Miriam Chatting

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Miriam Chatting

Postby Halgarr on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm surprised that Miriam does her live Internet chatting in complete sentences in standard English. I would have thought she'd use the common shorthand, with "U" instead of "you," LOL, WTF, and so on. It's been a long time since I did any live chatting on a desktop computer--people usually use a cell phone for that these days.
Halgarr
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Miriam Chatting

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:57 am

There's a good reason Miriam chats with Greg over the Internet rather than on the phone:
http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20101021.html

As for why she's chatting as opposed to using something more sensible like Skype… well, there's no good reason for it, except I didn't think about it (you can tell how much I use these forms of communication). Miriam hasn't been online hardly at all since before she moved to Portstown, so maybe chatting is all she knows.

As for LOL, WTF, etc.… I'm old and probably overly attached to the language they taught me in school. For years I cringed at the sight of misspellings, incorrect punctuation, bad grammar… and a reliance on abbreviations. And that was before the Internet came along. Can't help it—I'm a product of my time and place.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Halgarr on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:17 pm

I tend to use proper English in text messages myself.
Halgarr
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RoyGBiv on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Plenty of people type properly... Actually the kinds of people who use the Internet less probably would type in full sentences. As for Skype, I assume if phoning him was a bad idea, talking to him on Skype via mic and/or cam would be just as bad... Especially if it's cam, I'm sure his girlfriend would be jealous. Plus, using IM isn't exactly weird, plenty of people I know who have mics and webcams mainly talk to people online using instant messages. I'm included there.
RoyGBiv
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Greg's trying to hide the fact that he talks to Miriam, so that's why they have a no-call rule (the phone could ring when he's hanging out with Ginny). Internet contact would be easier to hide.

When I first got on Facebook, I found out that lots of people like to use the chat function. Since 95% my Facebook friends are people I actually know in real life, they all have my phone number, and I'd generally prefer that they just call me up if they have something to say. But that's not the world we live in anymore.

Chatting has its place. Texting, on the other hand, is completely incomprehensible to me. But that's another story.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby RoyGBiv on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Well if you just wanna say something quickly I guess people find it easier to just drop you a message online. I'm one of the people who would check the Facebook chat before I picked up the phone too :D

True, Skype is still easier to hide than the phone. But I was just meaning to say that I personally didn't find it weird that they weren't chatting with something like Skype rather than an instant messenger. And I'm the kind of person who watches TV/other fiction and has to say "Computers don't WORK like that anymore" every time something vaguely inaccurate to modern society happens. :D
RoyGBiv
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Out There