Books

A place to discuss deshive.com, the central hub for Dan Shive's (author of El Goonish Shive) projects. It has blogs, too! ...but no pool table :(

Moderator: DarkShive

Books

Postby Deiwos on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:02 pm

I want to recommend books to you Dan, but it would help if we knew what kind of novels you tend to enjoy.
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:09 pm

Indeed. I'm a science fiction and fantasy fan myself, and I've read so many books and different authors that I could probably find a few you might like in those genres if you tell us your preferences.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Deiwos on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Heh, Lommy has much more experience with books than I do. (Even though IRL I'm basically the person to go to about novels. :roll: )
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby stumpster on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:13 pm

I would suggest the Pendragon series, I've been reading it for the past 3 years now. They just recently released the 6th book and I've always found them to be a good read. Although that may be because the protagonist is part of the 'teenage' group with me...so you may not find it as interesting.

D.J. Machale is the author IIRC. The story is bizarre if you don't start reading at the first book. I'll post up more tomorrow, or afterschool.
stumpster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Weep on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:14 pm

stumpster wrote:Although that may be because the protagonist is part of the 'teenage' group with me...so you may not find it as interesting.
Depending on what you mean, it might serve you to remember that Dan writes teenage characters. ;)
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:15 pm

if you need help with Science Fiction of the older kind, ask away...I also know a good bit of classical reads, and some of the stuff you don't always find....For instance, something like the Animorphs books, or even the couple of TRIGUN Manga I have...name something of usual taste, and I might know it.^^ I haven't read many books lately, but that's prolly gonna change with this thread's development.^^
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby Thylacine on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:44 pm

I'd recommend anything by Alan Dean Foster. He's done a dozen or so novelizations including Star Trek logs and a few movies.
Thylacine
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Loztein on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:00 am

(If you read Fantasy Books) Then I'd be forced to suggest the Wheel of Time series... It's a somewhat realistically figured-out Fantasy with an interesting seperation of Magic... I highly suggest it to One and All Fantasy readers, especially if you enjoyed LOTR, or The Hobbit. It's completely different, but you'll probably be the Ones to enjoy it. (There's also our furry friends with the Redwall series, but... I doubt that One very much.) Anything other than fantasy I can recommend? Not now, I'd have to find someone else.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby VOR on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:03 am

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay (he helped edit the Silmarillion, and was one of JRR's friends. The two obviously influenced each other, because the Fionavar Taperstry's a lot like LOTR, only better, in my opinion) is one of the things I'm in favor of everyone reading. It's simply beautiful.
"But first, I must meditate for a time." -Mahasamatman
VOR
Keenspot Deity

Postby Alavaria on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:11 am

Wheel of Time rocks, true.. but some bits get a bit .. tiresome.. yes?
Alavaria
Keenspot Deity

Postby Johan on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:05 am

Might I suggest a few 'classics'?

The entire Narnia series, a small 800 pages, should keep you busy.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, seen the movie? The book is better!
All the Harry Potter books, especially Four and Six.
Johan
Junior Keenspotter

Postby prinnyofantioch on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 am

Daniel Shive does not have a library card?! Wow, I'm surprised.

Since Daniel Shive claims to enjoy programming, he should read The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas. It's ultra quality stuff.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
-Bjarne Stroustrup

If you guys are bunnies, I'm a hare! BOOYA!
I wish I could change my screenname. Well, I could get a new account, but... meh.
prinnyofantioch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Pixelnator on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:25 am

Alavaria wrote:Wheel of Time rocks, true.. but some bits get a bit .. tiresome.. yes?

Tell me about it. I managed to read 1/6 of the first book and decided to stop.

My big brother has read almost all of them tough.

And besides, they are being evil to Finns. One English Wheel of Time is halved when translated to Finnish so we pay 2x the price to get two books whilst the actual content itself is egual to the first book in English.

Don't ask why, perhaps the translators are greedy?
Pixelnator
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Finland Finland Finland. The country where i like to be.

Postby KillerFish on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:28 am

Deiwos: Would have thought you'd suggest the Eddings(s).

If I may, Ian Irvine writes some good stuff. And that's not just because he once gave me a few writting tips.
The Honorable Right Reverend Lord Sir Killerfish of the KeenFans, Knight of the Bunny, Teacher of the Ars Largomorpha
My Squires: matthlord, Dayantis, FerretBob and Squato
"Alas, poor Daffyd, I know him OzLionHeart...
Condolences to all who knew him, and apologies...
I didn't know he was going to absent mindedly walk between Squata and I...
During our battle for supremecy over the universe...
But if I had, I still would have done it...
I owed him £5" - FerretBob
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Claidheamh on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:16 am

I recommend the authors Garth Nix and David Eddings. They are my two favorites.
http://users.livejournal.com/_claidheamh_/
Visit my crappy livejournal!
Claidheamh
Junior Keenspotter

Postby PsychosisPoet on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:15 am

prinnyofantioch wrote:Daniel Shive does not have a library card?! Wow, I'm surprised.

