MAR 30 (31?) Blog entry - I suggest Christine.

A place to discuss deshive.com, the central hub for Dan Shive's (author of El Goonish Shive) projects. It has blogs, too! ...but no pool table :(

Moderator: DarkShive

Postby xyzzy_n on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:10 pm

kinkoblast wrote:And don't corrupt the concept of a vally into some sexual euphamism!
Given that John Cleland used geographical metaphors of that sort in 1749, I think your cause is a lost one. Resistance is futile.
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby BenOni on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:26 pm

:D Like it or not the loss of a 'G' rating was inevitable :oops:

Goodnight Evereybody! :lol:
All look and likeness caught from earth,
All accident of kin and birth,
Had pass'd away. There was no trace
Of aught on that illumined face,
Upraised beneath the rifted stone,
But of one spirit all her own;--
She, she herself, and only she,
Shone through her body visibly.

Phantom, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1804)
BenOni
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Random_Sage on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:45 pm

So many innuendos! Altough I guess it was only a matter of time with those images.
ImageImage

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line"- Oscar Levant
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on."-Winston Churchill
ProfessorTomoe wrote:It's the Internet, for crying out loud. Nothing on it can ever truly look respectable.
Random_Sage
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby NumberFourtyThree on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:54 pm

RandomBunny wrote:
GetsLonely wrote:That is the only pun that has ever made me groan. Good one! :lol:
Obviously you don't read Dominic Deegan.

I remember once in a comic thread someone mentioned they were trying to learn to make puns better, as english wasn't thier first language, and Dan posted a link to Dominic.
43's current site picks:
The Onion: America's finest news source (actually, it's hillarious satire pretending to be a newspaper. Many things on that site have made me laugh over the years.)
One Manga: contains many manga series free to read online. Good interface and extensive database.
Not Always Right: Hilarious anecdotes of customers at various businesses doing incredibly stupid things. Made me laugh many times reading through the archives.
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: Hilarious and often outrageous single panel comic. I often post strips from this in the image thread.
Venbrux.com: Contains several games made by some guy. Most (though not quite all) of these are pretty entertaining and worth playing.

I am allowed to be a hypocrite. You are not.
If there's one thing I know, it's everything.
Pants: Don't leave home without them.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
NumberFourtyThree
Keenspot Deity

Postby EverydayStudent on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:02 pm

Am I the only one who thinks she looks a little too young to be so scantily clad?
... it is just me? Oh, okay.

Kayla is a nice name. (Names beginning with K tend to sound nice to me :))

... although I'm not sure she looks like a Kayla... maybe Ch or Sh would suit her better? Chelle? Chance?

Hm. Chance Valeska, Secret Agent.
(Or Valeska Chance, but a monosyllabic first name is handier for yelling in fight scenes.)
I think it has a nice ring to it, but I don't know if it's right for her - but then I'm useless with deciding on names...
EverydayStudent
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:10 pm

The first names to come to my mind are Jensa and Blaze, both because of similar-looking girls in high school... but she looks more like an L... and with the names Eve and Lilly having been mentioned...

Lilith?

She looks like a video game hero, skimpy outfits and all, so you might try imagining names for her game, that might suggest a name for her.

I definitely don't want to adversely affect EGS, but I would love to see a comic in this style. I suspect it being quick to draw is related to it being evocative and beautiful. Perhaps the occasional weekend strip, as a subtype of filler?
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby xyzzy_n on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:14 pm

EverydayStudent wrote:Am I the only one who thinks she looks a little too young to be so scantily clad?
Well, I
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby DeaExMachina on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

I think one of the unwritten rules of literature is that any person named "Eve" must be a major player in the story. Perhaps if we knew more about her. Maybe we should do a 1000 word challenge based on what we see in the art. Name her, tell us what she is like, what kind of world she live in, what is she doing, that sort of thing. Extra credit if we include the other two in the picture.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:23 pm

kinkoblast wrote:And don't corrupt the concept of a vally into some sexual euphamism! I like vallys! They are nice. And I mean the geography type, not the bunny-with-head-trauma type.

Wait, theres a what now.

:wink:
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby unlucky_days on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:15 pm

VOR wrote:Hmmm...nameity name name...she looks like a Loren or a Lurie or a Lydia, but then I've got "L" on the brain, for some reason

:o you, out of my brain... NOW! I was thinking Loralie, Liaden, Lydia or Lynn

but she looks Native American to me, so maybe Kimi (meaning secret in Algonquin) cause this girl gives off that vibe I think, and it's a fun(ish) name that goes well with the bottom pic of her :oops:
Just what would we be missing from the land of poorly scripted melodramas? Recycled plot lines, tiresome self-realizations. You throw in the occasional downward spiral of a dear friend, and maybe baby here and a death there and all you really got is a recipe for some soul-sucking, mind-numbing, ennui on wheels. And I for one could skip it.
unlucky_days
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby prinnyofantioch on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:45 am

I got no names to suggest today.

