Winger site via Kipper 2

A wingnut with a screw loose.

Moderator: carsonfire

Winger site via Kipper 2

Postby carsonfire on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:31 pm

My sites, much like my life, have fallen on hard times lately, but I've just renovated the Winger site and comic archives with Kipper 2 (my earlier renovation of WInger with the first Kipper actually managed to reveal some gaping flaws in the system, happily overcome).

Although I'm posting some feeble new drawings, my purpose at the moment is less to resuscitate the series and more to showcase Kipper 2 as a potential replacement or supplement content management system.

The site is structured like a regular Keenspot site--comic files in the comics/ directory, and the pages in d/. The template is also in d/, but unlike Keenspot's Autokeen, only the one template is necessary for the comics, homepage, and everything else.

http://www.winger -- SEE BELOW -- comics.com/

Although the pages and navigation are mostly hard-coded, Kipper 2 employs a dynamic navigation trick which hide future posts in the archive, and displays the current comic on the homepage. Unlike Autokeen, the updates occur right at the hour, sharp, instead of entering a lengthy multi-site queue.

UPDATE: The archive has been moved to new digs. Scroll down.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Re: Winger site via Kipper 2

Postby Casual Notice on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 am

Dunno about anyone else, cars, but, for me, the new winger site comes out as a single column, left justified (IE 7, fully updated).
The savior of billions (Norman Borlaug) dying barely rated a mention in the news this year. Farrah Fawcett wore a bikini well back in the 70s and she got international coverage. Good job, society.
--Lisa Skye Ioannidis
Casual Notice
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Casual Notice wrote:Dunno about anyone else, cars, but, for me, the new winger site comes out as a single column, left justified (IE 7, fully updated).

Ugh. That's the *exact* behavior it would display in IE6, because IE6 doesn't support styles properly. I *assumed* (stupid me) that Microsoft would have caught up with CSS standards by IE7. Apparently not.

I was willing to throw IE6 under the bus, but I guess I forgot that Microsoft is still Microsoft. Even though I'm getting sick of IE workarounds, I guess I don't have any choice. Grrr...
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Obsidian_Stray on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Happy December, Keen! :D
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Yours always,
Dominic Deegan Forum ~

[edited by cars]
<3
Obsidian_Stray
Keenspot Despot

Postby carsonfire on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm

The Winger archive is available again, on the new site:

http://elflife.net/elflife/comics/winger/

The archive system doesn't have a name, but it's basically a distillation of everything I learned from Kipper 1 & 2. It's too small to be Kipper 3, though. It's more like, er, MiniKipper. :D
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Return to Winger