Another Dem bites the dust (and another one gone, and...)

A wingnut with a screw loose.

Moderator: carsonfire

Another Dem bites the dust (and another one gone, and...)

Postby carsonfire on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Biting the dust electorally, I mean.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.co ... ar_suo.php

Nassau Co. Exec. Tom Suozzi, once seen as a rising star in Dem circles in NY, conceded defeat today to a little-known GOP county legislator after results of a nearly month-long recount showed the incumbent trailing by 377 votes.

Suozzi, who lost the Dem GOV nod to Eliot Spitzer in '06, had been expected to cruise to a third term as chief exec. of the suburban Long Island county. But after the initial count, Suozzi trailed Legis. Ed Mangano (R) by 237 votes.

"I had no idea," Suozzi told Politico's Ben Smith last month after the election. "Both my polling and public polling and just the general reception I got from people in the street was, 'Don't worry about it, you're a shoo-in.'"

The recount, which also included more absentee ballots, drew Suozzi no closer to Mangano.

[...]

His defeat -- at a minimum -- puts his political future on hold.

"I hope to be back in politics someday," he told reporters at a presser today announcing his concession, "but I can't imagine it would be anytime soon."

Suozzi's defeat fits neatly into the GOP narrative that included GOV victories in NJ and VA. Andy Spano (D), the co. exec. of Westchester Co., an affluent county just north of NYC, was also defeated on 11/3.

"I'm very disappointed," Suozzi said today. "I'm disappointed in the voters. I'm disappointed in the Democratic Party, but I'm mostly disappointed in myself. I would have liked to have done a better job getting more people out to vote that supported me in this race."

And more bite the dust before they even get going:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard ... attle.html
Cook Political Report House analyst David Wasserman notes a telling indicator that the political environment in 2010 is shaping up to be favorable for Republicans: Several Democratic candidates have decided to drop out of tough races, while Democratic members of Congress who rarely face serious challenges are finding themselves with their toughest re-elections in years.

Over the last week, three Democratic candidates touted by national strategists abruptly withdrew from their races: Solano Beach Councilman Dave Roberts (running against California Rep. Brian Bilbray), state Rep. Todd Book (running against Ohio Rep. Jean Schmidt) and Tennessee Commerce and Insurance Commissioner Paula Flowers (in the seat held by retiring Rep. Zach Wamp).

In a neutral political environment, the seats held by Bilbray, Schmidt, and the open Tennessee seat would be enticing targets for Democrats. Democrats aggressively contested the first two seats in both 2006 and 2008, and experienced unexpected success in Southern open seats over the last two elections.

But in 2010, defense is the name of the game for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which is defending several dozens vulnerable freshmen and second-term members, while also protecting veteran members who could find themselves in newfound trouble. It will be a lot more challenging for a first-time candidate running in a tough district to get financial support from the DCCC when the party is worried about defending its own.

The story is different on the Republican side, where recruiting hasn’t been a problem lately. As I note in my story today, some of the most senior Democratic members of Congress have, for the first time in years, serious challengers.

Bart Gordon (D-Tenn.), who didn’t even face a Republican opponent last year, now looks like he could be running against a top-tier challenger [...]

Remember how cute Dems were, when they were indulging in delusional tales about having defeated Republicans forever and ever, based on just a couple of elections in the midst of a decades-long trend against them?
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Re: Another Dem bites the dust (and another one gone, and...)

Postby carsonfire on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:36 am

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opini ... 25837.html
The Hotline reports that Congressman John Tanner of the 8th district of Tennessee is retiring in 2010. Tanner, a Democrat and a member of the Blue Dog Caucus, was first elected in 1988; he turns 66 in 2010 and in a statement said he considered retiring in 2008, but decided to run for one more term so that he could serve as Chairman of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly..

