Out There Book(s) News

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Out There Book News

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:00 am

It looks like I'll be putting out a book. And there was much rejoicing. Well, in my house, anyway.

THE PLAN:
1) The entire first year's archives will be in the book.
2) A bonus story, maybe 20 pages-ish, will also be included, and will only be available in the book (i.e., not published online)
3) The book will be available by July 25, 2007, in time for me to appear at the San Diego Comic-Con to sell the book and pretend I'm a real cartoonist.

In order to accomplish all this, I'm going to need to step it up. Since I prefer sitting around doing nothing to stepping it up, there's a good chance I won't have everything done in time for the Con. All that means is that I won't be there, and that the book will come out sometime later than that. I could put out a half-assed book in time for the Con, but I don't wanna.

So, that's the news. A book, sometime in the coming year. A possible appearance at the Comic-Con. Fewer hours sitting around doing nothing.

More info as it becomes available.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby biev on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Awesome! Almost in time for my birthday too. I promise to buy it : )

Who knows, maybe I'll see you at Comic-Con. I haven't been able to make it to any of the other ones but my luck is bound to change eventually : P I don't think I'll have enough merch to make getting a table worthwile by July, but I'll be lurking around.
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:13 am

biev wrote:Awesome! Almost in time for my birthday too. I promise to buy it : )

Who knows, maybe I'll see you at Comic-Con. I haven't been able to make it to any of the other ones but my luck is bound to change eventually : P I don't think I'll have enough merch to make getting a table worthwile by July, but I'll be lurking around.

Cool! I'm probably only going to be there if the book is done, but I'll be burning the candle at both ends to make that happen, so we'll see. I think there's a decent chance I'll get the book done in time.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Re: Out There: The Book

Postby AxoniteSV3 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:50 pm

rcmonroe wrote:THE PLAN:
1) The entire first year's archives will be in the book.
2) A bonus story, maybe 20 pages-ish, will also be included, and will only be available in the book (i.e., not published online)
3) The book will be available by July 25, 2007, in time for me to appear at the San Diego Comic-Con to sell the book and pretend I'm a real cartoonist.

Sounds good! :)

Is the book coming out through Keenspot?
ImageImage
AxoniteSV3
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby biev on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 pm

That's a good question. Where do they print their books?
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:49 pm

AxoniteSV3 wrote:Is the book coming out through Keenspot?

Yes.

biev wrote:Where do they print their books?

http://www.comixpress.com
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby biev on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:27 am

Really... It's not like you needed them for that, then v(' ')v I guess they fork out the ~30$ setup fees? Are you getting perfect bound or staples?

Comixpress lets you sell for cheap, which is great. And you get to pick if you want ads. But gah, it takes them so long to process an order and they don't answer their emails. Ever (-_-);
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:36 am

biev wrote:Really... It's not like you needed them for that, then v(' ')v I guess they fork out the ~30$ setup fees? Are you getting perfect bound or staples?

Comixpress lets you sell for cheap, which is great. And you get to pick if you want ads. But gah, it takes them so long to process an order and they don't answer their emails. Ever (-_-);

To be honest I haven't really looked too much into the process. Basically I asked the Keenspot folks, "Can I do a book?", and they said, "yes, you can."

If I was immensely popular Keenspot would be willing to do a large advance print run because they'd be willing to gamble on the whole run selling out. Since I'm not that popular (yet!) they understandably aren't willing to make such a risky investment, but they do allow me to go the POD (print on demand) route, which basically means we tell people there's a book and they only print a copy if/when someone orders one.

Additionally, if I'm going to be at Comic-Con to promote the book, they're willing to print some books because they figure a few sales are all but automatic in that situation.

So it's pretty much up to me to get a book ready by then. I'm kind of overwhelmed trying to get the material ready in time. I'm workin' on it though.