All I have to say is...

hawt sauce!
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
-Bjarne Stroustrup

If you guys are bunnies, I'm a hare! BOOYA!
I wish I could change my screenname. Well, I could get a new account, but... meh.
prinnyofantioch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Knight of the new moon on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:49 pm

I don't know who she is, but she needs more cow-bell.

And, perhaps her name can be Gina.

Official Rhoda fanboy.

Even though I know, I don't know. - Spike "Cowboy Bebop"

SCREW MORALITY! - Susan's curiosity

They say good men are hard to find. The same is true of women, men are just more willing to settle. -Me
Knight of the new moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:04 pm

Knight of the new moon wrote:I don't know who she is, but she needs more cow-bell.

What're you, psychic? :o
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby ravenb on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 am

DarkShive wrote:
Knight of the new moon wrote:I don't know who she is, but she needs more cow-bell.

What're you, psychic? :o

<looks back and forth at Knight and Dan> :okthen:

Okay, is this some sort of in-joke that you'd like to explain to the rest of us? :)
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cyril on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:15 am

Ooo... I think I get it... >_> <_< I think so anyway,.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DeaExMachina on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Saying something needs more cow bell generally means it need more flashiness to it, but I can't help but think that The Shive was thinging about cowgirl TF'ings. Seeing as we know next to nothing about her, it's hard to tell.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Blue_Cherry on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:16 pm

Cyril wrote:I suggest Veronica. She looks like she would be named that... or something russian (don't ask) Maybe Viktoria?

I agree... She looks like a Russian... in fact, she reminded me of Anastasia...
Blue_Cherry
Keenspot Despot

Postby ravenb on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:46 pm

DeaExMachina wrote:Saying something needs more cow bell generally means it need more flashiness to it, but I can't help but think that The Shive was thinging about cowgirl TF'ings. Seeing as we know next to nothing about her, it's hard to tell.

Ahh, okay. That makes a bit more sense.

<ahem> Personally, I'd say she's flashing enough as it is... :shifty:

Blue_Cherry wrote:
Cyril wrote:I suggest Veronica. She looks like she would be named that... or something russian (don't ask) Maybe Viktoria?

I agree... She looks like a Russian... in fact, she reminded me of Anastasia...

Ooh, hey, you're right!
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby Blue_Cherry on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:04 pm

^_^

Thanks, at least I know I don't need to change my prescription.
Blue_Cherry
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chaos Sepher on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:49 am

Honest to God, when I heard that 'she needs more cow bell' line, I imidiatly thought of this comic

Anyways, I also think we need to know a bit more about the character herself before we get too into it.
Chaos will reign supreme and all will perish under its power.
Chaos Sepher
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Malachy19 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:00 am

Actually, the cowbell reference. I assumed it was an allusion to the famous SNL skit with christoper walken.

http://www.starterupsteve.com/video/more_cowbell.html
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby sven8705 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm

You should name her Natasha, and then name the goblin Boris.

No, but seriously, Natasha. That's her name, nothing you say will convince me otherwise.
I introduced myself on page 42 of the newbie intro thread. Truly this means I am the answer.
sven8705
Keenspot Deity

Postby Blue_Cherry on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 am

Chaos Sepher wrote:Honest to God, when I heard that 'she needs more cow bell' line, I imidiatly thought of this comic

Anyways, I also think we need to know a bit more about the character herself before we get too into it.

You are, indeed, totally right, but it's also fun to predict stuff... you may never know if you just hit the jackpot!

sven8705 wrote:You should name her Natasha, and then name the goblin Boris.

No, but seriously, Natasha. That's her name, nothing you say will convince me otherwise.

Good, Russian names, well at least I think so...
Blue_Cherry
Keenspot Despot

Back to Basics: The Brunette

Postby blakhan13 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Forgive me for saying so, but given the nature of EGS, I think that her name should have a direct symbolic meaning to her character (preferably keeping to EGS tradition where possible). Also, forgive the length, but I like to be thorough and I can assure you it is full of potential material.