Jim Geraghty of National Review notes that Tanner was facing competition this year from Republican gospel singer Stephen Fincher, who has raised $300,000 in a short period of time and seemed likely to wage a serious campaign in a district that voted 56%-43% for John McCain in 2008. This west Tennessee district was one of the few where Barack Obama ran behind John Kerry’s 2004 showing; George W. Bush carried the district by only 53%-47% in 2004. It voted 51%-48% for Tennessee’s own Al Gore in 2000.

[...]

The last time the Tennessee 8th was the scene of a nationally significant contest was the March 1969 special election to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Democratic incumbent Bob Everett. In November 1968, just four months before, George Wallace had won 48% of the vote in the district as then constituted, to 28% for Hubert Humphrey and 26% for Richard Nixon. Wallace came in to Tennessee to campaign for American party candidate William Davis and Howard Baker, then a freshman senator, campaigned for Republican Dunavant. Democrat Ed Jones, a former state agriculture commissioner, did not bring in outsiders but relied on the traditional Democratic sentiments of Wallace voters and the Democratic loyalty of black voters. He won with 51% of the vote, to 25% for Davis and 24% for Dunavant. This turned out to be a signal that conservative Southern Democrats could hold on to a lot of Deep South districts despite Wallace’s popularity there or Richard Nixon’s supposed Southern strategy. Jones and Tanner have held the district now for the Democratic party for more than 40 years. Now it seems very much up for grabs. Not good news for House Democrats.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Geez, biting the dust without even having to go through all the rigamarole of an election. ;)

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.co ... ing_an.php
With 3 Dems announcing their retirements in the first weeks of Dec., some party strategists are starting to worry that a wave of retirements could threaten their hold on the House.

"It's time for Democrats to be concerned," said ex-Rep. Martin Frost (D-TX), a former DCCC chair. "You've only had 3 of these retirements now, but this tends to be like the flu, it tends to be contagious. Once your contemporaries start announcing their retirements, you start rethinking your decision."

On Wednesday, Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA) became the latest member to announce he will not run for re-election. Since Thanksgiving, Reps. Dennis Moore (D-KS) and John Tanner (D-TN) have also said they will step aside. And rumors of new impending retirements crop up every day.

With filing deadlines approaching in several states, members will take the next month to talk with their families and assess their future.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Rats.

Sinking ship.

Fleeing.

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/ ... -election/
This Is Huge: Rep. Bart Gordon Will Not Run For Re-Election

There really isn’t anyway to spin as anything but bad for Democrats. Whatever their reasons, the retirement of both John Tanner and Bart Gordon mean that only two years before redistricting the Democrats will have to defend two marginal seats that will likely be carved up anyway.

[...]

Each man may have their reasons for retiring that have nothing to do with the Republicanization of the South or rising tea party sentiment in Tennessee but after this, I don’t think we can really blame national pundits for interpreting this decision as indicative of something bigger.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -the-exits
Dem recruits continue to head for exits

Democrats have lost yet another touted recruit, this time in Kansas.

State Sen. Laura Kelly (D) just announced her withdrawal from the race to face Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.). She becomes the fifth formidable recruit to bow out in recent weeks.

[...]

Kelly joins several recent dropouts, including businessman Jack McDonald, a well-funded challenger to Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) who announced last week that he wouldn't run. The others are Ohio state Rep. Todd Book, who was running against Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio); former Tennessee Commerce and Insurance Commissioner Paula Flowers, who was running for Rep. Zach Wamp's (R-Tenn.) seat; and Solana Beach City Councilman Dave Roberts, who was running against Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-Calif.).

Both McDonald and Kelly were cited in a late October memo from DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen (Md.) that touted the committee's recruiting successes.

On top of that, Democrats have lost four incumbents in vulnerable districts to retirement recently. It has been a distinct shift, taking five seats off the map on offense and adding four on defense.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

This one's a biggie:

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com ... -retiring/
Dorgan to Retire

This is a pretty swift crash for what was supposed to be a new paradigm of liberal politics, and Democrat majorities for generations to come.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby VictorK on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:32 pm

As it was for the permanent Republican majority. Certainly things do not look good for Democrats in 2010, but I remain confident they will retain control of the Congress.
"The gods are not all powerful, they cannot erase the past."

