Out There Book(s) News

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Out There: The Book

Postby Serge Stiles on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Ohhh, okay.

Hmm, I wonder if this means there will be a delay for my book one. Because I haven't gotten it yet and it's been a week, I think.
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 am

I don't know how long it takes for them to fill an order. If you haven't gotten it within three or four weeks, let them know.

Thanks for ordering it, by the way.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 am

I will.

And thanks for making it. :)
What he did not know then is that sometimes an appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:41 am

Volume II is now shipping, check out the ad on the home page. Yay.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:35 pm

I believe the correct internet phrase for this situation is: "DO WANT!"

Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby diddledop on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:49 pm

I just ordered the book on Saturday and I've already received it! The bonus story is excellently drawn. I'll comment more later as I get more time to peruse it all.
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Woo hoo! Thanks for your purchase. I was thinking about starting a thread for the bonus story but I wasn't sure if enough people would buy the book. Anyway, if anyone wants to yak about the bonus story, I'll leave it up to them to start a new thread.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 pm

And man, I still haven't gotten the first book that was ordered a few weeks ago.

E-mailed, still waiting for a response.

Think if I were to buy the second one, I'd do it at I Have The Power.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:28 pm

As I understand it, I Have the Power has basically replaced the old Keenspot store. It's the same folks, they've just moved to a different storefront and thrown up a new sign.

I just e-mailed Chris (Keenspot CEO) to let him know your book hasn't arrived. He usually gets back to me relatively promptly, I'll let you know what he says.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:48 pm

OH, okay. I was wondering why you 'changed.' I guess I didn't make that connection, thanks for clarification, and thanks for e-mailing. :) At least now the longer I wait the more amazing it will be when I get it... Just hopefully not TOO much longer. :lol:
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 pm

I've received word that the PayPal orders should be shipped by the end of this week.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serge Stiles on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am

Ok, thanks. :)
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serge Stiles on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:50 pm

GOT IT! :) What a nice Halloween present!

I love it, RC. I love not having to click next, LOL
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Just put Book No. 3 to bed. As always, it will be available at the Keenspot booth at the San Diego Comic-Con (I’ll be there to sign copies and to guffaw at the silly costumes), and then shortly thereafter here.

Don’t all raise your hands at once.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Re: Out There Book News

Postby diddledop on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:28 am

Will Book III contain bonus material as did Book II or a continuation of that?
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 am

diddledop wrote:Will Book III contain bonus material as did Book II or a continuation of that?

There will be bonus material. See the April 18 announcement on my home page for details.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks, I just read it. I could have saved myself a post.

I'm looking forward to those never-before-seen Sunday strips!
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Just What Does This Mean, I Wonder...?

Postby SAGG on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:41 pm

From RC:

"What’s in the book? Well, as usual, an entire year of Out There strips, plus some extra stuff exclusive to the book. First of all, there’s the cover, scribbled with the usual lack of panache by yours truly, but transformed into a gorgeous flower due to the brilliant coloring of the soon-to-be-famous Danny Green. (You’ll have to stay tuned to find out why he’s soon to be famous. For now it’s a secret. But trust me, it’s happening.)"

Hmmm...is RC speaking only about those 81 color Sunday strips being in his book, or does he mean we might be gettin' some colorin' in the online comic itself...? :evilgrin: :rootbeer:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Just What Does This Mean, I Wonder...?

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:24 pm

SAGG, I moved this post to the Out There Books thread; it seemed appropriate.

SAGG wrote:From RC:

"What’s in the book? Well, as usual, an entire year of Out There strips, plus some extra stuff exclusive to the book. First of all, there’s the cover, scribbled with the usual lack of panache by yours truly, but transformed into a gorgeous flower due to the brilliant coloring of the soon-to-be-famous Danny Green. (You’ll have to stay tuned to find out why he’s soon to be famous. For now it’s a secret. But trust me, it’s happening.)"

Hmmm...is RC speaking only about those 81 color Sunday strips being in his book, or does he mean we might be gettin' some colorin' in the online comic itself...? :evilgrin: :rootbeer:

Unfortunately, I was only referring to the cover having color; the cost of printing the Sunday strips in color would have been prohibitive—it would have made the book cost way too much and I want the book to be affordable to all. They’re “Sunday” strips because of their format, not because they have color (since they don’t). And to further clarify, it’s not 81 strips, just 81 panels; it’s only ten Sunday strips (20 pages—each strip takes up two pages.) Sorry for the misunderstanding. 81 strips—jeez, I don’t have that kind of time. Wish I did.

As far as the online strips ever being in color—once again, I wish I had that kind of time. The comic strip for me is a balancing act; I could spend more time on the artwork. I could color it, I could make it more detailed, I could spend time on the backgrounds rather than ignoring them or filling them with my quickie scribblings—but something would have to give. And that something would be the frequency of updates.

When I started the strip, I made a decision—new strips six days a week. That meant compromising in other areas. I don’t know if I’ve made the right decision; maybe color would have been better, maybe more detailed artwork would have been better, maybe both. But it’s the decision I made. At this point, my feeling is that the readers appreciate a new strip every day and would rather have that than a prettier strip every other day or once or twice a week. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I would love to increase Out There to seven days a week with color on Sundays—and I’m an optimistic sort, I think that will happen someday. But not right now. I just don’t have the time.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Re: Out There Book(s) News

Postby Serge Stiles on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Don't fret RC - I think you got it right! With the right choices.

Colour takes a lot more time to do than people think, and it doesn't make that much of a difference. I mean yeah, I guess it's nice, but you don't need it. Out There is charming the way its drawn. I like the use of only lines that are necessary for that panel. I envy your comic style you have.

For our comic, we don't even have backgrounds, but it still takes me forever to colour and after I'm done inking, I sit back and think... Damn I wish I didn't have to colour this, it would be done so much faster.
Serge Stiles
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Book III

Postby diddledop on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:38 am

When? I'm starting to feel some anxiety! Could you speak of it a bit as well? Thank you.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:00 am

diddledop, I moved your post here.

The third book (entitled Draft Picks) is at the printers now. We expect it to be ready in time for the Comic-Con (end of July) and it should be available for online ordering shortly thereafter.

See previous few posts (above) for more details.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:04 am

Now if I can only make it through July! I also think you should release a film as well.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:09 am

The book’s out now! Order it here.

Film’s a bit more expensive than paper, but if enough of the books sell…

…oh, right.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby diddledop on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks, I just completed the order.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Out There