It's gotta be Daniel Edward Shive. Just gotta be.

I would have to say...Issac Asimov. Good old fashion intellgent Science Fiction. Dean Koontz is good too, but you kinda have to hunt for his good stuff. Er...Let me check my bookshelf...Ah, yes. Get some book that has all the Sherlock Holmes stories in it. Best reading I've ever done.

EDIT: Issac Asimov was allowed only two books a week from the library when he was a child, which was not enough for him, which is why he started to write. Maybe, in some way, it's kinda good Dan doesn't have a library card.
PsychosisPoet
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:45 am

Dan, I believe you are gooing to have more books sent to you, then you know what to do with.

:evilgrin:
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Donaby on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:52 am

for a quick fantasy recomendation, Steven Brust and his Taltos series are a fun read.

Lots of others as well, but outside of fantasy I am afraid I prefer books about molecular biology and imunology. :roll:

Don, wears a lab coat at least 5 days a weak
Donaby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cyril on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:06 am

I read some off the wall stuff, but the Incarnations of Immortality series (at least the first three) by Piers Anthony is a nice read, although not the best written in the world.

And I have alot more... but sadly my memory for authors is like my memory for Bands. Very, very sad and small.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby VOR on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:26 am

Books I love (read: Have read over and over again and they get a little better each time I read 'em) and have never heard a bad review of:

The Fionavar Tapestry- Guy Gavriel Kay

Anything Roger Zelazny ever wrote, but especially "The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth" and "Lord of Light".

Steven Brust's Taltos books.

The Riddlemaster of Hed series by Patricia McKillip

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, by the same.

The Saint-Germaine books by Chelsea Quin Yarbro (Actual GOOD vampire books, for once...none o' this overpowered Ann Rice dreck. A wee bit romance-novel-oid, but in a REALLY GOOD historical-fiction sorta way.)

Anything by Robert A. Heinlein (I've actually heard the beginnings of bad reviews but never the whole THING, because I've always managed to kill or incapacitate the speaker before they finished insulting RAH.)

LOTR, even though everyone knows 'em nowadays...

The Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin-young wizards learnin' the old FASHIONED way! By being chased around the world by nameless horrors!

The Big Book of Bunny Suicides. Shut up. I love that book.

The Hitchhiker's Guide books by Douglas Adams.

...I'm sure there are more, but I'm tired and my eyes ache from lack of sleep. That's enough books for now.
"But first, I must meditate for a time." -Mahasamatman
VOR
Keenspot Deity

Postby jhoyla on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:02 am

Roger Zelazny and Raymond E. Fiest are the best fantasy and Issac Assimov is the best for Sci - Fi but of course this is just guesses I don't know Dan's reading preference.
People can be made to believe any lie if they want it to be true or are afraid it might be. Wizards First Rule - Terry Goodkind
jhoyla
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ravenb on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:05 am

Personal favorites of mine:

* Anything by Orson Scott Card, especially Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and The Worthing Saga. Most of his stuff is science fiction, but he does some fantasy and historical fiction as well. All of his books are characterized by deep character development and some serious philosophical speculation.

* Anything by Jim Butcher. He has two published series: The Dresden Files, an urban fantasy/detective noir series about a wizard who solves mysteries in modern Chicago; and The Codex Alera, an epic set in a fantasy world that is inspired by Roman civilization rather than the more traditional medieval setting. Very different sorts of stories, but both are very well done.

* The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein -- the story of three misfits and a sentient supercomputer who conspire to start a libertarian revolution on Luna, a former prison colony that is slowly being stripped of resources by Terran exploitation. There's a fair amount of philosophizing here, but it's in service to the plot, and the characters are quite engaging (once you get used to the Lunar pastiche, which is a mixture of American, Australian and Russian speech patterns).

* Callahan's Crosstime Saloon and its sequels, by Spider Robinson. This series starts out as a collection of short stories, but grows into full-blown novels as it progresses. The story of a bunch of folks at a very unusual Long Island bar where ... well, let's just say that none of the characters in EGS would be out of place here. Including the uryuoms. :D The stories begin circa 1974 and continue through the present day, following the characters as they grow, change, and learn from each other. The Callahan Chronicals (yes, that's how it's spelled) encompass the first three books in the series.