-Agathon, printed in Ludo de Witte's "The Assassination of Lumumba"
VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:51 pm

You're a lone voice in the wilderness!

At Firedoglake, they're no longer talking about if they lose control it's *when*. And there's also not much question of "when" is.

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/0 ... -one-year/
Countdown To Full Congressional Shut Down: One Year

We are one year away from when the 112th Congress will be sworn in, and that is why I’m beginning a countdown to full Congressional shutdown. When Democrats lose their 60-vote super-majority in the Senate, our entire Congress will effectively stop working altogether.

All indications point to this year being a good election for Republicans. They are projected to pick up several seats in the House, and, most importantly, they are projected to pick up several seats in the Senate. If Republicans win seats in both Houses, but not enough to gain a majority in either chamber, our Congress will effectively shut down.

And:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 5ftL7Jm9NQ
Charlie Cook, the most respected and most often-right political prognosticator in the business, says Democrats could lose 20-30 seats in the House and as many as six in the Senate. Open seats will go Republicans; Democrats won’t knock off any incumbent Republicans. Ouch.

To maintain the control you have right now, VK, you need a miracle. You might get it! But Democrats are insane if they think passing this wildly unpopular legislation will lead to magic results.

[oops! Sorry for the double post. My browser crashed and I thought I lost it -- I actually rewrote my post from memory as well as I could. :D]
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

You're a lone voice in the wilderness, VK. You might want to qualify that, anyway. Democrats might maintain even hold on to a majority, but it will take a miracle to hold on to the level of control you have now.

Even Firedoglake no longer says "if" but "when", and it's an unambiguous when:

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/0 ... -one-year/

Countdown To Full Congressional Shut Down: One Year

We are one year away from when the 112th Congress will be sworn in, and that is why I’m beginning a countdown to full Congressional shutdown. When Democrats lose their 60-vote super-majority in the Senate, our entire Congress will effectively stop working altogether.

All indications point to this year being a good election for Republicans. They are projected to pick up several seats in the House, and, most importantly, they are projected to pick up several seats in the Senate. If Republicans win seats in both Houses, but not enough to gain a majority in either chamber, our Congress will effectively shut down.

And...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 5ftL7Jm9NQ
Charlie Cook, the most respected and most often-right political prognosticator in the business, says Democrats could lose 20-30 seats in the House and as many as six in the Senate. Open seats will go Republicans; Democrats won’t knock off any incumbent Republicans. Ouch.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby VictorK on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:44 pm

carsonfire wrote:You're a lone voice in the wilderness, VK. You might want to qualify that, anyway. Democrats might maintain even hold on to a majority, but it will take a miracle to hold on to the level of control you have now.

....since when has 'retained control' meant 'maintaining every seat we have right now and a super majority'? I'm not disagreeing with Cook or FDL at all. Democrats are all but certain to lose seats in both houses, the question is only how many, all I'm saying is that I don't believe at this point in time that Democrats will lose their majorities. FDL's analysis is correct, however, with the current level of Republican obstructionism a Democratic supermajority is needed to get anything done at all, which means paralysis.

VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Oops! Everybody brace yourself for a bombshell. Braced? Here we go, then...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714651/ns ... itol_hill/
Sen. Dodd to announce retirement
News comes shortly after Sen. Dorgan says he will not seek re-election

This one's pretty good news for everybody. Dodd's become practically the poster child of big-time Democrat party corruption, as well as a glaring, living reminder of Pelosi's "drain the swamp" hypocrisy.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 am

Help is on the way!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31202.html
North Dakota Democrats are actively pursuing liberal MSNBC talk show host Ed Schultz as a candidate to replace Sen. Byron Dorgan, who announced Tuesday he would not seek re-election.

State House Minority Leader Merle Boucher told POLITICO he made an official overture to Schultz late Tuesday night about launching a campaign and said he believes the TV commentator is "intrigued by the idea."

