Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby SAGG on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 am

(From 10/7 comic) Huh? That was quite a jump from James to Miriam, wasn't it, RC? :-? For a second there, I thought Ari was seeing James as Miriam somehow, going through a fantasy sequence. :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Ships of Fools (Wk of 10/3/11)

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Of course, the whole darn thing—from Miriam picking up the hitchhiking John to today's strip and beyond—is a fantasy sequence.

The jump was intentionally jarring, to accentuate how unexpected Miriam's appearance was. You could have seen it coming, though: in last week's sequence Miriam & Co. were in the car driving home.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I didn't have any problem with Miriam's sudden appearance.

I did have a problem with her forgetting to stock the condom machine. Miriam of all people should remember to do that.

Hi everyone! I'm new!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:46 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:I didn't have any problem with Miriam's sudden appearance.

I did have a problem with her forgetting to stock the condom machine. Miriam of all people should remember to do that.

Hi everyone! I'm new!

Hello, and welcome. Now, we'll have two posters! :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Yay!

That just makes our opinions all the more valid, right?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:44 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:Yay!

That just makes our opinions all the more valid, right?

:nervous: Ummmmmmmm....sure! :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Is Miriam still crushing on Ari, or did she finally get over that? Seems like she might be trying to sabotage Ari/James, but doesn't want to be too obvious about it.

Also, I love the use of the phrase "step out of the line of fire." Guess Mir doesn't want to get hit by any flying… uh…
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am

10/11/11 strip:

Ari looks sooooo sexy in the first two panels, but Martha steals the show in panel number three. That look is priceless.

Interesting that James is clearly NOT one of those guys who is turned on by the thought of his girlfriend (or prospective girlfriend) getting it on with another chick. Kind of refreshing, actually.

Thoughts?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:08 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:10/11/11 strip:

Ari looks sooooo sexy in the first two panels, but Martha steals the show in panel number three. That look is priceless.

Interesting that James is clearly NOT one of those guys who is turned on by the thought of his girlfriend (or prospective girlfriend) getting it on with another chick. Kind of refreshing, actually.

Thoughts?

Agreed. I never could understand that, truth be told... :-?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm

10/13/11 strip:

Ari sure changed her mind in a hurry, didn't she? I think James is going to blame Miriam for this, but it really wasn't her fault.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:10/13/11 strip:

Ari sure changed her mind in a hurry, didn't she? I think James is going to blame Miriam for this, but it really wasn't her fault.

James jumped the gun, truth be told. If he's not careful, he'll drive Ari away. :roll:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:40 pm

He overreacted a little, sure. But can you blame him? He should have been cooler about it, but if I were him, I'd be pissed too.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:42 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:He overreacted a little, sure. But can you blame him? He should have been cooler about it, but if I were him, I'd be pissed too.

Without meaning to, Miriam's mom is really stirring the pot, isn't she? How does she do it? :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:26 am

10/17 strip:

Unless I'm misinterpreting Miriam's sexy body language (panel 1) and coy smile (Panel 2), I'd say she's still got a fire burnin' for Ari. And Ari still doesn't get it! She will soon enough, though, I'll bet. I think Miriam's going to make some kind of move sooner or later. Maybe calling her out in panel 4 is the first step. Martha sees it, too, and isn't very comfortable with the idea.

I think this pot's stirring itself, Martha just unwittingly added a spice or two.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:10/17 strip:

Unless I'm misinterpreting Miriam's sexy body language (panel 1) and coy smile (Panel 2), I'd say she's still got a fire burnin' for Ari. And Ari still doesn't get it! She will soon enough, though, I'll bet. I think Miriam's going to make some kind of move sooner or later. Maybe calling her out in panel 4 is the first step. Martha sees it, too, and isn't very comfortable with the idea.

I think this pot's stirring itself, Martha just unwittingly added a spice or two.

Sooo, does this mean James's fears are right and justified about Miriam and Ari? 8)
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 am

SAGG wrote:

Sooo, does this mean James's fears are right and justified about Miriam and Ari? 8)

I won't comment on whether LDG is onto any future plot developments, but James' suspicions are that something already has happened between M & A. He's jumping the gun on that one; the most intimate thing they've ever done is hug.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

rcmonroe wrote:
SAGG wrote:

I won't comment on whether LDG is onto any future plot developments, but James' suspicions are that something already has happened between M & A. He's jumping the gun on that one; the most intimate thing they've ever done is hug.

Thank you for the response, RC! :D :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:17 pm

rcmonroe wrote:I won't comment on whether LDG is onto any future plot developments, but James' suspicions are that something already has happened between M & A. He's jumping the gun on that one; the most intimate thing they've ever done is hug.

