Dan's Frequent Apologies in regards to updates

A place to discuss deshive.com, the central hub for Dan Shive's (author of El Goonish Shive) projects. It has blogs, too! ...but no pool table :(

Moderator: DarkShive

Dan's Frequent Apologies in regards to updates

Postby BenOni on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 am

Perhaps it's just me, and anyone feel free to reply, but the bowing and scraping apologies are unnecessary! Last I checked, all the loyal bunnies (myself included) have been regularly tuning in to EGS because your work is terribly brilliant and entertaining, regardless of your update frequency.

Mind you, this isn't my way of saying "Hey, update once a month, it's cool man." It's a way of saying that we're fortunate that you devote so much of your personal time to providing us with EGS, and that we are thankful for the updates as they come. Sure, it sucks at times when we do not have a new page to read, but it would suck worse if we did not have the comic at all. And anyone out there who goes around thinking that you're obligated to provide tri-weekly updates to the story, tri-weekly filler comics, and regular updates to the rest of the whatnot is a toolshed.

Say it with me now: T-O-O-L-S-H-E-D

Anyway, the whole point of this is to say; Dan Shive, thank you for EGS, in all its forms. We appreciate the work you put into it, and acknowledge your superiority.

Oh, and to any of you who have thoughts about calling me a kiss @$$, feel free to group yourselves in with the aforementioned detractors.
All look and likeness caught from earth,
All accident of kin and birth,
Had pass'd away. There was no trace
Of aught on that illumined face,
Upraised beneath the rifted stone,
But of one spirit all her own;--
She, she herself, and only she,
Shone through her body visibly.

Phantom, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1804)
BenOni
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Pennergy on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:37 am

Agreed. I'm definitely willing to wait! Besides, if this much effort is going into the next strip, I KNOW it will be worth it! :^D
Pennergy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:54 am

BenOni wrote:Perhaps it's just me, and anyone feel free to reply, but the bowing and scraping apologies are unnecessary!

I don't read Dan's apologies as bowing and scraping, but simply as informing the readers that they shouldn't be expecting a comic on a particular day. Maybe this is a cultural differences kind of thing, but I know if I was passing on a message like that I would have to throw a 'sorry!' in there somewhere (and probably more than one), but it wouldn't even occur to me that it would be interpreted as anything other than mere politeness...
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Pennergy on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:17 pm

Free Radical wrote:
BenOni wrote:Perhaps it's just me, and anyone feel free to reply, but the bowing and scraping apologies are unnecessary!

I don't read Dan's apologies as bowing and scraping, but simply as informing the readers that they shouldn't be expecting a comic on a particular day. Maybe this is a cultural differences kind of thing, but I know if I was passing on a message like that I would have to throw a 'sorry!' in there somewhere (and probably more than one), but it wouldn't even occur to me that it would be interpreted as anything other than mere politeness...
I didn't take it as literal bowing and scraping either, but I thought here the description was used as a humerous exaggeration?
Pennergy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Free Radical on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Pennergy wrote:I didn't take it as literal bowing and scraping either, but I thought here the description was used as a humerous exaggeration?

I'm not sure, but this seems to be a regular theme in a lot of the support threads that Dan gets, that to be honest seems to me slightly patronising. It does seem to bother some people that Dan apologises when he's letting us know a comic will be late, I'm just not sure why...
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Diablo on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:18 pm

Love the newest page!!
Read el goonish shive a few years back and fell in love with it!
Just one question, is the other Ellen from that uiverse where Evil Ted comes from, and was that a song didcated to him and also to Nanase as well?

Well just have ot wait till the next chapters come out.
Till then.
Keep up the great work.
Diablo
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Dan's Frequent Apologies in regards to updates

Postby Blue_Cherry on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:13 pm

BenOni wrote:Sure, it sucks at times when we do not have a new page to read, but it would suck worse if we did not have the comic at all. And anyone out there who goes around thinking that you're obligated to provide tri-weekly updates to the story, tri-weekly filler comics, and regular updates to the rest of the whatnot is a toolshed.

Agreed. Plus, the wait was worthy.
Blue_Cherry
Keenspot Despot

Postby BenOni on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:06 am

Pennergy wrote:I didn't take it as literal bowing and scraping either, but I thought here the description was used as a humerous exaggeration?

Yes, it was intended as an exaggeration to hedge humor.
And the long awaited expanded comic was marvelous, flawless victory indeed.