"We have to find someone that has a high profile and a national fundraising base and I can't think of anyone better than Ed Schultz in that regard," said Boucher. "He certainly didn't say no to me by any means," he added.

Schultz would be a perfect elected Democrat, railing about how his political Enemies want people to DIE, and kind of LIKE it when that woman with cancer can't get treated.

By the way, death watch wishlist: not very likely, but a Charlie Rangel resignation would be welcome. Rangel (contrasted with hatepots like Ed Schultz) seems like a relatively nice guy, but has proven to be neck-deep in corruption. He should go for the good of the Democrat party and the nation in general.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 am

A review of the carnage so far:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31186.html
Top Democrats head for the exits

Four top Democrats — including veteran Sens. Chris Dodd and Byron Dorgan — all prepared to pull the plug on their campaigns in a 24-hour period that began Tuesday, and in the process, offered an unnerving glimpse at the perilous election year ahead.

With Dorgan’s stunning retirement announcement Tuesday evening, Democrats are now facing their bleakest election outlook in years — and the very real possibility the party will lose its 60-40 Senate supermajority after the November elections. On the House side, the prospect of a 20 to 30 seat loss is already looking increasingly likely.

“It’s not good news for Democrats,” said Roy Temple, a Democratic strategist. “The reality is this is going to be a challenging year, and this is an additional challenge you would prefer not to have. Because of the success of the last two cycles, there are a lot of seats to defend. This is just an additional complication.”

Dorgan’s announcement was accompanied Tuesday by Michigan Democratic Lt. Gov. John Cherry’s decision to end his floundering bid for governor, and by the revelation that both Dodd and Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter would announce Wednesday that they would not seek reelection.

[...]

“These guys quit sometimes,” said Jim Jordan, a Democratic strategist.

The timing — the first week of the new year — and the locales of the retirements makes them hard to dismiss as isolated incidents, however.

In Colorado, the epicenter of the recent Democratic resurgence in the interior west, it is telling that Ritter, a 53-year-old former Denver prosecutor who cruised to victory in 2006, would unexpectedly pull down the curtain on a promising career and that Bennet, the senator he appointed to a vacant Senate seat, would be in jeopardy of losing it.

In Michigan, a state battered by job losses but still a reliable Democratic bulwark in state and federal races in recent years, the heir apparent to two-term Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm is similarly quitting before even starting, unable to raise money or get out from under the shadow of what has become a deeply unpopular administration.

And back in Washington, Democrats were all but blindsided by Dorgan’s decision to retire rather than seek a fourth term in a seat that only he might have been able to hold. Neither the Senate majority leader nor the White House even had a statement prepared.

Compounding the problem for Democrats — and spreading the pain to all three Democratic campaign committees Tuesday — the one Democrat who may be able to hold Dorgan’s seat is Rep. Earl Pomeroy. But if he vacates North Dakota’s at-large seat, that would create another problem: Republicans would be positioned for another House pickup.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 am

And here's why Dodd's quitting:

http://www.dailyructions.com/dodds-end/
Most intractable for the five term senator: he’d lost the trust of his state’s residents and that wasn’t changing. Grumblings became rumblings among veteran Democratic activists at home. Dodd started feeling them as he spent more time in the state. Nothing rude, but certainly chilly, something he’d never felt before. Deference was taking a holiday.

Fundraising also started posing a problem. Dodd’s fourth quarter report, due this month, may not by as robust as an incumbent facing looking into the abyss requires.

The healthcare bounce was showing no signs of making an appearance. The imminent passage of the behemoth bill is hardening, not easing, the public’s hostility to incumbents.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

This one violates the spirit of the thread, because the Republican in this particular race would have to pull off a miracle to win -- but as this commentator points out, the closeness of this race, in what should be the safest of safe Dem seats, portends the Dem carnage to come:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs ... bin/213136

Jennifer Duffy at the Cook Political Report says that something is happening in Massachusetts:

At this point, we suspect that the race has indeed closed somewhat and that the result will probably be closer than it ought to be, but we continue to believe that [Republican Scott] Brown has a very uphill struggle in his quest to pull off a Massachusetts Miracle. At the same time, we have a well-earned appreciation for how unpredictable special elections can be even in states or congressional districts that sit solidly in one party’s camp or the other. For that reason, and an abundance of caution, we are moving it from the Solid Democratic column to the Lean Democratic column.