You mean you're not going to reveal your whole story here in the Out There forum? We still have to read the comic strip every day? Well, okay.

10/20 strip:

I think John likes the physical closeness he and Miriam have. I know he never initiates it, but when she sits in his lap or lays down on top of him he usually doesn't protest. My theory on why he seems impatient for her to get up and walk Ari out to her cab in today's strip is that he, like me, is an Ari/Mir shipper!
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
rcmonroe wrote:I won't comment on whether LDG is onto any future plot developments, but James' suspicions are that something already has happened between M & A. He's jumping the gun on that one; the most intimate thing they've ever done is hug.

You mean you're not going to reveal your whole story here in the Out There forum? We still have to read the comic strip every day? Well, okay.

10/20 strip:

I think John likes the physical closeness he and Miriam have. I know he never initiates it, but when she sits in his lap or lays down on top of him he usually doesn't protest. My theory on why he seems impatient for her to get up and walk Ari out to her cab in today's strip is that he, like me, is an Ari/Mir shipper!

I think John feels a little sorry for Miriam, and just wants to be a friend to her. There was something about her that he took pity from the first time they met when she picked him up on the road. When you think about it, Miriam's a sad person. Is it possible her smoking and alcoholic conditions have to do with her deceased dad and her issues with her mom? Is it also possible that if it wasn't for people like Sherry (and later John) to support her that Miriam would have been in the gutter, or even a casket? :o
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 am

10/21: I miss Martha already. I think this has been a fascinating arc; I've been very impressed by how R. C. has shown the love and closeness between Miriam and her mom as well as the alienation from one another they both sometimes feel. The relationships in this comic strip are never simplistic or easy to pin down. Very realistic, always compelling.

SAGG wrote:I think John feels a little sorry for Miriam, and just wants to be a friend to her. There was something about her that he took pity from the first time they met when she picked him up on the road. When you think about it, Miriam's a sad person. Is it possible her smoking and alcoholic conditions have to do with her deceased dad and her issues with her mom? Is it also possible that if it wasn't for people like Sherry (and later John) to support her that Miriam would have been in the gutter, or even a casket? :o

I'm sure a lot of Miriam's issues stem from her childhood; that's normal. I don't see her as a sad person, though. I see her as acutely aware of herself. She fully comprehends her shortcomings and on some level accepts the ones she doesn't feel she will be able to change, and (sometimes) gets motivated to try to change the others. She's definitely searching for something, definitely doesn't feel complete. But sad? Naah.

As for John, I think he puts up with her using him as a pillow more often these days than in the past. She's grown on him, and maybe he likes physically feeling her touch in spite of himself. In a sensual, but not sexual way. Make sense?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

10/26:

So...

I'm thinking Ari's "I don't know what I'd—" can be roughly translated as "I know exactly what I'd—!"

But we all knew that. The only question now is will Ari and Mir ever be on the same page at the same time.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby sapphite on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:But we all knew that. The only question now is will Ari and Mir ever be on the same page at the same time.

We can only hope... and bad pleading eyes at RC. :o

I've very much enjoyed the Martha strips. She stirred the pot a lot as SAGG said, but I just like *her* as well. Best in small doses - her *and* MIriam would probably be exhausting in the long run.
sapphite
Junior Keenspotter

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 am

sapphite wrote:Best in small doses - her *and* MIriam would probably be exhausting in the long run.

Gawd yes. The only question is would we all kill ourselves before they killed each other!

Actually, I'm sure RC would make it entertaining.

10/28 strip:

So James shows up at Ari's door after all that? And we have to wait until Monday to find out what happens next? RC is evil.
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SAGG on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:
sapphite wrote:Best in small doses - her *and* MIriam would probably be exhausting in the long run.

Gawd yes. The only question is would we all kill ourselves before they killed each other!

Actually, I'm sure RC would make it entertaining.

10/28 strip:

So James shows up at Ari's door after all that? And we have to wait until Monday to find out what happens next? RC is evil.

You are learning well about RC, Young Grasshopper. :D I predict James is going to pull a mea culpa and ask for Ari's forgiveness for jumping the gun about her and Miriam. Look, he has no choice, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, the man has a gorgeous babe who's a lawyer who likes him! :lol: James would be an idiot to throw that away! Plus, I mean, what job does he have outside of the bar?? I don't think it pays well, does it, RC? James needs all of the help he can get! :nervous:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 pm

SAGG wrote:James would be an idiot to throw that away! Plus, I mean, what job does he have outside of the bar?? I don't think it pays well, does it, RC?

The bar is indeed his only job. It doesn't pay all that great, especially considering he doesn't work full-time.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Out There