The Brunette is sporting three major themes.
1. She's covered in green, which is rich with symbolic meaning
-growing plants, nature (clothing suggests martial arts training, and martial artists are often portrayed as being in balance with nature)
-life (similar to above, perhaps a gentle & caring girl [kicks ass for defensive purposes]) (could also reflect politcal views or upbringing [hippie parents. I don't know why her parents would be hippies, but it amuses me]).
-money (green is a rise in American stock markets, but a decrease in East Asian stock markets. A mixed blessing? She's a boon to some, a burden to others?)
2. She wears an emerald amulet, and amulets are almost exclusively magical.
-emerald as stone (May birthstone, tied to signs Cancer and Taurus, traditional gift for 55th anniversary)
-emerald as magic (protects chastity, wards evil spirits, cures epilepsy, dysentary, and bad eyesight).
-literature ("Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." Read ROCR? Green Knight survives being headless. Later, Sir Gawain is given a green sash that protects him from death. Green uniform offers similar supernatural protection? Perhaps it could put her on par with Damien's regen capabilities).
3. By stance, posture, eyes, and facial expression, I can safely say that she's hot, dangerous, serious about her work, and possibly "playful" (quotes represent multiple senses of the word, possibly leading to male frustration in a comic fashion).

With all that out of the way, I would generally steer toward the themes of green, forest, the 4 magical elements and magic in general, bravery and general kick-assedness, beauty, and possibly Japanese, Native American, or Druidic/Germanic names.

Green:
Chloe-"green shoot" in Greek. Female church leader mentioned in one of Paul's epistles.
Midori-"green" in Japanese
Fire:
Nina-Native American, means "fire" in Quechua
Water:
Maya-Derived from Hebrew מַיִם (mayim) "water"
Maris-English, Means "of the sea", taken from the Latin title of the Virgin Mary stella maris, meaning "star of the sea"
Morgan-Welsh, From the Old Welsh masculine name Morcant, which was possibly derived from Welsh mor "sea" and cant "circle". Also Arthurian sorceress Morgan le Fay
Naida-English/Greek, Possibly derived from the word naiad "water nymph"
Nerissa-English/Greek, Derived from Greek Νηρεις (Nereis) meaning "nymph, sea sprite", name of a character in Shakespeare's 'The Merchant of Venice'.
Amaya-Means "night rain" in Japanese.
Earth:
Demeter-(nickname Dee?[perhaps indicator of hippie parents]) Greek, Means "earth mother", Demeter was the goddess of agriculture, the daughter of Cronus(Time), the sister of Zeus(Weather), and the mother of Persephone(Queen of the Underworld)
Air:
Nephele-Means "cloudy" in Greek, created from a cloud by Zeus, who shaped the cloud to look like Hera in order to trick Ixion, a mortal who desired her. She's the mother of the centaurs by Ixion
Sora-Means "sky" in Japanese.
Magic:
Aubrey-English, feminine form of the Germanic name Alberic which meant "elf power", composed of the elements alb "elf" and ric "power". Alberic was the name of the sorcerer king of the elves in Germanic mythology.
Mala-Means "necklace" in Sanskrit
Nimue-Welsh, In Arthurian legends this is the name of a sorceress, also known as the Lady of the Lake, Vivien, or Niniane. Various versions of the tale have Merlin falling in love with her and becoming imprisoned by her magic
Forest:
Ashley-means "in the clearing among ash trees" in Old English (also my girlfriend's name, if I can lend that bias).
Chi-Means "tree branch" in Vietnamese, alludes to "chi power"
Linden-Old English linde "lime tree"
Moriko-Means "forest child" in Japanese
Beauty:
Akemi-Means "bright and beautiful" in Japanese
Anwen-Means "very beautiful" in Welsh.
Bravery/Kick-Assedness:
Kunigunde-(Last name?)Derived from the Germanic element kuoni "brave" combined with gund "war". Saint Kunigunde was the wife of Holy Roman Emperor Henry II
Nanna-from Old Norse nenna meaning "brave". In Norse legend she was a goddess who died of grief when her husband Balder was killed (tragic heroine character?)
Camilla-Feminine form of CAMILLUS. This was the name of a legendary warrior maiden of the Volscians, as told by Virgil in the 'Aeneid'
Eowyn-Means "horse lover" in Old English (mounted warrior-woman)
"A Pox On All That Lives And Breathes!"
blakhan13
Junior Keenspotter

Black Under-things

Postby blakhan13 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Okay, I'm a hog, but I decided to throw in two more after seeing the Brunette's images again.

Carey-From an Irish surname which was derived from
"A Pox On All That Lives And Breathes!"
blakhan13
Junior Keenspotter

Previous

Return to DEShive