She notes that there are two more debates “which always present candidates with an opportunity to put in make-or-break performances.” One has to remember: this is Massachusetts. A year after Obama’s election and in the race to replace Teddy Kennedy, Democrats and Republicans are in a competitive match-up. Remarkable. What’s more: Democratic candidate Martha Coakley isn’t getting a free ride with the local media, which seems put off by the sense that she is dodging the press and dragging the independent candidate to debates for protection.

So if the Massachusetts senate race isn’t “solid” Democratic what does this portend for Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Nevada and other less-Blue races in 2010? You understand now why so many Democrats are hanging it up “voluntarily.”
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 am

VictorK wrote:As it was for the permanent Republican majority. Certainly things do not look good for Democrats in 2010, but I remain confident they will retain control of the Congress.

http://blogs.investors.com/capitalhill/ ... -the-house
Cook: Dems Could Lose The House

Veteran political analyst Charlie Cook says retirements are creating a “vicious circle” for Democratic politicians. For the first time, he sees a significant risk that Democrats could lose the House this year if trends continue. (Somebody alert RNC Chairman Michael Steele).

From Cook:

How many other wavering House -- or Senate -- Democrats will look at the past five weeks and decide that spending the rest of this year as a lame duck is more attractive than spending a horrific year fundraising, scarfing down fast food, and shaking hands -- all the while facing the very real possibility of losing in the end? When their party starts singing endless choruses of “This is going to be a lousy year,” lawmakers can easily find themselves humming along.

Come November, Senate Democrats’ 60-vote supermajority is toast. It is difficult, if not impossible, to see how Democrats could lose the Senate this year. But they have a 50-50 chance of ending up with fewer than 55 seats in the next Congress.

As for the House, we at The Cook Political Report are still forecasting that Democrats will lose only 20 to 30 seats. Another half-dozen or more retirements in tough districts, however, perhaps combined with another party switch or two, would reduce Democrats’ chances of holding the House to only an even-money bet. We rate 217 seats either “Solid Democratic” or “Likely Democratic,” meaning that the GOP would have to win every single race now thought to be competitive to reach 218, the barest possible majority. But if Democrats suffer much more erosion in their “Solid” and “Likely” columns, control of the House will suddenly be up for grabs.

The Jan. 19 special election for the Massachusetts Senate seat could be key. A GOP upset — or even a close loss by Scott Brown — could likely trigger a new wave of Democratic retirements. Likewise, a smashing victory by Martha Coakley might slow the bleeding.

Obama himself put it best: Democrats are on a precipice. And it's a long way down.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby VictorK on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 am

So Cook and I are basically on the same page, as things stand now it's unlikely that Democrats will lose control of the Congress but if things get worse they might. No revelations there. There are still more Democratic incumbents running in the Senate (5 Democratic retirements to 6 Republican) and in the House (10 Democratic retirements to 14 Republican) so the Democrats certainly have some cushion.

Either way, it's clear that this is really Obama's last chance to get anything done in his first term. Running up to and after the midterms Congress will be essentially shut down. It will be interesting to see if a Blue Dog caucus which might ally with the emboldened Republicans survives to tip the balance of power in their favor, or if those conservative Democrats recruited by Rahm in 2006 and 2008 on the back of Democratic wave elections are wiped out by their Republican opponents. If that's the case Democrats will still nominally be in control in the House, and we'll get deadlock. The constitutional requirements for passing legislation has been lifted to 60 votes in the Senate by Democratic concession, and lacking even a pretense at 60 votes as exists now it's difficult to see how anything other than routine legislation will be passed in the coming years.

