Silent Hill - Silent success or Hill-billy horror?

The only gaming webcomic that's 100% Jack Thompson joke free!

Moderators: Mike Rosenzweig, Braidboy, Shiroi Kaze

How do you think the movie fairs?

P-head wil slice the box office for weeks to come!
No votes
A good game movie. Take that, Mario Mario.
20%
West Virgina is a nice place to visit...
20%
It looks like this movie forgot to get out before the warning call.
No votes
More retarded then "Cube head"
No votes
... what's with all the stupid game-based review jokes?
60%

Total votes : 5

Silent Hill - Silent success or Hill-billy horror?

Postby Ripraptor on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm

I'll say this, spoiler free, and nothing more.

The movie had moments, but the space between felt like a lot of talking and shuffling. Which, granted, is a pretty true video game feel, and there was even one moment where you can pretty much see the "I'm forcing you to pick up the shiny rather you like it or not" (fyi - the bathroom), but it was like watching some one else play an ok+ ish game. There were moments where you really wanna scream "run! jump! up down left right start!!" but know it'll get you nothing but a quick swift kick to the shin.

Overall, the themes were cool, though sometimes the effects did look a little cheezy (specially a few of the FPV jumps), and that cop character... she had like... 0 reason for going that far above and beyond duty, sept for maybe like one line they mention about her. Which was one other minor gripe - development. I know who the main characters are, but even though most of the characters that have name do in some way or another spend at least 1/3rd of the movie on screen, barely any of them are explained. They're just kinda limbs all working to the main character's goal, again, especially that cop. The husband gets the shaft more then a few times.

In closing.

Weird opening.
Weak characters.
Shuffle and scuffle and dragging feet between action.
Monsters that make you cringe. (there will be no women seated properly during the P-head vs. red-head scene.)
Main characters doing weird things to solve "the puzzles".
Weird ending that you can see coming if you pay enough attention.

All and all, it's a nice, 2 hour game, but a not so nice 2 hour movie.
Dog is man's best friend.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
The Infinate Rocket Launcher is my best friend.
Ripraptor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby BlakeoftheSky on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:12 am

I can concur with much of this.

Something I really liked about the movie though, was that they never used that silence-shattering jump out at you scare gag. Their horror was always lead into, or you'd see the monster, have a moment to be like "Oh shit." and then it's scary. I really appreciated that in comparison to other horror genre productions lately.

A handful of the actions felt like they were solely for the sake of pushing the story forward, like why the hell Rose would run from the cops. *shrug*

I went to see it though for the sake of seeing a movie that might be a good videogame to movie emulation, and in that aspect, it may be the best I've seen. It's still not great, but for it's intents and purposes, the movie conveyed the themes and feel of the game pretty well. The game can traumatize you, horrify you, disturb you, scare you, make you turn all the lights in the house on when you go to the bathroom at night, and the movie came pretty close.

My job is in the realm of visual effects, and I have to say that the ones in the movie were well done. Some, like Pyramid head were obviously CG, but there were so many gruesome things that even made me cringe. I thought I was hardened to gore and violence from all the crap I'd seen, but they train the camera on the death where other movies would pan offscreen and just give you audio, and it was startling.

I seem overly positive about this movie to myself though, but I had the lowest expectations for this movie going into it, being a videogame movie, and being of the horror genre. I haven't gone into a movie with high hopes since the Matrix Reloaded. What a dissappointment.
Aspiring for mediocrity.
BlakeoftheSky
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ripraptor on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:30 am

Well, when I mentioned bad effects, I was recalling the scene in the bathroom, where they focused on the changing/bleeding of the walls. It looked almost pixelated.

But ya, I forced myself to be critcal when making that post, becuase I knew that I am an easy sell on a movie. I very rarely hate anything.
(Come on, I liked the Mario Bros. movie. Something is wrong with me.)
Ripraptor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DaDjango on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 pm

I enjoyed the movie. It was cheesy at some points. And I found it funny that Sean Bean's character pretty much had no point, except telling you hints of what you'll find out in-depth later on.