* A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. A sprawling epic fantasy in a world where magic is scarce and mysterious and most of the "fantastic" races died out or disappeared centuries ago. The central plot focuses on two noble families, the proud and ascetic Starks and the ambitious and manipulative Lannisters, and a war of succession that they become embroiled in after the untimely death of the king. Meanwhile, as the "civilized" lands tear themselves to pieces with civil war, a horrific and supernatural threat is growing in the northern lands beyond The Wall, one that could well consume the unsuspecting world ... and the one man in a position to do something about it is the bastard teenage son of Lord Stark. Picture what Tolkien's epic fantasy might have looked like if he had put as much time and care into fleshing out each of his characters as he put into Middle-earth itself, and you'll get some sense of what this series is like. The story proceeds through the viewpoints of multiple characters, and all of their perspectives are interesting and engaging; you are constantly discovering new things about characters you thought you knew, and by Book 4 nearly every character in the series is at least somewhat sympathetic. This seven-volume series begins with A Game of Thrones and is currently just over halfway finished; book five comes out this fall.

* Dead Witch Walking and its sequels, by Kim Harrison. A cool urban fantasy series that takes place in an alternate history where the Cold War resulted in the accidental release of a biological weapon that wiped out a good chunk of humanity. In the resulting chaos, the supernatural races that had always lived alongside humanity -- the weres, witches, vampires, and others -- were unaffected by the plague and decided to "come out of the closet", joining forces to keep civilization running through the crisis. They refused to go back into hiding when the plague subsided, and now -- forty-odd years later -- the humans and the so-called "Inderlanders" maintain a tenous peace. The series focuses on a witch named Rachel Morgan who quits her job with Inderland Security -- sort of a mercenary police force/bounty hunter agency -- and goes into private practice as a detective. Unfortunately, she soon becomes entangled in a host of larger issues, including a bounty placed on her head by her former employers, a wealthy businessman/drug lord with a jealously-guarded secret, and a vampire partner who has been off blood for years and is beginning to show a keen interest in getting to know Rachel a whole lot better. This series suffers from uneven pacing early on, but it's worth it because the characters are so engaging and the world Harrison creates is so creative and entertaining.

That's all for now. :D
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
ravenb
Keenspot Despot

Postby CFriis on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 am

I can definately recommend the Earthsea trilogy, Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hitchhikers books and the Eric Manchild trilogy.
Classmates: Exciting Adventures, Teenage Angst and Coed Showers
My Wiki - Feel free to edit and add to it in any way you see fit.
At least partially responsible for the following Mayhem Laws of Physics: 15, 19, 43, 44, 44a, 53, 54, 56, 63, 71, 72, 79, 82 and the exception to 128.
CFriis
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:44 am

If you want a good page turner that you will want to rush to see the end. Then I should point you to the works of Matther Reilly.

His books are fast, action packed affiars, which are the naerest thing you will get to an action movie in a book (with the normal "making fun" of that fact).

As to what order you should read them, there isn't one really. As most of the books don't follow the other (but may, or may not be set in the same universe).

As to the books.

Temple- Set somewhat in the Scarecrow universe. He is writing the follow up now.

Contest- His first story, he later rewrote it (the version that is for sale now). This is being filmed now.

Ice Station/Area 7/Scarecrow (a.k.a. The Scarecrow series)- This is where he made a name for him self. It is also the series that has lead to others wanting to follow in his foot steps. Read Ice Station first to get into it (still one of his best).

Hover Car Racer (Crash Course in the US)-set to be a movie in the near future. The only one in it's own universe. It started as an online book, but was later turned into a real book in the end.

Seven Anciient Wonders (a.k.a. 7 Deadly Wonders in the US)- His latest work. I say no more.

READ THEM!

:P
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tiogshi on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:09 am

Highly reccomended by myself...

* Psychohistorical Crisis by Donald Kingsbury; if you like Asimov's Foundation series, you'll love this. Tribute and play with Asimov's works, a unique and enveloping story, and interesting dialogue on the natures of scale and entropy, and how these affects society, philosophy, and science.

* The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman; these two are well known in the Dragonlance community, and they are skilled and accomplished writers when writing their own, unique material. The Death Gate Cycle is a 7-book series on the fate of six worlds once one; a fascinating and massive fantasy epic.

* Aurian by Maggie Furey; this first book of a series of four is worth reading. The other three are not worth wasting money on, I'm very sorry to say. A beautiful fantasy tale, but the last three books of moderate-low quality due to their being rushed to press.

* Anything by C. S. Friedman; the Coldfire trilogy is for fantasy fans; the rest are excellent for people wanting a heady, emotional take on science fiction. Characters that you end up having very strong feelings about, whether for or against. Especially great novels if you want a really strong take on two cultures being so radically opposed that they almost must be drawn together.
(( Tiogshi Laj :: Average ASCII Artisan and Ambitiously Anachronistic Assonanteur ))
(( This post has been quad-ROT13 encrypted. Reading it violates the DMCA. ))
(( 我说很少的汉语,还我的语法平庸。 But at least I'm UNICODE-compliant. ))
(( Now with 50% more fuit jruice! Ask about our convenient bulk pricing! ))
ImageImage
Tiogshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to DEShive