A critique of the comic

Suck On That.

Moderator: Starline

A critique of the comic

Postby Pancakes on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:07 am

This isn't intended to be a flame or anything of that sort. These are just my thoughts on the comic.

I just registered on KS but I've been reading Candi since it started almost. Although I love the general IDEA of the comic being a real life/drama/romance type of comic, I don't find that the character is progressing much.

I agree when Alex said that Candi is very immature and I find it a sufficient enough reason for him to dump her. I think she's very whiny and needy and makes a big deal of small things (Although I realize some of these things are for comedic purposes ie. Learning she's lactose intolerant and she's upset because she can't have ice cream anymore!),

I think that when you're away to college/university though, you grow as a person. You take more risks, try new things, get over fears etc And I don't feel that Candi has done that at all. I'm in university currently and I like to think, or rather-I know, that I've grown as a person. I'm more outgoing, I am now able to do public speaking, I can take a challenge now, I stand up for myself more etc.

I know I know, you're thinking "Candi did a presentation for her art class and she's spoken before about her artwork"....but not before a few panels of freaking out and being "omg, I can't believe I have to speak publicly!" I'm just wondering when someone's going to take Candi, slap her around a little and make her wake up!

I also don't know what the heck is going on with the ferret and squirrels. I don't know if that whole story plot of squirrels vs. ferret is even needed. I like a good rodent as much as the next person, but a talking ferret? Talking squirrels? Ninja ferrets and squirrels? I think it just takes away from the whole comic. Needless to say, I don't enjoy the comic strips with squirrels and ferrets and I simply don't read them at all, but that's just my opinion, I know tons of people who read the comic enjoy them!

And lastly, although I can appreciate the time and effort that's put into the comic, I feel that having just the 3-4 panels makes the story move along very slowly. At times, I don't even want to check for updates because I know there won't be much of a progress with what's going on.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE! ... although I do have those above mentioned things that bother me about the comic, I'd just like to say that I really do genuinely enjoy it! Otherwise I wouldn't continue reading or checking for updates XD!

Don't take this as a beat down, just some criticism that may help you or may not. I remain a faithful reader!
:wink:
Pancakes
Pancakes
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Starline on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks for the critique! You make a lot of good points, but I'm going to just address one of them. :D

Even though the comic has been online 3 yrs, less than a year's time has passed in the comic itself. Candi's still in her second semester of her freshman yr, so.... it will still be a way aways before she can really grow as a character. I know there are plenty of people who experience radical changes in personality as soon as they go to college, but most take a few years to get out of their shell and learn new habits. :)
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Without the Menjou and the squirrels, I wouldn't be here. Well, okay, it isn't them, exactly. What it is, is a mind that produces a comic that includes BOTH college drama/comedy/whatever AS WELL AS flying ferrets and squirrel criminal syndicates (usually in the background, but they're there) is a mind that is capable of producing stories I can get interested in.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Pancakes on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 pm

Starline wrote:Thanks for the critique! You make a lot of good points, but I'm going to just address one of them. :D

Even though the comic has been online 3 yrs, less than a year's time has passed in the comic itself. Candi's still in her second semester of her freshman yr, so.... it will still be a way aways before she can really grow as a character. I know there are plenty of people who experience radical changes in personality as soon as they go to college, but most take a few years to get out of their shell and learn new habits. :)

Good call! I forgot she was still in her first year :) Well I'm patiently awaiting her progress :wink: And just as a side not, I actually have a roommate who's lactose intolerant but is in love with ice cream. She eats the stuff anyway and then complains about her bowels moving around, haha! There's a bit of Candi in her for sure :D

Take Care!
:D
Pancakes
Pancakes
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Candi