Should I bring back LWIBH!?

The pursuit of criminally insane women is a noble one.

Moderators: MandieK, SKuehner

Yes! I miss it!
100%
NO! We don't need it.
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby SKuehner on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:39 am

This is the question that's on my mind.
Look What I Brought Home!
Our comic is on Keenspot. That proves it's good.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Heatherface. on Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 pm

!!!!

YES!!

(Whooooa it took too long to remember I had a dot after my name on here. Eh heh...)
Heatherface.
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kid_reaper on Sat May 05, 2007 8:22 pm

I wrote a rant about why LWIBH should return, but a lot of it got erased by Internet Explorer. Basically, here's most of it:

1) There is a striking lack of new sexually charged raunch being made to meet possible demand, evidenced by the popularity of Sexy Losers's archives and Space Moose's mirrors. LWIBH was one of the premier and most well written raunchy webcomics and its return should be welcome.

2) While I understand you started CiL and disavowed LWIBH since becoming a better person, people like me saw LWIBH as just a really funny webcomic that never had any radical ideas to push and was just good clean raunchy, over-the-top fun. It pushed buttons and some people picked on it because, frankly, many were prudes that (perhaps ironically) wanted to see manga.

3) CiL has revolved around Stephanie, who has thus far been scary and not yet particularly fun unto herself. Shamrock was absent in many later LWIBHs, and has not yet in CiL shown as much personality as he did in LWIBH. CiL is a very good webcomic but has yet to feel as freespirited as your other stuff.

In comparison, LWIBH started rough but developed into an unpredictable and fun webcomic. As a fan, I guess it's because Emily was a universally more fun, freespirited character than Stephanie and seemed to lead a more entertaining life. LWIBH also achieved a cast of likeable characters over time, which CiL has yet to do. LWIBH seemed to have a lot of freedom in its storytelling, and you fleshed out the cast in far more meaningful and interesting ways than anyone might've foreseen. Even when LWIBH could've stagnated, there was always the chance for a shakeup like the Killer Blank story.

In time, CiL should just as easily experience a similar progression and Stephanie should be able to do much cooler stuff than she has. But from where each strip left off, CiL had been more about waiting for something to happen whereas LWIBH was just enjoying what was happening.

4) I actually miss LWIBH's characters, their interactions and following their messed up lives more than the raunch (though I do quite miss the raunch). And of course, I miss the yellow bar with tagline.

Both strips have their pluses (CiL has loads of potentials) and I almost wonder if we could see both being done concurrently. If I had to choose based on my last impressions of them, I'd go with LWIBH, which remains one of my favorite webcomics ever.
kid_reaper
Junior Keenspotter

Postby SKuehner on Sun May 06, 2007 8:57 am

Wowee wow wow. Well, we're averaging about 1.5 votes per week since I set up this wee poll.

I have to say I miss doing the old comic. CiL was fun but it was 'structured fun,' i.e. I was being so careful and putting SO much thought into things... Something was definitely lost.

I had been working through a new run of CiL (got about a week's worth fully completed) but I'm not doing what comes naturally. That goes against most everything I've come to stand for.

LWIBH will return later in the year. Write it down.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Heatherface. on Sun May 06, 2007 2:53 pm

My best suggestion would be to have them co-exist in the same comic, so you could do multiple storylines with the characters but not get tired of skank jokes or trying to be serious.
Heatherface.
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SKuehner on Tue May 08, 2007 8:10 am

I thought about that Heather, but my plan is to return Beau (with Chapman) to LWIBH and Stephanie will be off doing her own thing. Possibly drawn by someone else.

LWIBH work is underway though, I drew a couple last night. No preparation, no thought, I just went at it. Old-school. :-) Feels pretty good.

Right now my plan is to return the first of September, but if I get far enough along I might just jump back in sooner.

See y'all!
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Heatherface. on Tue May 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Huh. I wonder if I could come up with any Stephanie storylines. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. Worst that happens is I post my ideas and say "Look at the crap I came up with. This is why I shouldn't write comics." 8)
Heatherface.
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Locoma on Wed May 09, 2007 8:40 am

Yet I agree with every item of kid_reaper post, I'm always up for change.
Yes, LWIBH was a blast, but you had to move on... I would have. I'm not saying that going back to scattonville would be a bad idea, I'm just saying that CiL was worthy because you got out of the LWIBH bubble.
Locoma by Monk
Locoma
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jason. on Thu May 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Kind of all about it. Thought CiL would've been a bit more...updatey by now. [stern, stern look]. You know that, no matter how good a public face I may put on, no matter how professional I try to be in a work environment, that I just can't stay away from the offensive humour. It's a thing.

And if you still want to work on something, I've been practicing. I like the thought of not having to spend too much time thinking about the writing part of anything.

Gimme a shout, scott-o. And feel free to tell me how things are around the ol' stompin' grounds, since no-one else seems inclined to actually send me e-mails that aren't really crude forwards.

and, to add to the debate, I think that Crazy in Love is a totally worthy pursuit. You should TOTALLY keep going with this. But you could also update people on the Scrantonville crew in an "after-dark", HBO meets Adult-Swim kind of way. I know I'm not the only one who fondly remembers John Callahan's "Quads".

If the coherence of my post seems a bit off, you'll have to excuse me: it's the second day in a row I'm off of work, and I'm heavily cold-medicated. Listening to Primus right now ain't helping.
jason.
Junior Keenspotter

Postby SKuehner on Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

J-Fed! Where the hell have you been? And why aren't you on Facebook?

Thanks for the encouragement/admonishment... CiL is over for me though. It was fun but it wasn't enough fun, or perhaps it wasn't the right kind of fun. I think Haley's going to take it over and go in some strange new directions with it.

For me, LWIBH is the thing I need to be doing if I'm doing a thing like this at all. Not only was it the thing that put me on the 'map,' as it were, but CiL never achieved more than a fraction of that popularity. It simply was never going to gain me the notice or the notoriety of LWIBH. Which doesn't sound like a good reason to jump back in, but it's only one factor. Like you man, I can't seem to get away from my affinity for the offensive. It's just what I do best.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SKuehner on Wed May 23, 2007 8:52 am

Welp... After a solid month of polling, an overwhelming 100% of those polled favour a return to LWIBH.

I feel justified in the decision I have made.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

YESSSS!!!

Postby Godmoma on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:59 pm

Yes, please bring back LWIBH.

I kept checking and hoping for the longest time, followed CiL, but while it was ok, it wasn't the same. :)
Godmoma
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Crazy in Love