It's a shame. The country might need a little more than what's routine. Everyone accept the Republicans, whose agenda has been and continues to be the status quo, better kiss their agenda goodbye.

VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Oh, now I get it! The status quo you're objecting to must be *jobs*. Obama has succeeded in saving or creating -- oops, I mean, destroying over 8 million jobs. This grinding down of the economy is compatible with the goals of the Global Warming movement: the less production, the less consumption, the better for the environment. In that regard, Obama has been a whopping success!

http://michaelscomments.wordpress.com/2 ... ment-news/
Attachments
jobs-lost-december-09.gif
jobs-lost-december-09.gif (4.94 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:33 pm

BTW, as the polls tighten in MA (incredibly!) Coakley-in-hiding must be getting really nervous. Reports are that she's push polling that Brown is a member of unspecified "hate groups".

http://michaelscomments.wordpress.com/2 ... ment-news/
-At this point a plurality of those planning to turn out oppose the health care bill. The massive enthusiasm gap we saw in Virginia is playing itself out in Massachusetts as well. Republican voters are fired up and they're going to turn out. Martha Coakley needs to have a coherent message up on the air over the last ten days that her election is critical to health care passing and Ted Kennedy's legacy- right now Democrats in the state are not feeling a sense of urgency.

-Scott Brown's favorables are up around 60%, a product of his having had the airwaves to himself for the last week. By comparison Bob McDonnell's were at 55% right before his election and Chris Christie's were only at 43%. Coakley's campaign or outside groups need to tie Brown's image to national Republicans and knock him down a notch over the final week of the campaign.

This has become a losable race for Democrats

Still too much to hope for, but it would be marvellous to see health care deform defeated via Ted Kennedy's seat. Meaning no disrespect for Kennedy -- despite his failings in life, he will be remembered fonder without having this travesty tied to his memory.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby carsonfire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Oh, brother! Go up and look at that graph I just posted, again. Obama says the economy is headed "in the right direction."

Political considerations taken into account (Global Warming, etc), that may not be a mischaracterization on his part. The strange psychotic nature of modern Democrat politics: they want to ratchet down production, activity, population, wealth, the economy, etc, but don't want to be *blamed* for causing it all. Hence we get all the bad stuff from their disastrous policies with assurances that everything is in fact hunky dory, and if it isn't it's Bush's fault.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby VictorK on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:30 pm

carsonfire wrote:Obama has succeeded in saving or creating -- oops, I mean, destroying over 8 million jobs

Only in your universe where Obama caused the financial crisis in 2007.

VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Postby Casual Notice on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm

VictorK wrote:
carsonfire wrote:Obama has succeeded in saving or creating -- oops, I mean, destroying over 8 million jobs

Only in your universe where Obama caused the financial crisis in 2008.

Fixed.
In my universe, Obama exacerbated the crisis by throwing nearly a trillion dollars down a money pit, preserving a pair of near-monopolies that should have been divested, calling for a tax-grab that even many environmental activists consider stupid (although for different reasons than pro-business detractors), and pushing through the single farthest reaching bill since the New Deal despite its wild unpopularity and growing opposition.
The savior of billions (Norman Borlaug) dying barely rated a mention in the news this year. Farrah Fawcett wore a bikini well back in the 70s and she got international coverage. Good job, society.
--Lisa Skye Ioannidis
Casual Notice
Keenspot Despot

Postby VictorK on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Casual Notice wrote:Fixed.

Not fixed. The crisis started in 2007. That's when the subprime lenders started going under and we realized we were in trouble.

Obama exacerbated the crisis by throwing nearly a trillion dollars down a money pit,

The crisis would have been far worse without the aid to states, expansion of benefits, and job creation in the stimulus.

preserving a pair of near-monopolies that should have been divested,

Fannie and Freddie already did their damage, I can't say that he made the crisis worse by failing to destroy them. Even lacking the follow-up of the bailouts which is tight re-regulation, that's a problem down the road, it doesn't make the current crisis worse.

calling for a tax-grab that even many environmental activists consider stupid (although for different reasons than pro-business detractors), and pushing through the single farthest reaching bill since the New Deal despite its wild unpopularity and growing opposition.