I wonder, were the song lyrics taken from a preexisting song, or are they an EGS original?
All look and likeness caught from earth,
All accident of kin and birth,
Had pass'd away. There was no trace
Of aught on that illumined face,
Upraised beneath the rifted stone,
But of one spirit all her own;--
She, she herself, and only she,
Shone through her body visibly.

Phantom, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1804)
BenOni
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ravenb on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:41 am

Check out the main reaction thread on the EGS board, BenOni -- that song is all Dan. :)

Personally, I tend to agree with Free Radical; the apologies are just Dan being his usual courteous self. Goodness knows that if we bunnies weren't told that there would be no update on a given day, we'd probably stay up until 3 AM Eastern hitting the Refresh button every five minutes... :D
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ambi on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Dan knows and has met Jeffrey Darlington, and Jeff's buffer for his "General Protection Fault" is usually between several weeks and several months long - next to that performance, nearly everyone will look small...
Ce mobol nyumja cho julpmoais, quo cgyura sum hyumja u quui
umja mechot rucgec helobol, obom serja mebonvol luyum

ImageImageImageImageImage
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
And what's with all the carrots
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies, bunnies, it must be bunnies
Or maybe midgets
Ambi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby HamHam on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Personally, webcomics that are done only part-time or as a hobby can miss updates as much as they want because of that fact. They're done for fun more than anything else and should be viewed in that light.

Now, when certain other artists who do this essentially full time *cough*Fred*cough* go and miss updates on a frequant basis, I am not so forgiving.
Let us therefore begin by putting aside all the facts, for they have no bearing on the question.
------Jean-Jacques Rousseau
HamHam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

As for me...

Postby sethaburton on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 pm

I get mildly annoyed when Dan takes extra pains to go beyond a simple sorry, because he doesn't owe me anything.

If he feels like putting the time in to give me a comic, that's 100% awesome. And he doesn't owe me an apology. If he feels bad because he's late, he needs to apologize to the man in the mirror, cuz that's who he's letting down the most.

My own 2 cents.
Middle name's Andrew.
sethaburton
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:07 pm

Dan has said that he is focused on the Archive. So to make the story flow better he will take time to fix an issue.

But even if people don't want him to say that he is going to be late. Know that many don't info their reads of that fact (an issue if they waitup).
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Re: As for me...

Postby Free Radical on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:28 am

sethaburton wrote:And he doesn't owe me an apology.

But if he happens to offer one, what good does it do to get annoyed about it?
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Re: As for me...

Postby Pope William T Wodium on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:32 am

Free Radical wrote:
sethaburton wrote:And he doesn't owe me an apology.

But if he happens to offer one, what good does it do to get annoyed about it?

I don't think what you're seeing is annoyance, but rather an attempt at reassurance. The people that are bothered by the apologies suspect that Dan would feel better if he weren't apologizing, and the thought of Dan feeling worse than he has to is what moves them to speak out.
Pope William T Wodium, Lord of Odium, Poo-Bah of Podium, Sultan of Sodium, Prince of Rhodium, and the Eldest of that Name
-><-
As a Pope, I reserve the right to invoke infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
Pope William T Wodium
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 pm

I apologize for a couple of reasons. For one, I want people to know what's going on; too many comic authors disappear without explanation. Another is that I say I'm going to have comics at a certain time, then don't. I willingly give people expectations; if I don't live up to them, that's cause to apologize.

Now, if I officially said my schedule is "I'll post whenever I feel like", I wouldn't apologize, but if I say "I'm going to update at 11 CST every Monday Wednesday and Friday", and then I don't, I at the very least owe some level of explanation to everyone I said that to (ie everyone who reads EGS ^^; )
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby DoubleFelix on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:16 pm

For one, I want people to know what's going on; too many comic authors disappear without explanation.

That's no reason to apologize, just explain.
Although your apology fillers are usually pretty funny. Or at the very least interesting.

I'm also content with knowing a little about what the next storyline is.

PS. Too much of a bump?
DoubleFelix
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jbenant on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Personally, I don't see an issue. If Dan can't make an update he informs us of it and puts in a sorry because he didn't meet the deadline. It's simple politeness and I really wish more webcomic artists would do the same.
ImageImage

Good is nice and all, but evil has better dental.
Jbenant
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re:

Postby bunnyThor on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:35 pm

DoubleFelix wrote:PS. Too much of a bump?

There's never too much of a bump.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to DEShive