I was pleased with some of the stuff they did. Especially making Pyramid Head cool. He's an awesome design (But at the same token dumb)... P-Head in Silent Hill 2 he was kinda small, not very threatening when you can topple the guy on his big ol' head.

Though, my biggest dissapointment was the ending... Didn't really fit, and right before that... The death scenes... Where the people get split in half with barbed-wire kinda looked... Sci-Fi original movie quality.

However, in spite of that, I saw it a second time, and I loved the movie. But hell, I wasn't expecting it to turn out like the game.

(On a side note; The Puppet-Nurse scene... Was it directed by the same director's of 'Bring It On'?)

((On a different side note... I enjoyed the Mario movie as well... I even have the movie cards in a little binder in my closet... With all my other trading cards... That I should label, 'My Wasted 90's'))
DaDjango
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jacob-shipley on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:40 am

ive not seen it (untill monday im too young) but all the people i know whove seen it loved it so im gonna have to with the last option
what goes here?
jacob-shipley
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BlakeoftheSky on Wed May 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Ripraptor wrote:(Come on, I liked the Mario Bros. movie. Something is wrong with me.)
XD I referenced the Mario Brothers movie in my blog when I reviewed the Silent Hill movie!

The Mario Brothers movie, though being absurdly far from having anything to do with the game, was an awesome movie.

I'd only be worried if you said you liked the Street Fighter movie. All-American, Air Force, Tattoo of the American flag wearin' Guile, with a FRENCH ACCENT?! WTF?
Aspiring for mediocrity.
BlakeoftheSky
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ripraptor on Thu May 04, 2006 2:13 am

Bah. The Mario Bros. movie, while dangerously far from anything close to mario brothers, was atleast A) Trying to be funny and B) no way insulting if you just took it in stride. (I mean, come on, you wanna talk about great fake outs in the Mario world? Let's talk about Doki doki panic.)

SF, on the other hand... jesus. Honda was Hawaiian, Guile was French, Vega was Indian, Charlie was Blonka, Dhalsim was a doctor (working for Bison!) and Bison?! Bison was freaking Gomez Adams! I am sorry; Raul Julia can make a great character actor, and he can be funny, charming, devonaire, and maybe even a hint evil, but he is NOT Bison material. Rest the poor man's heart, I'm sorry that had to be his last roll.

... but I've really digressed. Ummm... I think this is funny - they had a chance to show some typical, horror movie nudity, but chose not to. That's pretty funny. But she went from nude to fillet in like... 3 seconds, so...
Ripraptor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby BlakeoftheSky on Mon May 08, 2006 2:36 pm

Ripraptor wrote:Bah. The Mario Bros. movie, while dangerously far from anything close to mario brothers, was atleast A) Trying to be funny and B) no way insulting if you just took it in stride. (I mean, come on, you wanna talk about great fake outs in the Mario world? Let's talk about Doki doki panic.)

SF, on the other hand... jesus. Honda was Hawaiian, Guile was French, Vega was Indian, Charlie was Blonka, Dhalsim was a doctor (working for Bison!) and Bison?! Bison was freaking Gomez Adams! I am sorry; Raul Julia can make a great character actor, and he can be funny, charming, devonaire, and maybe even a hint evil, but he is NOT Bison material. Rest the poor man's heart, I'm sorry that had to be his last roll.

... but I've really digressed. Ummm... I think this is funny - they had a chance to show some typical, horror movie nudity, but chose not to. That's pretty funny. But she went from nude to fillet in like... 3 seconds, so...
Best triple game-movie review ever.

And holy flyin' crap! I didn't know Bison's actor was Gomez!!
Aspiring for mediocrity.
BlakeoftheSky
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ripraptor on Tue May 09, 2006 10:46 am

Not to keep this topic off topic, but yes. Raul Julia. Good actor. That was his last roll, poor devil.
Ripraptor
Junior Keenspotter

Return to God Mode