Two things that haven't even happened yet. Only health care is likely to happen, cap and trade is DOA as is any financial regulations. Get on the horn to your conservatives if you want to actually see anything done. We're waiting and willing, we just don't have a partner.

VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:08 pm

ObamaCare, by your admission, is "likely" to be done. That's not a little thing. People know that's about the biggest trap a reckless government could have ready to spring around our necks. Private citizens are scared enough, but it's a particular nightmare-in-waiting for the small businesses. You and other Democrats seem incredibly oblivious -- you admit the legislation is awful, you know it's a disaster, you know it's a give-away to all the wrong people, and you STILL drive forward.

Even the slim hope of a Brown win in MA looks unlikely to stop your party's insane drive to cram disastrous legislation that nobody even wants down our throats, apparently for no better reason now than pure, sheer malicious spite, because now your party is threatening to risk a constitutional crisis over the election.

Paul Kirk was appointed temporarily until a new senator is properly elected; now that there's even a chance it might go to an icky Republican, Democrats are threatening to maliciously delay the process and keep Kirk in place DESPITE THE ELECTION just so they can get disastrous, unwanted, hideous ObamaCare passed.

http://www.redmassgroup.com/diary/6420/ ... wn-elected
Today Paul Kirk told the State House News service that he would continue to serve in the United States Senate until the health care vote is taken if Scott Brown wins the election.

"Absolutely," Kirk said, when asked if he'd vote for the bill, even if Brown captures the seat. "It would be my responsibility as United States Senator, representing the people and understanding Senator Kennedy's agenda and the rest of it ... I think you're asking me a hypothetical question but I'd be pleased to vote for the bill."

This shouldn't be surprising: Democrats putting pure emotion over the will of the people, over democracy, over common sense. If even the people of MA hate ObamaCare enough to replace Ted Kennedy with a Republican whose primary attribute is that he will vote against ObamaCare, what does that f*cking tell you?

I wish you could explain this to us, VK, because you do seem to be one of those people who acknowledge this is awful legislation, and yet holds the incredible, dual, absolutely psychotic position that it must be passed anyway. Why? You simply can't be doing it for the good of the party. The outlook for your party is growing ever more grim BECAUSE of the drive to pass this. These letters never had more meaning than they have now:

WTF?
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby VictorK on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 pm

carsonfire wrote:Democrats are threatening to maliciously delay the process and keep Kirk in place DESPITE THE ELECTION just so they can get disastrous, unwanted, hideous ObamaCare passed.

No, they're not. It's just like what would happen if any incumbent Senator was defeated in an election. They remain in office until their successor is sworn in. Usually that Senator has months in such a period. All that Kirk is saying is that if the health care vote falls in such a period he would vote for health care. No crisis, no anti-democracy. That's just how it is and how we've always done it.

I wish you could explain this to us, VK, because you do seem to be one of those people who acknowledge this is awful legislation, and yet holds the incredible, dual, absolutely psychotic position that it must be passed anyway.

The legislation does include meaningful and needed changes to the health care system...It's just not the reform I'd like to see. It's not good politically for Democrats, and it is unnecessarily deferential to insurance companies and hampers the government's ability to control health care prices and expand access. It's a conservative's idea of health care reform, not a liberal's. I don't think it's disastrous for industry or anything like that, but I don't think the individual mandate will be popular and without a public option it is somewhat odious. I don't like it, but if it's the cost of getting needed reforms...Well, I'm still somewhat on the fence. Part of the urgency is the recognition that this is our one shot at this. I don't buy into the 'this is just the start' idea, because Congress is going to be deadlocked for the rest of Obama's first term at the very least. Any substantive legislation grinds to a halt.

VictorK
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Winger