Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:58 am

SAGG wrote:Quite frankly, even for Martha, her being drunk while coming home would be an incredibly stupid thing to do because it could open her up to being vulnerable to assault by stalkers.

And Martha's incapable of doing something incredibly stupid? What, you think she usually leaves a bar stone cold sober?

SAGG wrote:Why come home drunk, then drink some more?

Because she hasn't had enough to pass out yet?

SAGG wrote:Could you even fix the drink then?

Where there's a will there's a way.

She MIGHT have been trying to be funny, but I think if Martha says she's drunk, she's drunk. Now, the term "drunk" for her might cover the gamut between "mildly tipsy" and "shit-faced", so we don't know how drunk she is. But it seems well established that she's pretty serious about drinking, so I trust her when she says she's drunk.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BiBBi83 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:22 am

That was such a cute strip today. Made me all warm and fuzzy inside. It was a true moment of "D'aawwwww!" ^.^

Also, I can't even begin to imagine someone who married their first crush. First bf/gf, sure, but first crush? Btw, I like Becca more and more every time we see her. :)
BiBBi83
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm

BiBBi83 wrote:Also, I can't even begin to imagine someone who married their first crush. First bf/gf, sure, but first crush? Btw, I like Becca more and more every time we see her.

Even more amazing is she married that 1st crush after knowing he cheated with Miriam, and then stayed with him after his early extra-marital affairs. Definitely a testament to unconditional love, forgiveness, insanity, stupidity, or any or all of the above.

I like her too, though. Especially when she and Miriam interact, the contrasts between the two of them make for some interesting conversations.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 am

1/18 strip:

I don't have a clear read on Greg yet. He seems a little devious to me. I see where he's going with this—he's angling towards forcing Ginny to accept his online friendship with Mir—what I'm unsure of at this point is whether he ultimately desires a more-than-friends-relationship with her. Maybe he's not even sure himself. And what does Miriam want out of it?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 am

1/24 strip:

I like how Miriam seems genuinely concerned about her mom's well-being... but she never calls her. It's very Miriam, and very relatable.

I also like how she always looks as though she's wearing heavy mascara and eye shadow, even when she's in the shower or just waking up. But this is the first time I can ever remember actually seeing her applying it.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:11 pm

(From the 1/26 comic) Is Miriam riding the bus to work? Where's her car? Did she get rid of it? Just curious...
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

She sometimes takes the bus. She still has her car, just isn't using it right now.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby BiBBi83 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:14 am

In all fairness, Miriam, you're not an alcoholoc - you're a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to parties, remember? :D
BiBBi83
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby furrykef on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 am

I really like how in today's strip (Feb. 3) Rod manages to be subtly unsubtle.
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am

Assuming today (2/3) is the end of this arc, we saw a side of Miriam this week that we don't usually see. She still likes Rod (that's why she blushed when he suggested whatever kinky-ass thing he suggested in Monday's strip) but she won't sleep with him because of the affect it will have on her friend Ari. The first time she thought it would be okay because she didn't know how on again/off again they were; once she learned different her behavior around Rod changed completely. She barely even flirts with him anymore, certainly not like she does with John, or Clayton, or James, or Chuck. The two guys she's the least flirtatious with are Rod and Wally—because they're the ones she wants to avoid sleeping with due to her friendships with Ari and Rebecca. She wouldn't sleep with Chuck again either, but she flirts with him because she knows he's "safe".

RC will show Mir and Rod waking up together on Monday just to discredit me, you watch!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DannyBoy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:27 am

I like how "It's complicated" goes into quotation marks (even while inside the dialogue balloon).
DannyBoy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 am

(From the 2/20 comic) I think John's just flat-out scared of Miriam. :lol: Can't say that I blame him, either. :evilgrin: On another note, how's that apartment hunting going, you two? :lol: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 am

If John's ever been even remotely tempted to succumb to Miriam's advances he's repeatedly shown the ability to overcome it. Is he afraid of sleeping with her? I dunno... it's possible. Whatever the reason he's chosen to be celibate, it doesn't seem to me like it's out of fear. He seems to be very comfortable around the women in his life, just doesn't want to get busy with them for some reason. I wonder if we'll ever find out why? It's been almost six years, RC!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby furrykef on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 am

But if we knew, it'd spoil the fun, wouldn't it? :P
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 am

(From the 2/27 comic) You know, I can maybe give a reasonable guess where this is going: Steven might eventually be employed at Sherry's bar as a singer for tips! :o Get a piano player, and he could be in business! :lol: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:17 pm

That would require Sherry to cut him a break. She's still got too much resentment for that.

Could happen eventually though, I suppose.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 am

(From the 3/2 comic) Geez, Miriam, could you be any more humble over your beauty and ego? :lol: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:13 am

(From the 3/5 comic) Why do I foresee Carmen trying to dissuade Ari from seeing James? :-? :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 pm

We don't really know too much about Carmen yet, except that she's one hell of a partier. Unless James does something to piss her off (which is possible if not likely), I can't see that she'd have any reason to try to keep Ari from doing whatever she wants to do.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 am

Dang, Carmen is HOT!

Now, bear with me on this...

When Ari met Miriam, she must have noticed the obvious similarities between her and Carmen. Ari liked Miriam from the very start ("She's a delight", was her description). Although she often has said Miriam "isn't her type" it's clear that she's attracted to her; physically, at least. Is it possible that the duality of "I'm attracted to her/she's not my type" has ANYTHING at all to do with how much she reminds her of her cousin? And is it possible that Ari is (or was) attracted to Carmen first? Would R.C. even go there? In this strip I always assumed that Ari was just playing off Rod's joke about Ari and her cousin dating. She probably is, but maybe there's a hint of truth to it too?

I don't know, I might be miles off base on this. Someone tell me I am, and I'll give it a rest.

Either way, Carmen's still hot.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Out There