EDIT:
Perfect bound vs. staples? Dunno, haven't looked into that yet. Another decision by which to be overwhelmed.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby jkandra on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Good luck on the book and the "Outstanding Newcomer" award. I haven't seen the competition, so based on what I've seen, You'll win hands down.
jkandra
Junior Keenspotter

Postby biev on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm

I'd definitely go with perfect bound. There's gotta be a higher base price, but I think people would rather pay for something that looks like a real book, as in something that wouldn't look out of place in a bookstore, as opposed to something that's just been thrown together and stapled and would belong in the comic stand of the local used record store : )
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:12 am

biev wrote:I'd definitely go with perfect bound. There's gotta be a higher base price, but I think people would rather pay for something that looks like a real book, as in something that wouldn't look out of place in a bookstore, as opposed to something that's just been thrown together and stapled and would belong in the comic stand of the local used record store : )

I'm looking at over 150 pages, so perfect bound is probably the only viable option.

jkandra wrote:Good luck on the book and the "Outstanding Newcomer" award. I haven't seen the competition, so based on what I've seen, You'll win hands down.

Thanks, Joe. Actually the competition is quite good. I'm just happy to have been considered.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby biev on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:10 am

[no longer funny since the bot's message was removed : P]
Last edited by biev on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thatsthespirit on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Terrific! Let me one among many to say that's great news, and I will definitely buy it. You're a very talented guy, and I can't wait to see your work in print.
thatsthespirit
Junior Keenspotter

Book progress

Postby diddledop on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:19 pm

How are you coming on the book? I can't wait to order it.

Will we be able to do so here at Keenspot?
Somewhere between Truth and Lies lies reality.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Here's the update on the book:

I'm workin' on it.

Unfortunately, I've already had to make a compromise to my original plan (which was outlined in the first post in this thread).

I didn't want to postpone publication until after the Comic-Con, and I didn't want to include less than a year's worth of strips in the book, so the thing that had to give was the extra story. I've written the story, but I don't have time to draw it if I'm going to meet my deadline. Maybe I'll save it for Book Two.

In its place I'll probably just devote a page, or maybe a couple of pages, to each of the main characters, kind of like the "Cast" page on the website but with a bit more information and some original drawings. Hopefully I'll have time to do this.

Other than that, all I can say is that it's coming along, and I really hope I can get it done in time. And yes, you'll be able to buy it on Keenspot, they'll be the ones publishing it.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

The extra 20 pages

Postby diddledop on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 pm

I was really looking forward to the 20. So I guess we'll have to wait a whole nuther year then, huh? Well, maybe the 20 could grow to 40 or more.

If they can't publish that part, maybe you could offer a download deal on it. But I suppose not. Just wishing I didn't have to wait is all.

BTW, I wonder where all the characters will be one year from now. Who will they be with or who will they have been involved with?
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The extra 20 pages

Postby rcmonroe on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:13 pm

diddledop wrote:I was really looking forward to the 20. So I guess we'll have to wait a whole nuther year then, huh? Well, maybe the 20 could grow to 40 or more.

Believe me, I'm at least as disappointed as you are.

diddledop wrote:If they can't publish that part, maybe you could offer a download deal on it. But I suppose not. Just wishing I didn't have to wait is all.

If I can't make my deadline (to publish in time for the Con), then there will no longer be any need to rush things. That means the book will come out "whenever," and I can include the extra story after all. Which will probably mean waiting three or four months rather than a year. So we'll see.

diddledop wrote:BTW, I wonder where all the characters will be one year from now. Who will they be with or who will they have been involved with?

I shudder to think.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby thatsthespirit on Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:29 pm

Is the book out yet?

Is the book out yet?

How 'bout now? Is it out now?

Sorry, I'm excited.

--

http://www.thatsthespiritcomic.blogspot.com/
thatsthespirit
Junior Keenspotter

Postby biev on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 pm

I'm hungry! I need to pee! That'sthespirit keeps putting his leg on my side! Can we stop at McDonald's?
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 pm

I thought I told you kids to read a book before we got on the road!

Anyway
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby biev on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:01 am

I'll drop by and buy one if only to prove you wrong.
biev
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am

Fair enough.

I love being wrong anyway, it makes me feel more like an actual human.
Last edited by rcmonroe on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Anonymous#1 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:37 pm

If it's out at my local bookstore, then I might get it. How much is it again?
Anonymous#1
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 pm

It won't be. But it can be ordered through Keenspot.

As for the price, I'm not sure, but when I was looking at 190-ish pages I was told Keenspot usually prices a book that size at $12.95.

I think I'm going to be closer to 150 pages so maybe that'll knock a buck or two off the price, I'm not sure.

I'll let everyone know more when I know more.[/b]
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

The Big Screen

Postby diddledop on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm waiting for the movie, too.
diddledop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Out There