Lactose Intolerant?

Suck On That.

Moderator: Starline

Lactose Intolerant?

Postby Tanukitsune on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 am

I KNEW IT! :lol:

Hmm, does this mean Starline is lactose intolerant too? I think she talked about on the podcast, but my goldfish memory isn't helpful...

It's still a life changing thing, just not something that will ruin your life like an unplanned pregnancy will!

I have a hiatal hernia and there are many things I'm not allowed to eat, so I'm really interested in the story now! :3

I know I'd go insane if I could never eat ice cream again! :cry:
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby revulo on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:15 am

*BIG SIGH OF RELIEF*
Well...this is still a tragedy for Candi. No more ice cream, oh noes!! :o But can't she take a pill or something? I think there is one for lactose intolerance.
"Positate without pizazz and jam!"
revulo
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Duggan on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:47 am

revulo wrote:*BIG SIGH OF RELIEF*
Well...this is still a tragedy for Candi. No more ice cream, oh noes!! :o But can't she take a pill or something? I think there is one for lactose intolerance.

You're thinking of lactase enzyme, the most popular brand name of which is Lactaid. It's wonderful stuff except that you have to take it right before each dairy meal and it doesn't work for everyone.

That said, I'm mildly surprised they came back for results for it that quickly. My experience was that the only method of testing for it was having the person consume dietary products and then test for lactose intolerance in one of three methods: doubling up in pain, increased hydrogen output on their breath, or increased acidity in the stool. I wish there had been a nice easy test.

*sigh* It's really a very annoying thing for all that it's common for most people of non-European stock apparently. I miss being able to just drink a glass of milk. These days, I can't even eat pizza without popping lactase beforehand. Pizza generally doesn't give me the stomach cramps and bloating, but it still doesn't digest properly so it gives me a case of the skitters.
Duggan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby aorta321 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:21 pm

nooo! no ice cream??!

but Im glad she isn't pregnant
aorta321
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby blight182 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:47 pm

i remeber going though a month of thinking oh my god i cant be a parent cause i was being stupid. as far as ice cream goes there is that bland horrible tasteing stuff for people who cant take milk
blight182
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Marcos on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Duggan wrote:These days, I can't even eat pizza without popping lactase beforehand. Pizza generally doesn't give me the stomach cramps and bloating, but it still doesn't digest properly so it gives me a case of the skitters.

You might have some additional sort of allergy, then. Cheese, yoghurt, and other bacterially-processed forms of milk have little to no lactose in them.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby aorta321 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:07 am

I have a weird thing that dairy products react badly with my skin...so i only drink and eat rice products its not so bad but I cave in to dairy sometimes despite it
aorta321
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guairdean on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:07 am

I'm extremely lactose intolerant and I'll agree that Lactaid isn't much of a solution. I have found that Lactobacillus acidophilus in pill form (from Whole Foods, brand name DDS-100 with FOS) helps immensely. I started by taking two in the morning and two at night while avoiding dairy, after the first week I only take two each morning. I did this for a week. After a week of building up my internal flora this way, I decided to put it to a test. I left the house that morning and had a cheese omelet for breakfast, a couple of Krispy Kreme's for a mid morning snack, a cheeseburger for lunch, and a large malt for a mid afternoon snack. Normally, four ounces of milk produced extreme cramps and "explosive" results. This time there was some discomfort, but not much considering what I'd eaten. I also found "Breyer's Lactose Free Vanilla Ice Cream". The taste is better than most regular ice creams. Cheese is also ok if it's aged long enough, the sfot cheese normally used in sandwiches and cooking can be quite painful. The newer the cheese, the higher the lactose content. Drink whole milk, reduced fat has higher lactose. Above all, avoid anything that has whey listed as an ingredient. Whey is about fifty percent lactose and is used as a cheap sweetener. Soy milk is also good if you get the brand with vanilla or chocolate flavor added. They have a "lite" version that tastes the same as the regular. Chocolate silk on chocolate cereal is an interesting combination.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Stardrake_ on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:39 am

Marcos wrote:
Duggan wrote:These days, I can't even eat pizza without popping lactase beforehand. Pizza generally doesn't give me the stomach cramps and bloating, but it still doesn't digest properly so it gives me a case of the skitters.

You might have some additional sort of allergy, then. Cheese, yoghurt, and other bacterially-processed forms of milk have little to no lactose in them.

I have allergies to milk and soy protein (they're closely related) as well as lactose intolerance. Candi's got off easy from my perspective...

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that being allergic/intolerant to milk you drink doesn't necassarily mean you're allergic to everything dairy. Even with the protein allergy as well, I can get away with butter, as the churning process gets rid of both the lactose and the protein. (Ironically, margarine - which is what people who initially hear that I'm allergic usually offer me until corrected - almost always does have something put in that will react.)

On ice cream substitutes - there are various types of sorbets, and in Australia there's Vitari (the latter does have a small amount of soy which is bad for me unless I exercise moderation, however - and it's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure I can still have it). If you're lucky enough to have access to your own ice-cream making equipment, you can also make ice cream out of coconut cream (assuming you actually like coconut) - I've had people say that it's better than the traditional recipe.
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Selesen on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 am

Candi's right. Soy milk isn't the same.
That one kind of soy ice cream - soy dream or something like that - is really good though. Not the same, but good.
Selesen
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Guairdean on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Selesen wrote:Candi's right. Soy milk isn't the same.
That one kind of soy ice cream - soy dream or something like that - is really good though. Not the same, but good.

You need to try the Breyers. It's not soy, it's milk that's been treated with the lactase enzyme. Breaking down the lactose makes the ice cream a little sweeter.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Starline on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Guairdean wrote:
Selesen wrote:Candi's right. Soy milk isn't the same.

You need to try the Breyers. It's not soy, it's milk that's been treated with the lactase enzyme. Breaking down the lactose makes the ice cream a little sweeter.

It's SO GOOD. I wish they made it in strawberry and chocolate.
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Candi