Zelda and Metroid: the last 5 years

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

Zelda and Metroid: the last 5 years

Postby LumduL on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:20 am

How have the Zelda and Metroid games been for the last 5 years? When I was a kid, I played NES and SNES zelda and metroid games, then Ocarina of Time like a crack addict. Then I went off to college and now I am working, so I have not played many games in... 5 years or so. How have they been? I heard good things about the gamecube Metroid at one point. Any predictions for Wii?
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:52 am

Zelda hasn't changed much in terms of control since Ocarina of Time... just the visuals of Windwaker became cartoonish and it's a different Link... Metroid Prime... well that's a gigantic change.

Wikipedia can sum it up better than I can...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windwaker

Both series also had great handheld additions to the series that went back to it's roots. Capcom did some wonderful GBA Zelda games that played a lot like Link to the Past and big N did Metroid Fusion that gave Samus a new suit and Metroid Zero Mission that retells the original game... both of which play pretty much like Super Metroid.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LumduL on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:29 pm

What systems were those on? (I perked up when you said super metroid, I still play that game on weekend afternoons from start to finish :P)
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LumduL on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:07 pm

I just read the wikipedia pages. Wow... wow wow wow. They sure did a lot in 5 years. Now I really want to buy a gamecube just for the Metroid games. The Zelda games were always a nice relaxing genre, too.

How childish are the puzzles and gameplay? That is always one question that I cannot ignore when dealing with Nintendo.
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Well the puzzles and difficulty vary from game to game... Windwaker is pretty short but has the run of the mill "push this giant block into the trigger" kind of puzzles. Water plays a big part in Windwaker though and you have a boat which adds a new dimension. The Metroid Prime games have some rather complex puzzles to go through with Samus in morph ball mode. Both the Zelda and Metroid Prime games are some of the best that Gamecube has to offer... right under Resident Evil 4. ;)

The old school Zelda and Metroid games are on Gameboy Advance... you can probably pick them up for around 10 bucks a pop now. For Zelda it's Legend of Zelda: 4 swords (it's a remake of Link to the Past but designed for 4 players) and Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap... which is excellent, oldschool feel but Link has some new tricks like being able to shrink down to the size of a bug. For Metroid it's the two titles I already mentioned.

You can get a Gamecube pretty damn cheap these days and you can probably find the Metroid and Zelda games used dirt cheap. Also keep in mind the Wii is backwards compatible with Gamecube games... and both Metroid Prime 3 (which is the last in the Prime series) and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (which is a launch title) are going to be on Wii... Prime 3 is just a continuation except you aim with the wiimote now. Twilight Princess is being designed by the Majora's Mask team... it started as a Gamecube game and will still be coming out for Gamecube... but the Wii version lets you use the controller to aim your bow... swing the sword... fish... grappling hoot... etc.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LumduL on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:24 pm

So the Wii will be able to play the gamecube games? o.O that sounds neat. What about N64 games?

Is there a Wii controller? Or just the Wiimote?
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:48 pm

The Wii is coming packed with one Wiimote and nunchaku. There's all sorts of different attachments for the controller though... by itself the wiimote looks like a remote control with NES style buttons... but there's different "shells" you can put the wiimote into to make it a either like a Gamecube controller or even a lightgun. I think you'll have to buy the shells seperately though... Wii does play N64 games through emulation, meaning you have to download the game onto the hard drive using the wifi function and paying Nintendo for the rom.... same applies for the NES and SNES libraries as well as certain Genesis and Turbografx 16 games.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LumduL on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:53 am

That sounds pretty sweet. If my SNES eventually goes ka-put, I'll have some kind of backup :) I wonder if it will be as expensive as XBOX live stuff.

o.O wouldn't it be neat to play the metroid prime games with a lightgun? My pants are tight.
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shiroi Kaze on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:47 am

The pricing for the "Virtual Console" so far has been listed as $5 for NES games, $8 for SNES games, and $10 for N64 games. The pricing on the Genesis/Turbografx/MSX games hasn't been announced yet. There's supposed to be 60 games available for download by the end of the year with 10 new games added every month.... personally I think it's a little pricey expecially when the entire libraries can be downloaded for free and played via PC emulation... but then that is illegal I guess...

One of the first trailers for Metroid Prime 3 was hilarious, it was showing this guy diving behind his couch while shooting at the screen. While the game isn't that interactive you do still aim with the Wiimote.
Shiroi Kaze
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LumduL on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Haha. I agree with you that is quite pricey. I was thinking kinda like iTUNES... $1 per game :P
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sour Oblivion on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Nintendo just knows what many of us would be willing to pay for some nostalgia. For instance, I'd be willing to pay $8 for Super Metroid, especially since I would be able to play it with that SNES-style controller they're bringing out for the Wii. When I try to play these old games via PC emulation, it's never the same because I'm using a modern PC control pad that I always have to configure for the specific game I'm playing. And then there's the issue of certain ROMs freezing up and/or having jerky framerates (especially the N64 ones if your computer isn't quite high powered enough to handle them).

The only guarantee I want with this game download service is the ability to download the same game for free as many times as I need to download it after I've paid for it. What I mean is that I don't want to have to pay for the same game again if the ROM becomes corrupted or if I have to get a new Wii because the old one breaks down.

Anyway, back onto the topic...

The last Zelda game I truly enjoyed was Ocarina of Time. I guess you could say I've fallen out of love with the Zelda franchise. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it has something to do with the lack of a compelling story in Zelda games. I'm fine with mindless platformers such as the Mario and Sonic games not having an interesting story, but I really want to have an engrossing tale in the adventure games I play. Maybe this new GameCube/Wii Zelda will get me back into the Zelda franchise, but I doubt it.

I bought Metroid Prime a long time ago. It seemed like a good game at first -- a game in which you learned the story through exploration rather than one cutscene after another. But the horribly awkward controls ruined it for me. I've never been much of an FPS person, but I had a blast with Halo 2. Why? Because Halo 2's controls were incredibly intuitive and natural. Not so with Metroid Prime. Even after playing it for hours, I would still occasionally have to look down at the control pad to make sure I was pressing the right button. Some might call that a steep learning curve. I call it a poor control setup.

But in all fairness, the GameCube controller is probably the worst one of the 128-bit generation. The afterthought placement of the Z-trigger is terrible compared to the smart placement of it on the N64 controller. The C-stick (which should have been the same size as the regular control stick) is too small to be effectively utilized in a first-person shooter. The A button is gigantic. The X and Y buttons are weirdly placed and weirdly shaped. The L and R buttons are too big and take too much effort and time to press.

So it really doesn't surprise me all that much that Metroid Prime's creators resorted to such a terrible control scheme. Considering what they had to work with, I don't know if they could have done much better.

Don't get me wrong. I like my GameCube, but it is not a system for FPS games. In my opinion, Metroid Prime should have been a 2D game. Can you imagine the kind of mind-blowing graphics they could have squeezed onto that disc by making the entire thing 2D? The detail level probably would have been off the charts for a GameCube title.
Sour Oblivion
Junior Keenspotter

Postby LumduL on Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:16 am

I will agree with you that the gamecube controller looked like a never-healing-sore-thumb but the wiki makes it sound like everyone fell in love with prime as an FPS.

Maybe I should ebay my SNES before the Wii comes out :-D
Wish I was a SexyLoser.
LumduL
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to God Mode