I'll probably get killed for this but...

The pursuit of criminally insane women is a noble one.

Moderators: MandieK, SKuehner

I'll probably get killed for this but...

Postby FoxKailen on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:39 pm

Just so you know I'm not a big forum person so bear with how formal this probably sounds. I have been a huge fan of LWIBH when it was running as well as the spinoffs since I really loved the off the wall, rated M humor so I kinda expected it when I started reading Crazy in Love. Its not what I expected and I think that it turned me off a little (not enough to stop reading mind you) but it really felt like it was lacking something to get me going...until today. I honestly feel like this is the best CiL comic to date. I think all of the jokes are perfectly executed and flow very well. Panel 2-6 were just so dead on that I couldn't help but register and tell you. Now, I don't want it to come off that I didn't like the preceding comics. That isn't the case. It's a spin off of one of the few comics I actually read all the way through so it was endearing for me to see new stuff, but like I said I always felt like there was something missing. A lot of the potty humor is gone and that's sad but today was real effectual multi-story humor I couldn't help but comment on. In it's own way it passed even the best comics that LWIBH had. Keep up the good work!
FoxKailen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ozarker on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:36 pm

Agreed, this comic is my favorite yet too. The pace is really picking up now that Stephanie has been solidly introduced, and the expressions in the last two panels are priceless XD
Ozarker
Junior Keenspotter

Postby SKuehner on Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:07 am

Thanks very much guys. I felt that one was particularly strong, it even made me laugh when it was finished.

This thing has been a lot of fun so far. There is still a whole lot of LWIBH in this, in my opinion. It may not be filthy but I'm enjoying the challenge of not always going for the cheap, easy gross-out in place of actual comedy.

I may have to loosen my profanity restraints though... A true Stephanie flip-out would never sound right with all PG13 language. Well, we'll see when we get there. Just another challenge, right?
Look What I Brought Home!
Our comic is on Keenspot. That proves it's good.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby crazeyal on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm liking the situations and the characters. The old strip was surprisingly funny and sometimes extraordinarily well written. Especially when you consider the content. Towards the end of the old series, you tried to make the old characters more human, believale and sympathetic.

Those things probably contributed more to the demise of the strip then the events in your personal life.

You started this for fun, and it became a chore. You wanted to branch out beyond bathroom (and worse) humor and I think you have.

Let me simply say that you are ten times the artist and writer that you were before, I enjoy and read the strip daily, and thank you for doing it.

One thing though, I think you may be writing yourself into a corner with Stephanie. Everyone knows she'd boil a rabbit in three seconds, steal candy from a baby and shove it lengthwise into the corpse of Mother Theresa! It's all about WHEN she'll do something permenant, not if.

She's a GREAT bad guy...

But you don't have ANYONE remotely likeable in the strip. You didn't convey "do anything for love" but "needy schmuck who latched on to the first girl who gave him sex".

You just might be waffling on the character's direction because you went SO FAR in the last incarnation of the comic.

It's been hilarious to see Stephanie's reaction to differant medication, and I think you handled the buildup GREAT. But perhaps you ought to introduce someone that the audience actually LIKES, and then have Stephanie be cruel to them. I'm not talking some goody goody person who needs a good boot in the arse, but someone the audience would actually identify with.

It's a big differance between having two mildly unlikeable characters get abused by a nasty one and having a decent person get REAMED by Stephanie. It might be an opportunity to tell WHY Beau is so #$% stupid and clueless.

Just some random thoughts

Keep up the good work.
Ray
crazeyal
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Suspiria on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:01 am

I think the current characters are far more likeable than the ones from LWIBH. I don't see the point in trying to make characters likeable or unlikeable though, when everyone will have different views on them anyway? Not every women likes Brad Pitt. Not every man likes Paris Hilton (well, the sane ones don't anyway) Opinions are always going to be varied on the topic.

The good thing about Stephanie is that she isn't prejudiced - she hates everyone equally :) so I'm sure she'll find plenty of people to torture over time anyway.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
Suspiria
Junior Keenspotter

Postby SKuehner on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:48 am

crazeyal wrote:I'm liking the situations and the characters. The old strip was surprisingly funny and sometimes extraordinarily well written. Especially when you consider the content. Towards the end of the old series, you tried to make the old characters more human, believale and sympathetic.

Those things probably contributed more to the demise of the strip then the events in your personal life.

You started this for fun, and it became a chore. You wanted to branch out beyond bathroom (and worse) humor and I think you have.

Let me simply say that you are ten times the artist and writer that you were before, I enjoy and read the strip daily, and thank you for doing it.

One thing though, I think you may be writing yourself into a corner with Stephanie. Everyone knows she'd boil a rabbit in three seconds, steal candy from a baby and shove it lengthwise into the corpse of Mother Theresa! It's all about WHEN she'll do something permenant, not if.

She's a GREAT bad guy...

But you don't have ANYONE remotely likeable in the strip. You didn't convey "do anything for love" but "needy schmuck who latched on to the first girl who gave him sex".

You just might be waffling on the character's direction because you went SO FAR in the last incarnation of the comic.

It's been hilarious to see Stephanie's reaction to differant medication, and I think you handled the buildup GREAT. But perhaps you ought to introduce someone that the audience actually LIKES, and then have Stephanie be cruel to them. I'm not talking some goody goody person who needs a good boot in the arse, but someone the audience would actually identify with.

It's a big differance between having two mildly unlikeable characters get abused by a nasty one and having a decent person get REAMED by Stephanie. It might be an opportunity to tell WHY Beau is so #$% stupid and clueless.

Just some random thoughts

Keep up the good work.
Ray

Wow, crazeyal is named Ray! All this time, I've thought I was talking with a guy named Al.

In response to your thoughts, some of those have occurred to me before. The Stephanie thing, written into a corner etc.. Actually Amanda suggested to me recently that Stephanie most likely will have to go before we're through. Luckily I'm not averse to completely changing the situations and circumstances surrounding the characters. If we were dead-set against changing the couple dynamic, I agree we'd have a problem or two.

Re: Likeable characters... Like Suspiria said, that's all terribly subjective, isn't it? Beau is written to be likeable, as is Chapman. Perhaps Beau seemed more likeable before when he was surrounded by Scrantonville's vilest.

I've said before that CiL is where LWIBH would have gone if I hadn't met with so much resistance. That was a strange situation before, and it's never good when you start making concessions to people's expectations. You're right, it DID become a chore and that's a big part of why. The two year gap between comics definitely did a lot to erase those expectations and I STILL haven't heard from an angry LWIBH fan who hates the new.

In the end, I need to do a comic. I go crazy when I'm not telling my stories. You wouldn't even believe me if I told you how much time we spent planning and preparing for this comic. This time out though, I won't be bowing to reader pressure... Not that there's been any.
Look What I Brought Home!
Our comic is on Keenspot. That proves it's good.
SKuehner
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

ok

Postby FEARTHEPLATYPUS on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:18 pm

I have a plan its GENIUS.GENIUS DAMN IT.OK FIRST TELL ME WHY PLATYPUS' ARE FEARED and why my beer is gone, oh wait nevermind that last one.

OK LETS MAKE A COMIC OF ME. GENIUS. :smug:

P.S. FEAR ME DAMN YOU.
BOW BEFORE MY PLATYERER-NESS or not but if you resist i will COME AT YOU WITH A METAL POLE and if i miss I'LL KEEP STRICKIN.And if you ask WHAT I'll attack you with my face or just capture your hot sister.

FEAR ME DAMN YOU!!
FEARTHEPLATYPUS
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Crazy in Love