long to realize Miriam was naked below the waist.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:57 am

Ostracee wrote:I can't believe it took me this long to realize Miriam was naked below the waist.

Wow. I think you might be right. I assumed from the first panel on 12/12 this was a post-coital conversation (Steven's satisfied expression, Miriam's cigarette and slightly mussed hair), but I guess I figured she had at least put on panties or shorts. I didn't notice the strategic placement of Steven's head and the word balloon in the last panel on 12/13—why are they there if not to hide Miriam's nakedness? I already thought Mir looked hot this week—I had no idea how hot!

If she is wearing panties, I don't wanna know. RC, don't ruin this for me!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Ostracee wrote:I can't believe it took me this long to realize Miriam was naked below the waist.

:o You know, I think you guys are onto something here! I didn't notice it until you pointed it out! :o RC, if you did this, I must commend you on subtly sliding it in there! :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:12/12 & 12/13 strips:

I like how honest Miriam and Steven are with each other. Theirs is strictly a friends-with-bennies relationship, and they both know it; there's no "uh oh, I wonder if he/she wants something more out of this?" going on. I imagine Miriam has done this a lot in the past (that Carlos guy from the bonus story in Draft Picks definitely strikes me as an example); it's probably the type of relationship she feels most comfortable in (given the difficulty she has in committing herself to one person). But she never feels completely comfortable, because she's Miriam. And because friends-with-bennies almost never last for very long. It'll be interesting to see how long RC keeps this one going. I'm kind of enjoying it, even knowing it's almost certainly going to be short-lived.

Especially when Steven isn't trying to find a job on his own. He's relying on Miriam to do so. Get off your butt, big boy, and do it yourself! :roll:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm

SAGG wrote:

:o You know, I think you guys are onto something here! I didn't notice it until you pointed it out! :o RC, if you did this, I must commend you on subtly sliding it in there! :lol:

I think I'll pass on the nearly unlimited plethora of inappropriate responses I could come up with based on the phrase "subtly sliding it in there." Thanks for the set-up, though.

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:If she is wearing panties, I don't wanna know. RC, don't ruin this for me!

I wouldn't think of it, LGS.

My stated position in this particular case is my time-worn "If you can't see it, it isn't there. Unless, of course, you want it to be."
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:43 pm

He's done it before!

Today's (12/15) scene looked familiar; I had seen this overhead-shot-of-the-afterglow-on-the-hardwood-floor before. (Yes, I am definitely aware of the connotations of the word "hardwood"; that's why I made sure to include it!)

http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20090528.html

I'm CERTAIN that the reason we don't see anyone below the waist in this strip and the two that follow it is because NO ONE'S WEARING ANY PANTS!

I'll be on the lookout for more examples!

rcmonroe wrote:
SAGG wrote:RC, if you did this, I must commend you on subtly sliding it in there! :lol:

I think I'll pass on the nearly unlimited plethora of inappropriate responses I could come up with based on the phrase "subtly sliding it in there." Thanks for the set-up, though.

I lol'd!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:47 pm

12/16 strip:

The fact that Miriam is apparently wearing a skirt in the third panel does nothing to diminish my belief that she was au naturel below the waist in the previous four strips. I mean, who would go out to the balcony for a smoke without putting clothes on? (Okay, Miriam might.)

The important stuff out of the way, I want to reiterate what a great character Martha is. Too often in comics (or TV, or movies, or literature. etc.) the existence of a deeply religious character serves one of two purposes: to highlight his/her piety, or to highlight his/her hypocrisy. Like all Out There characters, Martha is no cardboard cutout. She exists in the strip, as do all others, to highlight her humanity.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 pm

12/21 strip:

I'm kinda wondering why RC is back on the same tack as he was two weeks ago; I, for one, already got the point. Maybe he's gonna cross us up somehow by Friday.

Sherry and Chuck seem so domestic now! It's like they're already married. The other "official" couple—Ari and James—are in the throes of "new love", and the "unofficial" couple—Mir and Steven—are rarely seen wearing pants when in each other's company. If these two (Sherry and Chuck) aren't CLEARLY either naked or about to be in Friday's strip, I'm declaring them officially wed.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:13 pm

And while on the subject of S&C's passion:

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:I'm CERTAIN that the reason we don't see anyone below the waist in this strip and the two that follow it is because NO ONE'S WEARING ANY PANTS!

I'll be on the lookout for more examples!

http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20100630.html

http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20100703.html

Anyone see any evidence of below-the-waist attire on our favorite bar owner here?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:If these two (Sherry and Chuck) aren't CLEARLY either naked or about to be in Friday's strip, I'm declaring them officially wed.

Crazy as it sounds, I have it on good authority that these days some MARRIED people occasionally submit to various states of undress while in the presence of their spouse. Just goes to show you that nothing is shocking in these weird, wacky times in which we live.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:54 pm

rcmonroe wrote:Crazy as it sounds, I have it on good authority that these days some MARRIED people occasionally submit to various states of undress while in the presence of their spouse.

Sickos.

12/23 strip:

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I'm not sure I get today's punchline. What did Sherry think Chuck was going to say? My guess is it has something to do with someone shoving *something else* down his throat, but I'm not sure. RC? Anyone?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby biev on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Ooh, nice one today RC.
Yeah I was just dropping by to say that.
Merry Christmas! : )
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby biev on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
rcmonroe wrote:Crazy as it sounds, I have it on good authority that these days some MARRIED people occasionally submit to various states of undress while in the presence of their spouse.

Sickos.

12/23 strip:

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I'm not sure I get today's punchline. What did Sherry think Chuck was going to say? My guess is it has something to do with someone shoving *something else* down his throat, but I'm not sure. RC? Anyone?

It was subtle enough to slip by, but reinforced by the "rooting for the other team" : )
Cute that Chuck doesn't catch it either.
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:23 pm

biev wrote:It was subtle enough to slip by, but reinforced by the "rooting for the other team".

Oh, I totally should have picked up on that! Thanks.

Merry Christmas everybody!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:55 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:My guess is it has something to do with someone shoving *something else* down his throat, but I'm not sure. RC? Anyone?

You got it. It wasn't one of the strip's brightest moments. I probably felt the need to hide the punchline a little since it was basically junior high humor.

biev wrote:It was subtle enough to slip by, but reinforced by the "rooting for the other team"

Just a coincidence, believe it or not. Didn't think of the connotation until you pointed it out.

biev and LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Merry Christmas!

Thank you. And to all a good night.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby biev on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 am

RC wrote:Just a coincidence, believe it or not. Didn't think of the connotation until you pointed it out.

Haha really? It was a good accidental joke then. I thought you wanted to keep it subtle so that the type of people who might find it offensive would overlook it ; )

Either way I like it when a joke isn't too obvious. Then I get to feel smart catching it : P
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:07 pm

biev wrote:
RC wrote:Just a coincidence, believe it or not. Didn't think of the connotation until you pointed it out.

Haha really? It was a good accidental joke then. I thought you wanted to keep it subtle so that the type of people who might find it offensive would overlook it ; )

Either way I like it when a joke isn't too obvious. Then I get to feel smart catching it : P

I'm so subtle even I don't understand half of what I write.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 am

rcmonroe wrote:
biev wrote:

I'm so subtle even I don't understand half of what I write.

Don't you love it when those Freudians slip up on you while you're writing? :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Out There